• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Any good stuff that's similar to Defeated Sanity? Technical Brutal Death Metal
But more like Disposal of the dead rather than Dharmata.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Any good stuff that's similar to Defeated Sanity? Technical Brutal Death Metal
But more like Disposal of the dead rather than Dharmata.
interesting that you point to those two albums. Disposal of the Dead is purposefully a more direct tribute to old BDM masters like Brodequin and Disgorge (Cali). So if you were wondering where that sound came from that would be a good place to start. Many bands are still carrying this torch, particularly in places like Indonesia. Try a few of these.

Reduced (IDN) - Majesty from Within

one of my recent favorites from the Indonesian scene. Very raw, well played, and most importantly stylistically on point.

Abhorrent Castigation (DEU) - Throne of Existential Abandonment

feat. Lille Gruber, might as well be another Defeated Sanity offshoot.

Putridity (ITA) - Ignominious Atonement

fucking insane musicians, pretty noticeably one of the more extreme bands in the straight BDM realm.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
interesting that you point to those two albums. Disposal of the Dead is purposefully a more direct tribute to old BDM masters like Brodequin and Disgorge (Cali). So if you were wondering where that sound came from that would be a good place to start. Many bands are still carrying this torch, particularly in places like Indonesia. Try a few of these.

Reduced (IDN) - Majesty from Within

one of my recent favorites from the Indonesian scene. Very raw, well played, and most importantly stylistically on point.

Abhorrent Castigation (DEU) - Throne of Existential Abandonment

feat. Lille Gruber, might as well be another Defeated Sanity offshoot.

Putridity (ITA) - Ignominious Atonement

fucking insane musicians, pretty noticeably one of the more extreme bands in the straight BDM realm.

Love all 3 of them! Especially Abhorrent and Putridity. Insane talent from these bands

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting list, but the lack of Gorefest is troubling, especially as their comeback albums La Muerte and Rise to Ruin is my favorite Death Metal one-two punch of the previous decade and have become two of my all-time favs. Each song is just super heavy and steamrolling over you, Ed Warby's insane drumming, de Koeyer's raw and unique voice that sounds as if he's gonna rip your head off any second, great lyrics...absolute masterpieces in my opinion.

Never heard of them.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
Didn't see any mentions for Amon Amarth or Suffocation. Both have some good songs.

I usually listen to Death. Just watched the documentary on Prime.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see this thread I read the title as "I think this forum needs more Darth Maul"

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Acid Bath are great, they aren't on streaming but I have both of their studio albums and their demo compilation albums.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Interesting list, but the lack of Gorefest is troubling, especially as their comeback albums La Muerte and Rise to Ruin is my favorite Death Metal one-two punch of the previous decade and have become two of my all-time favs. Each song is just super heavy and steamrolling over you, Ed Warby's insane drumming, de Koeijer's raw and unique voice that sounds as if he's gonna rip your head off any second, great lyrics...absolute masterpieces in my opinion.

Never heard of them.
Reading that and looking at your list I almost couldn't believe this, but it seems they weren't that well-known outside of Europe, where they were quite popular in the 90s. They toured with bands like Carcass, Death and Deicide back then, shortly after their reunion I saw them alongside Obituary. Check out their (critically-acclaimed) comeback album La Muerte, I'd be very surprised if you didn't like it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the title and came in to tag Morrigan. Should have known she'd be the first reply. :p

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Tomb Mold's Planetary Clairvoyance is one of the best Death metal albums to come out in a long time. If you haven't heard it you should check it out.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Great post. As I was reading the replies I was hoping someone would mention Demilich.

Nespithe is my favorite album, I hope they release new music now that they are playing shows again. No one quite does it like they do and I'm starving for it.

If anyone has recommendations for bands that do the Demilich style arpeggio riff thing, I'm all ears. The ones I know about are Denial, Crematory (Sweden), Chthe'ilist, Nucleus, some Blood Incantation songs do it, there's hints of it in a lot of other new OSDM, but it's surprisingly rare for a band to embrace the style give how cult they are.

seeing them live again at MDF2020, can't wait.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Nespithe is my favorite album, I hope they release new music now that they are playing shows again. No one quite does it like they do and I'm starving for it.

If anyone has recommendations for bands that do the Demilich style arpeggio riff thing, I'm all ears. The ones I know about are Denial, Crematory (Sweden), Chthe'ilist, Nucleus, some Blood Incantation songs do it, there's hints of it in a lot of other new OSDM, but it's surprisingly rare for a band to embrace the style give how cult they are.

seeing them live again at MDF2020, can't wait.

Adramelech (FIN)

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
ah right I knew I was forgetting a band or two in the list!
yeah haha I kinda figured. They're absolutely the first band I think of when it comes to the Demilich sound, and they don't even come off as worship to me. One other modern act that is more along the lines of emulation would be Cosmic Atrophy.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
yeah haha I kinda figured. They're absolutely the first band I think of when it comes to the Demilich sound, and they don't even come off as worship to me. One other modern act that is more along the lines of emulation would be Cosmic Atrophy.

Nice. One of the details a lot of bands miss when doing "Demilich riffs" is that the bass and two guitars in Demilich are often not playing identical parts, and this band seems to have paid attention.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Acid Bath's "When the Kite String Pops" is some of the most twisted, filthy music in extreme metal. Easily in my top 10 GOAT albums. There's no other album that gets me more pumped to lift things
Their second album is great too. Bleed Me An Ocean and Venus Blue are some of my favourite songs by them.

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
I've just gone through the thread and made a Spotify playlist of the songs posted that I could find. I skipped any full albums though. But I made the playlist collaborative, so feel free to add, just don't be a dick. Enjoy...

Edit again : And apple music :

edit> oh i'll try to keep it updated if i can

I'll come back and post some songs in a bit, need coffee

Last edited:

deftech

Oct 29, 2017

Great technical death metal.

I guess they're more deathcore then straight death metal, but they're really good.

Classic song, one of the first death metal bands/songs I got into as a kid.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
Ayakasi Kagura : a solo project from Japan. This is from the forthcoming 2nd album due out in November I think :

...and from the 1st album (Zan Kyo) :

And a favourite, Anaal Nathrakh - Forward!

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I've just gone through the thread and made a Spotify playlist of the songs posted that I could find. I skipped any full albums though. But I made the playlist collaborative, so feel free to add, just don't be a dick. Enjoy...

Edit again : And apple music :

edit> oh i'll try to keep it updated if i can

I'll come back and post some songs in a bit, need coffee
That's awesome! :D Thank you for your efforts.
Love to see more band recommendations on here :)

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome! :D Thank you for your efforts.
Love to see more band recommendations on here :)

No problem, its a really good playlist thanks to everyone who posted!
Might aswell post a few more favourite songs I like while I'm here huh?

Behemoth - Bartzabel

Drug Honkey - Sins Of The Solar Temple

Coffinworm - High On The Reek Of Your Burning Remains

Went off into sludge / doom there with the last two