• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
34180.jpg

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
instead of imagining colonists dressed as native americans dumping tea into the harbor

why not PLAY as a part-native american in a recreated simulation as you dump tea into the harbor?

Assassins_Creed_3.Screenshots.98.jpg

the villain of this game was charles lee, lol

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Heed not the rabble who scream revolution. They have not your interests at heart

Chaos and bloodshed are not a solution
Don't let them lead you astray. This Congress does not speak for me

They're playing a dangerous game. I pray the king shows you his mercy.

For shame, for shame

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is a parody thread, but the alternate history of what happens if America doesn't revolt and instead peacefully becomes an independent nation years down the line has always interested me.

Like, the British abolished slavery well before the US, but does that still happen if there's still a huge reliance on a slave economy in what would still be British colonies in the South? Westward expansion probably doesn't happen in the same way so the North American continent is most likely a bunch of smaller countries, which would almost definitely mean war in one way or another. You look at the other Western British colonies (Canada, Australia, New Zealand), and I think they're all better places to live than the US (biased as an Australian) with superior forms of government. But then you look at South Africa and you think, well hang on is that actually the best comparison because of the racial element. But then again, it's not exactly comparable because it's not like the colonists were the minority in the US.

I need an alt-history novel on this.
Interesting thing to consider for this alt-history is how much the continuation of the North American colonies as colonies would have also meant the stunting of the industrialization of North America (which England was already still attempting to do even after the war was over, but they obviously had more of an ability to control it), which, in turn, might mean no cotton gin (and thus in turn stunts the resurgence in slavery that happened). Could introduce all sorts of tilts into the discussion.

OP
OP
zeuanimals

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Hell, the Boston tea party wasn't even a reaction to tea taxes. They were reacting to tax cuts and subsidies to the EIC.

Not to mention the taxes were all to pay for the massive debts incurred by the French & Indian War/Seven Years War...that the colonists started.

Man, I just love learning more about this great country. Thank you.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hell, the Boston tea party wasn't even a reaction to tea taxes. They were reacting to tax cuts and subsidies to the EIC.

Not to mention the taxes were all to pay for the massive debts incurred by the French & Indian War/Seven Years War...that the colonists started.

Yeah, that last part. They really weren't all that major, nor punitive. The crown was trying to pay its war debts for a war the colonists dragged the larger empire into which is reasonable. It's pretty much never taught though.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
The really funny thing is there are 4 million Americans right now with no federal representation in Congress vs the estimated 2.5 million that lived in the colonies in 1776.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
There were no good guys in that war, but as an American I had the same thoughts as the op the last time I read about it.

Yeah, that last part. They really weren't all that major, nor punitive. The crown was trying to pay its war debts for a war the colonists dragged the larger empire into which is reasonable. It's pretty much never taught though.

My US history classes from 1st grade to 12th grade were more concerned with knowing the dates of events. Recently had to take US history again in college and that was the only time I had to know the cause of events.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I will say in the colonists defense, however, that not all of the founding fathers were gibbering morons about things. Ben Franklin actually had a pretty measured response in that he and other early patriots did actually understand why the taxes were happening and that they actually did have some responsibility for those taxes (part of the reason the British community came down as hard as they did was because the colonists were actually paying *less* taxes than the mainland citizens, which makes the complaints about unfair treatment pretty delightful). The issue really was the whole representation thing, and the suggestion was floated that the colonies get representatives in Parliament (versus there being token representation by people who owned land in the colonies and occasionally spent time there, but didn't actually, like, represent the people). There was even support for it by Wade Boggs approved prime minister William Pitt the Elder. Shitbags in parliament shot it down, though, and that did make things worse.

History is complicated.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
My understanding is that there was a tea black market that relied on smugglers and they just used the tax thing as an excuse to get rid of the legal competition.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
The Boston Tea Party wasn't about taxes, but the removal of EITC import tarrifs, thus undercutting the colonial merchants.

The crown wanted to cut out the middle men, and they didn't take kindly to it.

Edit: See it's already been covered. Carry on ☕

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is important to note that that the early colonists were people who wanted to get out of GB and that didn't end with the first colonist. The desire to get away from GB continued for hundreds of years. This was instilled in the culture of the Colonies because of people from GB moving across a fucking ocean to get away from GB. You really think that a collection of colonies formed by people that wanted to escape GB would perpetually want to be part of their colonies? This would have been inevitable and if /s/ GB would have just recognized this inevitability, they would have set the colonies free for the asking /s/.

Anyway, to address the thread creator, fucking well done

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Why so sad? I thought that we made an arrangement when you went away

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I know this is a parody thread, but the alternate history of what happens if America doesn't revolt and instead peacefully becomes an independent nation years down the line has always interested me.

Like, the British abolished slavery well before the US, but does that still happen if there's still a huge reliance on a slave economy in what would still be British colonies in the South? Westward expansion probably doesn't happen in the same way so the North American continent is most likely a bunch of smaller countries, which would almost definitely mean war in one way or another. You look at the other Western British colonies (Canada, Australia, New Zealand), and I think they're all better places to live than the US (biased as an Australian) with superior forms of government. But then you look at South Africa and you think, well hang on is that actually the best comparison because of the racial element. But then again, it's not exactly comparable because it's not like the colonists were the minority in the US.

I need an alt-history novel on this.
Well the thing is a peaceful independence was most likely not going to happen ever.

The Divine Right of Kings was still a thing, admittedly weaker in England due to Parliament but was still a thing.

Love or hate the American Revolutionaries (most of the colonial citizens did) they were challenging a concept that had never been challenged successfully before.

There were scholars and the like who were already against the concept, even some within Catholic hierarchy, but it was a mostly accepted concept that Kings were kings and could not be over thrown except by other royalty.

No matter it's reasons for starting, there is a real possibility that if the American Revolution never happened, the fall of the European monarchies wouldn't have happened either.

I do find it a bit funny that King Louis of France basically ensured his own overthrow by helping the American Revolution, which is also funny because part of the reasons for the American Revolution was the French-Indian War.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I would argue: it's a fact.
I'm only a student of history not an expert, so I try to coach my words that way. It could indeed be a fact, I am pretty sure the French Revolution wouldn't have happened without out the American Revolution but when it comes to history I dislike to speak in absolutes because I don't have the education required

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
To quote racist white folks when they speak on refugees, why didn't your forefathers "stay in their country and make it better instead of running away"

Oct 27, 2017
Has this parody looped back on itself? Double irony? Irony squared? Are we getting into Alanis Morisette levels of irony?

I'm just asking questions.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
At least you would've gotten free healthcare if you traitors hadn't rebelled!

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I don't get what they were trying to achieve with "Give me liberty, or give me death". You lose people with snappy and radical sounding slogans like hat.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I thought this was going to be about leaving the house of commons/house of lords behind

I probably would have been a loyalist tbh