• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if MS will put out an updated version of their controller to include similar features at some point?
If DualSense gains any real traction here they probably will. Midcycle standard controller revisions responding to the market aren't exactly uncommon (PCE 6 button, MD 6 button, SS NiGHTS pad, PS1 DualShock, Xbox Type S, PS3 DualShock, Wii Motion Plus, 3DS Circle Pad Pro/n3DS, probably others I'm forgetting).

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
First thing my son did was turn every single feature of the controller off.
as a pretty serious souls/Bourne player he said all that stuff is distracting.
Other than that he likes the feel but wishes the sticks were asymmetrical.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
« Serious gamers » rejecting next gen haptics and triggers, remind me of the ones who didn't embrace gyros. So serious they do not enjoy progress induced by change.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I wonder if MS will put out an updated version of their controller to include similar features at some point?

I was very unimpressed with the lack of ambition in the new XSX controller, it's almost identical to the previous controller. I can't really tell any differences. Maybe the dpad is a bit nicer.

They had better. It's going to be incredibly sad if Bethesda and Id games are locked out of this experience. I want to feel the bow string tension in the next Elder Scrolls game.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
Reading all those DualSense impressions over the internet I can definitely see that happening for a number of people. That thing is getting really good feedback.

So now it is in the hands of the developers to use this thing in cool ways otherwise it obviously will not be a deciding factor for long.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
They had better. It's going to be incredibly sad if Bethesda and Id games are locked out of this experience. I want to feel the bow string tension in the next Elder Scrolls game.

Extremely this.

For me is for Forza Horizon 5 (Japan please) & Sea of thieves, I want to feel all that can be felt in these 2 games !

Petition needed.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
« Serious gamers » rejecting next gen haptics and triggers, remind me of the ones who didn't embrace gyros. So serious they do not enjoy progress induced by change.
Maybe just maybe they want to enjoy the game and prefer not to have controller gimmicks forced. Which is why the option is there to turn it off.

And a person like myself who doesn't have proper feeling in there hand from strokes needs to turn that stuff off because it creates a weird sensation in your hand/body when on.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly spending some time with the DualSense the last couple days, I am blown away by it in a way I didn't expect.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Maybe just maybe they want to enjoy the game and prefer not to have controller gimmicks forced. Which is why the option is there to turn it off.

And a person like myself how doesn't have proper feeling in there hand from strokes needs to turn that stuff off because it creates a weird sensation I'm your hand/body when on.
2nd point is legit. 1st one is not. A gimmick is unuseful. In this case we know it can add informations that serve gameplay; and it increases immersion, creating an illusion of holding what you are supposed to hold. Probably helps getting quicker in the zone and certainly putting more senses into contribution.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Eh I have the ps5 as well and I feel it's too gimicky for me.
This is me. Yet another supposedly "gamechanging" feature that imo truly changes nothing. It's fun but I very much doubt it'll actually meaningfully change the way we play our games. Meanwhile, actual gamechangers like gyro aiming (which massively improves gameplay rather than simply add texture) will continue to fail to take hold.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
2nd point is legit. 1st one is not. A gimmick is unuseful. In this case we know it can add informations that serve gameplay; and it increases immersion, creating an illusion of holding what you are supposed to hold. Probably helps getting quicker in the zone and certainly putting more senses into contribution.
First one is to if it dicks with your timing. My son is playing Demon Souls and said it was distracting. He always turn that stuff off in games where you need precision timing. So that seems pretty valid reason.

It's cool what they are trying to do as long as you can always turn it off.

I think I might like it in racing games but that's about it for me.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
First one is to if it dicks with your timing. My son is playing Demon Souls and said it was distracting. He always turn that stuff off in games where you need precision timing. So that seems pretty valid reason.

It's cool what they are trying to do as long as you can always turn it off.

I think I might like it in racing games but that's about it for me.

Could be a personal thing. Have you tried it yourself?

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
A gimmick is unuseful. In this case we know it can add informations that serve gameplay; and it increases immersion, creating an illusion of holding what you are supposed to hold. Probably helps getting quicker in the zone and certainly putting more senses into contribution.
Gimmicks aren't unuseful. By definition they are of little value, not of no value whatsoever. They serve more to add flavor than actually provide meaningful additions to the gameplay. Think of the 3D on the 3DS, everything you just said applies to that feature as well (it can add informations that serve gameplay; and it increases immersion, creating an illusion of holding what you are supposed to hold seeing what you are supposed to see. Probably helps getting quicker in the zone and certainly putting more senses into contribution) and yet here we are 9 years later and it barely changed anything.
Time will tell if DualSense is any different but personally I'm not too fussed about it. It's fun but I'm not suddenly finding myself wishing the Series X or Switch controllers were like this, is what I mean.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Gimmicks aren't unuseful. By definition they are of little value, not of no value whatsoever. They serve more to add flavor than actually provide meaningful additions to the gameplay. Think of the 3D on the 3DS, everything you just said applies to that feature as well (it can add informations that serve gameplay; and it increases immersion, creating an illusion of holding what you are supposed to hold seeing what you are supposed to see. Probably helps getting quicker in the zone and certainly putting more senses into contribution) and yet here we are 9 years later and it barely changed anything.
Time will tell if DualSense is any different but personally I'm not too fussed about it. It's fun but I'm not suddenly finding myself wishing the Series X or Switch controllers were like this, is what I mean.
Great answer and very good analogy. I enjoyed 3D a lot in many 3DS games, I got my best records in Pilotwings with 3D on. But it didn't work flawlessly which was annoying, if not distracting.

With the Dual Sense, we are talking about a technology beyond visuals, that sends feedback: sensations, informations, clues. It will surely be poorly implemented sometimes. Yet I have little doubt, based on so many previews I read, that it will be a game changer in many titles. Like, gameplay will be more satisfying with it than without.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, the DualSense doesn't really move the needle for me. It's amazing in Astro's Playroom, which makes sense as it's a showcase for the feature set of the controller. And rather than that being the floor, I think that's the ceiling of the experience we'll see with the controller. I have confidence that first-party developers are going to use the haptics in some really cool ways, but I don't think foresee third-party developers using it in a way that elevates the game to a game-changing degree. For many titles, I'll end up disabling the features altogether unless they are integral to the experience (e.g. Astro).

I would write this same post, word for word to describe myself.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Great answer and very good analogy. I enjoyed 3D a lot in many 3DS games, I got my best records in Pilotwings with 3D on. But it didn't work flawlessly which was annoying, if not distracting.

With the Dual Sense, we are talking about a technology beyond visuals, that sends feedback: sensations, informations, clues. It will surely be poorly implemented sometimes. Yet I have little doubt, based on so many previews I read, that it will be a game changer in many titles. Like, gameplay will be more satisfying with it than without.
I hope you're right. If you are, we all win! Well... at least those of us with access to a PS5, that is. :D

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...the Switch joycons arent even on the same galaxy as the PS5 controller, The haptics on the Switch feel insignificant compared to the PS5
I disagree. Quick resume is the secret sauce if anything. That's the most next gen feature on the new consoles IMO.

I have a ps5 and a xsx. I think the dualsense features are nifty but mostly when actually playing games I either forget about it or find it annoying because the controller is rumbling too much. As ACG said, I have no beef with the dual sense features but if this impresses you in any major way then you are easily impressed.

Lol what? The features in Astros playroom are legitimately impressive and show that the experience can be completely changed with the controller. You might not care for it, but it's a groundbreaking feature in the way you can interact with games.

Quick resume and swap are like the most logical features of an SSD, it will be coming to the PS5 too.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
This gen is great because the consoles are different in execution but they're both very good in their own way. Choice is always good and if you prefer one over the other I don't think you can go wrong

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Is this before or after they figure out how to add folders back in... again.
Probably sooner since a dev source has been told it's coming, and while folders relate to the entire visual make up of the UI, quick resume is about partitioning the SSD so states can be saved and is likely quicker and easier to implement than folders.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Im not buying games for the Dualsense or choosing my next gen console for that alone but its a neat feature for sure.

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
The DualSense is amazing, but I still have my doubts about how much support the controller will get by 3rd parties. I have no doubts that the additional functionality it will be integrated in most Sony games, but 3rd parties traditionally don't integrate platform specific features very often.

I'm also somewhat concerned with Sony's commitment to backwards compatibility in the long run, so I'll be buying most of my games on Xbox Series X unless a 3rd party dev integrates the DualSense well.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Based on what I've experienced in Astro's Playroom so far, I've been much more engaged by the monkey suit motion controls and the astro ball trackpad use, which are using features that have been in the PS controller since last gen. The haptics/resistive trigger use I've experienced so far just hasn't elevated the core gameplay or immersion enough for me to say that I'd just have to play a game on PS5 to experience those things. Bow string tension is cool, and likewise feeling the patter of rain drops, but they're not dealbreakers.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
Yup I've been convinced by the DualSense. I plan on getting all multiplats on the ps5 for the foreseeable future even though I have a PC.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno....it's really cool in Astro, but I played a little Call of Duty last night and it kind of got in the way. Like, it's cool that they can make the triggers harder to pull in to simulate a gun, but I'm not sure I want that all the time.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah...the Switch joycons arent even on the same galaxy as the PS5 controller, The haptics on the Switch feel insignificant compared to the PS5
The Switch joycons are almost 4 years old at this point. I feel like people bringing them up aren't doing so because the haptics are at all equivalent to the DualSense directly, only that the situations are similar.

'HD Rumble' was also something of a notable leap forward, also used impressively in a launch 1st party minigame comp (to the point it's designed around NOT looking at the screen) and also largely unacknowledged or ignored after that. Core PS/Xbox gamers have also been incredibly resistant, almost oppositionally so, to control innovations in general the past 2 decades so no matter how good the implementation might be now it's not exactly hard to picture how history could repeat.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Probably sooner since a dev source has been told it's coming, and while folders relate to the entire visual make up of the UI, quick resume is about partitioning the SSD so states can be saved and is likely quicker and easier to implement than folders.

As a developer I don't think this is true in any way shape or form.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I really wish Sony gave Motorstom another charge with the dualsensev haptics and triggers. That and with the ps5 power would be amazing.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Got my PS5 today and I love the new features of the controller but man, with my small hands it's really hard to use for long periods of time. It starts to really get uncomfortable. I loved the DualShock 4 and I wish I had the option to use it for games that don't take advantage of these features or at the very least I wish either Sony or a third party would make a PS5 controller with that form factor

acebeam

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 23, 2020
3rd party support for Dualsense features since PS5 launch is great. Claiming otherwise by some doesn't make any sense ( reading whole thread) How much, over 30 games has a DualSense support? Latest one is Borderlands 3 and R6 Siege.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a game changer, I have people hyped to come visit me to try it out, but obviously I won't let them.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017

The Dual Sense has an actual affect on game feel which impacts gameplay. Firing a gattling gun in astrobot feels better to use than any gattling gun because of that feedback. It is satisfying as fuck.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Bought cold war to check this out just now. havent played a COD on a console in awhile.

Oct 29, 2017
3rd party support for Dualsense features since PS5 launch is great. Claiming otherwise by some doesn't make any sense ( reading whole thread) How much, over 30 games has a DualSense support? Latest one is Borderlands 3 and R6 Siege.

People are skeptical that devs will use it in a years time. Of course devs are going to jump on new tech straight away but whether they will bother in a year is a different matter.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
So far what I played of Astro was neat.

But while playing Spider-Man remastered I haven't noticed it doing anything new at all.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
There will only ever be small differences between performance of games across the two platforms, and the PS5 will have an edge in some areas thanks to its SSD. I think anyone that picked up the XSX alongside the PS5 thinking they'd see significant benefit in multiplatform titles on the XSX was mistaken.

The difference really does come down to the controllers ergonomics, functionality, OS features, and simply where you feel most comfortable playing, more so than anything else.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are skeptical that devs will use it in a years time. Of course devs are going to jump on new tech straight away but whether they will bother in a year is a different matter.

Why would developers remove it after it's been implemented in these early titles? Except if there's poor consumer feedback, which there isn't as everyone's been praising it.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
DualSense makes a massive impact. Like others, I'm buying games specifically for DualSense features, like WRC9.

Oct 29, 2017
Why would developers remove it after it's been implemented in these early titles? Except if there's poor consumer feedback, which there isn't as everyone's been praising it.

Well they wouldn't remove it, they just wouldn't bother putting it into new titles.

I like the Dualsense features, but we've been here before with this kind of thing and often devs will just take the simplest route of creating a game for both PlayStation and Xbox which is as similar as it can be to save time and resources. I've heard it's easy to create Dualsense features in games but we'll see.

I'm skeptical and honestly think it'll mostly be first party games using it well in a years time and third parties will treat it as a fancy rumble but without any clever usage.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I was very unimpressed with the lack of ambition in the new XSX controller, it's almost identical to the previous controller. I can't really tell any differences. Maybe the dpad is a bit nicer.
I'll be shocked if MS isn't working on an identical controller

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally the triggers are nice but they got old for me after 2 minutes, wouldn't use them.
Sound from controller is the worst invention ever and I don't get who asked for this.
Otherwise, the controller is nice.
Reality is my pc will play any multiplatform better than my ps5, with cheaper prices to boot, so no.
If anything I'm considering selling mine until a new exclusive comes out.

Deleted member 6511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally the triggers are nice but they got old for me after 2 minutes, wouldn't use them.
Sound from controller is the worst invention ever and I don't get who asked for this.
Otherwise, the controller is nice.
Reality is my pc will play any multiplatform better than my ps5, with cheaper prices to boot, so no.
If anything I'm considering selling mine until a new exclusive comes out.
Try FIFA on PC.