• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
images

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I like DS3, but it feels too much like a DS1 homage, not original enough.
the homage aspects were definitely deliberate in how they relate to the themes
a huge facet of Dark Souls 3's themes and metanarrative are based in the crushing nature of cycles, repetition, and being unable to evolve into something new.

also the Abyss Watchers are literally a bunch of dark souls 1 fanboys surrounded by toxicity i don't know how people can miss obvious subtext here

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
What I love the most about the Dark Souls and especially Bloodborne sites on the internet is that you never get told to "git gud", or "figure it out yourself bro".

I've been playing a lot again recently. I suck at it. I'm not horrible but I'm not a natural either. So of course I ask people, and they are just the most wonderful people!

It's like anywhere you go nobody ever tells you something rude and everyone's welcoming of the idea that the game could be easier. I really love this, I mean it! Don't think I've ever met a friendlier community! Souls fans are just the BEST people in the world.
Also the people who say they beat Ludwig at the second attempt are super reliable.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Soulsborne fans tend to be super cool and very helpful, sooo yeahhhh this thread sucks.

I gather most people in this thread haven't interacted with the community much outside of arguing with them. I've literally never seen anyone shun people out who are asking for boss tips or anything, peeps are usually really helpful

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
What a great and informative and helpful thread! I gained so much from this thread being posted and this thread totally wasn't meant to troll people either! Thread of the year

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So did something specific prompt this shitposting thread or was one week without this discussion on the front page too much for OP?

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
For as much hate that DS2 gets, at least it tried original stuff for the series (some of them should have been implemented in DS3) and it tried to be different, though obviously it has alot of flaws.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
dark-souls-giant-mushroom-gif-2.gif

In my case, not only FS forums have been good, surge and nioh have been great too.

Oct 27, 2017
The Dark Souls community is pretty great and will help you but only after one condition...

don't whine about the game.

If you calm down, don't attack the game/community, someone will help you and you might find yourself to be a fan.

(I use to HATE anything related to souls until I stopped critiquing the game mechanics and just asked for help on things I didn't yet understand)

Nov 4, 2017
Not sure if thread is serious... But I agree.

If you piss and moan about the game, you'll get told to git gud. If you reach out because you legitimately want help with playing the game or figuring out the story, I think the Soulsborne community is very helpful and welcoming (for a gaming community...).

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
The Soulsborne community is pretty great, they're a humble bunch of Real Gamerssponsored by DJ Khaled.

Mar 10, 2018
Yeah passive-aggressive snark like this is really immature. Just tell us what's wrong and maybe we can actually help you. Or continue to generalize an entire community based off of your interactions with a select few of its members.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
The git gud stuff was always fun casually as a bit of silly banter but useless when used as a serious response or advice. It is a bit like a trolling way of saying "practice to get better" which is usually a given, so those asking for help are looking for additional tips.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
If you need more advice than "git gud scrub" then maybe you aren't worthy of being part of Miyazaki-sama's fanbase anyway. Maybe try something like Angry Birds or Nintendogs first, kid.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say "never", but the Souls community is way more approaching and helpful than outsider would have you believe. Can't think of any other series that has as many in-depth guides and resources written by fans.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Also the people who say they beat Ludwig at the second attempt are super reliable.

To be fair, some people actually do beat Ludwig easily lol. I saw a streamer who beat Orphan of Kos blind on her first ever attempt, and she wasn't like some kind of Souls savant or anything. It just depends on how your fight goes down.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
To be fair though my personal experience here on this board when it comes to souls was pretty positive. Got a lot of help with an early boss in Nioh, if it wasn't for that I would not have touched any of the souls games thereafter.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The git gud stuff was always fun casually as a bit of silly banter but useless when used as a serious response or advice. It is a bit like a trolling way of saying "practice to get better" which is usually a given, so those asking for help are looking for additional tips.
In my experience it's mostly a nothing statement to give to people who post equally nothing statements and expect advice. What else are you supposed to say when all a person posts is "Boss X is hard" without giving any details about which attacks are giving them trouble, what strategies they are using, etc? It's essentially the new "Hit it till it dies, don't get hit" that was a popular response from the Monster Hunter community.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Genuinely great community in my experience, online and in game, I'd go as far to say one of the best even.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
The Bloodborne subreddit is one of the nicest and most helpful gaming subs I've interacted with. They only get pissy when someone who's butthurt comes along to complain about the game instead of simply asking for advice.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Great community IMO. Where things go bad is when someone comes into a thread complaining with statements that are absolutes about difficulty, unfairness, bad combat/controls, etc., which isn't just Soulsborne games tbh.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
In my experience it's mostly a nothing statement to give to people who post equally nothing statements and expect advice. What else are you supposed to say when all a person posts is "Boss X is hard" without giving any details about which attacks are giving them trouble, what strategies they are using, etc? It's essentially the new "Hit it till it dies, don't get hit" that was a popular response from the Monster Hunter community.

Yeah the one seeking helps needs to at least put in some effort, and this is true across all walks of life.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Ive honestly only had good experiences with the Souls community. The Bloodborne sub is one of the nicest and most helpful ones out there out of all gaming subs.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Bloodborne subreddit is one of the nicest and most helpful gaming subs I've interacted with. They only get pissy when someone who's butthurt comes along to complain about the game instead of simply asking for advice.
Hell I made a thread on Era that solely contained bitching about Bloodbornes first hour and I got pages uppn pages of people that helped me out instead of berating me.

OP is not only bad at subtle irony, they are also talking out of their ass.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Only had good experience with these folks, honestly. Genuinely helpful and full of good advice. I'm sure there are assholes out there, but without specific posts to comment on, the OP comes off as empty complaining.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest

Yeah I agree which is why I say some of it is more like banter. The best part about the MH response is that it is fundamentally one of the core prioritization rules. It is why the phrase some times get a second follow up "in that order". Essentially it over simplifies everything into learning to dodge first then adding attacks in. Git gud unfortunately doesn't even give the bare minimum of this imo but in terms of usage they are similar.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Not only are most of the community super helpful/welcoming/supportive, the whole "git gud" thing has been blown WAY out of proportion and because of that gave the community a bad rep. As a few others have stated, "git gud" was used in jest to counter poor criticism. I've never seen anyone using it to try and belittle someone, not saying it doesn't happen but by and large it doesn't.

Which is whatever but threads like this just continues the trend of spreading this misinformation, keeping people away.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the Bloodborne community here on ResetEra was super welcoming and helpful when I first played through the game a few years ago. They would guide me in the right direction without outright spoiling things.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate getting lost at games and soulsborne not having a map is a big turn off for me.
Well yeah thats understandable then. For other people, getting a bit lost and putting pieces of levels together is part of the fun. Some of them also love leading others through the parts they get stuck in.

Trust me, I absolutely hated the first hour of Bloodborne until some folks here pointed out a hidden shortcut. People basically tripped over each other to give me advice lol.

If you prefer a guide go ahead, but I found interacting with the community way more fun.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah I agree which is why I say some of it is more like banter. The best part about the MH response is that it is fundamentally one of the core prioritization rules. It is why the phrase some times get a second follow up "in that order". Essentially it over simplifies everything into learning to dodge first then adding attacks in. Git gud unfortunately doesn't even give the bare minimum of this imo but in terms of usage they are similar.

For newcomers- Don't get hit, hit the monster.

For experienced players- Hit the monster, don't get hit.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I realize that the OP is satire...but I honestly, truly don't think of the Souls community as elitist.

When people say "git gud", it's an acknowledgement of the truth that everyone has died in these games. Everyone has failed. Everyone has lost their souls over and over. Everyone has gotten stuck on a boss. Everyone has quit in rage. Everyone has thought they've hit a wall that they'll never overcome. But eventually, these players come back to it, practice, clear their head, get some hints, summon a friend, "git gud", and finally do something they thought they were incapable of doing.

It isn't elitism. It's empathy, encouragement, and camaraderie.

No one starts good. Everyone has to "git" there.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
It's crazy how that low level sarcastic OP reflects unironnically my own experience with the community. They're good people.