• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is this coming gen going to be the last gen with physical games on Xbox and PlayStation?

• Yes

Votes: 206 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 287 43.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 27 4.0%
  • It's too soon to say

Votes: 148 22.2%

• Total voters

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Now that Sony is onboard with online only drm in the PS5AD like Microsoft's consoles it's pretty clear that discs will be obsolete for consoles going forward. There may be some sort of hybrid drive storage system that involves retailers filling up drives with games for customers (paid service?) and there's still Nintendo with the Switch physical games.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think the more interesting question is "When will the first successful console come out that is entirely subscription-based?"

Apr 3, 2020
No, movies still made on Bluray discs.

Also I think if they went this direction they won't abandoned it completely. Dropping standard edition or small quantities, or maybe as an option when pre ordering are more logical options.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
This gen might be the last gen with actual physical hardware.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
It won't be.

As long as the largest market in the world (the USA) still has limited competition and data caps in their consumer broadband markets there's going to be a large section of people in the world that will still need discs.

What this thread should be is: 'I think this is the last gen where a disc based console will be the primary SKU'

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
I sure hope not. Part of the buzz of getting a new game for me is having the physical copy on my shelf. It would take away part of the gaming experience for me.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
I sure as hell hope not, it takes me ages to download a game even if I have a consistent connection. I can't imagine going digital on anything besides indies.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dunno but I wouldn't be surprised, can't remember the last time anyone I know has bought a physical game.

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
You'll still have the special editions, so I don't care if it comes with optical media or with a code in a piece of paper.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
No, they'll keep doing 1 digital and 1 physical model at minimum to prevent outrage.
However, they'll certainly keep the physical version as the more expensive model to steer people towards digital versions

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Digital music didn't eliminate CDs or vinyl, and streaming services haven't eliminated blurays and dvds.

Physical games aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe in the 2030s they'll be gone, but not until the overwhelming majority of game sales are digital to the point where physical is completely irrelevant.

OP
OP
Adrifi

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Digital music didn't eliminate CDs or vinyl, and streaming services haven't eliminated blurays and dvds.

Physical games aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe in the 2030s they'll be gone, but not until the overwhelming majority of game sales are digital to the point where physical is completely irrelevant.
If physical games will be gone in 2030 then what sense does it make for Xbox and PS to launch consoles with disk drives in 2027?

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Worst case scenario I'd expect Xbox/PS to offer a Blu Ray add on. At a certain point tho I'd expect physical sales to dwindle until only the biggest AAA games release physical versions.

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland, USA
What is this, 2013? I kid, but really it was the same question then too. Only even still strong enough connections to support the games doesn't always exist for all markets. When that is a reality, maybe the non-physical gaming scenario will be 100% adapted. Until then, there is a market (thankfully) for those who enjoy the physical discs, steelbooks and collectors editions. I don't always trade in, but I did enjoy handing off God of War and Spiderman to a friend to try at home. Can't do that with digital.

OP
OP
Adrifi

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
What is this, 2013? I kid, but really it was the same question then too. Only even still strong enough connections to support the games doesn't always exist for all markets. When that is a reality, maybe the non-physical gaming scenario will be 100% adapted. Until then, there is a market (thankfully) for those who enjoy the physical discs, steelbooks and collectors editions. I don't always trade in, but I did enjoy handing off God of War and Spiderman to a friend to try at home. Can't do that with digital.
I wasn't asking this in 2013, and I'm talking about 2027 here.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. There is still a market for physical. They still come out with CDs and how long has iTunes been a thing?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I answered "no" for the poll, but there's a huge asterisk beside that, as I could see a scenario in which discs go away and don't need to be replaced by alternative installation media.

For physical games to completely go away, I think there'd need to be a robust enough Internet solution for people who don't currently have the means of getting decent Internet service. That probably involves satellites, but I think it also involves companies like Microsoft and Sony partnering with companies with such satellites and paying for the distribution of game content for people who don't have Internet access. It'd be kind of like purchasing a Kindle with built-in 3G or something.

That said, I think there's an alternative scenario in which discs go away and are replaced with the ability to purchase games and have them transferred to a USB drive. You'd need to provide your own USB drive (or maybe use something like the expandable storage on the Xbox Series S|X), and the game would somehow be tied to your account.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It's not. Until Asia gets better internet, that continent will still go physical over digital. They're not gonna take a hit on physical sales just for North America and Europe.

Oct 27, 2017
I think more people will get into digital only trends as economies and technologies become easier and cheaper to develop/own next, next gen, but a physical copy of game will always be traditional practice.

There has never been a successful console or period of gaming history that was "digital only" and I don't think major corporations are willing to bet on a next, next gen console that doesn't at least offer the alternative physical option. Playstation and Xbox would miss out on a HUGE profit if they went digital only across the board. Sure, a slim version or "pro" version of their console can be digital for form and factor reasons, but there will always be the disc friendly machine next, next gen.

People still collect games, and fast/high speed internet access is another thing that many gamers don't have. I certainly wouldn't like it if physical games disappeared even though like 80% of my PS4 games are digital lol. A major part of the gaming experience is actually holding the thing in your hands, keeping it on your shelf, flipping through the covers and artwork.

Last edited:

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
With the pro consoles being the only option for physical, I could definitely see it becoming a premium option.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
How do people with bad internet even play current gen games? Do they endure the semi-broken 1.0 versions that come on the discs? Do they leave their console on overnight whenever Warzone gets an 80GB patch?

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I think it would be at least one more gen after this one to have discs. Also, there are countries with poor internet so maybe not even then.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll fight it until the day we "own" our digital licenses. By that I mean the right to resale.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I hope not. Digtal prices in my region are still way too high on PSN compared to physical. So they would at least need to lower their prices before I would be onboard with that idea.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's honestly too soon to say. If we get more people decent internet access & data caps stop being a thing, then maybe. But even then, we still get physical CDs. But if I had to make a yes/no call right now, I'd have to lean towards no.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
once Best Buy Gamer club unlocked died.....me buying physical games died. There is no reason to buy physical if they are not discounted.

9 times out of 10 when u are looking to buy a used game, the physical price and digital are the same anyway. Its only on the games that are a decade old that u need to buy physical because they will be dirt cheap on ebay, but still stupid expensive digitally

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't know why it matters. The disc drives don't jack up costs too much anyway and if you wanted to be digital only you could have for a while now

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland, USA
I wasn't asking this in 2013, and I'm talking about 2027 here.
Sorry, friendly sarcasm. I understand the time leap for 2027. My statement holds true for then as well. If there is one hope from the 2020 learning from home situation, its the glaring inadequacies of high-speed internet access. But until that's a global issue in the past (or further advent of national wireless/5G), I simply don't think physical discs are going anywhere.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, enthusiasts predicting what the direction a company, primarily concerned with the general public, will go.

This take is as likely as people who said the Xbox One's original vision meant the PS4 would also be always online. Not grounded in the reality most people experience.

At the very most, if the diskless versions somehow dwarf the sales of the physical version, you'll see MS and Sony lead the Next Xbox & PS6 with diskless SKU, while providing a Legacy physical device.

Under zero circumstances will there be no option to play next-next gen games on physical.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
It's never going to happen. Physical media has too many benefits and there will always be a significant audience for it.
It may be emphasized less. We'll see more smaller games go digital only, we'll see it be more of a 50/50 split. But it will never go away.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we can say yet. Things are definitely trending digital, but physical is still big and a decent amount of the audience can't rely so easily on downloads. I think a lot of it will come down to what the future of the world's broadband infrastructure looks like (Starlink etc). I do think at the very least we'll see it pushed aside more when next NEXT gen comes. Like the default console will be digital only and then either the one with a physical drive is more limited, or you'll have to get a disc drive attachment.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you're just now coming to that conclusion? PS5 revealing a physical AND digital sku with the same specs (idk about storage as of this post) set that precedent.

I'm going to enjoy physical while it lasts for mainstream.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
They won't render everyone's games catalogues completely useless like that with just one generation (the PS3 is an exception because of it's hard to emulate nature). I think we'll have two options for a long while, still. I certainly don't want them to go away.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Could we start seeing less games with print runs or more games with limited print runs? Yes.

Absolutely no physical? Not going to happen.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The problem is that giving games as gifts and parents buying games for their kids are still traditionally done through physical means. I suppose you could just go to the digital card method of games, but I'm not sure how much stores are going to appreciate that since IIRC they actually make money off of physical game sales, not so with digital ones.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore all have noticeably better internet on average than the US.
And there's still a huge portion of that continent (I'll take a guess at saying the majority) that's an untapped market in many ways and don't have the luxury of buying games only digitally.
Edit: there are plenty of other places too, but I'm using Asia as an example since it's the one I'm more experienced with.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
You'll never know what will happen in 5 to 7 years of this upcoming generation. Most of you say no, but it wouldn't be surprising if digital is the main medium by then.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Physical PC games and CDs are still out there but people rarely buy them over digital counterparts.

It is too soon right now but maybe it is a discussion for 2025.