• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
What does that even mean ?
Winning the US market (you know the think we'd been talking about) means that Microsoft could at least tie with Sony in overall sales. If they don't win the US it will be like the PS4 generation again. If Sony wins the US market then they will once again outsell the Xbox at 2:1 or higher because the US market for consoles is that big.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Winning the US market (you know the think we'd been talking about) means that Microsoft could at least tie with Sony in overall sales. If they don't win the US it will be like the PS4 generation again. If Sony wins the US market then they will once again outsell the Xbox at 2:1 or higher because the US market for consoles is that big.
No...That's not good math...

Also, Sony should just put PS1/PS2/PSP games behind PSNow, I'd sign up....

Generally, I get the appeal of both services and definitely with GP because you can play first party day and date. Butt I'm good with PS+ sales, and just getting physical copies cheap. I really don't need a rental services for my games, I simply don't play that much in one month to have access to this huge library only to not play most of it.

RainerDrix

Oct 25, 2017
Long Island, NY
Ways that PSNow would be an improvement to me:

1. Allowing you to stream any PS5 game you own at no added cost (maybe requires you to own the game + be a PSNow subscriber).
  2. Expanding the devices that you can stream to so you can literally play anywhere.
  3. Release either a PSNow PSP-like device that is designed around streaming or a Joy-Con-like Dualsense controller that's a smaller form factor made for on-the-go gaming for mobile devices.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No...That's not good math...

Also, Sony should just put PS1/PS2/PSP games behind PSNow, I'd sign up....

Generally, I get the appeal of both services and definitely with GP because you can play first party day and date. Butt I'm good with PS+ sales, and just getting physical copies cheap. I really don't need a rental services for my games, I simply don't play that much in one month to have access to this huge library only to not play most of it.
I mean is it technically true no, they could both get the same amount of sales and split it 50/50 but markets rarely ever do that. It's more likely that one sells just for example 50 mil while the other does 75 million but that 25 million split is more important to MS then Sony that is the real argument I'm making, its more important to them because the US market atm is larger then any other market in terms on spending on consoles. That's all I was saying.

Btw I agree with you about what they should do for ps now but I'd rather they first get a working emulator and put things on the store.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sony won't add first parties day one, but at least they can add more games from previous generations, right?
PS Now has only 20(!) PS2 games these days and it shouldn't be that hard to add lots of PS1 and PS2 games for download on the service. I mean even garbage PCs can run those games with some emulators!
It's not as great as adding new PS4 games, but at least it gives the service a huge list of amazing classic games.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I mean is it technically true no, they could both get the same amount of sales and split it 50/50 but markets rarely ever do that. It's more likely that one sells just for example 50 mil while the other does 75 million but that 25 million split is more important to MS then Sony that is the real argument I'm making, its more important to them because the US market atm is larger then any other market in terms on spending on consoles. That's all I was saying.

Btw I agree with you about what they should do for ps now but I'd rather they first get a working emulator and put things on the store.
U.S market is certainly most important, it's where a lot of money is made. But my math comment was based on sales data. PS4 only get 1/3 or 1/4 or if it's sales or something like that from U.S, Whatever it is, it's not 1/2 or more like MS. Xbox gaining ground in US won't make PS5 irrelevant, and it definitely won't make up the mass difference in the rest of the world.

PS4 will probably end with 135+ million, majority of that is not from the US.

Stavik

Nov 12, 2019
I think a lot of people(including me) think of psNow as a streaming service, and if Sony is able to change that, I think it can be very successfully, but I don't think they will offer games day one, like Xbox does

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
It should be used as another BC method. Get a bunch of PS1-PS4 games on the service and people who subscribe can go back and play all these games. This should run along side normal BC with physical PS4 games

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The two are not even close to comparable when you consider the value proposition. If you are a PC and Xbox gamer for $15 you have a monstrous ever changing library. With PSNow you can only play games on your console. With Game Pass XCloud will be rolled into it and you can stream games to your mobile devices wherever you have an internet connection.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
I feel like if sony dedicated/hired some teams to develop some titles and released them direct to PSNow it would help. (Not exclusive to PSNow, but budgeted to account for the fact that it will launch on psnow).

The original content on streaming video services are what really took them to the next level imo. If sony could do a hybrid i feel like it would add a ton of value.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
The two are not even close to comparable when you consider the value proposition. If you are a PC and Xbox gamer for $15 you have a monstrous ever changing library. With PSNow you can only play games on your console. With Game Pass XCloud will be rolled into it and you can stream games to your mobile devices wherever you have an internet connection.
You can stream on PC with PSNow aswell

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
So much misinformation in this thread... people like to make Game Pass a holy entity and then proceeds to say something wrong about the PSNow. People consider unavailable features in the GP but dont consider them for PSNow...

For starters, PSNow price is 60 per year (5 per month if you pay for the whole year) (with online for the games included)! GP ultimate is 180 (15) and GP is 120 (10) no online play).

Thats a small reason why the catalogue in GP is much better, it costs the double/triple.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So much misinformation in this thread... people like to make Game Pass a holy entity and then proceeds to say something wrong about the PSNow. People consider unavailable features in the GP but dont consider them for PSNow...

For starters, PSNow price is 60 per year, or 5 per month (with online for the games included)! GP ultimate is 180 (15) and GP is 120 (10) no online play).

Thats a small reason why the catalogue in GP is much better, it costs the double/triple.

PS Now isn't $5 a month, it's $9.99 a month, the same as Game Pass.

It's only $5 a month if you buy a year of it.

Jun 2, 2019
Honestly I think Sony must invest a bit more in the service to be a viable alternative to Gamepass

I see few First party games compared to Microsoft's offer, and the quality of the service was, at least on PC, not great imho.

It has a lot of potential, but after the trial I was able to understand why it didn't take off after so many years.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
There is zero chance that Sony is going to start releasing 1st party games, within any reasonable amount of time, on PSNow. MS can afford to do it because Xbox is backed by MS. Sony also knows that most people aren't going to switch to Xbox as long as they are still the first party kings, regardless of how good Gamepass is.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There is zero chance that Sony is going to start releasing 1st party games, within any reasonable amount of time, on PSNow. MS can afford to do it because Xbox is backed by MS. Sony also knows that most people aren't going to switch to Xbox as long as they are still the first party kings, regardless of how good Gamepass is.

Hasn't this been said many times and the response is:

Xbox división has its own budget. I very much doubt they get anything from MS's other divisions.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate game pass will have Live, Game pass, PC game pass, and xcloud. The value is way better.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I feel like this conversation will go around in circles forever. Game Pass is surely an enormous loss-leader for Microsoft. Maybe it's going to pay off for them in the end and drive crazy profit over time, but right now there's no real need for Sony (and Nintendo!) to abandon their established business model while it continues to work for them.

That may change down the line, as you suggest, but it's not going to happen any time soon.

You're right, though, there's still things they can do with PS Now to make it a more attractive options.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As a playstation-only gamer, I think gamepass is the better option and will continue to be so next-gen. The caliber of games you get in there is superior to the ones you get in psnow and you get them way sooner. Streaming games is still a mirage for me, as my experience with psnow and my home network was miserable.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
IMO the best thing they could do for PSNow would be a backwards compatibility program like Microsoft has for the Xbox. If all/some of those great PS3 games on PSNow could be played locally, and at significantly upgraded resolutions and framerates, PSNow would be an instant buy for me.

Maybe it's not realistic, but I think it would add huge value to PSNow without the need to add all of their big upcoming titles like Microsoft is doing.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I feel like this conversation will go around in circles forever. Game Pass is surely an enormous loss-leader for Microsoft. Maybe it's going to pay off for them in the end and drive crazy profit over time, but right now there's no real need for Sony (and Nintendo!) to abandon their established business model while it continues to work for them.

That may change down the line, as you suggest, but it's not going to happen any time soon.

You're right, though, there's still things they can do with PS Now to make it a more attractive options.

By the time Sony and Nintendo take it seriously, Game Pass would have a large user base, developer support and mindshare. The competition is moving away from consoles and into other form factors and that's where the market is going to be competing at.

Reacting late to the game doesn't work in markets beyond console. You either win or you're well behind.

Last edited: