• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Prime 3 feature old Samus?

• Yes! Old Samus please!

Votes: 194 30.6%
  • No! Samus is great! Never change Samus!

Votes: 276 43.6%
  • Both! Timeskips in the game!

Votes: 70 11.1%
  • Why do you keep calling Metroid Samus?

Votes: 93 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Syagrius

Apr 23, 2019
Linking in with Zero Mission as the new unified Samus design. Zero Suit Samus became a thing, after all, from that game.

Could be me, but that doesn't really make sense to me either. Why would Nintendo change her into that if her appearance in MP1 was fine?

But their engine/talents didn't really work with an animu look. Other M for all its faults does the animu Samus look a lot better.

A little better. If they really want to stick to animu Samus I hope they take Hunters.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Accentuate her humanity by not showing her outside her suit at all but by contrasting her reactions and body language with the alien environments she interacts with.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Prime takes place before Metroid 2 and Super Metroid.

I think she's around 30 years old in Fusion which is the last game chronologically.
And MP4 is only a tentative title used to inform us that the game will be similar in the 3D 1st person perspective not a 2D scroller. The game could be set years after Fusion.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the point in this.

Story has never been the big focus in Metroid except for in the game that no one likes, and it's not like you would hardly ever see what Samus looks like behind the suit in a Prime game anyway.

I see no reason not to just leave her the way she always has been (outside of Other M, of course)
My thoughts exactly.

I don't even expect a good story from Metroid Prime 4. I just want It to be as good as MP1 was even If the story is about a giant sentient alien poop that's trying to convince everybody in the galaxy that it's ok to poop in the shower.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, could be an interesting take on a character that's basically been reduced to anime waifu status

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why they changed her into that Barbie-like appearance anyway.
Because that's closer to how she always looked?
m4_ending4.gif

hqdefault.jpg

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I've strongly disliked "Zero Suit Samus" as she's been presented since Zero Mission.

I just always preferred the early concept for Samus; a more realistic, older-looking hardass in the visual mould of Kim Basinger. Or the late '80s/early '90s western action heroine archetype as typified by Ripley and Sarah Connor.

tumblr_mihny9guWU1rw70wfo1_500.png

Smart_sam03.jpg

I love how her undergarment in this old piece of artwork is just this functional leotard that isn't meant to be seen and is solely for her comfort.

The original Prime even honoured the Kim Basinger brief.

latest

latest

The cutesy, anime-inspired look they used in Other M really doesn't do it for me. And when they tried to bridge the gap in Prime 2/3, it looked horrific.

zero_suit_samus__metroid_prime_2_echoes__by_imperialdramondrmode-dae8bs3.png

I don't expect Nintendo to change her design though now, she has sort of been standardized in geek merchandise as some posing waifu.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Could be me, but that doesn't really make sense to me either. Why would Nintendo change her into that if her appearance in MP1 was fine?
Because Zero Mission came out in a similar timeframe to Prime 2. It was consolidation of the image, and that image has been the dominant one ever since.

I'm not saying it was a good thing, but that is clearly what happened.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because Zero Mission came out in a similar timeframe to Prime 2. It was consolidation of the image, and that image has been the dominant one ever since.

I'm not saying it was a good thing, but that is clearly what happened.
Fusion came out the same day as Prime 1 so I'm not sure if that works as an excuse.

Not that I want the return of Prime 1 Samus as I honestly hate that look.

Merc_

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
They aren't ever going to do that. Besides, we don't see her much outside the suit anyway.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
They should either do the big timeskip, or reboot Metroid completely and try to make her an actual positive role model for women.

Future Gazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I just want an imposing, muscular Samus. She's supposed to be like 6 ft 3. She should look like Brienne of Tarth.

Nintendo is far too obsessed with her sleazy waifu image to ever let it happen though.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Old Samus would be interesting, but I very much doubt it will happen. Nintendo continues to insist Mario is, like, 23 despite his dad 'stache. For whatever reason, they want don't their characters depicted as old. That probably goes double for their only character with a bit of sex appeal.

That said, yes, Samus should at least be a 30-something experienced hunter in the game. No prequels please.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
What you want sounds like an Other M sequel :P
I doubt Nintendo will go that far anymore, in characterizing Samus she doesn't even speak in the Prime games!

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
In metroid, Samus's age doesn't really play a big role in the narrative or her character, so meh. After the horrible attempt to give Samus more 'character' in Other M, I don't think I trust Nintendo to do anything competent or interesting with Samus.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm not necessarily opposed ot the idea, but one of the things I like about Nintendo characters is that they exist outside of a continuity, allowing for infinite games with self contained stories that don't necessarily take place over the "lifespan" of a character (how I wish Metal Gear was like this...)

A game with an older Samus can happen but it would have to be self-contained and mostly free of other games' influences outside of vague references. In fact I would like all of Metroid to be like this. Not a fan of constraining Prime to fit between Metroid 1 and 2.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
isnt Samus partialized fused to her suit in Fusion? she might not really look much like a human below it anymore

sounds like a more interesting idea than Samus with wrinkles to me

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would love for Prime 4 to take place after Fusion in the timeline, but I doubt Sakamoto would ever let that happen.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather not see Samus outside of her armor. Her character would be better if they had taken the Master Chief approach of not showing. Now we have the barbie doll abomination.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont subscribe to the "older = better" mentality, if they have a story that requires her to be older that is fine, but I dont think that is inherently better than if she was younger

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt Prime 4 would be set after Fusion. But yeah, I want a Samus who looks hardened like in the first Prime than anime Samus we saw in Prime 2, 3 and Other M.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
They gotta get her out of that suit first.

She's still bonded to it right?

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I like this, but it's Japan, so canonically old characters are like, Auron, who's like 30 or so, or a dragon that looks like an 11 year-old girl who's like 2334. Everybody else is like 17 with 3 degrees in physics or whatever.

Last edited:

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
This. Just don't take the suit off.
Or do take it off, and then it just turns out to be empty as some sort of stupid twist.

comic614.png

To be honest, Samus ACTUALLY being Dark Samus and Fusion Samus being an empty suit would be P-GOOD!

I like this, but it's Japan, so canonically old character are like, Auron, who's like 30 or so, or a dragon that looks like an 11 year-old girl who's like 2334. Everybody else is like 17 with 3 degrees in physics or whatever.

Aka: how can we sell figures the most efficiently?

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Era really is its own little microcosm. Who would ever actually want this? Not a significant amount of the game buying public I'm sure.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I don't know if Samus is the right opportunity for the idea, but I would love to see more "older" playable women in games. Seems like anything past 30 (let alone 40+) is still seen as 'expired' for women and less so for men. We do have a couple nice examples though, such as Nadine from Uncharted, and Emma from The Last Remnant (bit niche but immediately comes to mind for me).

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
With Metroid prime being a part of the canon now? No
Sakamoto can do older Samus after Fusion though, dont mind about that.

Jan 11, 2018
I don't see the point in this.

Story has never been the big focus in Metroid except for in the game that no one likes, and it's not like you would hardly ever see what Samus looks like behind the suit in a Prime game anyway.

I see no reason not to just leave her the way she always has been (outside of Other M, of course)

Fusion was awesome, and I enjoyed the story bits. Its actually my favorite 2d Metroid. Its a shame Other M dropped the ball the way it did. Metroid has a very interesting universe. I wonder what approach Retro will take this time in terms of story and lore.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care about age, but the entire "Zero Suit" design needs to be revamped. Say what you will about Other M, but the young Samus design in her military clothes was far better than anything else that has been done for the character.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
prime series is before any of the other metroid games... I just dont see it happening with this game... but I'm down for that in an actual sequel

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Samus would need to be a character for ageing her to matter at all.
Otherwise you're just pissing off neckbeards who jack off to her after speedrunning and those dudes are so sad why would you want to take away the one thing in their life they have left? :p