• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Or at the very least some of the best Action RPG bosses. Now here me out; Firstly, KH games have some absolutely questionable bosses and gameplay design choices. Stuff like Mysterious Figure in BBS are absolutely bottom of the barrel fights with difficulty coming from bad mechanics not leaving you properly equipped to fight them while others in the series like a bunch of KH3 bosses are too piss easy because the mechanics leave you way too capable to fight the bosses instead.

But Kingdom Hearts 1 had some interesting bosses even with its dated mechanics; Fights like Ansem and Riku make use of the game's inbuilt parry mechanic quite well . But of course when I think of peak KH bosses I'm mostly referring to the super bosses of KH2FM and KH3:ReMind.

Both KH2FM and KH3:ReMind have suites of super bosses that are incredibly fun and rewarding to fight. They balance difficulty, presentation, flashiness, use of the games mechanics, replayability and individual gimmicks extremely well(there are some outliers of course especially in 2FM). They have a large focus on reacting to rather than predicting the bosses' attacks and reward creative ways of finding openings and gaps in their offense. Combine this with your damage in KH games being pretty high, and it makes it so that while your openings are rare in general, you dont need too many to win, which helps keep the boss fight's length down to acceptable levels instead of feeling like a slog. This in turn further enhances the replayability of the fights.

Because they are never too long; losing makes you want to hit continue super fast. The frustration doesn't really pile up because you know it's not really a long fight (most fights in ReMind are 5-7 minutes at most). When you want to refight a boss you've beaten you dont say "ugh that will take forever to do I'd rather not do it again" but rather instead you feel like learning new openings and ways to beat the bosses. They never really feel like a chore.

And of course there's the presentation. KH as a whole is pretty much suspend flashy stuff and the fact that the fights are chockful of it while being playable and readable is extremely commendable. I mean look this at this:
This is peak anime bullshit but it's still somehow very understandable and really satisfying to learn(plus theres actually a secret opening to lay on some damage during that attack). Part of the presentation as well is the music; Yoko Shimomura's music is just a cherry on top of the cake that are these bosses, some examples:
Rage Awakened
L'Eminenza Oscura(KH3 Ver.)
Lord of the Castle(KH3 Ver.)

The only part of the presentation that is lacking imo are the backdrops as they are mostly just white platforms.

Anyway I'm done gushing for now; this was prompted by me replaying the data bosses from 2FM and ReMind over and over for the past 2 days and just being floored by how well done these are. Some games are lucky to get one good boss fight, while these have at least 10 each. Where would you put KH in terms of bosses? For me up there with From Software's stuff at least.

Bonus Question: How can KH games incorporate this level of boss design outside super bosses; while not destroying their difficulty curves? Even the main 2FM feels too easy until you hit the superbosses but I'd love for them to somehow get these into the main games content.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I can't see shit and can't tell what's happening during KH boss fights, except the first game.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yozora and Lingering Will are top tier

As are the data fights in 2 and 3

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It does. It also has some of the worst *Glares at BbS and a lot of the big heartless bosses in KH3*

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Or at the very least some of the best Action RPG bosses. Now here me out; Firstly, KH games have some absolutely questionable bosses and gameplay design choices. Stuff like Mysterious Figure in BBS are absolutely bottom of the barrel fights with difficulty coming from bad mechanics not leaving you properly equipped to fight them while others in the series like a bunch of KH3 bosses are too piss easy because the mechanics leave you way too capable to fight the bosses instead.

But Kingdom Hearts 1 had some interesting bosses even with its dated mechanics; Fights like Ansem and Riku make use of the game's inbuilt parry mechanic quite well . But of course when I think of peak KH bosses I'm mostly referring to the super bosses of KH2FM and KH3:ReMind.

Both KH2FM and KH3:ReMind have suites of super bosses that are incredibly fun and rewarding to fight. They balance difficulty, presentation, flashiness, use of the games mechanics, replayability and individual gimmicks extremely well(there are some outliers of course especially in 2FM). They have a large focus on reacting to rather than predicting the bosses' attacks and reward creative ways of finding openings and gaps in their offense. Combine this with your damage in KH games being pretty high, and it makes it so that while your openings are rare in general, you dont need too many to win, which helps keep the boss fight's length down to acceptable levels instead of feeling like a slog. This in turn further enhances the replayability of the fights.

Because they are never too long; losing makes you want to hit continue super fast. The frustration doesn't really pile up because you know it's not really a long fight (most fights in ReMind are 5-7 minutes at most). When you want to refight a boss you've beaten you dont say "ugh that will take forever to do I'd rather not do it again" but rather instead you feel like learning new openings and ways to beat the bosses. They never really feel like a chore.

And of course there's the presentation. KH as a whole is pretty much suspend flashy stuff and the fact that the fights are chockful of it while being playable and readable is extremely commendable. I mean look this at this:
This is peak anime bullshit but it's still somehow very understandable and really satisfying to learn(plus theres actually a secret opening to lay on some damage during that attack). Part of the presentation as well is the music; Yoko Shimomura's music is just a cherry on top of the cake that are these bosses, some examples:
Rage Awakened
L'Eminenza Oscura(KH3 Ver.)
Lord of the Castle(KH3 Ver.)

The only part of the presentation that is lacking imo are the backdrops as they are mostly just white platforms.

Anyway I'm done gushing for now; this was prompted by me replaying the data bosses from 2FM and ReMind over and over for the past 2 days and just being floored by how well done these are. Some games are lucky to get one good boss fight, while these have at least 10 each. Where would you put KH in terms of bosses? For me up there with From Software's stuff at least.

Bonus Question: How can KH games incorporate this level of boss design outside super bosses; while not destroying their difficulty curves? Even the main 2FM feels too easy until you hit the superbosses but I'd love for them to somehow get these into the main games content.

The only series that can compete are the soul games as the bosses are usually the star of the design imo

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
100% agreed. I think they can go toe to toe with an FROM game solely because they do such a good job escalating a fight.

Also how they show boss health bars is genius and makes the player feel like they are doing way more damage then they actually are.

It does. It also has some of the worst *Glares at BbS and a lot of the big heartless bosses in KH3*
If youre talking shit about Toy Story 3 and Frozen boss

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Of course, Kingdom Hearts has amazing set pieces for boss battles. You really feel like you're actually fighting Disney villains.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Re:Mind bosses are some of the best (my personal best) in the biz. I don't even know if this is a hot take for people who've gone through the best KH bosses. They're just damn good. No other game really compares.

Shout out to from soft for having a good amount of good ones as well tho.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Of course, Kingdom Hearts has amazing set pieces for boss battles. You really feel like you're actually fighting Disney villains.

I wish the Disney villains were overall harder. They're fun to fight but often don't give you much trouble at all, and it felt like in KH3 most of them just turned into giant monsters.

I was really hoping KH3 would have Disney bonus bosses like DDD and BBS did, but alas.

OP
OP
Rommaz

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I wish the Disney villains were overall harder. They're fun to fight but often don't give you much trouble at all, and it felt like in KH3 most of them just turned into giant monsters.

I was really hoping KH3 would have Disney bonus bosses like DDD and BBS did, but alas.
Lol when I think balls to the wall hard Disney bosses I think Dragon in KH1. Maybe they don't want a repeat of that

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
~d a n c e~ ~w a t e r~

tumblr_mg2lexqQbm1r8tdf1o9_500.gif

(I love KH's bosses, they're very well made much of the time, and it feels masterful to nail the patterns of the harder ones)

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The secret boss and Xion DB in Re:mind and Roxas DB in KH2:FM are the best bosses in gaming.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The ReMind bosses are legit some of the best boss fights I've experienced in gaming for quite some time.

Like, the only stuff that even compares to me are DMC5 and From's stuff.

OP
OP
Rommaz

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
The secret boss and Xion DB in Re:mind and Roxas DB in KH2:FM are the best bosses in gaming.
I found Xion unreasonably hard at first but now that I understand the need for reactions and attack cancelling with guard I think it's a really good fight.

And yeah secret boss is among the best ever for me too. Definitely my best this gen along with Data Xemnas and Friede from Dark souls 3

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, they're really good for the most part. At least in the numbered entries.
People always hype up the super bosses, but the main stories have some good fights as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I just recently made a thread pertaining explicitly the the ReMind bosses and their designs as being in line with the quality and difficulty we tend to see from From Software which I consider essentially the highest praise I could give the DLC. So it kind of goes without saying, but I totally agree with OP. I also agree with others here who have pinpointed Yozora as an example of sublime boss design.

It's my belief that ReMind is good enough to justify playing KH3, not the other way around. I get that such a position comes from punting the story, but I really feel like there's a sufficiently complicated, engaging gameplay system underneath KH3 and it took the ReMind DLC to prove it to me.

I have since gone back after finishing ReMind and KH3 to give all the other KH games a go (I had only played 1 and 2), and as I play through BBS -- which I consider a perfectly fine game -- it makes me realize that if I want to recreate the feeling I had while I played through ReMind it's going to come in a future KH game, not an older one.

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
A shame ReMIND's bosses couldn't have been in the base game or released in 2019. Imagine discussing the best and hardest bosses of the year with them, DMCV, AND Sekiro all together.

EDIT: Screw 2019, best of all time considering those three.

Last edited:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they are amazing. ReMind secret boss is one of my favorite boss battle in videogame ever.

Raziel

Alt Account
Banned
May 28, 2019
They are awesome. Sad that couldn't beat all of them and my brother took his PS4 :/

OP
OP
Rommaz

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I just recently made a thread pertaining explicitly the the ReMind bosses and their designs as being in line with the quality and difficulty we tend to see from From Software which I consider essentially the highest praise I could give the DLC. So it kind of goes without saying, but I totally agree with OP. I also agree with others here who have pinpointed Yozora as an example of sublime boss design.

It's my belief that ReMind is good enough to justify playing KH3, not the other way around. I get that such a position comes from punting the story, but I really feel like there's a sufficiently complicated, engaging gameplay system underneath KH3 and it took the ReMind DLC to prove it to me.

I have since gone back after finishing ReMind and KH3 to give all the other KH games a go (I had only played 1 and 2), and as I play through BBS -- which I consider a perfectly fine game -- it makes me realize that if I want to recreate the feeling I had while I played through ReMind it's going to come in a future KH game, not an older one.
If they just had the ReMind skills unlocked from the start as well as the new patch's attack cancelling people would be heavily praising KH3's combat. Its soooooo much better compared to launch its ridiculous. Feels even better than 2FM. Shame only the super bosses are where you can feel them truly in effect.