• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Creating trolling platform warring thread; deep history of trolling
I watched the Playstation Showcase a few hours ago.

I was kinda baffled, not gonna lie. After thinking about it, I can´t help but wonder if the direction Playstation is heading (and has been for quite a long time to be fair) is going to be financially sustainable for much longer. Hermen and Jim took pride in representing a brand which creates videogames that put story first and videogames "that matter"... Does this mean in their vision videogames are to be more like films? Does this mean that they are consequently getting more expensive to make?

If we take an affirmative answer to these two questions, it is easy to infer the most affected aspect of these products is creativity. Let´s take a look at the games they presented:

- Wolverine: a videogame based on a superpopular Marvel´s IP. It is not gonna fail.

- Gran Turismo 7: the seventh entry in this videogame series.

- Spiderman 2: a sequel to a succesful game based on an again superpopular Marvel´s IP, part of our modern culture. I saw Peter and Miles there, what´s new apart from Venom? I bet the gameplay foundations for the game are already well established as well.

- God of War Ragnarok: this was like the most painful one to me. I swear you told me I was seeing some parts of the 2018 game I would have believed you, because I played it some time ago. I am not going to comment on graphics, but what about playing like Atreus? what about new and crazy weapons? what about mounting myhtical creatures? I really really hope they have some aces up their sleeves cause I couldn´t feel more disappointed after watching that trailer.

I think they already know this approach and vision is getting more and more dangerous on the financial side, so for diminishing the possible risks of their activity they increased prices and started to release old games on PC. The more flagrant and recent example is obviously Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves.

Do you think this is a problem and is there a solution for this?

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
But they keep posting bigger and better earnings, no? There was also that thread where Hermen mentioned 25 games in production, almost half of which were new IPs.
Their games going to PC can only be a good thing.
Creative bankruptcy? How exactly? They're also working on PSVR2.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Yeah, they like to play it safe.
Like releasing an AAA bullethell shooter without save options.
/jk

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has a lot of arms in a lot of different places and are generally full of new IPs and can keep things going. Franchises and making a new game based on a successful IP doesn't mean you're creatively bankrupt and it doesn't mean it's always going to be the same from game to game. New games, even if they are established IPs, can still invite new and exciting creative measures to allow the series to grow.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
We're pretty early into a new gen and they still have a lot of unannounced titles that we don't really know anything about.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We just had Returnal and Destruction All-Stars, even if All Stars was ass those two games were still new IPs that were different from the rest of Sony's other games.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I agree.

Big game did not use to equal 'blockbuster' in every instance, but now Sony are trying to emulate the current mainstream cinema model with every big game they put out.

We've gone from the diversity of Gravity Rush 2, The Last Guardian, etc. to everything being action setpieces with blockbuster scope. Nowhere is this clearer than Sony trying to create a very literal Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Returnal still fits this mould, borrowing as it does from Alien and Giger, but at least it's refreshing in its structure and focus. More Returnals and Death Strandings please.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
according to Hulst, Sony has over 25 games in development with around half of them being new IPs. So we'll see what the future brings.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think the show would have been received way more positively as a State of Play.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
people buy big productions in droves if they aren't broken

every year someone goes "ooooh COD isn't gonna last any longer!" while it continuously sells gangbusters

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I agree.

Big game did not use to equal 'blockbuster' in every instance, but now Sony are trying to emulate the current mainstream cinema model with every big game they put out.

We've gone from the diversity of Gravity Rush 2, The Last Guardian, etc. to everything being action setpieces with blockbuster scope. Nowhere is this clearer than Sony trying to create a very literal Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Returnal still fits this mould, borrowing as it does from Alien and Giger, but at least it's refreshing in its structure and focus. But more Returnals and Death Strandings please.

While I know a lot of people would love Gravity Rush to come back, it really didn't sell well when it should have and bringing up The Last Guardiain, which was in development hell for years, shouldn't count for much.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
I just want Sony to make RPGs and shooters but it doesn't look like they are going to do that

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Imagine judging the creativity behind GoW:R, Spidey 2, and Wolverine on their first ever trailers....

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
These reactionary threads are so bad. Sony just released in the past year Demon's Souls Remake, Sackboy, Returnal, Ratchet and now all of a sudden we're acting as if all they make are the same types of game?

We know Guerrilla is working on another game after Horizon, Cory is also rumoured to be directing a new IP, we know Bend Studio is doing the same, so is ND most likely... there's gonna be new IPs, but of course they should release sequels to some of the most beloved and successful games of the previous gen. It's like some of you have forgotten that the concept of sequels is not to revolutionise the formula, it is to perfect it and improve upon it

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
While I know a lot of people would love Gravity Rush to come back, it really didn't sell well when it should have and bringing up The Last Guardiain, which was in development hell for years, shouldn't count for much.
We're talking about creative bankruptcy in this thread, not financial bankruptcy. How does this in any way disqualify these as valid examples?

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
The solution is a Game Pass like service and if they don't implement it soon there won't be a PS6.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
OP has a valid concern. If Sony doesn't devise a better way to handle first party releases the rate they're printing money now could make it near impossible to count it all before the next one comes out.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think they'll easily adapt if sales ever dwindle. It's just more about what your current tastes are atm. These people are talented and can make any kinds of games they want.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet and Returnal?

It seems like if specific games don't appeal to an individual they just don't totally ignore it and act as if it doesn't exist.

Jul 2, 2021
I watched the Playstation Showcase a few hours ago.

I was kinda baffled, not gonna lie. After thinking about it, I can´t help but wonder if the direction Playstation is heading (and has been for quite a long time to be fair) is going to be financially sustainable for much longer. Hermen and Jim took pride in representing a brand which creates videogames that put story first and videogames "that matter"... Does this mean in their vision videogames are to be more like films? Does this mean that they are consequently getting more expensive to make?

If we take an affirmative answer to these two questions, it is easy to infer the most affected aspect of these products is creativity. Let´s take a look at the games they presented:

- Wolverine: a videogame based on a superpopular Marvel´s IP. It is not gonna fail.

- Gran Turismo 7: the seventh entry in this videogame series.

- Spiderman 2: a sequel to a succesful game based on an again superpopular Marvel´s IP, part of our modern culture. I saw Peter and Miles there, what´s new apart from Venom? I bet the gameplay foundations for the game are already well established as well.

- God of War Ragnarok: this was like the most painful one to me. I swear you told me I was seeing some parts of the 2018 game I would have believed you, because I played it some time ago. I am not going to comment on graphics, but what about playing like Atreus? what about new and crazy weapons? what about mounting myhtical creatures? I really really hope they have some aces up their sleeves cause I couldn´t feel more disappointed after watching that trailer.

I think they already know this approach and vision is getting more and more dangerous on the financial side, so for diminishing the possible risks of their activity they increased prices and started to release old games on PC. The more flagrant and recent example is obviously Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves.

Do you think this is a problem and is there a solution for this?
Maybe you should take a look at ALL Sony first party games. Come back again when you did.

Joo

May 25, 2018
God of War Ragnarok: this was like the most painful one to me. I swear you told me I was seeing some parts of the 2018 game I would have believed you, because I played it some time ago. I am not going to comment on graphics, but what about playing like Atreus? what about new and crazy weapons? what about mounting myhtical creatures? I really really hope they have some aces up their sleeves cause I couldn´t feel more disappointed after watching that trailer.
It's probably a bit too premature to say something like this when you've seen just a couple of minutes of Ragnarok.

Impossible to say for sure, but the Rakgarok has been in development since 2018 with all the foundation of the first game already in place from the start. For all we know we've only seen a tiny fraction of what the game has to offer and it's very likely that this is the case here. You just don't spend four years to make some new locales and that's it when GoW 2018 was basically made in a similar timeframe from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.