• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Raising Hope, criminally underrated wacky sitcom on Fox about a bunch of slacker idiots trying to raise their son's baby which came about as the result of a one-night-stand, was made and written (and is starred) by many of the same people as My Name is Earl.

Will I like it?

I love Jason Lee going all the way back to Mallrats, but Jamie Pressley annoys the piss out of me and she apparently features heavily in the show?

Is it a Parks and Rec "it really gets going in the second season" scenario, or immediately good? Does it fall to pieces like the last 2 seasons of The Office (US)?

Thanks, just want to make sure I don't waste my precious free time!

Also, watch Raising Hope, people, it's hilarious! (on Hulu)

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely yes. Tho I think Raising Hope is the perfection of that comedy style and formula, My Name is Earl is great and because you watched RH before you'll have a whole bunch of contextual references to call back to.

Both are great show, but I think Raising Hope was the stronger form.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
If you like Raising Hope, you'll *probably* like MNiE. Pressley is fine in it, since it's a case of her really working well for the character.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall my name is earl getting significantly better or worse as time went on. Was an enjoyable waste of time like Raising Hope was to me.
I think Parks and Rec are better than both of them (if you don't dock it to many points for the first season :P)
but all 3 are better than the office because the office has Steve Carell and in general I hate him as an actor (his voice work is alright) so I never managed to get into the office.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Yes they're pretty similar in terms of style of comedy. Quirky endearing characters, pretty light hearted tone.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
There's a lot of crossover between the two shows. I absolutely loved both of them.

The guy that created both of those also created the CBS Show Yes, Dear which I thought was surprisingly decent compared to the other CBS Monday night comedies of the time.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Both shows needed at least one more season.

As someone who likes both, I think Earl is the better show.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Jaime Pressly hate in this thread

AcrobaticLastBrocketdeer-size_restricted.gif

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Good to see the love for RH! Even if the consensus is that RH is the better form of that comedy, it sounds like a good show, so I'll check out MNiE soon. :)

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Name is Earl is great from the get-go but I felt like it dropped off pretty hard in the later seasons.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
*trying to get into the mindset of someone with polar opposite tastes*

My Name is Earl is an infinitely better show than Raising Hope

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Raising Hope was also one of my favorites, but I'd say it had a good run. 4 seasons, and once Jimmy and Sabrina got married it kinda felt like the main plot had resolved.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Earl is better but Raising Hope is enjoyable all the same. The main problem is that it remains unresolved.