• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I turned it on today because I was going to record Mega Man X5 off the original Playstation (because let's face it, you gotta go with the Guns and Roses names for the Mavericks, not the normal names in the Legacy Collection)

But the screen is flickering on and off. I wasn't sure it was a problem with the TV or not, but it seems only the PS3 is doing this.

I'm kinda annoyed because this PS3 was great for playing PS2 games in HD upscale and now that might not be a thing anymore.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
My launch PS3 died as soon as I beat Last of Us. I'm on a super slim and hope that has a better life span.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Not a good feeling. Here's hoping it's just the video cable or something.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
That generation of systems was horrible hardware wise. Just terminal thermal design.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Did you try multiple games and multiple formats, i.e. try a PS3 game too? It could be the disc or your TV's compatibility with PS1 games.

Patrese86

Jun 6, 2021
My PS3 caught fire the other week via the HDMI. Very strange, I heard it fizzing and then the next things sparks and smoke. Hopefully yours doesn't go like that.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
I have a slim model from 2011 and it was cutting out sound randomly for minutes at a time but it stopped doing it so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
When my 60gig started playing up, i packed it away too afraid it might konk. I imagine it now lives in a state of broken-not-broken in the cupboard.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My original 60 GB PS3, which I babied, died almost a decade ago so it's almost a shock when I see someone still having a functional one. I hope it's something simple like the hdmi cable but if you used it regularly since it's own generation then I'd say (sadly) you really beat the odds on the lifespan of those consoles. For everyone console in context of its own time, the original PS3 was far and away the best hardware I felt every got put out and was well worth it's price back then.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Mine is still kicking; however I only use it as a giant PS2. but it's on its last legs as the fans go into overdrive even playing said PS2 gamesā€¦.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
My launch PS3 died as soon as I beat Last of Us. I'm on a super slim and hope that has a better life span.

I went back to TLOU PS3 to finish up the 100% back in 2018ish and I kept having this weird issue where the game just refused to load certain textures, it was kinda funny when Joel would be completely black like he was wearing a cat burglar suit or something, was really weird. Figured my MGS4 PS3 was finally about to croak so I also picked up a super slim too lol

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I still have a launch PS3 that works but I use it sparingly because I don't want it to die. Thankfully, if it does I do have a second phat PS3 that a friend of mine gave away because he didn't want it anymore.

Oh well, I'll just use the Framemeister and play off the PS1

Out of curiosity and completely unrelated to the topic at hand:
why are you using a Framemeister and not a RetroTink5x?

You could sell the Framemeister, buy a RT5X and come out with a $100 profit and a more powerful device.
And it'd probably make you enjoy playing on the PS1 as well!

They are fixable. But anyone playing them now should put some new thermal paste on the cpu/gpu

I've heard other reports saying that they will eventually cease to function.
Something about the board itself heating up too much and warping, taking out the traces in the process.
I might be wrong on this.

But, either way, the OG PS3 is probably more trouble than its worth these days.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

You could sell the Framemeister, buy a RT5X and come out with a $100 profit and a more powerful device.

Something about the board itself heating up too much and warping, taking out the traces in the process.

Is it that much better?

Is it that much better?

As far as I know, yes.
The only way it might not be better is handling of 480i, in the sense that the Framemeister is a bit crisper.
However, that's at the cost of added lag, and the difference isn't large at all.

The RetroTink creator has constantly been updating it as well, so 480i might be better now?
Oh, it also doesn't have VGA input.

In every other way that I can find, the RT5x is better.
And it's cheaper than the Framemeister is - which is no longer in production.

You can ask more in the Retro AV thread.

And definitely check out the launch video, but know that the RT5x has gotten much better since release.

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN

I've never heard of any warping issues. The biggest issue that people have found on the ps3 fat are a couple of capacitors that go bad. Many people thought it was the GPU or cpu that overheated and people attempted to reball them. It was later found out it was a set of capacitors that caused the yellow light of death in many cases.

I've never heard of any warping issues. The biggest issue that people have found on the ps3 fat are a couple of capacitors that go bad. Many people thought it was the GPU or cpu that overheated and people attempted to reball them. It was later found out it was a set of capacitors that caused the yellow light of death in many cases.

Ah! That's good to hear - I remember, for a while, it seemed like a hopeless situation.
Unfortunately, if those capacitors are not the problem, it still seems like a pretty rough situation.

Seems like the green light of death is still an issue, though I'm guessing less prevalent?