• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
OBJECTION: POKEMON LET'S GO PIKACHU/EEVEE ALREADY LOOKS GOOD.
ch08_screen01f.jpg

I mean, I guess some didn't like that they went back to a semi-deformed artstyle. But c'mon people. This is the first ever HD, 3D re-imagining of a game that originally released 20 years ago in 8-bit. And frankly it looks gorgeous.
You're right, the issue i took with lets go wasnt the artstyle but the camera. If the camera was adjustable and we got something that moved like those cutscenes, it wouldve increased the overall perception.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think these are the types of statements you should be making unless you seen it yourself.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
As long as it doesn't have that awkward hitching like in Let's Go...

I'm confident it'll look fine like all the others.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ch08_screen01f.jpg

I mean, I guess some didn't like that they went back to a semi-deformed artstyle. But c'mon people. This is the first ever HD, 3D re-imagining of a game that originally released 20 years ago in 8-bit. And frankly it looks gorgeous.
This! I'd like some better animations and a fully 3D World with a free camera, but aside from that, LGPE looks awesome.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ch08_screen01f.jpg

This looks pretty good to me, a little too bland perhaps. A mix of this and the outlined models seen in Town might be nice.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised anyone can praise it's artstyle. It looks hideous graphically and artistically. You will be better off with the new Pokemon looking exactly like Let's Go.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get what people see in Town. It looks utterly unremarkable to me in the state it was shown.
because it's the "most" Game Freak has done with 3D environment design. hard to expect more when the most is this

the best thing I can say about Let's Go is that it's clean. but I hate the art, and I hate the level design.

"but it's the same as the original games!"

exactly

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I doubt it will be any different from the handheld games. It will look and feel like a handheld game that functions on Switch. The only way they would pleasantly surprise me is if the new game doesn't reminisce over the design they've used for 20 years.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rune Factory 4 Special is considered chibi-style for some players, and they loved it.

There is nothing wrong with chibi proportions. As long as gameplay is solid, everything is fine.
Well the problem I see here is that Sun/Moon are what people should see as a base to what we can expect from Gen 8, not Lets Go.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
If you think Town looks good, then you probably have low standards for what to expect for the next Pokemon game.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. Game Freak are masters of creating mediocre yet serviceable games that sell millions. This won't magically change with Gen 8.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I remember people trying to suggest Sun and Moon looked 'incredible' and 'the best looking games on the 3DS', so I'm not exactly expecting rational and measured takes for Gen 8.

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to come to terms with the fact that I'll never get a pokemon game with a fleshed out style and larger environments. At least not one that I have in my head. Part of the reason I love Pokken Tournament is the way the stages look. Neos City actually looks like a CITY instead of 7 buildings next to each other. I would absolutely love a Pokemon game that looks like Pokken's stages. Large scale and expanded upon. i adore the actual world in Pokemon and I really want it to be expanded on. This art style is so appealing to me and my dream game is to get a mainline game like this. Im not saying open world, but I do want the region you're on an Adventure in to feel like you're actually exploring it.

2-2.jpg

Gen 8 is probably gonna look like Lets Go which should be fine as long as its not a soulless remake. The art style of Lets Go isnt the problem, its how there's almost nothing unique or interesting about this rendition of Kanto. I was hoping since its a remake and that they went away with the grid based locations in gen 7, they could have more lively and interesting routes, but its just a grid again.

I really want a greater sense of scale and more interesting environments to go through. The art style of Pokemon is rather consistent. I don't think Gen 8 will be as restrained as lets go so I bet itll be pretty good.

Town looks terrible.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Gonna be hilarious if Gen 8 is just let's go with new pokemon. The meltdowns will be something to behold

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say Town is anything special at all when Ultimate Ninja Storm, NNK 2, GBF Re:Link or the DBZ RPG project exist (and ignoring Arc Sys games due to their specialized 2D perspective tricks employed), but part of that comes down to Nintendo with the hardware provided.

biF1zSA.jpg

IjZPiqA.jpg

The bigger problem with Town is the continued chibi proportions.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Town reminds me of Fantasy Life for the 3DS. Also if that's our basis then it looks like Let's Go Pokemon. Perfectly fine with that.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I knows it's not and there's a lot more done to it etc, but honestly Let's Go doesn't look like much of a step up from upping the resolution in Citra.

Town looks pretty decent, but it still has a it of a 3DS look to it.

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say Town is anything special at all when Ultimate Ninja Storm, NNK 2, GBF Re:Link or the DBZ RPG project exist (and ignoring Arc Sys games due to their specialized 2D perspective tricks employed), but part of that comes down to Nintendo with the hardware provided.

biF1zSA.jpg

IjZPiqA.jpg

The bigger problem with Town is the continued chibi proportions.

I think since DQXI is gonna be on switch, its definitely possible to get this sense of scale with Pokemon.

Oct 26, 2017
Let's Go's lighting is so unbearably awful that it makes the game look terrible. Those shadows are incredibly low res as well as being completely non-dynamic.

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
User Warned: Lazy Dev Rhetoric
i am utterly baffled by you nintendo fans, why are you guys so acceptance? why do you set the bare so low especially when it comes to pokemon? why do you not demand pokemon company to actually put some effort into these games?

the switch has proved times and times again it can run some demanding looking games, hell why can't this company create a core RPG pokemon game with pokemon tekken graphics, are you gonna argue with me it's not possible on switch?

what are you so afraid of? is brand loyalty blinding you that much? can somebody explain to me?

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Town isn't looking particularly good and just further makes me not expect a great step forward for Pokemon.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing about Let's Go looks good in my opinion.

Everything looks sort of like plastic, the world feels like a diorama due to its simplistic design and lack of camera controls. It's bland as hell, the lighting is as basic as it gets and it is criminally lacking in detail. The animations are awful and personally, the chibi designs are trash fire and even the battles are boring-looking. It reminds me too much of Pokémon Go in terms of lighting, and I loathed that from day 0 as well. I want/need Pokémon to build up from what SM created, not go back to when the world's design was grid based and be stuck with these lame visuals. I need an interesting and complex world to explore. I need something that isn't just a 3DS game upscaled, visually. Ugh.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
My hype is at 0 and it will take a lot to regain it.

Also Let's Go looks like an HD remastered 3DS game. We can do better.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
I think major Pokemon games typically look really impressive for their hardware. It sounds silly but every major new generation is nothing to scoff at visually, they're just typically held back by the platform, and Sun and Moon were no exception. They were visually full of detail while still being bright and colourful. It's easy to forget that Let's Go are the first mainline games released at anything higher than 400x240 resolution. I also think they purposefully went with a minimalist visual style for Let's Go because it's a rather strict remake of the original Gen 1 games that takes few liberties in world design and is intended to tie into Pokemon GO.

However I also think that people expecting something like Dragon Quest 11 will be let down. Game Freak are unlikely to drastically shake up the presentation to that degree. I realistically expect something akin to Sun and Moon but with less flat backgrounds as they're more obvious at higher resolution, and perhaps more work put into the transition between battle and world travel. I am hopeful we see slightly more open route design and with that a lower angle camera long term though.

i am utterly baffled by you nintendo fans, why are you guys so acceptance? why do you set the bare so low especially when it comes to pokemon? why do you not demand pokemon company to actually put some effort into these games?

the switch has proved times and times again it can run some demanding looking games, hell why can't this company create a core RPG pokemon game with pokemon tekken graphics, are you gonna argue with me it's not possible on switch?

what are you so afraid of? is brand loyalty blinding you that much? can somebody explain to me?
I've played these games for 20 years and consistently enjoyed them. I have issues with Game Freak that I express openly (namely their refusal to make more interesting long term post-game content like they used to), but visual fidelity isn't really a focus for me.

I would argue that a game of Pokemons scope is always going to be constrained by the demands of having over 800 different Pokemon be in that world though. It's why as much as I love the following Pokemon concept, I understand why it's something that's only been done in a couple of games, for example.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
What truly saddens me is that yokai watch is a better looking franchise overall,.GF could make Pokemon look as good as that but I have no faith they'll do it. I'll play Pokemon 8 anyway, but I'm not expecting anything wonderful graphically speaking.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

What's utterly baffling about it?

Jan 2, 2018
TOWN (working title)™ looks pretty good and it gives me hope for a Pokémon game with a similar charm. I think Let's Go looked okay, but it was a bit to clean for my taste, it lacked the charm I see in the reveal trailer for TOWN (working title)™.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I don't think Town looks that good. Yokai Watch 4 is what Pokemon should be aiming for visually, but they won't, sadly.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Town looks okay but it's pretty average. If you compare it to something like Breath of the Wild....it looks even more average. I'd really like to see a Pokemon game with that level of detail.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
SuMo and USUM do look good.
Not in comparison to where the rest of the industry is with anime styled games, environments, character models and more.

People's emotions and nostalgia are wrapped up in Pokémon, I get it, but the main line games have never been visually impressive and I'm not expecting GameFreak to leapfrog their strange "a generation behind" development status in the biz with Gen 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.