• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Zelda character action OTT spin off developed by platinum taking place in the years that link's asleep, hyrule castle falls and Zelda trains with impa to become a shiekah warrior. Main bad guy is Twinrova.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I would like it if there is some sort of rune portal that exists. at any point you can activate the portal and it switches characters for you on the spot.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
give me a game where i play as ganondorf
0wA8mKa.gif

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I would love to play as Zelda in a mainline game. Just not BotW Zelda. She is possibly the worst version of Zelda.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would prefer if they do this that they give Zelda her own game, and give her powers and abilities that stem from the powers the Triforce of Wisdom would grant her. I'm not 100% sure how that would translate into gameplay, but I feel like just giving Link a Zelda-coat-of-paint and making a traditional Zelda-style game would do the concept of playing as Zelda a disservice.
I disagree. While I wouldn't want to see Zelda simply play 100% like Link at all, there is value in having her perform and acquire many of the same feats and skills as him. I personally think it's important given the history of the series and character to show that just because she is a girl/princess and possesses the Tri-Force of Wisdom that doesn't mean she is incapable of being a hero similar to that of Link. There's value in both being different and in sharing similar traits/abilities.

Link himself across the various entries in the series has had a large variety of skills and abilities. There's no reason that Zelda as well couldn't share certain core gameplay aspects with Link while also introducing unique abilities and novel twists on old ones. I think saying that you need to create an entirely different game for her comes with its own set of issues and problems. It shouldn't be an either or situation, but a both. Zelda can be the protagonist and play similar to Link in a traditional mainline game and they can also create a Zelda spinoff with entirely different gameplay.

I would love to play as Zelda in a mainline game. Just not BotW Zelda. She is possibly the worst version of Zelda.
I don't mind her at all. The VO wasn't great, but that can be fixed. I think the end of that game positioned her very well to take on a leading role and face the demands of being the hero.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I think we'll get that in BotW, but I don't know if fans will like it, the way I envision it the player can choose at any time to play as either Zelda or Link and depending on who they use the combat system is drastically different, while Link uses weapons, arrows and Runes, Zelda uses spells for attacking, healing, boosting stats etc.

This would be so badass 😌
With some co-op missions...

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind it, as long as it's not at the expense of Link being the star. I also wouldn't mind if she got a spinoff series for herself.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand this.
Male is the "default" that most games settle on, so a lot of people feel excluded because of that.

Link is not a particularly well-defined character. I haven't paid attention to the Zelda timeline at all, but except for direct-sequels, I believe it's a different Link for every game.
He's a silent protagonist and a blank slate at that. There's absolutely no underlying reason that Link has to be male.
It would be such an easy win for Nintendo to make this an option - or a similar "hero" character like Linkle - though I never did play Hyrule Warriors, so I know nothing about her.
That way they could stick to their typical "save the princess" trope they use for most of the games, without having to make any major changes.

Zelda on the other-hand, is a well-defined character with a specific role - which is why they seem to have been reluctant about making her a playable character in the mainline games.
Now things are more nuanced than that of course. Zelda played a different role in Breath of the Wild than most other Zelda games, and it's looking like she probably will be playable in BotW2.

And many people dislike it when playable female characters are nothing more than a model swap for the male character, rather than being written as a new and unique female character with appropriate personality traits and behaviors.
But the "model swap" might be better than some of Nintendo's previous efforts such as Super Princess Peach, where your abilities were all emotion-based and crying was a gameplay mechanic.
Even if Zelda is playable in BotW2, I would expect them to give her different abilities than Link. Maybe what I want is a female Link, rather than to play as Zelda - especially if it's a co-op game.

Last edited:

twinspectre

Nov 30, 2019
I think we'll get that in BotW, but I don't know if fans will like it, the way I envision it the player can choose at any time to play as either Zelda or Link and depending on who they use the combat system is drastically different, while Link uses weapons, arrows and Runes, Zelda uses spells for attacking, healing, boosting stats etc.
Sheik :)

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
I have never understood why people care about playing as Zelda. What possible reason is there to switch protagonists, other than to say they did it?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I disagree. While I wouldn't want to see Zelda simply play 100% like Link at all, there is value in having her perform and acquire many of the same feats and skills as him. I personally think it's important given the history of the series and character to show that just because she is a girl/princess and possesses the Tri-Force of Wisdom that doesn't mean she is incapable of being a hero similar to that of Link. There's value in both being different and in sharing similar traits/abilities.

Link himself across the various entries in the series has had a large variety of skills and abilities. There's no reason that Zelda as well couldn't share certain core gameplay aspects with Link while also introducing unique abilities and novel twists on old ones. I think saying that you need to create an entirely different game for her comes with its own set of issues and problems. It shouldn't be an either or situation, but a both. Zelda can be the protagonist and play similar to Link in a traditional mainline game and they can also create a Zelda spinoff with entirely different gameplay.
Obviously she's gonna run and ride a horse and push boxes. Please don't put words in my mouth. All I'm saying is there's a lot of room to be creative with the design rather than retreading what we already have.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, imagine an MGS2-type scenario where Nintendo hides that the only playable character is Zelda the whole time.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Wow, imagine an MGS2-type scenario where Nintendo hides that the only playable character is Zelda the whole time.
Agreed. it would be a most spectacular thing to see unfold. I posted some time ago now how amazing it would be if the opening of the game had us playing as Link up to that scene where we find Ganondorf in the reveal trailer and then he gets fridged and we play as Zelda thereafter. The reactions online would be with it alone.

They could even have a whole E3 showcase and floor demo for people to play through like the Great Plateau with just Link in the opening bit. But I don't think Nintendo is down with that kind of deception and trolling.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
But what would Link do while Zelda is having her adventure?!
I assume a game like that would be a spinoff. He need not necessarily be in it (though I would prefer if he was). There are points in the timeline/series (like, say, ruined Hyrule post OoT, his seven year hibernation, MM, pre-WW, the events preceding TP, etc etc) where the dude just wasn't present/did not exist whilst Zelda was dealing with whatever, so it's not too hard to imagine.

Alternatively, they could just be adventuring simultaneously but apart. Or a game with multiple controllable characters like ss.

LET ME PLAY AS A MAGIC NINJA NINTENDO

edit:

I would prefer if they do this that they give Zelda her own game, and give her powers and abilities that stem from the powers the Triforce of Wisdom would grant her. I'm not 100% sure how that would translate into gameplay, but I feel like just giving Link a Zelda-coat-of-paint and making a traditional Zelda-style game would do the concept of playing as Zelda a disservice.
Yeah, if the idea is to do a model swap, then I'm totally against the idea. Obviously there'd be some crossover since most (modern) Zeldas are proficient in archery and horseback riding, but a game done well would probably be something of a paradigm shift.

Last edited:

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
As interesting and relevant as that sounds, I struggle to find the gameplay of this. Not a hot take, honest consideration. Are we talking Zelda/Sheik? Are we talking Link as support? Are we talking about expanding her magical abilities? Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what our engagement to interaction is with her, as it almost sounds like a completely different game - which would be fine. Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with her characteristics from an action/adventure point of view, but I just don't want her to be shoehorned as female Link. I'd want her to stand out as her own character worthy of her own adventure.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
The only thing that could be more hype than the original Twilight Princess trailer is one that builds to a reveal of Zelda as the protagonist and a subtitle-less "The Legend of Zelda."

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I think it could work pretty well, if you defend your partner you get more food, otherwise you get dubious food, the cooking element of BotW has to be tweaked in some way to keep the player's interest in the sequel, I know some people simply love testing recipes, but they're not the majority and someone might think cooking the same way might be a drag in the sequel.

Not a bad idea but i don't see Nintendo wanting to mix up BOTW too much.

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
As interesting and relevant as that sounds, I struggle to find the gameplay of this. Not a hot take, honest consideration. Are we talking Zelda/Sheik? Are we talking Link as support? Are we talking about expanding her magical abilities? Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what our engagement to interaction is with her, as it almost sounds like a completely different game - which would be fine. Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with her characteristics from an action/adventure point of view, but I just don't want her to be shoehorned as female Link. I'd want her to stand out as her own character worthy of her own adventure.
Sheik would be the easy choice (and *chef's kiss*) since she could fight and even locomote very differently from link whilst still using a variety of standard weaponry and having access to more magic than Link ever does. I imagine a non-Sheik Zelda could just drop most of the stealth altogether and use magically-generated light weapons and/or have gameplay revolving largely around spell casting and sealing. Which could be amazing, but is far riskier.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I wish they'd take some minor fomulas from Ys with the party swap. 3 person party. Or just 2 would be fine. Let me control both!

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo really needs to remake Spirit Tracks so people will play it. Zelda is amazing in that game.

For Breath of the Wild 2, what they could do is have both Link and Zelda playable. Give Zelda the Sheikah Slate and runes since I feel that kind of thing didn't really fit Link well. Give Link more traditional mechanical items (via the magic hand thing). You control both and switch between them to use their different abilities. Combine their abilities to solve puzzles, etc. Like Spirit Tracks but better.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I rather have female link because:

1- that way she plays the same, but does the positive representation all the same
2- then i have the link x zelda yuri fanfic i always wanted to write but never motivated myself to do with linkle in warriors.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Does there have to be gameplay differences? Wouldn't the narrative implications and possibilities be sufficient? Not that there couldn't or shouldn't be gameplay differences, but I don't see why that would need to be paramount to justifying the move. For me such a shift would be quite significant due to the series/character's history without doing anything else. And are we talking purely combat wise, as plenty of gameplay exists outside that which could be different while combat could remain much the same. While it's not that hard to imagine some basic magic based attacks or reinterpretations of classic abilities via a magic twist, there are still plenty of things outside of that which could done to differentiate the two characters more than they already are.

Supposing Zelda is the lead in BotW2, interactions with the populace could be very different for her than it was for Link due to her being the Princess, allowing for unique and interesting side quests. This could provide ample justification for Zelda to have a more developed relationship with various NPCs in the world similar to the deeper side quests and interactions we saw in Majora's Mask. Zelda was gone for 100 years and wants to connect with her subjects and allies.

The world of Hyrule in that game was extremely devastated and left to ruin for a century. While numerous entries in the series have featured rebuilding side quests this kind of feature could be expanded for Zelda as she works to rebuild her fallen kingdom. This could be as basic as just having a lot more instances of side quests like Tarry Town or repairing bridges from TP, to having actual missions focused on clearing out areas to be reclaimed and other events focused on reclaiming and rebuilding what was lost and new things.

Then there's the fact that BotW's Zelda was very studious and technically minded, shown to be helping head up excavations and research into the Divine Beasts and Guardians. With this new game looking to potentially have a focus on underground areas, spelunking and archaeological based events could be introduced. Giving just cause for us to pay closer attention and investigate the smaller details in the locations we visit throughout the world. This could be as simple as just letting us interact more with object and locations or as complex as introducing a whole subsystem of collecting runes and ancient script throughout the world to help solve puzzles and unlock things.

None of this needs to be radically different in terms of the overall feel or play of the game, but contextually would come across and feel different as it relates to Zelda. Even bringing back gameplay like Musical Instruments and using songs to interact with the world and playing a song like Zelda's Lullaby would have much different significance coming from Zelda herself than it would from Link.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like she could be playable in BOTW2, at least partially. Maybe that's the gameplay reason behind her haircut? It would be easier to animate.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

^ (emphasis mine)

It's literally easy to transfer their individual schtick's from Smash Bros and into a game. They play differently and effectively in Smash, and they could in a new game too.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.