• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Just a slow sunday saturday thought, but I think it's time for Nintendo to think about a mainline the legend of Zelda game game where the princess is the main playable character.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I would love one set in Breath of the Wild world/gameplay/aesthetic - but I kind of doubt it will happen.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I think we'll get that in BotW, but I don't know if fans will like it, the way I envision it the player can choose at any time to play as either Zelda or Link and depending on who they use the combat system is drastically different, while Link uses weapons, arrows and Runes, Zelda uses spells for attacking, healing, boosting stats etc.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually want a Zelda led spin off/different type of gameplay loop where it's all trippy because mental/prophetic powers instead of hitting stuff with a sword. Make it like Zelda meets Dune or something, or make it involve a bunch of plane shifting with weird impressionistic art styles and improbable physics and stuff. But that's just me and it's never actually happening.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This is known, except by Nintendo. It would make BotW a really great Duology. Link's adventure and then Zelda's adventure.

It's high time she took a leading role for a great many reasons.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
That BotW 2 trailer made me wonder if it's going in that direction, perhaps even coop, hope they do it.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Just a slow sunday saturday thought, but I think it's time for Nintendo to think about a mainline the legend of Zelda game game where the princess is the main playable character.
OW BOY do we have a thread for you!

www.resetera.com

The Legend of Playable Zelda: Setting Ourselves Up for Disappointment... Together! (Speculation, Discussion, and Wishful Thinking) [Media Heavy!]

Do you like The Legend of Zelda? Do you think it would be cool to play as Zelda herself? Do you think there’s a chance this could happen in the sequel to Breath of the Wild? If you answered yes to these questions, this thread is for you. But if you’re not here to be optimistic and have fun...

Seriously come and hang out but make sure to read the OP because its amazing and someone put way too much effort and time into it for you NOT to end up reading it.

ENJOY :D

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
It's possible what we saw in the trailer for Breath of the Wild 2 was Link being captured by the big glowy hand- perhaps Zelda has to rescue him this time

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's possible what we saw in the trailer for Breath of the Wild 2 was Link being captured by the big glowy hand and Zelda having to rescue him
As much as I hope that's the case, I feel like the best case scenario is that glowing hand giving Link a new power & Zelda also being playable.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That BotW 2 trailer made me wonder if it's going in that direction, perhaps even coop, hope they do it.
That's the impression I got as well. Maybe it'll be like Prince of Persia in the sense that Zelda or Link will function like Elika, and help you in combat, or during puzzles. Hopefully you can seamlessly cycle between them to use their distinctive skillsets in different situations.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
twb81ram6al11.gif

220px-Zeldasadventure_packaging.jpg

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
But what would Link do while Zelda is having her adventure?!
Adding context for eating mid-battle: if you play as Zelda Link builds a fire with a pan and cooks for Zelda in the distance, same for swapped roles, it could add sort of a Tower-Defense-ish aspect to battles since obviously if you're cooking you can't battle

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's possible what we saw in the trailer for Breath of the Wild 2 was Link being captured by the big glowy hand- perhaps Zelda has to rescue him this time
This is more or less my hope, however unlikely it is.

I personally would love to see a straight up role reversal with Link getting captured and rendered helpless requiring Zelda to rescue him for once. Even still they could also have a situation where it's specifically a role reversal from BotW and not the whole damsel in distress trope the series often uses. Instead of Link getting captured by Ganon-mummy he could just get stuck holding him back, like Zelda got stuck holding back Calamity for 100 years in BotW. While effectively the same thing, the context of it isn't Link being helpless and captured, but in a never ending fight to hold back a major threat. So for the stupid question of "what would Link do" well he'd be using his new magic hand to combat and keep Ganondorf from escaping and destroying Hyrule while Zelda goes off and finds a means of defeating him. And in the process go through trials to prove herself a worthy Hero. Especially if using or restoring the Master Sword is involved.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Adding context for eating mid-battle: if you play as Zelda link builds a fire with a pan and cooks for Zelda in the distance, same for swapped roles, it could add sort of a Tower-Defense-ish aspect to battles since obviously if you're cooking you can't battle

He's being facetious.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
As much as I hope that's the case, I feel like the best case scenario is that glowing hand giving Link a new power & Zelda also being playable.
True but playing as Link again would go against the context BotW1 had. Link lost his memory and had to essentially train up again explaining his lack of abilities. Not to say they can't and won't just start him from scratch - but it would be weird for such an established character to go back to basics. Playing as Zelda could get around that

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
True but playing as Link again would go against the context BotW1 had. Link lost his memory and had to essentially train up against explaining his lack of abilities. Not to say they can't and won't just start him from scratch again - but it would be weird for such an established character to go back to basics. Playing as Zelda could get around that
I'm not saying I disagree with you, I'm just saying I don't see is very likely...as much as I want your scenario to happen.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Nintendo stick with their silent protagonists and I never have to listen to that pound shop American-trying-to-sound-British accent again, I am absolutely all in on this idea.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
He's being facetious.
I think it could work pretty well, if you defend your partner you get more food, otherwise you get dubious food, the cooking element of BotW has to be tweaked in some way to keep the player's interest in the sequel, I know some people simply love testing recipes, but they're not the majority and someone might think cooking the same way might be a drag in the sequel.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
If Zelda is playable in BOTW2, It would be really jarring to have her talking and link not talk.

And even if link talks with voice acting, it would be jarring as well cause he didn't talk at all in the first game.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling BotW 2 is going to be that game. I think both Link and Zelda are gonna be the 2 main playable characters in that and you switch between the two. Either that or you choose who you want to control, either Link or Zelda, and the other one is relegated to AI partner.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
To pre-empt: The rule goes that if Aonuma is trolling about this in the next interview... then it means it's not in the game.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Not that I dislike the idea of making Link a girl (hopefully that happens at some point), but what's wrong with the idea of a playable Zelda?
I dont know I just hate the idea of playing a side character, a spinoff. Maybe its because of MGS2.

EDIT: Let me clarify, they can make a game with Zelda as the main character. I just dont want that game to be their big 4+ year developed mainline zelda game. DLC would be fine too.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell would you control Zelda in a game called 'Legend of Zelda'?
You crazy, son.

But seriously, Nintendo seem super adverse to this idea, for some reason.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I would prefer if they do this that they give Zelda her own game, and give her powers and abilities that stem from the powers the Triforce of Wisdom would grant her. I'm not 100% sure how that would translate into gameplay, but I feel like just giving Link a Zelda-coat-of-paint and making a traditional Zelda-style game would do the concept of playing as Zelda a disservice.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would prefer if they do this that they give Zelda her own game, and give her powers and abilities that stem from the powers the Triforce of Wisdom would grant her. I'm not 100% sure how that would translate into gameplay, but I feel like just giving Link a Zelda-coat-of-paint and making a traditional Zelda-style game would do the concept of playing as Zelda a disservice.

This is how I feel (it would be cool if they just made Zelda the kwisatz haderach instead of just Link with a Zelda skin) but the female Link thing also falls subject to the distaff counterpart trope so idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.