• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Druckmann directed Last of Us 1 & 2 and Uncharted 4. Pretty sure all three of those games are highly regarded a lot more than a majority of what came out in the last 7 years.
I think part of the reason for the reaction isn't the quality of his games, but his role in them. He's the "Creative Director" and Lead Writer, he focuses more on the storytelling side of things, directing actors, scenes and so on. In Naughty Dog, the directorial roles are even divided as Game Director / Creative Director, indicating the separation.

He's an excellent director and writer, but when you contrast him with Miyamoto, Miyazaki and Kojima, he's being praised for a very different set of skills. They're not worth less, but they're different. I wouldn't put Austin Wintory and Olivier Deriviere alongside Kojima or Miyazaki, even though I think they're brilliant composers and greatly value music in games.

I'm sure as a director he also has a ton of input in game design, but even then, the game design part of Naughty Dog's games is largely derivative, even if superbly executed. Their expertise is impeccable cinematic execution, not genre defining game design. I wouldn't put the Game Directors of his games alongside Kojima and Miyamoto, so I definitely wouldn't put him there either.

And I say this as someone who likes The Last of Us more than any Kojima or Miyamoto game I've played, so I genuinely mean nothing bad by it. It's a different category, not an inferior one. Unless A Link to the Past counts as "a Miyamoto game", in which case, that one is something else.

There's also the fact that Miyazaki has been considered one of the greatest directors in the industry since before Druckmann's directorial debut, which justifies some of the puzzled reactions.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Druckman? Lmao

Miyazaki is up there. He created the most copied game of the last decade or so, basically created a new genre but even games that are not going for the same genre copy mechanics from it.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
If Kojima's on whatever this list is, Druckmann sure as shit deserves to be on there too.

Miyamoto should not be compared to anyone. He is on a different unattainable level.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down with that; I have great respect for the souls franchise.

But I'm going to need at least 20 more people to post "Druckmann doesn't belong on this list lolololol" - it's fresh, original, insightful, and is definitely what the OP intended to discuss.

it is definitely what the OP intended to discuss. it is the entire purpose of this topic

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Look I LOVE Naughty Dog games okay...

But you're fucking kidding yourself if you think Neil Druckmann is on the same level as Shigeru fucking Miyamoto.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Miyamoto is really on another level to anyone else, the impact he has had on the industry and for such an extended period is basically impossible to replicate

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
Druckmann is good but he's not on the legendary level. Everyone else on your list has either shaped or created a genre of games and has created gameplay mechanics that others copy. Druckmann games are fantastic story wise but nothing special gameplay wise.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
He already is since Demon's and Dark. Miyazaki is already well respected.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Yes, laughing at the OP for the suggestion instead of explaining why you disagree is toxic.

How is Miyazaki much more worthy than Druckmann exactly?

Dark Souls
Bloodborne
Sekiro

Uncharted
The Last of Us

Both of their contributions to the industry are relatively new and low-quantity compared to Miyamoto and Kojima. What exactly makes Druckmann "nowhere near" Miyazaki exactly?

One basically created a genre and the most copied game of the last decade and the other one just makes the same games as others but makes them extremely well. Which is fine. He is extremely good at what he is. But as a innovator/"visionary" he is no miyazaki.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Yes, laughing at the OP for the suggestion instead of explaining why you disagree is toxic.

Dark Souls
Bloodborne
Sekiro

Uncharted
The Last of Us

Both of their contributions to the industry are relatively new and low-quantity compared to Miyamoto and Kojima. What exactly makes Druckmann "nowhere near" Miyazaki exactly?

In fairness to including Miyazaki over Drunkmann, I don't think anyone has said "This is the Uncharted of..." ever, and there were like 2 years where everyone said "This is the Dark Souls of...", so there's that. I personally don't think either should be on the "list" however.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I'd already put him above Druckmann and Kojima tho...

Nobody is near Miyamoto though, thats just unachievable IMO and that's not a knock on anyone, it is what it is.
It's impossible because of the time frame that's why. When Miyamoto was creating games the medium was in its infancy. Totally different.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
That's childish also and I'd argue people are laughing at both.
no it isnt. its not like ppl are calling OP names or anything. people think its a ridiculous assertion to make, more so when this is OP second try at such a thread.

Dark Souls
Bloodborne
Sekiro

Uncharted
The Last of Us

Both of their contributions to the industry and relatively new and low-quantity compared to Miyamoto and Kojima. What exactly makes Druckmann "nowhere near" Miyazaki exactly?
Miyazaki created a new genre, basically. Druckmann has not. as ive said on my first post: incredible director and writer. still not near the others on the list. will he probably be one day? sure. not for now, tho.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Uhh why is Druckmann on this list lol. Not even close to the others.

Agree that Miyazaki should be on the list though.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
You can argue Miyazaki vs Druckmann all you want. They are roughly in same tier. But Kojima or Miyamoto!? Hold your horses on that one.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
One of those is well regarded. One has a very mixed opinion. The other is simply fine with a relatively lame story.
Lol that's not true at all all those games are well regarded unless you by into shitty internet narratives.

If Kojima's on whatever this list is, Druckmann sure as shit deserves to be on there too.

Miyamoto should not be compared to anyone. He is on a different unattainable level.
I generally prefer the gameplay in kojima games such as MGS,but druckmann is definitely the better writer that's for sure.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Miyazaki saved us from a life long servitude to Batman Arkham style rhythm combat. After Dark Souls, developers saw a different way to copy and paste a combat system on to their games.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Miyazaki changed the entire industry. The number of Souls-like games, and games that use a version of combat/stamina from souls is astronomical.

Some of the best games of last gen were directly inspired (ie. Hollow Knight, God of War)

The number of almost straight copies - Nioh, Surge etc..

Souls was easily the most impactful series last gen without a doubt.

Honestly you can almost attribute the rise of Stamina Bars in every second game to Souls.

Even Assassin's Creed Valhalla is the Souls stamina/control layout just in a looser form.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lets see him create a different type of game before putting him in miyamoto's class. i don't really put kojima in miyamoto's class either.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Miyazaki was already up there for me. Maybe the thread should've been called...

"I think it's time that Neil Druckmann was put on par with the likes of Miyazaki, Miyamoto and Kojima"

To which my reply would've been, he's made some great games, but he still needs time before I'd think of him in the same way.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017

Dark Souls
Bloodborne
Sekiro

Uncharted
The Last of Us

Uncharted and TLoU are derivative.

There was really nothing quite like the Souls games at the time. Not to mention Dark Souls caused a huge paradigm shift away from linear, hold your hand gameplay that was trendy at the time, like Uncharted.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
The GOTY list...

And Druckman fully belongs on that list.

Whether some people like that or not.

YOu should add Cory on that list too. Credit should given where its due.

Megapighead

May 2, 2018
Lol at all the people dismissing Druckmann, as if he hasn't directed several of the highest rated games of the last decade and of all time.
Exactly this. I'm actually quite surprised at the discourse in this thread. I've considered Druckmann to be among the best of the best for some time now. Guess that's not a common opinion!

Oh and btw, Miyazaki has been at that level for a while already IMO. Unquestionably one of the all time greats.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Miyazaki's not there with the greats (neither is Druckmann). His games are all samey. The greats like Kamiya, Miyamoto, etc have games across a diverse set of genres.
This is reasonable. Miyazaki is definitely up there but I would put him a tier below these other game directors until we see something else from him, hopefully Elden Ring is that. Druckmann I would put a tier below Miyazaki as he just doesnt have enough work under his belt yet.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I knew what this thread would devolve into as soon as I read the title. Era can be so predictable at times, haha.

Anyway, Miyazaki has been up there for a while, imo. And while I have high reverence for Druckmann, maybe the thread wouldn't have turned into a shit show if you replaced Druckmann with Fumito Ueda.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Folks getting all bothered by Druckmann when the real issue with OP is the assumption Miyazaki wasn't already there.

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
Uncharted 2 and TLoU changed the landscape of gaming. Come on now
He didn't direct UC2, that was Bruce and Amy. TLoU was certainly influential, but I wouldn't say it "changed the landscape of gaming." That's a more appropriate description of Mario, MGS, and Souls.
I love his games and the direction he has taken ND in, but c'mon, putting him on the same level ridiculous.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017

Dark Souls
Bloodborne
Sekiro

Uncharted
The Last of Us

One guy has basically made the walking dead: the videogame, the other one has literally invented a genre and made some of the best games of all time.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Look I LOVE Naughty Dog games okay...

But you're fucking kidding yourself if you think Neil Druckmann is on the same level as Shigeru fucking Miyamoto.
I kinda focused on the Miyazaki aspect but yeah no let's not act like anyone's contributions come close to Miyamoto's.
In fairness to including Miyazaki over Drunkmann, I don't think anyone has said "This is the Uncharted of..." ever,
Ehhh, there were a lot of games trying to do Uncharted moments after UC2. But Druckmann didn't even direct that game that influenced so many.

Status
Not open for further replies.