• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
As ridiculous as it is, I find some types of black metal... peaceful?
oh I totally agree. It's just that I need to actively pay attention to the music to be able to properly appreciate it. If I'm doing something else it somewhat ends up sounding like white noise playing over ww2 artillery footage.
But if you want soothing, I'd suggest listening to post-black :).

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly at this point I'll listen to pretty much anything as long as it's not some super depressing shit or a sappy love song.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Each to their own.

Personally, I listen to and love a vast majority of genres of music.

On my playlist I have Wu-Tang Clan next to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Fleetwood Mac next to Slipknot. Jon Bon Jovi next to Death Grips etc etc. I just love music.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
As a musician, I sort of feel obligated to give everything a fair shake. I don't like a lot of stuff, but I do try to listen to popular things, as success in music is something I was not able to attain and I feel immense respect for anyone who can be successful. I'm the only one of my friends who likes hard rock. I go to those shows alone, which is actually kind of liberating. I'm the only one I know who likes electronic music. As a guitar player, that was a tough internal-sell. Depeche Mode - Violator did the trick. I like some rap, but I don't really listen to it a lot. There's no "hate" involved, it just doesn't really grab me. There is something appealing about seeing a rap performance where everyone is playing instruments. I do have a lot of respect for a good metered rhyme, especially when people can do it on the fly. I always said "...except for country", but that's not true. Alabama was the soundtrack of my youth and I'll put Dixieland Delight in my top 10 all-time songs, if I'm honest. Great harmonies and who doesn't like fiddle? (don't answer that) Sturgill Simpson is also a great example of country done right (Turtles All the Way Down). Blue grass... holy shit. I never considered it, but I have a fairly large group of friends (100 plus with families) who go to a bluegrass festival on the Suwanee river in Florida every March. We originally went for the family aspect of it, but that music is growing on me. Check out Billy Strings' new album Home (or better yet, see him live, if you can find a ticket). I was in symphonic band, so classical is something I very much listen to when I want to concentrate. I lump modern soundtrack music in with classical.

I'll be damned if I don't miss guitar solos in modern popular music. Nothing pisses me off more than a radio station cutting Freebird or Smashing Pumpkins' Drown.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Well, considering that some people don't listen to any music at all as they have never found anything that speaks to them and that it might not even exist. Or even say that they "don't like music". I'd say it's ok for someone to only listen to one genre.

I could not do it but i think it's ok.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I view music in the same vein like languages, science, art, philosphy or knowledge in general. Always try to push your horizon everyday in some way.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you. I bounce around a ton, even in the span of a day. Sometimes I put something on that just isn't doing it for me, or I explore a genre I've never really been into just to see if it's something I'd like.

Just this week I've been listening to Joanna Newsom, Joni Mitchell, Hall & Oates, Lightning Bolt, Death Grips, Lightning Bolt, David Bowie, Algiers, Anderson Paak, Anamanaguchi, Swans, Nick Cave and others. All over the place.

I always am intrigued by music that I kind of dislike at first, as weird as it sounds. It usually sticks with me longer. Stuff where I put it on and it's a banger right away usually gets stuck in my head and wears me out.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yeah, I don't care where it's from or what genre - if my ears like it that is all that matters. Pink Floyd last night. Deafheaven tonight. UK Drill last week. Saw Carly Rae Jepsen on a Top Albums of the decade list somewhere - will pop on Emotion and her new one tomorrow. Always looking for things I haven't heard.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
This is something I did when I first got into music at a young age. I wanted to listen to other bands that sounded like the few I really liked. Things have changed since I've gotten older. I use to poke fun at people for listening to country music, but now I'm over here rocking out to Garth Brooks and Brooks and Dunn lol. I'll listen to anything. If I like it, I like it.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"You only listen to rap? I listen to evertyhing"

Yeah, that's cause you got no taste mate.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
I've found most people generally don't realize that hip/hop and rap being the dominant genre of music is relatively new. So everyone listens to it, but everyone thinks they have some cultured tasted because they listen to it.

Deleted member 42102

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
It's weird to me as well, but it's no biggie honestly.

My playlist will go from DaBaby, to Bump of Chicken, to Robin Schulz, to NCT in under 12 minutes.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
I don't listen to any music.

I appreciate a good score or when a song is used well in the context of another medium (like film or tv), but I have zero interest in the medium outside of that.

I'm pretty much the same. I might have the radio on as a background noise as I do some chores or make food but other than that I don't really listen to music.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man growing up you guys have no idea how many teens/kids refuse to listen to anything other than "anime" sounding music or K-pop...

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I think music taste is def defined by our experiences and culture, especially those formative ones growing up. when you think about it, much of the music one listens to especially in your younger years is defined by what those around you listen to. if you live in a rural area with parents who listen to country, you probably end up listening to country, for instance. if you are more solitary and watch a lot of anime and play video games then you probably listen to music which relates to that.

I'm saying this as someone who grew up listening to to emo and metal music because that's what some of my relatives and friends were into, not to say that I didn't enjoy it at the time. But as I got older and had more experiences in life and started to appreciate other cultures, the same happened with my music taste - and I can say I like at least something in every genre. music in many ways is cultural expression, so liking something new is about having an open mind, not necessarily "taste".

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I've only listened to NYC metro area hip hop for like 10 years. I refused to listen to anything from the West Coast until 2001-2002

so not only did i listen to just one genre, but only about a inch of space on the whole map of the US

i wasn't anti west was just pro east
(Bonus points if you can name the radio interview that came from)

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it depends on what you consider a genre.. I listen to mostly rock (guitar music), but a bunch of different styles, from punk to emo to indie-folk to hardcore..
Occasionally I'll listen to rap or straight up synth-pop type stuff, but it's rare. Sometimes I think I should expand what I listen to a little bit but there's already more great stuff than I can keep up with in the corner of music I spend most of my time in.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I listen to everything except for modern twangy/whiny country music. (and I'm from/live in the south)

I literally open up the "new releases" section of my music app every week and give every single album 2-3 song chances to grab my attention. No matter the genre.

I honestly don't know anyone else that does that.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
As a true kvltist, I only listen to Norwegian Black Metal!

Not really, but if people only enjoy a certain kind of music just let them lol.

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
I like albums I can listen to in full. If there are any bad songs on there or the length of the album is too short I feel ripped off. That eliminates 90% of the music out there and I'm fine with that.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I listen to metal almost exclusively, but occasionally branch out to prog rock or Carpenter Brut.

I don't judge people based on what they listen to because who gives a shit. Most people don't like the music I like, and that's ok.