• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished eating a turkey I dry brined, spatchcocked, and cooked to the perfect temp. Simply seasoned with some pepper. Ultimately I was left unimpressed by it, as I always am. The star of the show being the mashed potatoes, gravy I made from turkey stock I had made earlier, and the stuffing.

As far as proteins go, turkey seems to drag everything down for me. A fatty cut of anything other than turkey would have been so much better. A roasted pork shoulder especially. Why couldn't that be tradition besides this gamey monstrosity? 🦃 I'm making a brisket next year, fuck this shit.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My recommendation: try a slow-cooked bone-in ham on a BBQ next year instead. Make yourself a glaze and just give it a hit with a baster every 15-30 minutes.

Turkey usually blows unless you get it at a restaurant where they know how to do a good job of it, IMO.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I'd rather have roast chicken, honestly, but hey, it's tradition.

OP
OP
BlueTsunami

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
My recommendation: try a slow-cooked bone-in ham on a BBQ next year instead. Make yourself a glaze and just give it a hit with a baster every 15-30 minutes.

Turkey usually blows unless you get it at a restaurant where they know how to do a good job of it, IMO.

That sounds a million times better. It feels like there should a touch of richness or something a bit more complex from the meat. Turkey seems to bring nothing to the table besides nostalgia.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
people only started eating turkey because turkeys are huge assholes and they taste close enough to chicken to justify kicking the shit out of them.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Welp at least you gave it a try OP? I usually just eat pork. Mmm roasted ham.

Couldn't have that this year because my stove decided to die so I just had bacon. =/

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I'm doing ham, rotisserie chicken, and meatloaf this year. Turkey is the blandest protein.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not thanksgiving but yeah, we haven't done Turkey at Christmas for almost a decade. We've had duck, steak, beef wellington over the years. It makes a nice change to look forward to something beyond the sides! Turkey is fine and all but it's the rest like stuffing, roast potatoes, chipolatas etc. that really make the meal not the Turkey but I do love having it in sandwiches.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The fact that gravy is so hyped up on Thanksgiving really tells you what people think of turkey by itself. Nobody goes to a steakhouse thinking "oh man I can't wait to have that steak sauce."

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I don't know.... I haven't cut into this years turkey yet, but the last 3 years have all been juicy and delicious.
Even the breast meat was pretty juicy 2 of the last 3 years.

Maybe try prepping it differently?
Although I would much prefer all the suggested other protein options, as this is literally the ONLY time of year I eat turkey.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, turkey usually tends to get dry and taste kinda bland no matter how much you attempt to make it work. Good thing gravy exists to salvage it though.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Our family used to do a rib roast for Thanksgiving instead of turkey, but we have moved that to Christmas instead.

This year we picked up a pre-cooked turkey breast from Whole Foods that only required a reheat in the oven. It was actually quite moist and flavorful, just seasoned with salt and pepper. I don't normally care for turkey unless it's smoked and on a sandwich, but this was actually really good.

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
Since it was just my wife and I, I made a prime rib. On non-COVID years when we gather with family, I usually smoke a brisket to go with the standard turkey.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I made my first 14lb turkey today and fucking nailed it.

I didn't go for pretty, I stabbed the fuck out of it so juice could get inside and slab it with butter, salt, pepper and the Goya seasoning I use for everything left it over night.

350 degrees, popped out at 2 hours to drain the glass it was cooking in, mixed it with more butter and seasoning, coated it again and at hour 3, hour 4 I did the last basting and left uncovered to brown like momma said for 15 then let rest.

Came out great. I will be dead from turkey sandwiches within the week.

Also, Mash potatoes. Put a ton of mayo in it with half a stick of butter and splashes of milk depending on the amount. Salt and pepper it and it's sublime. I can't stand mash that tastes like nothing. It should be able to hold its own without gravy to save it

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
Not a turkey fan either but my wife loves it. I stomach it the first night which is the traditional carved way, but afterwards I make Turkey Tetrazzini with leftovers, which is delicious.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I made my first 14lb turkey today and fucking nailed it.

I didn't go for pretty, I stabbed the fuck out of it so juice could get inside and slab it with butter, salt, pepper and the Goya seasoning I use for everything left it over night.

350 degrees, popped out at 2 hours to drain the glass it was cooking in, mixed it with more butter and seasoning, coated it again and at hour 3, hour 4 I did the last basting and left uncovered to brown like momma said for 15 then let rest.

Came out great. I will be dead from turkey sandwiches within the week.

I don't understand. You stabbed it repeatedly to get juices inside?

The juices are already inside...stabbing usually lets the juice out. And you even drained it halfway through?

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
You only seasoned with pepper? Da fuck. Mix garlic, pepper, salt, oregano, olive oil, and the secret... get some MSG seasoning. As a Latino, i am partial to Sazón Accent (Goya with achiote is what I use) with some color in it. Mix that shit up and marinade your turkey at least a day. Your mind will melt.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I only eat turkey like 2 times a year (not counting lunchmeat), so it's mostly just eat it out of tradition. Ours this year was very juicy though.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand. You stabbed it repeatedly to get juices inside?

The juices are already inside...stabbing usually lets the juice out. And you even drained it halfway through?

I just drained the pan to rebaste (is that a word?) it. I was basically afraid if it being underseasoned and couldn't get the skin off cleanly to season under it like I was told. Since I was baking it covered until the very end, it didn't dry out at all which thankfully stayed true. Im always disappointed how everything after that amazing first skin layer tastes and I think went overboard.

Looking back I shouldn't have wasted all that juice on a gravy batch.

Oct 28, 2017
I did an injection for the first time this year. I injected the bird with a mix of butter, beer, hot honey, and Cajun seasoning. I then put a bbq rub on the outside and threw it on the smoker. Smoked it until 150 then threw it on my grill which was at 400 in order to get the skin edible. The bird was amazing, the best I've done.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of turkey is the gravy. It just offers a flavor chicken can't.

But yeah, the meat itself is just tougher and drier overall, even with good prep.

My preference is a bone in ham, but I love making turkey just so I can enjoy turkey and rice soup with the stock I make from the carcass.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
This was my first Thanksgiving without turkey, and I don't miss it anywhere as much as I thought I would. I got my stuffing and pumpkin pie, fuck everything else.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always thought turkey meat is for beginners and is only good on sandwiches (because sauce and sides). By itself? Eh...

Duck/goose >>> chicken >>> turkey

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I only like the dark meat anyway.

Turkey legs all day. The rest of you can have the breast.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I just drained the pan to rebaste (is that a word?) it. I was basically afraid if it being underseasoned and couldn't get the skin off cleanly to season under it like I was told. Since I was baking it covered until the very end, it didn't dry out at all which thankfully stayed true. Im always disappointed how everything after that amazing first skin layer tastes and I think went overboard.

Looking back I shouldn't have wasted all that juice on a gravy batch.

It really shouldn't dry out as long as you don't overcook it. And, imo, you wanna keep those juices in...I won't even cut the turkey until it's been out of the oven for 30 min. I keep mine pretty simple, just lots and lots of butter, salt and pepper, and that's it. Glad it worked out for you, though!

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Frankly, turkey is for the birds.

I prefer a A5 wagyu sirloin cut.

5850-650px.jpg