• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
#blogrant #butwhy

So, nearing the end of RDR2 (Xbox One X), the story of which I am REALLY enjoying (gameplay, not so much), and I am literally (yes, literally) unable to finish the game because it immediately crashes upon loading the playable character into the screen. My Xbox then shuts itself off after a minute or so. It happens every single time now. I reinstalled the game...no luck. From what I have researched on AskJeeves, it seems like I might have a corrupted save file (my first ever). Every other game I play works just fine.

All 50 hours played so far...wasted. RIP. I guess I will just watch the rest on youtube, because I am not putting myself through that clunkiness again for 50+ hours.

Again, it fucking sucks, and this should not even be a thing.

Oh well. Back to the Outer Wilds again for now.

To all of my comrades who have been through something similar, I will pour out a glass of almond milk for you this morning as I am preparing my oatmeal.
To everyone who is still a corrupted save file virgin, good luck.

EDIT: FIXED. Please give u/SOR5 all of your karma and money.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My first corrupted save file was KH1. I asked my dad if he knew what to do since I was in like the 3rd grade and had no concept of this and he ended up deleting it to see if that would fix it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My first corrupted save file was Pokemon Soul Silver. I had just captured a shiny Lugia and I saved my game after the fight...and my handheld's battery died while I was saving.

When I turned the game back on my save was corrupted and I lost everything. Including my event Mew that I had used for the entire game up to that point.

I took the game out of my DS, brought it to GameStop and sold it immediately. I couldn't even bear to look at it.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Yeah I couldn't return after 50hrs. That would be it for me. I loved RDR2 but man was it long. Even just doing main story content triples the length of most games released.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
My first corrupted save file was Pokemon Soul Silver. I had just captured a shiny Lugia and I saved my game after the fight...and my handheld's battery died while I was saving.

When I turned the game back on my save was corrupted and I lost everything. Including my event Mew that I had used for the entire game up to that point.

I took the game out of my DS, brought it to GameStop and sold it immediately. I couldn't even bear to look at it.
Don't the DS games have a weird hidden backup function that revert to a previous save when that happens?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't sound like a corrupted save. Did you try loading into the online?

I had a similar issue on GTAV PC.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Man I wouldnt want that to happen. Sucks.
Also - I didnt know anyone used Askjeeves these days :p

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Were you manually saving your game or just using auto save? If you manually saved just start a new game and then try to load your old game.

Jul 4, 2018
Clear your locally saved games on the Xbox (it's in settings then storage) then download your save again

Had a dodgy save file and this helped.

OP
OP
SmittyWerbenManJensen

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Were you manually saving your game or just using auto save? If you manually saved just start a new game and then try to load your old game.
Both (I think). My most recent save would have been an auto save. I guess I should just try this out (I have nothing left to lose at this point). I also don't know how the whole cloud save system works, so if someone could help me out with that, I'd appreciate it/love you forever.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Hey. Could you please expand on this? From what I can tell, I cannot access the "load game" screen without hitting the start button when the game loads, and my game freezes before I can even do this
I forgot RDR2 didn't have a main menu with options. Dunno how I did it but RDR2 gave me a "this savefile is corrupted" message and let me load another one. PS4 tho

OP
OP
SmittyWerbenManJensen

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
I forgot RDR2 didn't have a main menu with options. Dunno how I did it but RDR2 gave me a "this savefile is corrupted" message and let me load another one. PS4 tho
Hmm. I am gonna try some of the other suggestions in this thread. If I can somehow salvage this save and finish the game, I am going to throw a party (for myself/by myself, of course).

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
i've had a few saves corrupt over the years the first and worst i can think of is one of these:
8x0Gd7Z.jpg

a 4 in 1 ps1 memory card,3 pages were full and it just randomly wiped itself.gutted.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Does the Xbox have game save granularity like the PS4?

More specifically, can you upload specific save files (whether cloud or external HDD) on Xbox? I haven't seen any menu options like that, so it would be good to know.