• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This thread is about the bolded last parts, but notably is about more than one game, so please don't just read the anecdote and miss the grander discussion and mention of other games deeper in the text. That said - you are welcome to detail the issues of a particular release if it comes up.

I just bought my third copy of Kingdom Come: Deliverance...

I backed it on Kickstarter when it was announced years ago at a level to get me the collector's Edition. I then decided on the eventual launch day that discs are disgusting and sticking to my digital only policy, I bought a PS4 Pro digital copy.

I played the game for dozens of hours, utterly shocked at some of the pleasantness of the realism in the world design.

I hit a game-breaking main quest bug and stopped playing to wait for a fix. Seasons went by and they patched it, but I wasn't ready to go back. And I since have gotten an Xbox One X as well. Lo and behold, the game runs even higher res on X. I add it to my wishlist for later purchase.

I then find out from Resetera last year that the creator of the studio and game is a racist. Ok, disgusting. I feel disappointed and see the game in a different white light. The discussion reminds me of the game's whiteness as I think back, but I don't fall deep into the arguments, I just know the creator is GamerGate hell and move on for a while. After all, I stopped playing anyway.

Fast forward to this week, and a couple new threads about the game are bubbling. One about the enjoyability of the game being high, and another about a video showcasing the patch improvements. I also learn in the latter thread that the game will be discounted on X this week. I largely don't think twice about it and buy the game again on Monday.

I think to myself then, darn. The creator sucks, but maybe like The Witcher 3 which absolutely sucks from its diversity perspective - like seriously sucks - things could go right for a bigger budget follow up project! Like how CyberPunk 2077 aims to be wildly diverse (we will see about those fucking taxi stereotypes though). So I admit, I get some hype from the idea I supported the sequel and it may be forced to do better after the backlash the creator got for his views.

Now we arrive at today, and I get pointed to this great review that very fairly questions the game itself beyond just the creator controversy by Eurogamer writer Robert Purchese: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-20-kingdom-come-deliverance-review

The final few paragraphs bring up an argument that had apparently been had on the internet about why the game itself excluded minorities in its primary threads of story, or rather, almost entirely excludes minorities. Some argued history, but others point out there are many ways they could have told a story that also positively represents minorities - tales of merchants, kings, travelers, recovering soldiers, and more. The possibilities for why you might have seen a minority spend time in Europe at this time are rather endless. And that's just in a historical game! The excuses for accuracy fly out the window when you examine a game with no accuracy to uphold whatsoever like the fantasy of The Witcher 3.

The review rather smartly notes historians actually don't have consensus on what every minority who reached Europe did and for how long, be them noble or otherwise. And the game seems satisfied and romantically gazing at its version of historical fiction without any supporting or starring minorities.

And at this point, I just don't support that intentionally. I couldn't get behind The Elder Scrolls 6 picking to tell a story of a time when say Imperials had yet to have any migrants in their land and so the game was strictly pale imperials. I don't agree with excuses for The Order having werewolves but seeing people online argue only whites make sense as order members. I am replaying Witcher 3 right now and the poor diversity stands out.

And now that I've passed the point of no return, I can't help but feel troubled by my purchase.

Now I'm not saying they should have quotas, main character requirements in all games, or bad stories - I'm saying it's easy to make good diverse ones and you don't need to explain minorities existing in your game. Sure, a game like The Witcher 3 stands out to some of us for a lack of diversity - but live and let live when it comes to individual titles. But there's a trend of when it gets brought up for defenders to explain why you SHOULDN'T have minorities. That shouldn't happen and doesn't hold up. Minorities can exist, though they don't have to, in almost any story. It is actually weird to me to not see minorities nowadays, be them racial, religious, sexual orientation, and more.

TLDR: Some games won't have diversity, but trying to explain it as needing to be that way is poorly thought out. Diversity can exist in just about any story - nobody is asking for quotas or poor writing or shoehorning. Bring on the diversity, don't act like minorities need to be explained to exist in a story or setting, and don't make excuses for lack of diversity - they don't hold water.

In 2019, do you feel as I do about making excuses to exclude minorities as some people do online? Have you bought games from studios you don't want to support, and how did you justify it? Or hell, any games you didn't want to support but bought because it came from a studio you loved?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Most of those times just sounds like "you have spend A LOT of time and sweat to choose a VERY specific place in history that does not have brown people"

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In 2019, do you feel as I do about making excuses to exclude minorities as some people do online?

Yes.

And I've felt a similar way about fantasy fiction (novels) recently. Even if skin color is not always explicit, too often there's an undercurrent of heroic Western Europe-ish characters pitted against barbaric African-ish or vile Middle Eastern-ish characters and all the tropes that come with them.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
With Kingdom Come didn't they play the historical accuracy card and then be told there were some minorities in that period and they just dismissed it?

In that situation it's pretty obvious they clearly just didn't want diversity in the game, which is disappointing

I'm not opposed to wanting to make any media based on historical events and have it be historically accurate, but when that's used as a deliberate attempt to avoid diversity, or when there is actually diversity in those situations but it's just ignored because reasons, then I take issue with that

It annoys me more in fantasy media where people say it's based on Nordic traditions or something like that as an excuse, so they can suspend their disbelief for dragons and magic but not for Black or Asian or Indian characters, as those would clearly be completely unbelievable

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
With Kingdom Come didn't they play the historical accuracy card and then be told there were some minorities in that period and they just dismissed it?

In that situation it's pretty obvious they clearly just didn't want diversity in the game, which is disappointing

I'm not opposed to wanting to make any media based on historical events and have it be historically accurate, but when that's used as a deliberate attempt to avoid diversity, or when there is actually diversity in those situations but it's just ignored because reasons, then I take issue with that

It annoys me more in fantasy media where people say it's based on Nordic traditions or something like that as an excuse, so they can suspend their disbelief for dragons and magic but not for Black or Asian or Indian characters, as those would clearly be completely unbelievable
Yes, that's what I understand now. The eurogamer article says the Warhorse team defended the exclusion of minorities despite no consensus on an absence of them historically.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Having to "thoroughly explain" why a game goes out of its way to not include any people of color is just code for the developer saying, "I/We hate all dark skin people."

Jul 20, 2018
I fully agree with you. The stubbornly intentional lack of diversity is one of the reasons I didn't buy Kingdom Come, despite having some interest in it at the time.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Some people just want their white utopia fantasy. It's never existed, and never will, so when you see someone play the "historically accurate" card to explain lack of minorities, just know that when you play the game you are partaking in that guy's white utopian fantasy

Nov 17, 2017
Having to "thoroughly explain" why a game goes out of its way to not include any people of color is just code for the developer saying, "I/We hate all dark skin people."
Whenever people actually make a point to say "It's this time and place so there are no brown people" all I can think is that they really did try to find their perfect white paradise for their story/game/whatever even when the historical accuracy is not accurate.

Some people just want their white utopia fantasy. It's never existed, and never will, so when you see someone play the "historically accurate" card to explain lack of minorities, just know that when you play the game you are partaking in that guy's white utopian fantasy
Ok basically exactly what I wanted to say haha

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I never really get the excuse of "historical accuracy". Europe is flanked on all sides by ethnic diversity. Unless trade and exploration was non-existent (it wasn't), there is no way there isn't diversity. Spain itself was part of a caliphate the extended into north-west africa. there is zero chance there wasn't ethnic diversity. Especially given how Ancient Rome would spread its forces around its' empire to put down rebellions and capture land.

But, this just goes to show that victors indeed write history, and now everyone is warped by a very narrow picture of how society operated.

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me, I just like to enjoy the game.
Like, the less I know about the devs theare better.
OP Is a good example but it's just one dev.
Perhaps they should just not say anything.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
But Witcher 3 has lore and in Hearts of Stone you have characters from Ofir, which is a land based around middle-eastern cultures.. and Witcher 3 takes place in Redania, which is a land based on medieval Poland and most countries in the Witcher world that have POC characters don't want to do anything with the Northern countries and their wars.. just like Northern countries and lands in A Song of Ice and Fire mostly consist of white people
I mean, could they add some merchants from Zerrikania into the main game? Yeah, but they didn't but instead they put Ofieri characters into the expansion pack

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Games as this and the Witcher 3 are made in European countries where people are mostly white - and they want their games white-ish.

It's an unfortunate reality you need to cope with. And it will probably won't change - at least not in these sorts of RPG fantasy games.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Knowing who the creator is, it seems obvious they tried as hard as possible to pick a setting they could hide behind, hand waving still-apparent realities that didn't suit their whitewashed vision.

It isn't just its (lack of) ethnic diversity that's problematic, either. LGBT absence is conveniently justified by its illegality in-setting, but anyone with two brain cells could tell you there are ways to portray it sympathetically despite that, because LGBT people didn't stop existing.

Then there's the whole "Manly Odour" / "Musk of Irresistability" bullshit, as if it hadn't already been firmly established that the game was made by unkempt straight white male nerds whose idyllic world (Kingdom Come) wouldn't include anyone not like them, whose poor hygiene would magically seduce bodacious babes (rather than repel normy women).

Don't play alt right paradise.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I'm not surprised, KCD is based in a small portion of Czech Republic and Czech Republic is totally white nowadays, i went to Prague 3 years ago for 1 week and i saw maybe 3-4 non-white people. Same goes to other eastern europe games like Metro Exodus and The Witcher 3.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most of those times just sounds like "you have spend A LOT of time and sweat to choose a VERY specific place in history that does not have brown people"

This is the thing, most creators really don't have to put much effort into overlooking any kind of inclusion of a non-whites through history, the general public has been fed a lot of mis-information over centuries of time which has given away to conditioning the general public accepting through and through that everything/every experience of value throughout history can easily be associated with CIS white people exclusively...which is something that should be questioned without anyone offering an objection but there's always a cacophony of offended objections with no research, no common sense questioning, no acceptance of the active role "appropriation" has taken not only in the understanding of events as they happened over time, but also in the telling and retelling of those events over time dispersed to millions...but that's the power of brainwashing.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'm curious how this conversation would be if they didn't try to justify it with flimsy/stupid "historical accuracy" nonsense. Would the opinion of it change if they simply didn't do it and left it at that?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how this conversation would be if they didn't try to justify it with flimsy/stupid "historical accuracy" nonsense. Would the opinion of it change if they simply didn't do it and left it at that?

It's still made by an alt right clown, and has various in-game signifiers that aren't just a group's conspicuous absence, so reasonable people could still easily infer their motives.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

There is no "left it at that".
People WILL ask why is your game showing a fantastical world without the diversity of our world.
And you would end up with shit like "why your perfect world does not have black people?" "because it is a perfect world"

which would make much easier to explain why the devs are assholes =P

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
There is no "left it at that".
People WILL ask why is your game showing a fantastical world without the diversity of our world.
And you would end up with shit like "why your perfect world does not have black people?" "because it is a perfect world"

which would make much easier to explain why the devs are assholes =P
The "left it at that" is literally just that they didn't try to explain it away. As in, they didn't respond. But this is all a fair point.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, absolutely. Fuck that noise. It's a shame too, as Kingdom looks exactly up my alley.

I'll have to pick it up from g2a eventually and prevent the shithead developer from getting any of my money.

trippyturtle

Mar 11, 2019
I don't see a problem in pointing out KK:D or Witcher 3 as an example of "Isn't the lack of diversity weird? Future games should be more diverse."

If my friends are thinking of buying KK:D, will I try to dissuade them because the developer said some controversial statements? Sure, that's my prerogative. But I also believe the gameplay is worth experiencing, isolated from talk of racism, because of how immersive & unique it is.

Ultimately, I can separate the game from its developers when playing it. It doesn't mean that I agree with the developer's views.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm not surprised, KCD is based in a small portion of Czech Republic and Czech Republic is totally white nowadays, i went to Prague 3 years ago for 1 week and i saw maybe 3-4 non-white people. Same goes to other eastern europe games like Metro Exodus and The Witcher 3.

According to Wikipedia 98.6% of Poland is native European (aka "white") by the way. Just a number to better put things into prospective considering that TW3 has been cited in a few posts already.

The average in Europe in general is just a bit lower I think, about 90% more or less.

Oct 27, 2017
The game is mostly white for the same reason many JRPGs are all Asian. It doesn't mean that the developers "hate" any particular race.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Ultimately, I can separate the game from its developers when playing it. It doesn't mean that I agree with the developer's views.
I got this question in a PM once when talking about Armikrog being interesting, as I liked the 2 Neverhood games. Then it was brought up about TenNapel and I read about the whole comicsgate thing.

I honestly have a hard time keeping up with what some developers and publishers do unless it ends up all over the place, though.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This nailed it, I can separate a bad apple from a bunch (one racist guy from a team) and give a game a pass but if that hateful idea permeates into the product then fuck that.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of minorities and diversity. I've yet to play the game myself, but it's actually one of the main reason I want to play KCD. I'm very interested in the Bohemian / medieval Czech setting without magical mumbo jumbo. Aren't czech people rare enough within gaming medium? I'm probably biased myself being slav and all, but I feel like eastern europe people deserve heavily focused games on just/mostly their nations. I don't think they are represented well or enough as well, aside from token stereotypical thuggish dudes that are written as typical Russians speaking in heavy Russian accents.

From my (heavily biased I guess) point of view, KCD looks like an important game that brings variety to the genre and medium by showcasing a rare period/setting/nation as its focus.

Last edited:

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just curious, why would you buy KCD three times when you already know what the game is and will be as you're playing it?

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
I'm genuinely confused by the inclusion of The Order as a game that excludes minorities. The Good Side is definitely nonwhite (and nonwerewolf for that matter).

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Games as this and the Witcher 3 are made in European countries where people are mostly white - and they want their games white-ish.

It's an unfortunate reality you need to cope with. And it will probably won't change - at least not in these sorts of RPG fantasy games.
Second part of that first statement seems like a load of horse shit. You're telling me that the people of say Norway DEMAND whites only in video games or else they won't buy it? That seems like a huge generalization.

The game is mostly white for the same reason many JRPGs are all Asian. It doesn't mean that the developers "hate" any particular race.
And what pray tell is that reason?

Last edited:

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
I totally agree with your take that the "its historically accurate" card is a delusional revisionist worldview, and an excuse to indulge in a white/male centric fantasy. They made that choice.

Still, I don't think boycotting games is a consumer's responsibility and it doesn't tend to trouble me. If a game is lacking in diversity, I see that as a negative to my own individual enjoyment so its already going to be less appealing to me than a game with interesting and diverse representation and points of view. We should all feel like we have personal agenda against white supremacy, even if we're white. It's not just some selfless virtue, it affects me because i want to live in a stronger, more truthful and less xenophobic world.

I think it's more important to see politics in everything and be more critical of the substance and subtext of stuff we do enjoy and consume, and don't forget to listen to other people's complaints and points of view. Else people just end up arguing over stuff like whether or not God of War having dead wife tropes is GOOD ACTUALLY because otherwise they fear it gets put in the Bad Game Bucket. Let problematic faves be problematic faves. If a realisation you didn't notice at first taints your enjoyment of a game, I think that is fine. If (some other factor) still makes you enjoy it a lot, that's fine too.

I feel much more responsible as a developer rather than a consumer that I do what I can to not make our games alienating, inaccessible or misrepresentative of reality in the first place. I don't have a lot of final say, but I try!

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I'm genuinely confused by the inclusion of The Order as a game that excludes minorities. The Good Side is definitely nonwhite (and nonwerewolf for that matter).
This doesn't make sense to me either, one of the major themes that the game presents is that the old, stuffy, white imperialist order is rotten from the inside out and the minority "terrorist group" they've been combating are actually the ones on the side of humanity.

SmOukycze

Banned
Mar 14, 2019
As a Czech guy i would like to shed some light into this. First of all Daniel Vavra and Warhorse studios developers are not racist. Magazines and websites completly twisted Daniel´s words. And it was stated from the beginning, that this game will be historically acurate as it can be, while still being enjoyable as a game. Also it was proven by many Czech historians that there were no traces of afroamericans citizens in Bohemia in that century. In one interview for czech gaming website, Daniel said, that he consuleted with many historians, even with a historian from Charles University and they all came to the same conclusion and that was that there are no traces of afroamericans or other minorities in Sazava in that exact time period.

And don´t tell me that historians from other countries, know history of my country better than our historians. They have archives and many diaries, letters, maps, paintings and so on from that century. And even if by some miracle there was a small chance to see some minorities, they really wouldn´t be in a small part of Bohemia like Sazava, where the game is placed. The highest chance to actually see someone else than white people in that century you would need to go to Prague and even then it wouldnt be guaranteed. I live in a second biggest city in the south of the Czech Republic, with maybe like 40 000 people and in almost 26 years i have met here only 5 afroamericans. In Czech Republic the major minorites are gypsies, ukranians, russians, polish people, vietnamese, germans and in the last place you would find afroamericans. Even nowdays in Prague you hardly see any afroamericans.

Also we (Czech people) really hate how we are portrayed in movies and games like we are russians. We are not! We speak Czech and we definetly dont have that fake russian-english accent or whatever that is. For example Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a slap in the face for us. First of all Prague doesn´t look like Prague. Czech citizens are using russians accent instead of czech accent. Also signs, street names and items in stores are transleted via google translator and they don´t even make sense. It is really hard for us, because we are minority in the Europe and no one actually cares who we are or how we speak. So for everyone in the film or game industry, we are just Russians, because why would you even bother to actually research something about us, when you can just make us russians and be done with it.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to not include a diverse group of people in fantasy role playing games. The Kingdom Come:Deliverance is a bit different since the evidence I saw of non-slavs in Bohemia during this time period were flimsy. The possibility of one to ten non-slav merchants doesn't suddenly mean a 1/10th or more of the population was non-slav. The biggest minority group would have been Jews which I heard weren't exactly as numerous in the game as realistically as they should have been.

I'd find it incredibly weird to include a bunch of white people in a game about the Mali Empire.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
As a Czech guy i would like to shed some light into this. First of all Daniel Vavra and Warhorse studios developers are not racist. Magazines and websites completly twisted Daniel´s words. And it was stated from the beginning, that this game will be historically acurate as it can be, while still being enjoyable as a game.

Nope they're racist, because if it was historically accurate there would be people who aren't white in it.

Protip defending nazis makes you look bad.

Does the game have any racial propaganda? Does the game have an agenda? If no, then I personally play the game. If the game and gameplay itself are racist, yeah, then fuck no.
Of course it has an agenda. It's meant to present a "realistic" world where minorities don't exist because the nazi creators hate minorites.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope they're racist, because if it was historically accurate there would be people who aren't white in it.

I imagine this was done to death in the threads discussing it at the time, but do you have any links to historical materials backing that up? That one could realistically expect to encounter non-whites in medieval Bohemia in 1403?

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
kingdom come definitely seems way more white supremecist alt right shithead then the regular game that just totally falls down on diversity. Its extremely easy to find varva repeating barely veiled alt right talking points and proudly representing the ideology.

That said, your one purchase isn't going to move the needle of social change in any way, so imo you shouldnt let yourself feel a lot of guilt over this.

it's reasonable not to want to play the game anymore though, now that your eyes are opened to the worldview that informed every bit of it.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
To be honest I would've been more surprised if there were minorities in KCD considering the location and scale of the game. For Witcher 3, I agree that the lack of minorities was not a good look, however I totally disagree about KCD. Though it's a pity Roma and Jewish people weren't represented more.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a New Zealand studio made a game set in a secluded area of New Zealand pre-Colonization, I wonder if people would be upset about the lack of non-indigenous characters.

SmOukycze

Banned
Mar 14, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Rationalizing Racism; Inflammatory False Equivalence; Account in Junior Phase

Protip defending nazis makes you look bad..

Do you realize that Daniel Vavra made first Mafia? And you know what? That game was placed in fictional American city between years 1930 and 1951 and surprise! there were afroamericans. He even worked on Mafia 2 and guess what, there were afroamericans too and even asians. Just wow right?

Do you know that this game doesn´t even have Czech voice over, even though it is a historical game about Czech? i can also call this bs and be angry, because why would people in Bohemia spoke English,that doesn´t make sense. But hey they didn´t have money and Czech voice actors sucks and want too much money for it

Also you wanna say, that you know more about how Bohemia looked like in 1403 than Czech historians? Especially when you know nothing about my country? Really? This game is not a fantasy genre. It´s a historical game and developers did everything they could to find any trace of minorities in Sazava in 1403. They discussed it with many historians and the result was the same. They didn´t find any record of afroamericans in that time period. Could they have added them? Ofcourse they could, but they wanted to be as much accurate as it can be to the history of my country. I understand that it can be frustrating, but that doesn´t mean that they are trying white wash this game. And just because they decided to prefer historical accuracy over checking boxes to please everyone doesn´t mean that they are racist.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Also you wanna say, that you know more about how Bohemia looked like in 1403 than Czech historians?
I absolutely know more about how Bohemia looked like in 1403 than whatever racist "historians" who's lies you've listened to. The idea that 15th century Europe was filled only with white people is laughable.