• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Has anyone had a similar experience? -- little cuts formed at the corners of my mouth and my lips get pretty scaly in the morning.

I slathered coconut oil on it for a couple days, seems to be spreading to the lower lip now.

Lyon

Jun 5, 2019
User Warned: Inappropriate medical advice
Has anyone had a similar experience? -- little cuts formed at the corners of my mouth and my lips get pretty scaly in the morning.

I slathered coconut oil on it for a couple days, seems to be spreading to the lower lip now.

Mod edit: Inappropriate content removed

So...go see a doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You sure they're not just hella dry?

Get some Vaseline instead of weak ass chapstick.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
D:

While seeing a doctor is probably a better option than consulting ERA, could this just be dry lips? I apply some petroleum jelly before bed when I get bad dryness and cracking

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like chapped lips, but I'm not a medical professional. Medicated blistex lip balm usually does the trick for mine.

Goldfishking

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i've heard of a few people having this problem. I wouldn't worry too much about it being something worse like someone else mentioned but obviously your doctor will be able to help more than we can.

Solution is proper skincare. Make sure not to wear make up under your mask and try not to get too sweaty or warm under there.
Also making sure to wash your face and mask thoroughly after use.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Could be a small fungal infection from heat, moisutre, and general friction felt from the mask (or even just moving the muscles a lot because of eating/talking). Anti-fungal creams are real and helpful, but you should definitely talk to a doctor if it's bad or to make sure it's diagnosed correctly.

OP
OP
mikhailguy

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
It's possible you're just drying your lips out, but yeah, go to a doctor.

From what I've read - the combination of dry lips and the warm, moist environment that the mask creates can cause it. It did occur after a night of drinking, so I assume that they were just ultra dry and got infected. It isn't painful and thankfully doesn't have a detectable odor.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
From what I've read - the combination of dry lips and the warm, moist environment that the mask creates can cause it. It did occur after a night of drinking, so I assume that they were just ultra dry and got infected. It isn't painful and thankfully doesn't have a detectable odor.
If it was after a night of drinking, you may just be hella dehyrdrated. Drink lots of water, use some vaseline, see if it improves.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
uhh that won't happen because of a mask lol. Unless it's some irritant material, and the mask is too close to your face so it keeps rubbing and scratching at edge of your mouth.

OP
OP
mikhailguy

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
uhh that won't happen because of a mask lol. Unless it's some irritant material, and the mask is too close to your face so it keeps rubbing and scratching at edge of your mouth.

it's apparently the warmth and the moisture that a mask traps that is part of the issue. not trying to start a conspiracy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like chapped lips, not a yeast infection, which is obviously common this time of year as the air gets dry. Get a tube of aquafor and apply liberally every 1-2 hours to the edges and your lips. A lot of people are having skin breakouts, acne, etc from wearing a mask all day and you could have developed a zit/acne at the corners of your mouth (I used ot get them as a kid), which cracks, dries out.

A yeast infection would be pretty extreme and be difficult to form on an exposed part of your body like your lips. Could be some bacterial infection like oral thrush or something similar which spreads but usually yeast infections, oral thrush, etc don't really do well on exposed areas even with a mask. If so, a topical antibiotic will kick it right out and should be cheap, but I'd try aquafor first. You can find aquafor at any CVS, WalGreens, etc... I have pretty horribly chapped lips every Winter and it just works better for me than the other lip balms and salves.

Coconut oil might be bad for this because it'll dry your lips out. Coconut oil works on other sorts of infections and rashes by drying the skin out and removing oils from your skin (which is why coconut oil, tea tree oils, and other drying agents can sometimes be used to help athlete's foot or other bacterial infections that feed on oils/sweat/etc), but you actually want those on your lips because it's a moist environment I wouldn't use it.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017

Listen. Don't moisten it more. It'll only make it worse or seemingly repair. Get antifungal hydrocortisone and apply to affected area. Should work within a day or even hours. Keep applying for a week.

I had this problem years ago. Tried every lip balm there is but it just came back or never went away. Visited a doctor eventually and he was like get this cream. And it worked.

It's because of humidity and how your corner of lips is.

OP
OP
mikhailguy

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Do you change your masks our regularly? If you use a reusable one, do you wash it often?

I use the standard disposable blue ones -- change em out maybe every 4 or 5 days. It's been months of wearing them with no issue.

Sounds like chapped lips, not a yeast infection, which is obviously common this time of year as the air gets dry.

A year infection would be pretty extreme and be difficult to form on an exposed part of your body like your lips.

Coconut oil might be bad for this because it'll dry your lips out. Coconut oil works on other sorts of infections and rashes by drying the skin out and removing oils from your skin (which is why coconut oil, tea tree oils, and other drying agents can sometimes be used to help athlete's foot or other bacterial infections that feed on oils/sweat/etc), but you actually want those on your lips because it's a moist environment I wouldn't use it.

- I do live in South Florida, so dry air is likely not the issue.

- They are not exposed for more like a third of the day, because of my job (wearing a mask for 8 or 9 hrs)

- I've heard that coconut oil has potential anti-fungal properties, so that's why I used. I have noticed that it either absorbs quickly or it is drying the skin out. I will avoid it -- thanks

OP
OP
mikhailguy

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Listen. Don't moisten it more. It'll only make it worse or seemingly repair. Get antifungal hydrocortisone and apply to affected area. Should work within a day or even hours. Keep applying for a week.

I had this problem years ago. Tried every lip balm there is but it just came back or never went away. Visited a doctor eventually and he was like get this cream. And it worked.

It's because of humidity and how your corner of lips is.

I was going to the drug store after work to pick up some anti-fungal -- do you recall which one you used? And yeah, some saliva does gather at the corners of my lips with the mask on especially.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Go see a doctor.

I remember when coconut oil was a big thing, touted as a miracle cure for all sorts of things. Turns out it's mostly ineffective.

Seriously, go see a doctor. At the very least they'll give you some good advice, and if it turns out to be something more serious they can arrange for testing.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
I've been wearing (disposable) masks for 5-12 hours a day since 2009. Never heard of mask reactions from any of my colleagues. May need to choose a more lightweight mask that doesn't hold onto moisture as much.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
I figured you may not have been in the states, I'll see what anti-fungal ingredients they have here. Thanks for the information.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's what you think it is. Humidity and cuts on the corner of your lips kinda gives it away or at least are a big hint.

It's all about how the corners of your lips are. It might get worse when you age as your face (skin) starts to lop.

We're so much full of bacteria and small life that it's no wonder the mask can act as an incubator. If there's something going on with your tongue or mouth otherwise, and you see changes, then go see a doctor.

Lets hope the cream is the key. If not, I'm sorry for misleading. But ask the pharmacist for more info. There are so many drug options available.

Good luck.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
The fancy term for this is cheilitis (it just means inflammation of the the lips). There are many causes for this. The most common is dry chapped lips but as you suggested, a superimposed infection (either bacterial or fungal) can occur. I'm assuming you aren't seeing any fluid filled bumps or blisters, right? I'm also assuming you haven't started any new medications/supplements, used new facial products (soaps, shaving creams,), etc? If you have, try stopping those for a week or so (if medically safe depending on the medication -- check with your doctor first in case they prefer you switch meds!) and see if that helps.

If not, I would follow these steps:

Lip balm or emollient for a week (Aquaphor works well). The trick to this is make sure your lips are completely blotted dry of any saliva or other liquid before applying. Otherwise you are just trapping moisture in there, which is breeding grounds for infection.

If that doesn't work, try a topical antifungal for a week (Lotrimin is ok).

If that doesn't work, try a topical antibacterial for a week (mupirocin works best, but may not be over the counter, so use Neosporin). If you use Neosporin and it starts to get worse fast, stop, because patients can develop an allergic reaction to Neosporin. Don't put on more Neosporin thinking you aren't using enough!

Lastly, try a topical over-the-counter steroid (hydrocortisone) for 1-2 weeks.

If none of that works, see the dermatologist. Also, don't worry. This isn't dangerous. Just annoying.

You can avoid this long drawn out process by seeing a dermatologist now who will scrape some of the dead skin off the surface of your lips and look for fungus right in the office. If they don't see any, they will recommend moisturizer and steroid cream right away and you should be good to go.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
mikhailguy

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I've been wearing (disposable) masks for 5-12 hours a day since 2009. Never heard of mask reactions from any of my colleagues. May need to choose a more lightweight mask that doesn't hold onto moisture as much.

Yeah, it was never a problem for the majority of the quarantine months. I'm assuming it's the combination of being dehydrated a bit after a night of drinking and the moist environment from the mask.

Lets hope the cream is the key. If not, I'm sorry for misleading. But ask the pharmacist for more info. There are so many drug options available.
Good luck.

Thanks again, I may or may not follow up with the results of the cream.

The fancy term for this is cheilitis (it just means inflammation of the the lips). There are many causes for this. The most common is dry chapped lips but as you suggested, a superimposed infection (either bacterial or fungal) can occur. I'm assuming you aren't seeing any fluid filled bumps or blisters, right? I'm also assuming you haven't started any new medications/supplements, used new facial products (soaps, shaving creams,), etc? If you have, try stopping those for a week or so (if medically safe depending on the medication -- check with your doctor first!) and see if that helps.

Hope that helps.

No new meds/suppliments/facial products.

I just read elsewhere that Lotrimin is an option. Going with that first -- this is the athlete's foot ointment, correct?

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I'm in a different country. But I tried checking and in my case I think the secret ingredient was this:

en.m.wikipedia.org

Chlorhexidine - Wikipedia

be careful with any mouth washes with this in it. i used one earlier this year and had a really severe allergic reaction which made ulcers form all over my mouth (i had more than 10 ulcers on my gums, tongue, inner cheeks - it was awful).

go to a doctor or pharmacist if you can, oral thrush sucks.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
No, and I wear a mask 8-10 hours a day at work, and I'm outside in the heat for a good chunk of it.

I have to wear latex gloves all day too, and I've had more problems with my skin peeling on my hands because they're damp all day long.

OP
OP
mikhailguy

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
be careful with any mouth washes with this in it. i used one earlier this year and had a really severe allergic reaction which made ulcers form all over my mouth (i had more than 10 ulcers on my gums, tongue, inner cheeks - it was awful).

go to a doctor or pharmacist if you can, oral thrush sucks.

It's relegated to my lips as far as I know. Sounds like a nightmare for you though

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017
I use the standard disposable blue ones -- change em out maybe every 4 or 5 days. It's been months of wearing them with no issue.

This seems like it could be a culprit. Like as I understood it any kind of mask is kind of one-use before it should be washed or disinfected via some sort of method or disposed of in the case of the blue ones. Like for these exact kind of reasons.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate it. The ointment is on the lips. I'm assuming that I'm going to be ingesting some of the residue when drinking water/eating -- is this a problem?
Nope. In fact, clotrimazole also comes in an oral tablet/lozenge form for patients with thrush. You should be good. Just keep sure to keep the lips moist in between applications. Ointments tend to be better in this regard than creams, but having lip balm/vaseline/Aquaphor around will help with that as well. Hopefully you will be better in a week or so. Let us know how it goes!

Many

Sep 17, 2018
I used mask for work in food processing companies for around 8 h at day, 6 days at week, in high humid hot conditions and that never happened to anyone. Are you sure it's not herpes?
EDIT: oh ok, you used the same for days, that's the problem, use 1 per day (or even more). Fungal infection it's a possibility in this scenenario if it itch. Try miconazole.

OP
OP
mikhailguy

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Nope. In fact, clotrimazole also comes in an oral tablet/lozenge form for patients with thrush. You should be good. Just keep sure to keep the lips moist in between applications. Ointments tend to be better in this regard than creams, but having lip balm/vaseline/Aquaphor around will help with that as well. Hopefully you will be better in a week or so. Let us know how it goes!

Will do. Your writing indicates some sort of medical degree. Thanks for the free info and your time.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo

I get those from my invisalign. Its called acute cheilitis. I had to go to a dermotologist for special medicine cause over the counter shit just ain't strong enough. As soon as I showed them my lips they instantly knew what it is. It goes away after 3-4 days of ointment.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I was going to the drug store after work to pick up some anti-fungal -- do you recall which one you used? And yeah, some saliva does gather at the corners of my lips with the mask on especially.
I wouldn't suggest self diagnosing a fungal infection! A yeast infection on your lips would be highly unusual. Go and see a Dr. The infection could be an indication that you are immunocompromised (e.g HIV). It is important to get this checked out as you will be at much greater risk of covid if you are, and if it is something serious you need to start treatment.

Lyon

Jun 5, 2019
Isnt this a bit much or am I reckless? Maybe I dont know enough.

Once again, not medical advice, but it's coming straight from a MD. With no pix, vids or tests, one can only go off what OP said. Better to take things seriously sooner rather than run into major problems later.

Edit: PS, OP go see a doctor.

Edit 2: I am not a doctor, what I said came straight from a medical doctor friend who read the OP. Please seek advice DIRECTLY from a medical doctor before proceeding with any form of treatment.

Last edited:

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
Wait do you mean you use the same mask 8-9 hours a day for 4-5 days? If you use one 8 hours it needs to go right in the trash man.
I wear a mask all day for my day job, and then at my night job(manual labor with lots of sweat) total 10+ hrs and I haven't had any issues like yours.