• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
500 hours? She got her money's worth. Time to move on to another game. You did her a favor.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
You're going to want to remain calm.
1)Go outside and break your window. This needs to be done from the outside! You want glass inside.
2)Toss the place. Books off shelves, games strewn about. Papers everywhere. Overturn furniture.
3) Rehearse your story. "I don't know what could have happened! Nah, theres really no need to call the police. Thankfully they only made off with the switch..."
4) Switch 4k

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is really sad. truth be told i don't even understand how it works. i know i turned something on in my game.. cloud backup i guess? that means i can't transfer locally if i would need to? why is this so stupid nintendo? people already break the game and time travel all the time.

let us control our damn save

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
It's like a one-sided version of that Christmas love story where each person sells their most treasured possession to complete the set of what the other just sold.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
You're going to want to remain calm.
1)Go outside and break your window. This needs to be done from the outside! You want glass inside.
2)Toss the place. Books off shelves, games strewn about. Papers everywhere. Overturn furniture.
3) Rehearse your story. "I don't know what could have happened! Nah, theres really no need to call the police. Thankfully they only made off with the switch..."
4) Switch 4k
This is the way.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
RIP in pieces, OP.

But also, coming from someone who just lost his and his wife's island because our switch needed to be repaired, very sorry to hear that. Nintendo is really behind the times, it's nutso.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Why is just about everything involving save games on the Switch, from transferring them to storing them on the cloud, seemingly designed at random?

JJBro1

Nov 1, 2017
If all is indeed lost I say set up an Animal Crossing gofundme, share your story, and I'm sure people will be happy to donate bells to get your wife back on her feet and pay off her house faster amongst other things. Your heart was in the right place.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I think you're fine the save data should still be on the OG switch, as far as I am aware unless you reset the system afterwards
I don't think there's a way to transfer that save but I don't think its gone

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Well it asked if the user was planning to continue using the old Switch, and I put 'No'. Think it completely wiped her data and everything from it with the transfer.

Have you tried buying Animal Crossing on the old Switch? Maybe the save is still tied to that account.

But sheesh, as someone who has put 350 hours into my AC island, I literally can't imagine how pissed I would be if my boyfriend did this lol. Hopefully you're able to recover the save somehow! If not, I guess this is a good lesson on making sure to back everything up first in the future.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
You're out of luck.

It sucks but this is on Nintendo for their backwards ass decisions. You were just trying to give a nice surprise to your wife. She should hopefully understand and not be mad at you. You did nothing wrong OP. It's a bit ridiculous that Nintendo expects people to follow their stupid rules for this game. They really need to get a grip and stupid being dicks about saves.

Apr 25, 2020
It was a nice gesture OP but you really should have left the whole data transfer thing to her, then if anything went wrong you would be in the clear.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
fetchimage

Time to start packing, OP.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Damn, that sucks. Reminds me of the time I bought a new 3DS and had to transfer everything. My old 3DS would be left an empty husk and if something went wrong... well, who knew what would happen? The procedure felt less like a simple data transfer and more like a game of russion roulette.

God forbid you owned two 3DSes tied to one account...

Sad to read it's been four years but apparently little has changed.

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't the save file be in the old device or something?

Anyways, fuck Nintendo when it comes to pretty much anything online.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Tell her a bad neighbor spread rumors about her and all the villagers decided to leave 🙁

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
She might be cool with it. Maybe she was getting tired of her island being so advanced. Starting over might be fun for her

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
It's not your fault. It's Nintendo's horrendous save system for AC
Yeah, this. You did what made the most sense normally, since on the 3ds you'd never have to worry about something like this.

That said, next time just... give the present as it is and do it all together with your wife instead of trying to get it all ready. Setting up your new devices is really fun and adds to the memories with them.

I had a couple of bad experiences with surprises myself this year, like finishing a painting gift only to find out that what my gf actually liked the sketch and I got her sad for covering it up, or doing some DIY craft that my sister bought and gave me, waiting to get her thanks, only to find out that she wanted to do it TOGETHER...

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The fact that you can't simply transfer your save data to a new console without issue is completely unacceptable.

However, wouldn't her save file still be on the old console?

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm angry for your wife! But it came from the heart so she can't stay upset for that long (if at all).

Silly idea incoming: People love celebrities coming to their places, or at least that's what I heard. Maybe you can tell your story on twitter and get one of them to plant something or just visit her new place.

seriously, this. where'd the op go?...
Found them....
dead2.gif

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It should be, but the OP has vanished so we have no idea if they've tried it or not.

So if I'm understanding how this works correctly, this is how it would technically work:

- Backup your Animal Crossing save to the cloud.
- Do a full system transfer to the new Switch (which I assume includes your Nintendo account).
- Call Nintendo support and ask them to transfer the save to your new Switch.

(Although, Nintendo's site says this is only possible in the case of a lost or broken Switch, which makes no sense.)

Is that correct?

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
Call Nintendo.

Take her out for dinner or make dinner. Clean up the house do w.e you think she will enjoy seeing when she comes home.

Yea you bought her the new switch which cost a lot but that's also the reason you're in this situation so it's better to soften the blow again by doing the extra mile.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Fuckin Nintendo and their stupid ass backwards system, that's terrible OP at least you were genuinely trying to do something nice.

waddledee123

May 22, 2018
If you haven't done it yet call Nintendo as soon as possible and see if they can help you out. It was a nice gesture maybe she will be forgiving and start a new island if it's not recoverable. I'd like to hear an update if you do call Nintendo if your still around that is