• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Movies almost always have an intermission where I live. I'm kind of surprised to hear that it's not normal in the US, given that cinemas usually make money from the food shops more than the actual tickets. I'm glad they do here, hate babying my beer for three hours straight. Just give me a break to piss and get a refill.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The story needs to have a clear break for that to happen. Screenwriting doesn't do that for film anymore, it barely did in the past, because it can ruin the momentum of the story. Theaters may like the idea, get more sells in concessions, but it has to start early from a production standpoint for it to work.

Plays and musicals do it all the time. It's not a big deal and I think people would be open to it as long as it doesn't ruin the storytelling. I just saw a three hour play built around two intermissions the other day. It was great, it worked for the structure and I enjoyed more wine. Make it less of a rush and lean more in to an "experience" that studios and theaters keep propping up for those long flicks.
You can often find a good place in a long story for it, or even edit one in if needed. A good example is the home versions of the Lord of the Rings extended editions, since they have to break to switch discs. It's a perfect intermission point - like, the first movie breaks right after the Fellowship forms and heads out ("Mordor Gandalf, is it Left or Right?") If I remember right, the other two movies each broke on a cliffhanger moment that changed the story.

When Titanic shipped on VHS, the first tape ended right after the Iceburg hit, when the captain was told the ship would sink. I read somewhere that some theaters put in their own intermission for Titanic at the same point, as that was the first mainstream long-ass movie since like "Ghandi" (which did ship with an intermission built-in - just 3 minutes of black screen with music).

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood had an intermission at my showing and it was fantastic.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
After just seeing The Batman today, I wholeheartedly agree.
Or call me crazy, Reeve's also had the option of cutting an hour which they easily could have done and told the same damn story. To me it is a textbook example of a movie that is long strictly for the sake of being long and not because it needed to be.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I could see some movies being more popular with an intermission. One of my favorite movies, Cloud Atlas, flopped in part due to its length (there were other issues too, but the length was one of its biggest problems). Maybe if it was broken into two parts with a few minutes in the middle people wouldn't have minded the length. The movie has multiple points that feels like it's building up to an ending - until you realize there's over an hour left. So I'm sure they could find a good intermission point in there.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I have never once seen a movie with an intermission. I don't think this has been a regular thing at any point in most of our lifetimes.

Branagh's Hamlet had an intermission in the US.

I spent a summer in Israel in 1998 and every movie I saw in theater there had an intermission built into it. First one I saw was Armageddon and when it happened everyone got up and rushed out of the theater. Was pretty freaked out until I realized they were just going to the bathroom or buying snacks.

Dec 16, 2017
Intermissions would be nice, but the movie would need to be edited for one. You need to have a big scene or revelation right before to do it right.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Your solution to incredibly long movie experiences is to make them longer? Interesting proposal.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I have never once seen a movie with an intermission. I don't think this has been a regular thing at any point in most of our lifetimes.
The version of The Hateful Eight I went to had a short intermission. It was actually kind of nice. If we're going to be in the age of +2.5 hour movies then I think it might be a good idea. Gives you time to hit the bathroom, grab another drink, and just stretch your legs.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I went to a Fathom event awhile back with an intermission and it was pretty nice. Especially since I was going out with friends, it felt more social to get to talk to them midway through.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I don't know what I think. I'd like the opportunity without missing anything, but I personally don't really mind getting up while a movie is in action very much, it leaves something for the rewatch. One of the more annoying aspects of the theater are the people, so I also wouldn't be too keen on dealing with a second round of waiting for people to settle, put away their phones, and dealing with stragglers.

It wouldn't bring me back to the movies.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they should add commercial breaks. Take the 25 minutes of trailers up front and sprinkle them throughout the movie.
really-seriously.gif

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
I gotta say I hate modern day pacing in games and media.

Concerning general media everything nowadays is either rushed with constant cuts every 3 secs or absurd runtimes nearing 3 hrs. Not everyone has the attention span of a toddler or the endurance of Tarantino. Dont get me started on general video game bloat and tutorial lengths.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I think it'd be cool if it was a theater option, like how you'd choose one with subtitles or something, but keep the majority of theaters to just be the regular showing.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
you would only need an intermission if it's something as boring and dragging like the batman

infinity war and endgame flew by without anyone noticing. but batman i saw several people take piss breaks

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. It's a VIBE!

I saw Hateful Eight in theaters in 70mm with a full interval, I feel like I'll never forget it.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly agreed. Especially for 2+ hour flicks.

They give you GIANT "small" drinks and you just end up hurting for half of the movie...

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah, that would be a great idea to introduce intermissions again. Lets people to stretch their legs, go to restroom and also sell more concession items. Win-Win for everybody.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I've only seen intermissions on restored prints of movies released before I was born, not once in my lifetime. I'd rather movies be shorter than have intermissions.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
No lie I used the restroom like 8 times during Far From Home. Somehow timed it to only the dialogue scenes but I don't think I missed anything important besides Ned referencing an evil version of himself.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
After just seeing The Batman today, I wholeheartedly agree.
Or call me crazy, Reeve's also had the option of cutting an hour which they easily could have done and told the same damn story. To me it is a textbook example of a movie that is long strictly for the sake of being long and not because it needed to be.
They test screened a shorter version and it tested far worse.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You can get up and go pee any time you want. Intermission will just turn to shit with people running and comeback in for 10 minutes after it resumes. I'd rather not be there an additional 15 minutes.

What actually needs to happen is movies need to be shorter. There are few films I think that earn their length these days. Antlers and Cop Shop were two at 1:40 and 1:45 which both flew by and I appreciate it. Outside of West Side Story, most recent two hour+ films just felt like they could have shaved a good half hour off.
I can agree in terms of action blockbusters not earning their length usually when they get to 2:30 hours or more, but I love longer films that are not in that three-act structure mode and become more like novel pacing. It becomes a case by case basis for me rather than something that can be generalised.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they should add commercial breaks. Take the 25 minutes of trailers up front and sprinkle them throughout the movie.

I feel like in a world where grown ass adults are constantly being filmed having public freak outs over the dumbest shit, that this is a good way to maim some theater workers lol

Oct 25, 2017
In theory it sounds great but in all actuality it's not good at all for many reasons also theater would lose more money because they would have less showings of movie throughout the day.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
i'm not huge on movie theatres in general so I don't go very often but i'd happily pay slightly more for a "premium" experience with no ads at the start and an intermission in the middle

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
They do in switzerland. At least my local cinema does. 25 minutes for ads tho? Never expdrienced that in my life and i'd walk out of the door if at the time thd movie was supposed to show we'd be getting ads instead. I'd leave after the third ad.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
They do in switzerland. At least my local cinema does. 25 minutes for ads tho? Never expdrienced that in my life and i'd walk out of the door if at the time thd movie was supposed to show we'd be getting ads instead. I'd leave after the third ad.

I usually don't go into a theater until about 15-20 minutes after the posted start time so that I can skip all the ads and trailers.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
No thanks. I'd rather miss two minutes of the movie than line up for 10 minutes to piss.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I asked a manager of one of the local indie theaters why they don't offer an intermission and it's mostly a cost thing for them (and I imagine also for the chain theaters as well). Gotta have more staff ready for people to rush to the restrooms plus you're sometimes stacking multiple showings of movies on top of each other and suddenly you got a bathroom/concession rush that your too short staffed to handle on a regular Sun-Thurs screenings. Cost and most movies don't come with the cut there for an intermission and again because you don't have like a projectionist running just one booth but juggling a split sometimes of various films and keeping everything up and running the staff load just isn't there. This is what they explained to me.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
I think there'd be the problem of how the intermission would be handled - would it be planned for in advance during the scripting or editing of the film, or handled by the location showing the film? Personally I've never had the issue of needing to leave a screening during a film, but can understand why some may - perhaps a limited number of screenings with intermissions could be trailed to see if there's actual demand for them?

Red UFO

Oct 25, 2017
I would like this, I can't remember the last time I made it all the way through a film at the cinema.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think there'd be the problem of how the intermission would be handled - would it be planned for in advance during the scripting or editing of the film, or handled by the location showing the film? Personally I've never had the issue of needing to leave a screening during a film, but can understand why some may - perhaps a limited number of screenings with intermissions could be trailed to see if there's actual demand for them?
movies had intermissions here for my entire lifetime and it works just fine. usually they pick a good spot for it.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Huh, weird. Pretty much every movie over 2 hours that I watch in the theatre has an intermission. This is pretty common in both The Netherlands and Belgium.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I read somewhere that movies have gotten longer in the last decade or so because of streaming platforms. They are incentivized so that when they leave theaters and live on streaming forever they can keep people on the platform for longer. So yes I agree with intermission times because long ass movies aren't going anywhere.