• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Borderlands 3 has the best cover art among the AAA releases of this gen?

• Yes

Votes: 75 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 352 82.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's downright bad design.

First off, it takes a beautiful piece of religious artwork and goes "Lol the Memes" and just ruins it by Having the Borderlands Face.

Secondly, it does nothing to actually SELL the game in question if you know nothing about it.

Thirdly, again, it's a bad memetic tier game cover, something that I would expect to see on like Etsy or Thinkgeek, not the result of actual artists trying. It doesn't convey Borderlands
I disagree that it doesn't convey Borderlands. You say that it's just a shitty meme cover, and that's exactly what Borderlands is: a game filled with shitty memes and jokes that make you feel embarrassed for whoever wrote them.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Should have titled it BORD3RLANDS and gone with either the 3 hands or hands+foot combo.
images
shnzhwkahdqbfxgdsxptqg-650-80.jpg

Other than that the real BL3 cover is pretty good looking.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Nah don't care about Borderlands 3 cover art.
Steelbooks almost always have so much better cover arts than standard editions.
Just few from this year:

59937327_329855461020971_3380011061904422996_n.jpg

resident-evil-2-steelbook-1153063.jpeg

monster-hunter-world-iceborne-steelbook-edition-ps4-31.jpg

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I think it's pretty good. The art is well made, colorful, and pops. My personal votes go more towards SotC remake, Link's Awakening, BotW, or MK8D. The Kingdom Hearts 3 one is terrible, kinda surprised it's so well-liked.

Oct 25, 2017

First off, it takes a beautiful piece of religious artwork and goes "Lol the Memes" and just ruins it by Having the Borderlands Face.

Secondly, it does nothing to actually SELL the game in question if you know nothing about it.

Thirdly, again, it's a bad memetic tier game cover, something that I would expect to see on like Etsy or Thinkgeek, not the result of actual artists trying. It doesn't convey Borderlands
It absolutely conveys something about borderlands, even if it's not the gameplay mechanics.

Ruining a beautiful work with a dumb meme is completely the point. It's not "bad design." You just don't like it, which is totally fine.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I agree it's one of the best of this gen.

God of war box art is also beautiful.

god-of-war-ps4-boxart-843x1024-700x850.jpg

I'm not sure if they are really AAA but Gravity rush 2 and Nier automata also have beautiful cover art.

405791-gravity-rush-2-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

382107-nier-automata-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

I would add as an honorable mention Horizon zero dawn.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I think BOTW takes the cake from what I've seen. Simple and yet conveys so much information whilst still being eye catching. The Spider-Man cover deserves more credit. Yeah it's hardlt very creative but the colours pop so well it stands out extremely well on store shelves. Maybe not the most creative but does it's job as well as any cover.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
When it comes to box art design, I have realised I have sooo much different tastes than most of Era.
Basically when Era hates a box art (Spider-Man, god I love that box art !!! Cyberpunk 2077, it's about the same composition, protagonist pops out of a flashy monochrome background, it's so unusual and weird I love it) I love it, and when Era really loves a box art, I don't like it :
Borderlands 3, I think it's a really really good box art, it looks cool, it's weird, it's unique, it's so against the codes of the AAA box art design, but I don't like it. Too weird for me.

Another one I don't like, is the japanese and american box art for BOTW. It's the cliche of the hero, weapons in hand, facing the world. Also not a fan of the colorimetry. The orange/red screams "epic !", which is not my interpretation of the game. While the game surely has epic proportions (huge world to explore, defeat the Evil, etc), it's imo one of the most intimate Zelda game there is. Link is alone, with you, and you explore the world at your own pace. One can finish the game in 30 hours, other will take 200 hours. The musical ambiance of the game clearly goes in that direction too, not epic, more intimate, calm.
Which is why the european box art is so cool :

jpg

First thing you notice : Link is watching you. He's breaking the 4th wall, he's inviting you, the player, to go on an adventure. It's already way less cliché than the original box art.
The colors are also colder (blue and green), which is way more representative of the art direction of most of the game, and more representative of the mood of the game imo.
I also love some details, like the birds, it makes it feel like the box art truly has captured an instant, it's not just an art, it's an instant that has been catched, an instant that is very much alive. Like the world of the game, full of life, of wild animals, of plants, etc.
It's my personal favorite box art of the gen.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I agree it's one of the best of this gen.

God of war box art is also beautiful.

god-of-war-ps4-boxart-843x1024-700x850.jpg

I'm not sure if they are really AAA but Gravity rush 2 and Nier automata also have beautiful cover art.

405791-gravity-rush-2-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

382107-nier-automata-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

I would add as an honorable mention Horizon zero dawn.

Nier Automata's cover art is my favorite, especially after I've finished the game.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

so you're saying it perfectly describes and encapsulates Borderlands then.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps not the best, but definitely in the conversation.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is my pick though. It's absolutely stunning.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is kind of lame. Which fits in with Borderlands, very tryhard, very 12yo immature undercooked attempts at humor. As eye rolling as most of the franchise minus Tales.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Never understand the crazy praise BOTW gets for its cover when it's generic protagonist holding weapon looking away

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with OP. The cover art is fantastic and really stands out from other games. Great use of colour!

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End steelbook cover crushes everything in my opinion.
Main recognizable characters are in the shot, with simple illustration style; no need bright colours and complex 3D in-game or pre-rendered objects.
Overall, it's just stylish looking cover art.

uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end-edicion-steelbook-para-ps4-D_NQ_NP_724689-MLM26131782956_102017-F.jpg

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's tacky because it's cluttered and highlights that atrocious BL art style while basically representing nothing about the game.

It's a very ineffective, visually displeasing way of simply saying "Look how irreverent we are". I don't even know if that was the point, because I suspect most people will simply look at it and say "Hey, it's that guy, must be Borderlands. Also flowers, I guess?"

I actually like the Spider-Man design. It's bursting with colors that tell you what it is before you even see the image on it, it's tastefully minimalist, it shows off the new suit and quality textures, and it gives you a sense of how dynamic the character is. I don't know how it will look to us in 10 years, but it's very effective today.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I like it a lot. I'd need to do some real looking to know if it's my favorite though.

And obviously Borderlands is a AAA franchise. Has a huge budget, makes huge sales, has high production values. You don't need to like it, but it's not some rinky dink series

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I never noticed how good the cover art for this game was because I never really looked at it. I mean I'm never getting a box with it on it.
Yeah, Doom's alternate art they handed out for free at Gamestop is my favorite. (ugh, I had to go to a Gamestop to pick this up, at least I didn't have to buy the game there and they gave me two).
v239Dlt.jpg

edit: note, this is just the reverse art. I posted the Gamestop exclusive art sleeve thingy later down the page

Last edited:

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Doom's alternate art they handed out for free at Gamestop is my favorite. (ugh, I had to go to a Gamestop to pick this up, at least I didn't have to buy the game there and they gave me two).
v239Dlt.jpg
Isn't this on the reverse of the regular cover? It's on mine.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
wonderful-101-us-wiiu-esrb-rendjpg-e969fd.jpg

Best boxart this gen imo with this a good 2nd place.. Nintendo's boxart game in the Wii u phase was something else Soo Soo good

916IDjwdN2L.jpg

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
High-selling is not what AAA means.

Yes its based on the budget.
High budget is AAA.
And Borderlands, Borderlands 2 and Borderlands the Pre-Sequel are well into the AAA budget levels.
Borderlands cost like 30 million to make....Halo 3 cost somewhere around there too.....so unless Halo 3 isnt AAA, Borderlands easily falls into AAA levels.

And as others have pointed out its has sold a shit ton.
Its AAA easily.

You need to get out of the Internet bubble.
Borderlands is popular out there and just because you didnt like aspect X doesnt mean the devs didnt pour millions of dollars into it.
Borderlands 2 was a huge game....and 3 looks to up the ante multiple times fold.....yeah AAA.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this on the reverse of the regular cover? It's on mine.
Oh you're right. I'm sorry, I got it mixed up with the other alternate cover that looked more like an homage the original's box art (which had a reverse-side of its own that was just the same but "autographed")

Here's a pic of the cover I meant I found by searching around.
nPykJ5y.jpg

tAU4VCs.jpg

Last edited: