• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I've been rewatching the show on Netflix lately.

Its still as hilarious as the first time.

Great show.

Let's appreciate it together.

Sep 12, 2018
Alright show but can't say I have any desire to continue watching it with Graham Linehan being a colossal prick.

At least with Father Ted and the first season of Black Books I can just attribute the show being funny to another writer.

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
Fuck Graham Linehan.

The origin of the episode in which Matt Berry beats a transgender woman unconscious makes a lot more sense these days.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Loved the show and rewatch it from time to time. Did not know about Graham Linehan being an absolute shitstain tho. Fuck him.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Some of the more questionable things in the show I thought were made tongue in cheek. Now I'm not so sure

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I just introduced my wife to it the other day and she loves it. Great show that I've rewatched probably 10 times at this point.

OP
OP
Ocarina_117

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Did not know about Graham Linehan being an utter bellend.

now I feel bad for making this thread :/

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Wife and I just rewatched this. While some of the episodes are still absolute all-time classics, a fair amount have aged really poorly. It's a real mixed bag.

"A fire!? At Sea Parks!?"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wife and I just rewatched this. While some of the episodes are still absolute all-time classics, a fair amount have aged really poorly. It's a real mixed bag.

"A fire!? At Sea Parks!?"

That's how I feel about it too. Some episodes are great, a LOT have not aged well.

And Linehan is a bastard, on top of it all.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Some really great episodes, but it's definitely dated humor wise.

I'll put it on the second screen while playing MMOs occasionally.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I personally didn't enjoy what I've seen as much as I've hoped.

I went in with the expectation of more in jokes for people that work in IT but from what little I've seen it's mostly surface level references. I personally would enjoy something that was more like Silicon Valley that wasn't afraid of potentially alienating the audience with more obscure referential jokes.

PontyfaxJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
It was my introduction to Matt Berry so I'll always have a soft spot for it, but rewatching it leaves a bad taste in my mouth now that Glinner has shown his arse.

Being Irish means quoting or referencing Father Ted three times a day so in my mind I just attribute that to Arthur Matthews.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It has some really good episodes. The creator may be a POS but it's still enjoyable.

What's the consensus on the Gay Musical episode and the one with the trans woman? Were they handled badly? Honest question. Because they're two of the funniest episodes. (The second one because of the Jen and Internet stuff mostly)

The dinner party is still one of the greatest things ever. And Noel Felding's character did not get nearly enough screen time over the whole show. He's a funny as hell actor.

Jen the Fredo is fantastic. "SUBTITLES? I CAN'T READ WHEN I'M ALSO TRYING TO SEE THINGS!" "Naw, he took the ring to Mordor!" I have a soft spot for episodes of geeky shows that do D&D episodes. (Community's first one was wonderful. The second one not so much.) Even though I've never played D&D in my life.

Countdown is genius. And Roy's B story is just fantastic.

FriendFace is also genius. Just complete genius in every scene.

Bad Boys where Moss steals DVDs and all the Windows Vista jokes. "WE ARE GOING TO DIE!"

I just wish it was available in HD somewhere. Even Netflix has it in SD. Even the first couple seasons of Doctor Who (With Tennant) are all SD only because they didn't go HD until just before Smith came along.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I tried very hard to like this show and just couldn't. Found it quite boring.
Saw a couple of episodes with the ex. Didn't crack a smile once. Add to that the series creator is a massive transphobe dickhead, I will never return to give it a second chance.

Coupling, on the other hand, is hilarious and best-ever sitcom. (First three seasons, anyway.)

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I loved the show years ago and still have a fondness for all of the actors. But Lineham being a piece of shit really makes it hard to go back to it.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
It has historically been one of my favorite shows, so I really hate that the creator is a piece of shit.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Black Books was always Dylan Moran's show - Linehan wasn't even involved with it past the first season (iirc, he and Moran didn't get on very well, and Moran has voiced support for trans rights during his stand-up).
This is wonderful news. And it appears all of Black Books is on All 4. I know what I'm doing tonight.

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
What's the consensus on the Gay Musical episode and the one with the trans woman? Were they handled badly? Honest question.

I'm sure you're not asking in bad faith.

But it's an episode of a show, from Britain's most notorious TERF, in which a man beats half to death a trans woman, who he supposedly "loved", simply because he found out she is trans. And it is played for laughs.

Yeah...
It was handled badly...

Last edited:

Deleted member 20850

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

But it's an episode of a show, from Britain's most notorious TERF, in which a man beats half to death a trans woman, who he supposedly "loved", simply because he found out she is trans. And it is played for laughs.

Yeah...
It was handled badly...

Not only does he beat her unconscious. She throws the first punch and that one sends him flying. She is also a pretty close physical match for most of the fight they have. Because you know, when it comes down to it trans women are still just men or something. Or at least that is the impression the show wants to give. Which is in line with the beliefs of the show's creator.

So I agree, this is really bad.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Transphobia
0118 999 881 999 119 725

This show is bloody amazing! Also Richmond is by far the best character of the bunch, very wise to not overuse him. Same with the original CEO.

The origin of the episode in which Matt Berry beats a transgender woman unconscious makes a lot more sense these days.
This episode had my crying with laughter to be honest, from the start I was expecting that he just didn't pay much attention. And while questionable, the fight scene and the following: "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!" had me in tears. I can't believe how they even came up with half of these situations.

But I must've missed what Linehan did, what happened?

I just wish it was available in HD somewhere. Even Netflix has it in SD. Even the first couple seasons of Doctor Who (With Tennant) are all SD only because they didn't go HD until just before Smith came along.
It's a shame, except for the finale, the entire show was recorded in SD. It's unfortunate that the BBC took their sweet time adapting to HD. Many shows weren't adapted into HD until well into 2009/2010. Hell the 2010 episodes of this show were still recorded in SD, it took this show until 2013 before it got HD.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20850

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe how they even came up with half of these situations.

But I must've missed what Linehan did, what happened?

He is a mega TERF/giant transphobe. That's pretty much where the stuff from that particular episode comes from.

I mean the joke here is pretty much 'Haha she is really a man and he didn't pay attention when she told him'

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
0118 999 881 999 119 725

This show is bloody amazing! Also Richmond is by far the best character of the bunch, very wise to not overuse him. Same with the original CEO.

This episode had my crying with laughter to be honest, from the start I was expecting that he just didn't pay much attention. And while questionable, the fight scene and the following: "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!" had me in tears. I can't believe how they even came up with half of these situations.

They came up with that situation because Graham Linehan is a massively outspoken transphobe. It's not hard to believe he would write something in which the joke is primarily "this 'woman' is really a man", "it's funny that Matt Berry would sleep with 'him'", and "it's hilarious to see Matt Berry brawl with 'him' and throw 'him' through a glass wall unconscious."

Conversely, what I can't believe is that somebody on ResetEra would respond uncritically to blatantly transphobic material from a proud transphobe because said material had them "crying with laughter" (so implicitly all bigotry is forgiven.)

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Leg disabled.

EjzfZgg.gif

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Conversely, what I can't believe is that somebody on ResetEra would respond uncritically to blatantly transphobic material from a proud transphobe because said material had them "crying with laughter" (so implicitly all bigotry is forgiven.)
Count yourself lucky you missed the Dave Chapelle threads.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Binged the whole thing my last semester of uni. It's the great show that's unfortunately tarnished by its creator being a transphobic wank (which makes the ep where Doug dates a transwoman even worse in hindsight). Peep Show is similar wrt Robert Webb.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
-snip-

I never said that the jokes regarding her aren't questionable, it's already right there in the post, and I didn't know about the Linehan situation before now. The part that had me crying with laughter was the resulting joke regarding the internet box being destroyed and a fight scene breaking out ("We're all going to die!") between all the employees. Just because I laughed at a part of the episode, that doesn't mean that all the jokes in the episode are fine. I already said as much...

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
One of THE classic sitcoms. Brilliant from start to finish. I try to get everyone to watch it. It's masterful lmao

I'M DISABLED

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Transphobia

Yeah...
It was handled badly...
Not only does he beat her unconscious. She throws the first punch and that one sends him flying. She is also a pretty close physical match for most of the fight they have. Because you know, when it comes down to it trans women are still just men or something. Or at least that is the impression the show wants to give. Which is in line with the beliefs of the show's creator.

So I agree, this is really bad.
I guess I never took a huge issue with it is because of how the character handles it. He doesn't immediately try to beat her up. He takes time to think things over for a few days. It isn't until she gets mad that he wants to break up that they start fighting. To be honest if I were in the same situation I'd probably have to take time to think things over. I have no frame of reference as I've never been in a situation like that. However I also wouldn't beat up a woman even in self-defense.

I can see the issue though. As I said the better part of the episode is the stuff with Jen and the Internet anyway. Also the restaurant with the weird shaped foods is funny too.

Just a shame the creator is a POS.

What about the Gay musical episode? I find it one of the best episodes. Never saw it as making fun of gay people so much as making fun of people who are socially awkward around gay people. Also most of its best parts aren't even part of the musical anyway. Like Moss getting confused for an employee. What about Roy pretending to be disabled and not being able to just admit he made a mistake so he sticks with it until the bitter end. I am genuinely interested in the consensus of that episode.

I hope I haven't misspoke here. I don't want to take this thread off topic but it is a discussion and some of its best episodes do have major problems.

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
I never said that the jokes regarding her aren't questionable, it's already right there in the post, and I didn't know about the Linehan situation before now. The part that had me crying with laughter was the resulting joke regarding the internet box being destroyed and a fight scene breaking out ("We're all going to die!") between all the employees. Just because I laughed at a part of the episode, that doesn't mean that all the jokes in the episode are fine. I already said as much...

The April jokes are not "questionable". Calling them "questionable" is some weak-ass fence sitting in the face of a bigot using his platform to beat down on a persecuted minority.

They're outright transphobia from an outright transphobe. If somebody found them funny, especially nowadays, then congrats to that person because they're laughing along with Linehan's views. There is no other meaning behind those jokes. There is nothing to question.

Well, now I presume you do know about Linehan. Good. He's a piece of shit who tried to defund a children's charity. Everybody should know that if they know who he is.

Okay. So you liked the episode for everything other than the transphobia. Great. Might I suggest you don't respond to a post outlining only the transphobic content of the episode with "[the episode had me crying with laughter]", and then expect to not be believed to be minimising the transphobia? Because you definitely did not say "but it's only the non-transphobic stuff I liked" until now. You did not "already [say as much]" that the transphobia wasn't the part you were crying with laughter at.