• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
Every single monster, murderer, bigot etc has a reason for who they are, but we still have to hold them responsible, and in this case promoting their work is absolutely not holding them responsible and its more like most people still don't even believe he did anything wrong. Supporting his work without acknowledging this is fostering apathy.

Holding someone responsible does not mean you need form a visceral or emotional hatred of them as people, such that looking at them or enjoying their work should make you feel guilt or disgust. This would be true for much worse and more clear-cut acts of violence and abuse by those who are clearly mentally disturbed. Even psychopaths, who have the intelligence to know full well that they are doing wrong, did not choose to be psychopaths.

Again, I don't think it needs to be zero-sum, and that we can believe and fully support victims of abuses and other crimes, while trying our best to fully understand and even empathize with perpetrators and criminals, regardless of the extent to which their guilt is proven. We can take revenge and retribution almost entirely out of the picture. And I believe for most of us, that means we can still appreciate the work of artists like MJ in the spirit with which those works were created. Which is to say we can appreciate them in their own right and only remember the abuses so as to not forget the suffering of the victims, and motivate us to better ourselves and our society so as to prevent abuses like this from ever happening in the first place.

AnGi

Banned
Apr 23, 2021
User Banned (permanent): troll account
At this point the allegations were debunked so many times by several sources, I can not willingly believe his accusators. Safechuck for example destroys his own narrative by describing in detail the abuse in a building that didn't exist. How can you take them seriously?

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't let ResetERA define acceptable media consumption for you 😂

which harem anime is closest to the marvel universe Star Wars crossover event???!

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
People will tend to justify the faults of those artists/authors they like while being harsher with those they don't.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I can't listen to his music anymore. There is so much terrific music out there that isn't made by pedos. Sure plenty of artists have dirt on them but molesting kids is particularly horrid.

Oct 25, 2017
The sad unfortunate reality is that many artists, likely far more than you realize, were predatory in varying ways. You just have to look at the works and decide for yourself.

If you have to ask others for a validation either way then it's showing some kind of guiltily consciousness.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At this point the allegations were debunked so many times by several sources, I can not willingly believe his accusators. Safechuck for example destroys his own narrative by describing in detail the abuse in a building that didn't exist. How can you take them seriously?

Get the fuck out of here with this shit.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kendrick straight up says that he doesn't believe the allegations on the closing track of To Pimp a Butterfly.

That's not what he's saying in that song at all. He isn't saying Michael Jackson did it, he's living in the conundrum of enjoying media by someone many say is a monster and wrestling with that. I don't know how you listen to that album and think he's literally saying "Michael Jackson didn't do it."

On topic of the thread, at the very least Michael Jackson as a grown ass man slept in the same bed as young children. Dude was fucked. That said, I still listen to his music of I'm in the mood for it or if it comes on the radio. Dude is dead and died pretty much penniless from what I remember. I can only really engage with media from problematic artists when those artists no longer benefit financially.

Last edited:

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still able to enjoy it, because it's REALLY good music. Had he been convicted it would definitely have tarnished his music beyond listenable to me.

The whole story is just sad. Sad for the victim kids and their parents. Sad for a large number of kids (myself included) who grew up on Michael Jackson's music, only to find out as adults that he was an alleged pedophile.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Dismissing allegations of sexual abuse; prior severe bans
I've removed all his albums from my Apple Music account a long ass time ago, BUT wasn't that documentary JUST deemed false? Like those two were clearly lying.

AnGi

Banned
Apr 23, 2021
I've removed all his albums from my Apple Music account a long ass time ago, BUT wasn't that documentary JUST deemed false? Like those two were clearly lying.
It collapses like a house of cards once you really look into it. At this point I believe certain people wish to believe children were molested whilst ignoring any facts or proof that would suggest otherwise.

Dopply

Nov 27, 2020
I was a huge MJ fan and he was a big part of my childhood. I stopped listening cold turkey after that doc. Maybe someday I'll be able to listen again, maybe not. Right now though... no thanks.

I don't really care how many excuses, how many debunks or whatever that MJ cultists try to put forward; he slept with kids, he had an alarm that alerted him when people approached his bedrooms. Those are two undeniable, provable facts. I don't know how you can know that and still insist nothing happened.