• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
I personally think it's ok cause he's dead and can no longer benefit from it.
Everyone draws the line a bit differently. I've definitely sworn off Lostprophets music, the singer is still alive, not really sure if that monster still makes money off of his music.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
I feel like I have a hard time listening to him without spending the whole song thinking about what he did, who he was, what we went through. At that point I'm not even listening to the song, certainly not enjoying it like I used to. Won't seek his music out, and if it's on the radio, I'll probably check another station to see if I can find something else.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel like this line of thinking holds up under scrutiny. Being dead doesn't make what he did any less horrific. He also has an estate, which still earns money from his career accomplishments.

People can listen to them if they want - no judgment here. I just don't think him being dead or alive has shit all to do with whether listening to his music is okay or not.

You begrudge his children for his crimes? Sins of the father or something? I think there are situations where that argument fails -- ie, if you don't want to expose people to the music of a pedophile or elevate his popular status but if you just don't want to support him it seems like a relevant fact to me

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I still listen to The Smiths and Bowie, though Morrissey is one of the biggest assholes on the planet and Bowie fucked countless underage people.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
You begrudge his children for his crimes? Sins of the father or something? I think there are situations where that argument fails -- ie, if you don't want to expose people to the music of a pedophile or elevate his popular status but if you just don't want to support him it seems like a relevant fact to me

I begrudge anyone over that estate who continually denies abuse victims recompense.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
www.forbes.com

What You Should Know About the New Michael Jackson Documentary

Recent allegations against the pop icon are disturbing. But do they hold up to scrutiny?
Isnt MJ innocent ?
I havent seen the new documentary but it is another set of allegations wo new evidence. Just because it is emotionally charged doesnt mean it is true???
At 'best' he abused children, at worst he raped them. So no, he's a disgusting fuck whose reputation deserves to forever be associated with the vile shit he inflicted onto others.

Ghgghggh

Banned
May 2, 2018
User Banned (2 months): Dismissing allegations of sexual abuse over multiple posts; account in junior phase
At 'best' he abused children, at worst he raped them. So no, he's a disgusting fuck whose reputation deserves to forever be associated with the vile shit he inflicted onto others.
Where is the proof he abused children ?

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Michael Jackson was a very disturbed man who never got the help he needed.
Michael Jackson almost certainly engaged in behavior that is illegal if not amoral and possibly worse.
Michael Jackson left a trail of victims in his wake, intentionally or not.
Michael Jackson's music was an integral part of my childhood and I still love listening to it.

All of these things can be true.
Where is your evidence that "almost certainly engaged in illegal behavior"

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I think people should just enjoy the media they want to enjoy. You can enjoy something and still admit that the person behind it is a piece of shit, and not believe the same shit they do.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
At this point, I think people should just enjoy the media they want to enjoy. You can enjoy something and still admit that the person behind it is a piece of shit, and not believe the same shit they do.
I'm guessing a lot of people who are famous in the music world were scumbags in their days

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Wtf is this? It's trolling for asking where evidence is? You have to remember there are other people who are famous that grew up around Micheal who swear up and down he was not an abuser.
It's trolling to wander into a thread waving a random Forbes article, admit you haven't watched the documentary around the victims, deny it could be true and then ask for the proof you just admitted you couldn't be bothered to watch.

It's beyond dumb to expect people to relitigate an extensive documentary and subsequent elements in a thread, after randomly coming in with the express purpose of denying the victims. Especially after admitting you've shown zero regard for their case and testimony.

I have zero time for people with more concern around defending the honour of a dead rapist than the people they raped.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Life is fleeting, OP. You can acknowledge monsters made powerful art that you enjoy, while still enjoying said art.

If you're concerned about any monetary impact you're making, steal the art.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
It's entirely up to you whether you feel okay with playing music or engaging in any other media made by problematic people. If you feel especially guilty then a charitable donation to a group related to the groups affected would always be appreciated, but again that's all up to you, I don't want to guilt trip you or anything btw, it's a very complex issue

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these people are still alive and I'm not trying to line their pockets if I can help it. They have agendas that are being funded by the money you give them. I'm not saying I do some sort of background check on every piece of media I consume but I will ex creators off my list if they act a fool like Mel Gibson for instance.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
User Banned (1 Month): Downplaying allegations of sexual abuse
I don't believe MJ sexually abused children. I believe he had a non-existent childhood and wanted to relive it in adulthood and was enabled to do it for whatever reason. But certain lines were not crossed.

As to whether I'd listen to his music if I thought he was doing those things...yeah, probably. I don't really think of the person when I hear a song, honestly. Different story for actors who I see when consuming their work. It's weird.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fair game to consume somebody's media if they're dead guilt-free. I can sit and watch Lovecraft-inspired works without a tinge of guilt. I avoided XXXTentacion like the plague after I heard about the abuse allegations, but had no problem listening to his work once he was buried. A part of me is actively waiting for the day Kanye kicks the bucket so I stop getting angry whenever I listen to his (old) music that I liked so much as a teenager.

You set your own rules, IMO

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the Judge just toss the case brought up against him again? I think this was the third time Wade Robson had their case tossed by a Judge.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
But wasn't there also some shananigans with some of the families doing accusing? I honestly haven't kept up with any of this since the 90's

We know for a fact he slept in his bed with young boys and had a security system to alert him if anybody was approaching his bedroom how much smoke do you need? Be honest with yourself and ask if anyone not named Michael Jackson who was accused by children of abusing them would be getting this same Peter Pan bullshit benefit of the doubt based on these two facts alone?

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
I just don't listen it and just find another artist, maybe a new singer, who could appreciate/deserve some attention.

Oct 25, 2017
We know for a fact he slept in his bed with young boys and had a security system to alert him if anybody was approaching his bedroom how much smoke do you need? Be honest with yourself and ask if anyone not named Michael Jackson who was accused by children of abusing them would be getting this same Peter Pan bullshit benefit of the doubt based on these two facts alone?
There's genuinely something fascinating about how fan worship lets people bend backwards shamelessly lol. Taking into account that dude factually used his star status for the sake of having innappropiate relationships with children, the debate is ultimately whether or not one thinks a grown, sane man was justified in those actions. I wish people would just argue from that point instead of (hopefully) pretending like they're okay with adults getting intimate with kids in general, but alas, some folk need something to believe in nonsensically

Nov 11, 2017
I don't believe MJ sexually abused children. I believe he had a non-existent childhood and wanted to relive it in adulthood and was enabled to do it for whatever reason. But certain lines were not crossed.

As to whether I'd listen to his music if I thought he was doing those things...yeah, probably. I don't really think of the person when I hear a song, honestly. Different story for actors who I see when consuming their work. It's weird.
You are delusional or uninformed. There is no doubt MJ sexually assaulted children at this point.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Michael Jackson is a monster, and I don't actively seek out his music, but I'll be damned if I'm not instinctively nodding my head and singing along when certain songs are played only to realize - ah fuck - this dude is a monster and return to my conscious self where I'm changing to a different station / artist / whatever.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So now we're doing "MJ is innocent, actually" takes in fucking 2021? Clowns, all of you

So the men abused by MJ in the Leaving Neverlands documentary are actually liars, awesome.

This "never had a childhood" bullshit was always a joke

Last edited:
That's for you to decide. He isn't alive anymore so the possibility of giving money to a man who will then use it groom and abuse children isn't a factor anymore.

I personally have not intentionally listened to his music in a few years. I don't know if that's a bridge I ever feel comfortable crossing but for now I don't care whether or not I do.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to believe the everyone involved were just fake-crying on camera. Ive seen people claim its "all for attention" and that requires a serious detachment from not only the human experience but also the evidence suggesting this is plausible. You're also suggesting these people are all incredible actors.

MJ's upbringing being rough, or he "didn't have a childhood" isn't the dismissal of accusations you think it is, its more in line with how abuse tends to foster more abuse.

Celebrities are exposed for being abusive all the time, but Michael Jackson for some reason has the most disproportionate amount of people defending him than any other I can think of.

Everyone's level of being able to separate art from artist varies, but personally being able to interpret something like 'We are the World's lyrics as written by a presumed child rapist it makes the song hypocritical and horrific regardless of its message.

Last edited:
It's hard to believe the everyone involved were just fake-crying on camera. Ive seen people claim its "all for attention" and that requires a serious detachment from not only the human experience but also the evidence suggesting this is plausible. You're also suggesting these people are all incredible actors.

MJ's upbringing being rough, or he "didn't have a childhood" isn't the dismissal of accusations you think it is, its more in line with how abuse tends to foster more abuse.

Celebrities are exposed for being abusive all the time, but Michael Jackson for some reason has the most disproportionate amount of people defending him than any other I can think of.
There are very few people I could imagine having this level of good will maintained in spite of all the smoke surrounding him.

His songs were good, yes, but hoooly shit. It makes me sick to the pit of my stomach knowing that his victims had to grow up viewing this christ-like following their abuser had, and still has to this day.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
he's dead. just don't try to justify anything

I see that sort of crap on gaming side for shit like the harry potter game "I'm supporting the devs!"

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
There are very few people I could imagine having this level of good will maintained in spite of all the smoke surrounding him.

I've been enjoying this new anime "Odd Taxi" that's just started, but there's a scene where characters go into a discussion about who was the standout performance in We are the World and I know Japan fucking loves MJ (I experienced this in Osaka) where I have to wonder if he was just so globally prolific that what he might have been as a person is still just treated like nasty rumors and everyone just loves the music to the point where very few people actually care.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I was a part of MJ fanbase for a LONG time, I used to collect stuff of him (still have about 5 big boxes somewhere), go to celebrations, etc. His death made me physically sick.

And yes, their fans are very passionate and it's hard for them to come to terms with it, I don't think any artist comes close to that. I'm over it now and believe the victims, but it took some time as well.

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
I believe he was an abuser, and is guilty of at least inappropriately touching children, and maybe even of much worse. But, given every candid interview I have seen of the man, he was clearly mentally abnormal. He absolutely had what might be called Peter Pan syndrome (and certainly made no secret of his love for the character), and this goes some way toward supporting the argument that what he did to children he did from a place of cognitive innocence and indeed what he believed to be "love". Certainly, he would not have looked back on what he did as malicious. But, was he aware of what he was doing; of abusing his position of power both as an adult and a famous and wealthy adult, and potentially causing lifelong mental scarring to these children? Maybe. Maybe not. Regardless, I feel for those who were damaged by his actions. But I do not see any need to hate MJ personally, or perceive him as a "monster" for this reason.

Intentions and cognitive health matter in how we marshal emotions such as hatred and disgust toward other people, and I think if we can admit an abuser did not choose his fate, we can hate their actions and the consequences of their actions without necessarily hating them personally. Meanwhile, we can still muster just as much sympathy and support for the victims without ever doubting their claims.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I just wanted to say to everyone in this thread who is saying he didn't sexually abuse children (since I didn't realize it's actually this many people):

You're all fucking clowns.

Oct 27, 2017
I still listen to the likes of Bowie, Elvis, MJ and John Lennon, all were accused or alleged of doing awful things. I do separate art from artist pretty easily depending on how much I like the work. Plus, they are dead so they are not getting any benefit.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I believe he was an abuser, and is guilty of at least inappropriately touching children, and maybe even of much worse. But, given every candid interview I have seen of the man, he was clearly mentally abnormal. He absolutely had what might be called Peter Pan syndrome (and certainly made no secret of his love for the character), and this goes some way toward supporting the argument that what he did to children he did from a place of cognitive innocence and indeed what he believed to be "love". Certainly, he would not have looked back on what he did as malicious. But, was he aware of what he was doing; of abusing his position of power both as an adult and a famous and wealthy adult, and potentially causing lifelong mental scarring to these children? Maybe. Maybe not. Regardless, I feel for those who were damaged by his actions. But I do not see any need to hate MJ personally, or perceive him as a "monster" for this reason.

Intentions and cognitive health matter in how we marshal emotions such as hatred and disgust toward other people, and I think if we can admit an abuser did not choose his fate, we can hate their actions and the consequences of their actions without necessarily hating them personally. Meanwhile, we can still muster just as much sympathy and support for the victims without ever doubting their claims.

Every single monster, murderer, bigot etc has a reason for who they are, but we still have to hold them responsible, and in this case promoting their work is absolutely not holding them responsible and its more like most people still don't even believe he did anything wrong. Supporting his work without acknowledging this is fostering apathy.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, it's up to you whether you still enjoy the works of a problematic artists and where you draw the line.

For instance, I'm quite okay with watching classic Polanski films, but won't support him by going to see new Polanski releases.

With music it's slightly different for me as music is usually a more personal outing than film. I tried to listen to some Marilyn Manson recently because I liked quite a bit of his older work, but with the recent revelations I just couldn't.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that a lot of great artists are/were total assholes or even monsters and it's up to you whether or not you are okay with consuming media made by them.

That said, I absolutely cannot stand the people that still defend Michael Jackson and claim the people in Finding Neverland were lying and just looking for attention. If you've watched that documentary and come to that conclusion then sorry, but you are a fucking asshole.