• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Update 6/25/20: subbed a new video. Hope you enjoy it!

Original post 12/26/19:

(Note: this is not self-promotion, the video link is private & there are no ads. I just want to share this in case y'all get some enjoyment from it.)

For Japanese practice and as an extra X-Mas gift, I wanted to try to sub(title) something in English I thought my wife would enjoy. This is the first time I've subbed something.

Here's the video I ended up subbing. It's from an episode of Hajimete no Otsukai, aka My First Errand. It was tricky because I was working from auto-generated Japanese subs that were maybe 70% accurate, and needed a lot of re-timing. I think I managed to figure out most of it, though.

Hope y'all enjoy it. Happy holidays!

Last edited:

Ab4dd0n

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This might be a worse gift than that other OP getting a wine opener even though he's a recovering alcoholic.

/s

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
You set the video to private.
It's private but im curious about it
OP, stop making love to your wife and come back to fix the video. We are waiting.

Thanks all - I thought I set it to unlisted. My mistake. Should be working now.

Is this the series about little kids who are sent off to buy something at the store/deliver something for the first time?

Yes! It's the very same one.

source.gif

Was this her Xmas gift? Ouch lol

I mean, I had to time and translate a lot, and she loves things like this, so it took a considerable amount of time. But no, this wasn't the sole gift - it was one of about fifteen. The rest were tangible except for the greetings from Scott Porter in character as Jason Street (from Friday Night Lights) and from John Noble in character as Walter Bishop (from Fringe).

Do you mean translating? Giving something subtitles? What was it, since we can't see the video?

Sorry, should work now.

I read subbed as "substituted." I mean, I wouldn't put it past ResetEra.

Subtitled, sorry. I watch a lot of J-dramas so I see the term a lot.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
One little bump in case this brings holiday cheer to anyone, then no more bumps, promise.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Subbed one more vid, hope y'all find it as fun, cute and slightly tense as I did!

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Cute video and great job with the subtiles Nabbit!

Keep at it and don't let the often funky results from the autogenerated YT subs dissuade you, they can still be really helpful if you look at them as more of a language puzzle (or a game of telephone you play with the algorithm ;)

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks super-famicom, hope your wife enjoys this episode.

takoyaki great to see you in here, and thanks for your kind words. I like the idea you said of it being a language puzzle. Now I just need to start dressing like Professor Layton.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My wife and I watched an episode of this years ago during one of our trips to Japan. The two kids spent their return train fare on candy and weren't able to get home. The panel was laughing and my wife was mortified.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
takoyaki great to see you in here, and thanks for your kind words. I like the idea you said of it being a language puzzle. Now I just need to start dressing like Professor Layton.
hope it never gets to this point with the autogenerated subtitles ;)
7a6sgk3w.jpg

Btw, If you liked the Layton games and are currently learning the language, I can recommend a replay in Japanese. The games are well-written but with kids in mind so they don't go overboard with rare Kanji or slang. They've always had furigana going back all the way to the DS entries (I think only the very first JP release didn't have furigana but later got a second release that added them in). You can get the first two games on smartphones/tablets for a couple of bucks from the JP App stores and if you need additional motivation, there are three JP exclusive Layton novels that are written in the style of the games (including a handful of puzzles each!).

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I watched an episode of this years ago during one of our trips to Japan. The two kids spent their return train fare on candy and weren't able to get home. The panel was laughing and my wife was mortified.
Aww. I was surprised to find out this show has been running for many years. Here's an episode from what must be approximately an eon ago (not my subs, hardsubbed).

www.youtube.com

Tsuiseki (追跡) - Episode: The First Errand #9

Broadcast on KTSF in the San Francisco Bay Area in the early 1990s. Complete program. English subtitles.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Aww. I was surprised to find out this show has been running for many years. Here's an episode from what must be approximately an eon ago (not my subs, hardsubbed).

www.youtube.com

Tsuiseki (追跡) - Episode: The First Errand #9

Broadcast on KTSF in the San Francisco Bay Area in the early 1990s. Complete program. English subtitles.

I think it might have been back in 2006 on our honeymoon. It was insane, we had no idea what the point of the show was even though I have some Japanese language skills. The poor kids were crying and the panel members were laughing their butts off. We still talk about it fondly.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i didnt even know this show existed, I need to try and watch w/o subs lol

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping so much that she wouldn't put the poop in the bag oh my god lmaooo
That's my favorite part though!

hope it never gets to this point with the autogenerated subtitles ;)

Btw, If you liked the Layton games and are currently learning the language, I can recommend a replay in Japanese. The games are well-written but with kids in mind so they don't go overboard with rare Kanji or slang. They've always had furigana going back all the way to the DS entries (I think only the very first JP release didn't have furigana but later got a second release that added them in). You can get the first two games on smartphones/tablets for a couple of bucks from the JP App stores and if you need additional motivation, there are three JP exclusive Layton novels that are written in the style of the games (including a handful of puzzles each!).

Ha! at the Layton pic. That's certainly what it felt like to (try to) solve some of those puzzles.

That's a great recommendation, thank you so much - especially since DS is region free though JP app stores are probably the cheaper option. Maybe I should go really crazy and play 4-6 like that since I haven't played those entries. Thinking about it with Layton it would be extra tough because the puzzles are already often hard and in this case I'd have to figure out what they even want me to do. I imagine with anything involving math terms it would get extra tricky. But I suppose I could always look up the English version of a puzzle if need be.

I originally intended to play the Ace Attorney games (haven't played any) and I have the JP version of the second DS game. But I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm actually about to start my very first game in Japanese. I've tried a few others in the past but never with the intention of trying to understand what's written. This game will be Starfy (GBA), so hopefully it shouldn't be bad. And I have a copy of Terranigma to play on SFC once I get really proficient. That's a good goal for me to have in mind - as are the Layton novels you mentioned, thanks for letting me know of those! And I would welcome any other game recommendations you think are good for studying the language.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
That's a great recommendation, thank you so much - especially since DS is region free though JP app stores are probably the cheaper option. Maybe I should go really crazy and play 4-6 like that since I haven't played those entries. Thinking about it with Layton it would be extra tough because the puzzles are already often hard and in this case I'd have to figure out what they even want me to do. I imagine with anything involving math terms it would get extra tricky. But I suppose I could always look up the English version of a puzzle if need be.

I originally intended to play the Ace Attorney games (haven't played any) and I have the JP version of the second DS game. But I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm actually about to start my very first game in Japanese. I've tried a few others in the past but never with the intention of trying to understand what's written. This game will be Starfy (GBA), so hopefully it shouldn't be bad. And I have a copy of Terranigma to play on SFC once I get really proficient. That's a good goal for me to have in mind - as are the Layton novels you mentioned, thanks for letting me know of those! And I would welcome any other game recommendations you think are good for studying the language.
In general, whatever motivates you to keep reading is a good pick.

Starfy sounds like a great first game. Nintendo games are welcoming since they make an effort to be accessible to kids. Some titles like Splatoon are full of puns and modern language. RPGs have a tendency to include rarer Kanji (especially in item, attack, spell names) to give those games a more ancient or exotic feeling. I haven't played them in Japanese, but I think the Xenoblade games might fall into that category. I'd instead recommend the Dragon Quest games, they are very light on Kanji usage and the gameplay and story are instantly familiar if you've ever played a JRPG.

Retro games tend to have less text, but it's still a good idea to a quick Google / YT search first and see if you can easily understand the font. At least early on, some older games can be hard to read because of the low screen resolution. Terranigma should be fine, but anything before SNES / GBA is worth looking up first.

Modern games often let you pause cutscenes while the subtitles are still on screen, offer additional subs for minor dialogue or let you pick from a number of fonts. It's always a good idea to check out all options in the settings menu first and see if you can maybe make live a little easier for yourself.

I found that you start to play games differently if you use them as language learning tools or added motivation. The Layton games are written in a polite tone and offer furigana, but as you said the puzzles can be tricky. I don't think there's any shame in using a guide when you don't understand the question and focus on picking up some math or science terms along the way for your flashcards.

It takes time, but the more you play of a series the easier the games become to understand since you slowly become familiar with a particular writing style and the recurring terms. Long series like DQ, Ace Attorney or Layton are ideal for that. I'd say AA is the most complicated out of those three but really fun when you start to understand the wordplay and idioms. And while I haven't played them yet, I can promise you that the Starfy games will become easier to understand from game to game :)

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
In general, whatever motivates you to keep reading is a good pick.

Starfy sounds like a great first game. Nintendo games are welcoming since they make an effort to be accessible to kids. Some titles like Splatoon are full of puns and modern language. RPGs have a tendency to include rarer Kanji (especially in item, attack, spell names) to give those games a more ancient or exotic feeling. I haven't played them in Japanese, but I think the Xenoblade games might fall into that category. I'd instead recommend the Dragon Quest games, they are very light on Kanji usage and the gameplay and story are instantly familiar if you've ever played a JRPG.

Retro games tend to have less text, but it's still a good idea to a quick Google / YT search first and see if you can easily understand the font. At least early on, some older games can be hard to read because of the low screen resolution. Terranigma should be fine, but anything before SNES / GBA is worth looking up first.

Modern games often let you pause cutscenes while the subtitles are still on screen, offer additional subs for minor dialogue or let you pick from a number of fonts. It's always a good idea to check out all options in the settings menu first and see if you can maybe make live a little easier for yourself.

I found that you start to play games differently if you use them as language learning tools or added motivation. The Layton games are written in a polite tone and offer furigana, but as you said the puzzles can be tricky. I don't think there's any shame in using a guide when you don't understand the question and focus on picking up some math or science terms along the way for your flashcards.

It takes time, but the more you play of a series the easier the games become to understand since you slowly become familiar with a particular writing style and the recurring terms. Long series like DQ, Ace Attorney or Layton are ideal for that. I'd say AA is the most complicated out of those three but really fun when you start to understand the wordplay and idioms. And while I haven't played them yet, I can promise you that the Starfy games will become easier to understand from game to game :)
The Ace Attorney games are fantastic for reading Japanese.

The dialogue is wildly different from the English localization, so it's like playing an entirely different game in a sense.

It's super interesting to see how they handled a lot of the word-play and the puns. Like how they translated "Yahari Masashi "to "Larry Butz". The word-play here is that the name "Yahari" is also a word that means "as expected".

So you would have word-play like,

Jiken no kage ni, yappari Yahari
Literal translation: Behind every incident, as expected, it's Yahari. (The "yappari" part is a more colloquial way of saying "yahari")

They localized this to: "When something smells, it's usually the Butz."

And there's like a million more examples of this. It's a super fascinating experience as a Japanese learner, and it gave me a ton of respect for the art of localization.

Last edited:

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
There are three JP exclusive Layton novels that are written in the style of the games
Are you talking about the ones from Shougakukan? I can see one to four there. https://www.shogakukan.co.jp/books/09231241
I'm a big fan of their Detective Conan novels, maybe I should give them a try.

I'm actually about to start my very first game in Japanese. This game will be Starfy (GBA).
In my experience older games can be quite harsh for beginners because they often don't allow you to pause the text and don't come with furigana or voice overs.
Good luck!

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks takoyaki and GYODX for your insights, tips and recommendations. I'll be sure to check the different font settings, too, I hadn't thought of that. I love that kind of wordplay. Posts like yours are the same kinda thing I enjoy learning about on the Legends of Localization site. I can really imagine the Ace Attorney games are wildly different in Japanese just thinking of that famous cartoon about eating hamburgers. I'll be sure to report back with my experiences!

Shudouken I see Nishida Toshiyuki-san! I loved him in Kazoku no Katachi. And he's great on Knight Scoop. Thanks for the well wishes. I will definitely keep that in mind and have my phone at the ready to take pics of any dialogue I can't discern on the fly.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about the ones from Shougakukan? I can see one to four there. https://www.shogakukan.co.jp/books/09231241
I'm a big fan of their Detective Conan novels, maybe I should give them a try.
Hey, didn't know those books existed and will check them out now. Thanks!

The books I was talking about are older and feature the original cast. Each book tells a story similar to a classic Layton game where the Professor and Luke go on an adventure to uncover a mystery. As a huge Layton fan, I found them really charming.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4092897294
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4092897243
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4092897170

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
Thank you for the translations! I saw likewise show on Japanese telly, but didn't understand.