• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
I can empathize with this, even if I don't do the same. It's like when you're reading a particularly engaging book and you see the remaining pages dwindle away. It's the knowledge that the world you fell in love with has to come to an end. So I get it, even if I don't get it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Played it through on the X, finished the game and then went through on the Pro. Getting the Platinum and then I'll play it through again on the X.

Incredibly absorbing experience. Ashtray Maze not being re-playable is a crime, best gameplay moment of the gen.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
This makes no sense to me, in any medium.
Imagine loving a song so much that you skip to the next track before it ends.

Let it go, you'll probably live. (In real life, spoilers tags are on by default.)

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I do the exact opposite if I like a game. I want to see the ending because I want to get the full experience / closure. Then I go back and replay it :)

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Weird, for this game I kind of rushed it cause I wanted to finish it. The atmosphere is super unsettling and not comfortable, so staying in that world (by myself in a house) just made me uncomfortable. Really odd to apply that "don't want to finish it" to this game, I could see that with games that feel comfy.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I've done this a couple of times with some TV shows I've loved that I had started watching after they had already finished. It wasn't a deliberate thing. But I watched everything except the last season or the last half of the final season. I went back to them eventually, but used the time away as an excuse to rewatch the whole thing, and then finally watch the final season/set of episodes that I hadn't seen.

Same. The latest for me were The Boys and a japanese TV Show called business man vs alien.

I binged both shows hard, but last episodes? Nope. It has been almost two months and I'm yet to watch them.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Soo you're not gonna finish a game which has planned story DLC because you don't want it to end?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This is a pretty stupid article, but what's kind of funny is that Control's ending (and postgame) kind of sucks, so in this case they might actually be quitting while they're ahead.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Funny, I was going to make a similar thread before this Kotaku article. Control is one of those super rare games that I just don't ever want to end.

Bioshock 1/Infinite and the Mass Effect trilogy evoked similar feelings for me.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
1wBFbkB.gif

Luckily there's is plenty of DLC coming or way!

If a guy told me this, I would say "You're too deep for me" and then I would ghost him.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished today. Game is fantastic. Ashtray maze is best sequence of the year so far. Can't wait for the DLC.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't relate. I like the catharsis of finishing a piece of media, regardless of its outcome.

The again, I also regularly replay games that I enjoy a lot.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I've definitely been playing Control in short chunks because I want the experience to last longer, so I get where Gita is coming from. It's a fantastic game.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I completed Control twice, then on Saturday I finally started Gears 5.

Finding it VERY difficult to not go back and start Control play thru #3.

I feel sorry for people to whom "the act of discovery" is the be all/end all of playing a game. If I love a game, I just play it over and over and over and over. No doubt the first time through with its pure "act of discovery" can never be repeated, but re-playing and mastering a game you know and love is rewarding in its own way.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I understand the sentiment. I was really bummed out when I exhausted Chrono Trigger's story content, and the epilogue of Red Dead 2 is still waiting to be played.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Eh, I get what they mean.
Part of me wish we still had one more season of Game of Thrones to look forward to. Mixed feelings going into the final episodes.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I do that all the time. Most games I own are 3/4th finished. Their is a small window where a game is good enough for me to keep playing, yet not so good I don't want to finish it.

Games like Just Cause, Mad Max, and DQ Heroes are in that window.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Breath of the Wild in tiny little spurts every couple months for the last year basically for similar reasons. I started nearing the endgame and began rationing myself and focusing on side tasks. I still haven't finished it. Every month or two I dive back in for a couple days and make progress on a few side tasks while ignoring the main task.
Though with BotW2 already in development and Link's Awakening coming soon maybe it's finally time to get it done. Maybe.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
At least this shall work as positive advertisement, a thing any product is welcome to receive.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This makes a lot of sense to me. If it's a game I've been waiting on for a super long time and is a sort of "one and done" kind of experience, I often will purposefully play it slowly. I could go and marathon some game I've been anticipating forever in two days, but then it's over and it's back to waiting for the next thing. Similarly this can happen for a game I super love but are clearly super short experiences.

Like when Kingdom Hearts 3 came out, I tried not to just rush through it, since it'd been so long since I got more of that.
Of course this kind of messed it for me because stuff only happens in the last 3 hours of that game. URrrrrgggh.

Also, somewhat strangely, if it's a game I wanna do a lot of side stuff in, and am enjoying, I'll wait to do a lot of that before I finish the main story. Finishing a game often results in me losing a lot of desire to play the side stuff in it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Had a friend who did this with Ocarina of Time. Just didn't want it to be over, so they stopped playing, which to me just would feel worse since you're leaving something incomplete... and if you ever did come back to it years later, you'd probably forget most of the details that led up to that point, making the end feel not as good as it would have in the moment. Anyway, different strokes I guess, but that just isn't for me. :)

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
As long as there is sequel to look foward to, I don't have this problem. I'm in my second playthrough and I can take it slow and enjoy it even more than the first time. And knowing that there are at least two more main DLCs coming makes it much easier. It would be harder if I knew that was it and I would never explore new places in the Oldest House.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Never really understood this. I like the closure and to see a story through (good or bad) to the end to reflect and get that sense of accomplishment.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah okay, I understand the sentiment. Control produces a pretty specific and perfect kind of mystery that tickles my fancy greatly. This is the only game since ever where I actually read and listen to all the damn collectibles. Not playing the game at all seems like a stupidly dramatic thing to do. But I do understand people who want to live and relish the mystery of the story and setting, and try to prolong any explanation and conclusion as much as possible.