• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, can't agree at all. The 360 D-Pad is awful, it's absolutely terrible. The One's D-Pad is light-years ahead, and I haven't spent enough time with the Series S/X controller yet to determine that D-Pad, but I know for sure it's much better than the 360's. The raised triggers are way more comfortable than the 360's. The controller just melts in my hand, it's absolutely perfect. I prefer the glossy feel of the triggers over the hard texture, but again, I barely spent any time with the Series S/X controller.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
The X360 is super confortable but it has the worst bumpers I've used yet (haven't tried XB1 or SX controllers).

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
3USgt2g.gif

You're right OP. They're going to keep saying shit about the DPad like it matters, but they just don't have access to an official wired 360 pad like we do and they're doing mental gymnastics with their shittier controllers.

hahahhaa you hold this opinion while the Elite and Elite 2 exist? bullshit. i know they have QA problems, but nothing matches the in-your-hand comfort. nothing.

The 360 pad feels better than the Elite, take the L

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
My one complaint with the most recent Xbox controllers is that the shoulder buttons are designed in such a way that it's hard to keep fingers on all the shoulder buttons at once. Maybe I have strange fingers, but when I'm playing a game like Nier: Automata, it's uncomfortable to use RB and RT at the same time.
once you learn to use the shoulders with the side of your fingers, you can't go back

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You're talking crazy, the 360 controller was fantastic but even the base Xbox One controller was an improvement. I also prefer the Dual Shock 4 thanks to its extra bells and whistles (and a preference for the dpad placement).

OP
OP

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
If you mean the Lunar White controller, I don't know where you would have heard that. It's just one of those cheaper feeling launch-era Xbox One controllers with the clicky bumpers and no Bluetooth or headphone jack.
Actually it does have a headphone jack (which I never use) and it also has some sort of rubberized texture on the back which some people like I guess.

For people, who are mentioning the Elite controller - who the fuck is spending $150 on a controller? Pretty sure you can get an Xbox One for less than that. With a controller.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The bumpers are definitely better, and I think I like its size a bit more. The version with the better D-Pad is legit a great controller for all kinds of games. That being said I still prefer the newer ones from Xbox One onwards. The triggers are cool, the face buttons are much less squishier, and the sticks last longer. And also having a 3.5mm jack with headphone support rules.

I will say that I bet most people mentioning the D-Pad have never used one of these:
xbox-360-wireless-controller-w-transforming-d-pad-and-play-and-charge-kit.JPG

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
No way. The Series X controller is significantly better than the 360 controller. It's an extremely nice controller.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I've always liked the shape, but the feel of materials always reminded me of a small plastic water gun. All the 360 controllers i owned had squeaky parts I needed to fix.
I won't argue it's a good feeling controller but it's the cheapest feeling controller of the first party ones. The material feel to me is almost like some Mad Catz controller.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
The one thing I like a bit more about it are the bumpers, everything else feels worse compared to XBO's. You're just too used to it.

U Know Me

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The analog sticks were superior to any controller I have used since. DS4 is close and I'm still not comfortable with the DS5. I'm currently using a elite series 2 which I love but I still feel that the analog sticks were better on the 360.

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
Actually it does have a headphone jack (which I never use) and it also has some sort of rubberized texture on the back which some people like I guess.

For people, who are mentioning the Elite controller - who the fuck is spending $150 on a controller? Pretty sure you can get an Xbox One for less than that. With a controller.
Oh, weird, that does sound like a newer controller, but the ones on Google Images look like the original model.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
The analog stick on all our 360 controllers have become very loose, making them very sensitive and imprecise. So that's a no for me.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
My take is you never played a fighting game with that remote. The dpad just doesn't work! I was stuck with it for a while playing USF4 and I couldn't even block low. It was THAT bad. And then the squeak sound lol. I gave up pretty quickly and found a weird dongle to connect my now 21 year old (still working) psx remote from 2000. I still have that dongle. It's a modded xbox360 remote's main board soldered with some usb adapter to connect the psx remote and it works like a charm.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kind of with you. I always keep my old wired black 360 pad pad around for PC. It's basically the old reliable, easy to plug and play and I know it's going to feel good.

The dpad is awful though but I don't really use it.

Nov 21, 2017
I disagree, because the triggers are too narrow and thus uncomfortable.

There's a reason both the Dualshock 4 and the Xbox One controllers have wide triggers.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The bumpers are definitely better, and I think I like its size a bit more. The version with the better D-Pad is legit a great controller for all kinds of games. That being said I still prefer the newer ones from Xbox One onwards. The triggers are cool, the face buttons are much less squishier, and the sticks last longer. And also having a 3.5mm jack with headphone support rules.

I will say that I bet most people mentioning the D-Pad have never used one of these:

I had two of those and they were absolutely amazing.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Something I do like about the 360 is the bulky home button. The DS4 had a fairly nice chunky one too. I dislike the Dualsense having a smaller one because it's hard to get your thumb on it, imo.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

This was definitely the best iteration of the 360 pad and the one I use to this day when I get my 360 out (very rarely). The d-pad was miles better but was still weird. It felt like it was about a cm above the rest of the pad.

Always loved the monochrome face buttons.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Back when the One launched, I thought the same thing.

But after using the One controller for a while, the 360 controller feels like a knockoff controller.

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
I 100% agree.

The things that matter most to me, face button quality, the triggers and the height of the analogue sticks, is best on the 360 controller (although I haven't tried the Elite 2 with the adjustable stick height, but that shouldn't be a non-standard feature).

They should offer a refreshed variant with the modern features.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I still have two wired 360 pads for PC gaming. I guess I agree with you, OP. None of the controllers in subsequent generations changed things enough to be worth an upgrade imo. I switched to Sony pads after 360, so I could get a touchpad and gyro. But the 360 pads are still good enough I have no reason to toss them.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
People saying the 360 bumpers are better makes me wonder how bad the XB1/SX bumpers actually are, because holy shit the ones from X360 were terrible in comparison to the DualShocks.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
There was a similiar thread a while ago and I pulled out my old pad and nah I can't agree at all
I disagree, because the triggers are too narrow and thus uncomfortable.

There's a reason both the Dualshock 4 and the Xbox One controllers have wide triggers.
I remember playing some racing game on the 360 pad and I had to switch gas/break every now and then because the finger holding the gas down started to hurt lmao. It's like Dreamcast syndrome, hated those triggers

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017

I loved that thing. I still think the XB1 dpad is better but that one was good enough. I haven't tried a Xbox Series controller yet.

Jun 2, 2019
I wont mock anyone's preferences (My favorite controller ever is the gamecube controller, go figure) but honestly, i can't say i agree.

Back then i got an Xbox 360 controller so i could stop using TOCAedit and it wasn't exactly comfortable, my hands would cramp using the triggers for a decent amount of time (Racing games) the bumpers were uncomfortable and the sticks wore out excessively fast. Bear in mind that i'm not even speaking about the D-Pad, i had a Dual Shock 2 for 2D games so it was all fine.

The Xbox One controller was a notable improvement and the Xbox Series controller feels almost like its ultimate evolution. At least in my opinion.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
People saying the 360 bumpers are better makes me wonder how bad the XB1/SX bumpers actually are, because holy shit the ones from X360 were terrible in comparison to the DualShocks.

There are quite a few revisions of the Xbox One controller which all feel slightly different. I've never used the original version, apparently they weren't very responsive unless you pressed them in a specific place. They fixed this with the 3.5mm jack/Elite version, but the new bumpers were held together by a cheap piece of brittle plastic that was prone to snapping. And finally, they got it right with the Bluetooth version.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I still use my 360 controller on PC and it holds up well today, something the DS3 simply doesn't do despite many at the time claiming they we're both good or DS3 was better.

Xbox One pad was just a refinement of the 360 one and didn't feel the need to upgrade and the later versions have too much talk of poor build quality to even consider.

I do prefer the DS4 over the 360 pad though when possible. Games like AC Odyssey support DS4 very well.

Not held a Series X pad, seems again a slight refinement over the Xbox One which was slight over the 360. DS3 to DS4 really was bad to great. I'd have to be really impressed by the Series X pad to replace the 360 one.

BranCrackr

Oct 4, 2019
I haven't been a fan of the face buttons from the One onward. Seems like the contacts under them don't register the best unless you're pressing dead centre. A big pain since I'll frequently press the button edges when I'm switching between them a lot.

Don't remember this at all with the 360 controllers

Dec 21, 2017
Preach, preacher!

And that bulking battery pack too? Nah dawg...
I used the wired variant that whole gen, so it was a none issue for me.

I haven't been a fan of the face buttons from the One onward. Seems like the contacts under them don't register the best unless you're pressing dead centre. A big pain since I'll frequently press the button edges when I'm switching between them a lot.

Don't remember this at all with the 360 controllers

I've never had this issue. Seems same as 360 in my experience.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Quite frankly, the 360 controller has one of the worst d-pads ever put on a controller. Ever. The later iterations are much better in that regard.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Quite frankly, the 360 controller has one of the worst d-pads ever put on a controller. Ever. The later iterations are much better in that regard.
I'm torn. I hate the dpad on the new controller but think everything else about it is incredible. I would say the Xbox one x controller is probably the best one they've ever made.

I also hate the share button on xsx

Orfax

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I hate the 360 controller because of the dpad. I even have and hate the silver one with the converting dpad. They are just shit. I much prefer the xbox one controller. It does feel a little creaky but its so much better than the 360 controller.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
These are things I care about in a controller:
- A good d-pad.

So no, it's actually terrible.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Yes, I said it. The 360 controller is better.

At first, when I got the original Xbox One (that dumb machine with the ginormous power brick that plays current games at like 240p resolution), I figured it would just take a little to get used to. But after all these years, I'm sorry, these new controllers are worse. I even have the Lunar controller, which people say is the best version.

The 360 controller is so much more comfortable. I've been using my wired controller for the PC for over a decade. It's better because:

- The analog sticks are not made taller for no reason. They made the sticks taller and they aren't as good.
- The bumpers are not stupid clicky buttons that are the worst.

And it feels smaller and just fits better.

So what say you? Am I talking crazy? (Of course I'm not.)
From the pictures I looked at, the Lunar White Controller is still based on the original VCR Xbox One controller design. The Xbox One S (white version of this is called Polar White) and Series S|X controllers fix the bumper issue.

And outside of the version of the 360 controller that had the transforming D-pad, the D-pad is pretty bad on the 360 compared to any of the follow up controllers.