• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
The 360 controller feels cheap and awkward compared to the Series controller.
The d-pad on the Series controller is the best feeling d-pad I've been used.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
360 was a great controller for its time but has been outdone.

Series X is the best controller out there right now. Only downsides are the lack of haptics, dpad while awesome is loud and doing circles on the sticks feels gritty.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm indifferent to that, all the Xbox pads from S-pad onwards have been nice to use.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
While I don't have a wired 360 controller to compare to my Xbox One controller (I do have the wireless ones though, which are great and I actually like the battery hump on the back), I feel as though it is worth pointing out that the Xbox One controller actually got a mid-gen refresh around the time of the Xbox One S that has less stiff triggers, more clicky shoulder buttons, less stiff shoulder buttons and slightly more protruding shoulder buttons. This slight change (alongside adding Blutooth and a headphone jack) is honestly enough to make it a much better controller than the base Xbox One controller and to be equal with the 360 controller.

The 360 controller is a great controller and I do really like the smaller size and slightly better shoulder buttons, but I just really love the shape, feel and ergonomics of the second gen Xbox One controller. I have to imagine that the Series X|S controller with the improved D-Pad, more protruding and clicky shoulder buttons and slightly smaller size will be perfect for me.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
No way.

Series X pad is insanely comfortable and feature rich. In comparison to the 360 controller:
- it has better ergonomics,
- the Dpad is infinitely better (best Dpad ever imo, and 360 is almost the worst ever here haha),
- the plastic textures overall are much better,
- the buttons all feel better to press with tighter response and more solid clicks,
- the triggers have better travel and resistance, as well as vibration motors in each which is great for certain game types
- the input latency is lower,
- the joysticks have better clicks and more grippy rubber grips,
- it has a headphone jack where 360 doesn't,
- it has a share button where 360 doesn't,
- it has the far superior USB-C connection where 360 doesn't,
- it has optional bluetooth connection where 360 doesn't,

It's absolutely no comparison here, whatsoever

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like certain aspects to the way the Xbone controller felt (compared to the 360 one), and the DualShock 4 was downright uncomfortable for me at points. It wasn't until the Elite Series controller that I was ready to move on. I've also really enjoyed 8BitDo's SN30 Pro+ controller. Now if only I could get a controller that combined the best of the two (gyro & paddles).

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, no.

I used the 360 controller on PC/360 and it was my preferred controller over the DS3. XB1 was a better revision, XS controller better too (love that dpad) not to mention the elite controllers are amazing for the five minutes they last before falling apart in your hands.

No!

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
The 360 controller is honestly pretty awful and has one of, if not the worst Dpad in controller history. The Dpad had a ~5-10% chance of just not registering a button press, seriously. You may as well pretend the Dpad didn't even exist on the controller, using the stick for platformers and old school games was better, that's how bad it was. That stupid thing made me absolutely hate Ori 1.

The Series X controller is probably the best (overall) native supported dual stick PC controller you can buy because:
No way.

Series X pad is insanely comfortable and feature rich. In comparison to the 360 controller:
- it has better ergonomics,
- the Dpad is infinitely better (best Dpad ever imo, and 360 is almost the worst ever here haha),
- the plastic textures overall are much better,
- the buttons all feel better to press with tighter response and more solid clicks,
- the triggers have better travel and resistance, as well as vibration motors in each which is great for certain game types
- the input latency is lower,
- the joysticks have better clicks and more grippy rubber grips,
- it has a headphone jack where 360 doesn't,
- it has a share button where 360 doesn't,
- it has the far superior USB-C connection where 360 doesn't,
- it has optional bluetooth connection where 360 doesn't,

It's absolutely no comparison here, whatsoever

Yeah, all of that. I'm so glad I upgraded to it when the cord died on my 360 PC pad (I used it that long and it sucked the whooooole time).

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
It was better than the launch Xbone controller, but it's a hard disagree for everything else, they really have improved on it.

OP
OP

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
To all the heathens that disagree with me:

- 99% of people don't care about d-pads, myself included

- the 360 controller cost HALF THE PRICE of the new controllers

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who progressed through OG > 360 > One > Series

Nope. Series is superior in every way.

Also, I just found out the other day that you can plug in a Series controller on PC with a USB-C cable and have it work flawlessly without any batteries.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think I still like the shape of it more. I use a 360 pad on my PC.

The dpad was unreliable, but I didn't mind it (or got used to it). I played a LOT of 2D fighters on my 360, so yeah. I actually thought the X1 dpad was worse, I never liked that thing.

Series X controller is overall the better controller of the three.
(I haven't used any elite controllers, and haven't used the OG Xbox controller in too long to remember)

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't like the bumpers on the first version of the XBO controller but the revisions since then have fixed that issue for me. 360 controllers feel so cheap holding them now, the sound of the spring (or whatever it is) when you press the triggers is horrible.

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
I'd agree if you were talking about the wired version specifically. But the battery bump on the wireless version made that thing pretty uncomfortable for me after a while. I started noticing my fingers digging into it.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
I honestly felt like every change for them was an improvement on the previous one. Minor tweaks that improve what was already the best controller at the time. 360 was the first console where they took the lead controller wise for me.

Honestly wish Sony would steal the shape and layout and just add their features to it. I like that the Switch Pro Controller feels like it was based of an Xbox controller.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I hate that d-pad with a passion. Also find the Series controller immensely more comfortable. Love the grips they added.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

I'm one of these people too. I've been gaming since the mid 90s and I don't think I've ever used a d-pad for any extensive amount of time. Joysticks are far back as I can remember, or M+K. Joysticks have just been completely irrelevant buttons to me.

That being said, I'm with everyone else in that they've only gotten better with every iteration.

That being said, I'm currently playing through Persona 4 Golden on PC with a 360 controller.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
The 360 controller is honestly pretty awful and has one of, if not the worst Dpad in controller history. The Dpad had a ~5-10% chance of just not registering a button press, seriously. You may as well pretend the Dpad didn't even exist on the controller, using the stick for platformers and old school games was better, that's how bad it was. That stupid thing made me absolutely hate Ori 1.

Yep, the d-pad is so bad that it isn't even reliable enough to be used as an extra set of buttons. Even if you ignore all the games that use the d-pad for movement, it's still a hindrance in other games where it's used for important functions like switching weapons.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm being honest, I liked the OG Xbox Controller S more than I liked the 360 controller, I'm weird though. XBO and XSX controllers are better all around though and don't have that dumb backpack battery lump, and that's better before you even mention anything else.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Great controller. However, having the worst D-Pad of all time completely removes it from the conversation of best ever controllers.

99% of people don't care about d-pads, myself included

If you don't care about the many, many games that are best played with a D-Pad then it is pretty hard to take your opinion seriously.

Oct 25, 2017
To all the heathens that disagree with me:

- the 360 controller cost HALF THE PRICE of the new controllers
Dpads are very important to me since I play a ton of fighting games. However, I will say that I thought the Xbox One dpad was fucking garbage for fighters from day one and I was astonished that there was a ton of people that thought otherwise and said it was better than the 360 dpad. Haven't tried the Series X controller with any fighting games yet. I feel like it should definitely be better though.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Dpads are very important to me since I play a ton of fighting games. However, I will say that I thought the Xbox One dpad was fucking garbage for fighters from day one and I was astonished that there was a ton of people that thought otherwise and said it was better than the 360 dpad. Haven't tried the Series X controller with any fighting games yet. I feel like it should definitely be better though.

I think it must have been fixed when the Xbone's controller was refreshed with the release of the S, because I found it adequate for Killer Instinct. I didn't use the very first generation of the Xbone controller, but it's utterly astonishing to me that such a massive, glaring, broken facet of the 360 controller's design wasn't fixed. I'm guessing the new design introduced a new problem that got tackled with the mid-gen refresh.

The 360's D-pad was one of the console's many hardware problems that slipped by as it was rushed to market. It was actually designed so that the lip of the hole in which it sat prevented the directions from being correctly depressed; thus fucking up the inputs it registered. A common mod which fixed it completely was to take the controller shell apart, and sand down the plastic around the D-pad hole.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
DFU6WyzXUAEzhep.jpg

WTF!

Considering that the Xbox Series controller is just a 360 controller with a good d-pad, I disagree.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL

Same. I sold my Elite v1 and got the Shock Blue XSX controller - the d-pad is a night and day difference in terms of feel!

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Over 90% of my gaming time is spent on games that either don't use analog sticks or are best played with d-pads or other digital input devices.

360 controller is forever trash.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
The 360 had great controllers for its time.
However, the Xbox One controller revised on it and was an improvement.
And the Series Controllers are some of the most comfortable and sleek controllers i think I have ever held.

Holding all 3 generations of these controllers one by one really makes you understand the differences in how they sit in your hand. You dont think the 360 controller feels bulbous and awkward until you hold a One Controller. And then, you hold a Series Controller, and the One Controller ends up feeling really bulbous and awkward.

neemmss

Oct 27, 2017
1000%. Best controller and still has yet to be rivaled in terms of comfort in my hands. Never used the dpad so don't really have the issue most of you have with it.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
a new 360 controller for 3D focused games that don't require much use of the d-pad = GOAT

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll hard disagree. The 360 was the start of something special and Microsoft just kept making it better and better and better.

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. it was nice for it's time, but it feels really cheap in comparison to the Xbox One controller.

Can't comment on the Series controllers as I haven't used them.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
With the improvements on the dpad that both the XONE and the XS X|S I can play games that I would never touch on the 360