• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
Must be horrible if you havent got fast internet luckily I have 350 meg with Virgin so downloads are so quick that I can hot swap a game in effectively aboit an hours time.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's so fucking annoying.

Why can't I just store games on an external? I'd be fine if it just meant having to move them to the main SSD to play em.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
I'm okay with the specs for the price we got. I do understand it's frustrating for some people and hopefully the SSD update will come sooner rather than later.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Must be horrible if you havent got fast internet luckily I have 350 meg with Virgin so downloads are so quick that I can hot swap a game in effectively aboit an hours time.

Data caps also an issue. I finally gave in and forked over the extra $30 to Xfinity (our only broadband option at our house) for unlimited as it was just tough staying under the 1.229tb cap with some 4K streaming and downloading more and bigger games with space constraints, Gamepass etc.

They should at least make it like XSX were you can park next gen games on an external Drive and just move them back to the internal to play to help out people with slower internet and/or data caps.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
I've never had an issue with storage, just deleted games once i finished playing them.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I have a 4tb for PS4 games, which is cool, but I've basically had to delete one game every time I get a new PS5 title.

It's definitely annoying, I just don't want to think about space management on any console. I want to buy a 2tb internal expansion yesterday.

Deleted member 25671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are there recommended external SSD's to get? I have to admit after that initial scare about externals and the PS5 I just never bothered with it. Sounds like it's pretty okay, but do certain ones work better with the PS5 than others?

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've got a load of data tied down under other, and it's annoying it won't tell you what exactly it is...

It's doubly annoying as someone with mediocre internet. It takes me almost a day to download some of the larger games these days. Consequently uninstalling isn't a super great option really.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I wonder if Sony is just worried about sticker shock with the NVMe options? Microsoft fell on that sword a while ago with the $220 for 1 tb option.

Maybe all the current hardware channel issues due to COVID have Sony waiting until they can offer compatible hardware at a lower price point? I've got no idea.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
It's really not insane when you consider the prices of pcie 4 M.2 SSDs. Yeah the size will require more frequent storage management, but prices have been going down and eventually larger drives will be standard.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I finally beat Cold War and deleted it so hopefully I'll be ok for a while.

I haven't been limited to so few games downloaded ever though.

I've had an expanded hard drive ever since my first PS3. I even had a 2TB SSD for most of the time I had my PS4.

I have found that switching to disc based games has helped. It does seem like most games are actually on the disc and not just a key to download other than Cold War.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
At least there's an extra M.2 slot in the console you can use to expand the storage.

Oh wait.
I think we expected to be able to use the SSD expansion bay or to be able to store PS5 games on external drives.

I'm fine with limited on-board storage but they need to open up the two optional expansion methods that we all just assumed we'd be doing.
I wonder why it is taking them this long to come up with a solution?

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Why do so many people defend Sony on this issue? "You only need two or three games". "How many games to you actually need to play?" "Why don't you delete the games when you are done?"

How I game or how many games I have in rotation is not anyone's concern. Sony can easily permit PS5 games to be stored on external memory (not run - stored). Microsoft is able to do this so why is Sony so hesitant when it is such an easy fix? And if it is not an easy fix, say so. At least mention that a solution is being worked on.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Why people still don't get that they put smaller drives in to keep the RRP down amazes me.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
The space available on XSX is 800 something GBs. Not bad considering the 600 something on sony's console.

Thought it was less cos of quick resume? Microsoft have more money to take the hit anyway. Not everyone wants to pay over ÂŁ500 for a console, and people that want extra storage can buy it.

Edit, 802 vs 667. So not THAT much difference

ka13b

Dec 17, 2020
Why people still don't get that they put smaller drives in to keep the RRP down amazes me.
I think we understand this. What is frustrating is that there are no approved aftermarket ssd solutions yet available. If I'm faulting Sony for anything - it's that they haven't clarified anything surrounded the prexisting expansion slot, nor have they provided a timeline for when we might expect movement on this issue

Oct 27, 2017
It's a situation like the switch cart spaces where I think it's a bummer but users need to understand cost limitations. Devs could ship games on 32-64GB carts but then have to pass costs onto consumer, thus adding $5-$10-$15 to games

same for PS5 SSD. The 825GB running at 5GB/s will change how games are made and will be something we can't see living without once more next gen only games hit. But it's likely $75-$100 per unit, maybe 1/4 of the total cost of the system. HDDs in 2013 were like $30-$40 per unit for PS4 and Xbox One.

it's a necessary trade off for innovation. You can add cold storage for PS4 games, and yes we should have a list from Sony of SSDs that can go into the slot but we just have to live with it for now. It will get better, and I'm sure as costs come down the SSD will get cheaper and can see slim model shipping with 1TB in 2023

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
It's really not insane when you consider the prices of pcie 4 M.2 SSDs. Yeah the size will require more frequent storage management, but prices have been going down and eventually larger drives will be standard.

It makes sense as to why it's this way I think the issue most people have is whether launching with a meager amount of storage while not having a plan for expansion ready at launch was the right move from Sony when people are already filling that storage up. Time will tell if going with the faster storage and customer storage controller will pay off.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
The only game I deleted so far is bugsnax, I've got a few games I probably won't be playing anytime soon and 3-4 PS4 game from my backlog installed if I decide to play them next, and still a few hundred GB left.

Hope they push out the internal SSD update soon, but ridiculous is greatly exaggerated. I don't play CoD so that helps.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care if it cost $250 I neeeed a 1tb expansion. I have a bunch of go-to games I don't wanna uninstall and they don't leave much room for new stuff.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
It makes sense as to why it's this way I think the issue most people have is whether launching with a meager amount of storage while not having a plan for expansion ready at launch was the right move from Sony when people are already filling that storage up. Time will tell if going with the faster storage and customer storage controller will pay off.

Oh for sure, as a consumer looking at that available size makes you think we've gone back to 2013. You're right in that time will tell as far as what they bet on. So far the differences seem imperceptible to the naked eye. I think the classic case of only exclusives showing what it's truly capable of is what we're looking at again.

sdefresne

Sep 19, 2020
France
This is why I really want game-streaming to take off.
Hundreds of games, zero installs, and no worries about storage space whatsoever.
Unfortunately it seems like we aren't there yet, either in terms of infrastructure, or peoples attitudes towards game-streaming itself.

Shame, because I get the feeling this generation is going to end up limping over the finish line, mostly due to storage issues.

Streaming will require probably more bandwidth and data cap. Many of the people complaining about the storage also say either bandwidth or data cap are a problem for them.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I'm at the point where although I can't update Warzone's horrendous file sizes I now can't update a couple of hundred MB's for Gran Turismo Sport, even though I have many GB's available.

This is trash.

ProtossX

Jul 24, 2020
The storage space is the least of my concern with the ps5 it needs good fun games. Thats enough space for me.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
People are constantly bringing up the poor storage of the PS5, and while I agree, the Series X doesn't have much more at 1TB.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
People are constantly bringing up the poor storage of the PS5, and while I agree, the Series X doesn't have much more at 1TB.

I think the point is, at least the Xbox has options. The SSD expansion card or a regular HDD for cold storage of next gen games that you can swap in and out. Not to mention the Xbox doesn't do the weird thing of needing substantially more space than the actual size of the download.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Streaming will require probably more bandwidth and data cap. Many of the people complaining about the storage also say either bandwidth or data cap are a problem for them.
For a while last year, I was getting home from work at 5pm, and either streaming YouTube or Stadia non-stop until 11pm. My monthly data use was somewhere between 800-900mb.
That was at 1080p, and I'm the only person in the house, so if you have a partner and 4k TV those numbers will obviously go up. Still, it was a lot lower than I was expecting, and could be workable depending on what your data cap is (I live in the UK where we don't have them).

One of the advantages of streaming is you never end up pulling down data 'redundantly'. That is, downloading an update that you end up never using before the next one comes along.
Depending on the size of your games library, streaming could, weirdly, be less data-consuming than downloading. It depends on your use pattern of course, so I'm not trying to say it would work for everyone, at least not right now.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's pretty bad, although I have yet to hit the internal drive limit. But I do want to play all my PS4 games on it now because it's cool not having to deal with PS4's terribly slow and sluggish OS. Might just connect my PS4 external 2TB drive to the PS5, won't be as fast as internal but will probably still be a better experience on the PS5.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I still can't get over the PS5 having been out nearly four months and Sony STILL doesn't have any expanded storage solutions, nor have the provided any updates or information about it.

Last edited:

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't get over the PS5 having been out nearly *six months* and Sony STILL doesn't have any expanded storage solutions.
Any sufficiently fast SSDs on the market yet? Edit: can't help but feel I'd probably not choose to expand anyway because the cost will probably be comparatively astronomical.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm the first angry about this. I made a big thread one month after launch. But ... nearly 6 month ? It's actually 3 month

You're right, I'm an idiot and can't count or remember dates correctly. For some reason my brain was telling me the PS5 launched in Oct and not Nov. I'll get that updated straight away!

Any sufficiently fast SSDs on the market yet? Edit: can't help but feel I'd probably not choose to expand anyway because the cost will probably be comparatively astronomical.

I believe there are a handful that match Sony's internal SSD speeds. I'm just perplexed that Sony didn't plan to release their own, partner with any 3rd parties, or provide any info to consumers outside of vague "soon" commitments, particularly with such a paltry storage size & extremely questionable external storage support.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
An hour's time? That's not a hot swap, that's a cold snap.

Haha each to thier own. I am talking about a full ~50gb install of course this much much lower if lets you launch the game earlier. I'd ussually have a look prior to playing and let if download while preparing dinner or taking a shower etc knowing it will ready as i'm done.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The most consumer-friendly way is letting people open the console themselves and installing any drive they want. But it seems now this may affect temps and fan noise.

Xbox putting out an expensive proprietary expansion card is not as consumer friendly, but it's plugin and play. No noise or heat.

I can see frustrated people just preferring the Xbox solution to the PS one.

DoktorAkcel

Aug 30, 2019
The most consumer-friendly way is letting people open the console themselves and installing any drive they want. But it seems now this may affect temps and fan noise.

Xbox putting out an expensive proprietary expansion card is not as consumer friendly, but it's plugin and play. No noise or heat.

I can see frustrated people just preferring the Xbox solution to the PS one.
Well, you can technically open up Series X/S and replace the SSD, but there are no system images for partitioning/restoring just yet, and you'll probably void your warranty while doing so. And it's not easy.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I only have a few retail PS5 games installed right now. The rest I finished, deleted and sold on. I've downloaded some PS4 upgraded games that are sitting waiting for their turn.
Got more than half space still. I'll be fine until that M.2 support update.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of options right now for Series X (ie use older SSDs for storage, new memory cards), no options for PS5. Ontop of the reserved space needed for installing games which brings the usable space down even further then the 667GB being mentioned. It's a significant difference, all things considered.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I can understand doing that for the sake of marketing, but I'd love for future console revisions or future console generations in general to allow for customizable storage straight from the console manufacturer. I'd gladly pay a premium for a 4TB internal SSD. Just make it part of the pre-order process, with the default option being the base configuration and anything else being "custom-built" with more storage at a higher cost. And maybe allow people buying in at the premium costs to "get in line" to receive a console (first come, first served) instead of having to wait for the next random inventory restock online.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
yep messing with storage every week. Especially when trying to keep Warzone, Modern Warfare and Cold War all installed.

How big is everyone elses "other" Section? think mine is like 85 GB. Sure would be nice to know what is in their and how to reduce it.

SnoopyK

Jan 27, 2018
My other is over 80 GB, has to do with PS4 games installed I think you can decrease it by installing most PS4 games on the external. Some have said rebuilding database helps to , I haven't bothered because I have too many PS4 games installed I want to beat. Decrease record video setting to lowest also.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cold War and Warzone/Modern Warfare are cancer to PS5 storage at this moment