• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'll side-eye anybody who dismisses this issue to the shadow realm. It's a huge problem and every day that passes without word on expansion compatibility frustrates my friends and I to no end. Nothing screams no perspective more than "just install what you play it's not a big deal" in a world with varying tastes within family and friend groups. I play various MP games with my friends, my dad, and my sister. I'm not going to uninstall these games because we still can't expand our fucking storage. In a world with free to play, games as a service and offerings like PS Plus and its Plus Collection - the amount of storage Sony has available to us months in is pitiful.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
As annoying as it is for us early adopters, in the long-term it will probably be a non-issue.

There's enough space for a good selection of games to be installed at once, and in the future there will be storage upgrades available for those who want it, and hopefully file compression makes things more manageable.

Hasn't bothered me too much so far. Just a minor annoyance that I can't keep all of my games installed, but I can live with it.
Yep, this is how I feel too.

Is it annoying? Sure.
Can I manage for now? Absolutely.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I haven't found I've had to spend a lot of time managing it. If I'm done with a PS4 game on there I move it to my external, if I'm done with a PS5 game I don't see myself returning to for some time I delete it. It's not a big deal. I'm typically only playing at most three games at a time and I don't need my entire library on there.

It's certainly a relatively small amount of space in 2021 and Sony messed up by not having PS5 games able to be stored on External drives to be copied back later as needed but it's nothing outrageous.

I don't know what you're doing to have to spend so much time managing space.

Oct 29, 2017
My problem is not really the space but the way it handles updates.

A 200 Mb GT Sport update was released. I had to have 50Gb of free space.

I was livid.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
After spending an entire gen with the base ps4 storage amount. I think I'm the kind of person that won't run into many issues this gen.

I will say that not having the internal ssd situation ready at release was bad.They should really get that working asap.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I haven't run into issues with mine yet (Xbox is my main platfom, so my PS5 is mostly exclusives and PS+ games) but the lack of an option for cold storage seems egregious this far after launch. I can see why it might take a little longer to get the M.2 storage situation sorted, but not being able to copy PS5 game files to an external is wild

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
It's like just enough space to be annoying to me. Even having the extra ~200GB of space that the 1TB PS4 had would be so much better, especially with the way Sony requires you to have extra free storage when downloading/installing and updating games.

Between the aesthetics of the PS5 and its base storage size, I don't think I've ever looked more forward to a mid-gen console refresh.

Last edited:

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
I delete games on regular basis now. There are 5 to 10 games that I always play or rotation. Beyond that, I have room for maybe two more games, and they keep getting deleted.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I'll side-eye anybody who dismisses this issue to the shadow realm. It's a huge problem and every day that passes without word on expansion compatibility frustrates my friends and I to no end. Nothing screams no perspective more than "just install what you play it's not a big deal" in a world with varying tastes within family and friend groups. I play various MP games with my friends, my dad, and my sister. I'm not going to uninstall these games because we still can't expand our fucking storage. In a world with free to play, games as a service and offerings like PS Plus and its Plus Collection - the amount of storage Sony has available to us months in is pitiful.
You're in the minority of the userbase because it's pretty clear that most people play one or two games at a time and maybe focus on one MP game... For now the only thing can do is limit yourself. It's not a problem for the vast majority of the userbase.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It is ridiculous, made only more ridiculous by the fact that you can't use an external drive for cold storage of PS5 games.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You're in the minority of the userbase because it's pretty clear that most people play one or two games at a time and maybe focus on one MP game... For now the only thing can do is limit yourself. It's not a problem for the vast majority of the userbase.
Yeah it really is not. I think I have like 6 games Installed. It's only a problem for people who play more than 10 PS5 only games at once. Idk if there are even 10+ PS5 games someone is playing at once in the 4 months it's been out. and on top of that expansion SSD will alleviate that this year.
1TB isn't even enough for my PS4 :/
There are thousands of PS4 games. There are maybe at most 100 PS5 only games. All PS4 games should be on an external that goes up to the max TB they allow.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I don't know about anyone else but I like to keep all of my digital games installed, except for those I know I'll never play again. I also play a lot of arcade-style/replayable games, so I'm never really done with those. This is one of the reasons I'm going to wait on this gen. In a few years, storage will be bigger/cheaper.

Half an hour every few weeks really doesn't sound like a huge deal to me.

If you only have a few hours per week to play, it's a huge deal and a huge frustration.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As annoying as it may be with the PS5 it is definitely a bit frustrating that both consoles do this. Would be better for the consumer to make it 1.5TB storage to give gamers 1 whole Terabyte of storage minimum. Thankfully they allow us to use a secondary drive for storage atleast.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I hate the lack of transparency on the "other" portion of the HDD. Mine is still over 100 GB and I've moved all my PS4 games to external.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
The two games below would lead me to believe this is way more than a minority issue.
Anyone that doesn't have space issues clearly doesn't play Warzone or NBA 2k
This. And I get some people will tell folks to put Warzone on an external, and fair, that's an okay solution. But if you're playing the next gen version of Call of Duty and NBA 2k - which are extremely popular games, I'm sorry I really don't think space issues are a minority problem. These are two of the most popular games on the platform and between the two of them you're looking at close to 350gb of consumed space. That, to me, is the very definition of a problem. And I can't really seem to understand why folks would like to dismiss it as a niche issue when it's not, you just probably don't see that casual audience yelling about it anywhere besides Facebook, I can tell you right now my dad isn't coming here to post on ResetEra about his hard drive issues. Everybody that I personally know with a PS5 has had to make concessions and has had an issue with file size or the way this thing handles updates. The most popular games in the world are fucking gigantic and this thing doesn't allow us to do anything about that besides limit ourselves and seemingly that's okay because people on a forum think the majority are not annoyed with it. There's no reason to defend it at all.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but there also isn't much we can do about it.

And for all the people in the thread saying "just delete all your games when you finish playing them": I don't prefer to do that. Digital rights issues make me wary of deleting anything lest my ability to redownload it vanish overnight because the publisher's rights ran out or someone decided to pull a Konami. Yes, it's unlikely... but not unlikely enough.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I agree, but there also isn't much we can do about it.

And for all the people in the thread saying "just delete all your games when you finish playing them": I don't prefer to do that. Digital rights issues make me wary of deleting anything lest my ability to redownload it vanish overnight because the publisher's rights ran out or someone decided to pull a Konami. Yes, it's unlikely... but not unlikely enough.
This is simply the price we pay to be early adopters. There is no doubt that having an SSD was the best way to go, but SSDs aren't cheap. People buying in 3 years from now would probably be getting twice the SSD space that we have now.

Either way, this all goes away the second sony enables that internal SSD space, even if its just for cold storage PS5 games.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
"Just delete all your games when you finish playing them" is the Don Mattrick response.

The storage on PS5 is sad no other way around it.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The "only have the game you're playing installed at a time!" Thing is also incredibly stupid because lots of people share their consoles (with significant others/roommates/siblings/kids/etc) so should they also be forced to only play the same game(s) as you? Lol

I haven't personally hit any storage issues yet because I have all my PS4 games on and external drive. But given how my friends and I like to hop between a variety of multiplayer games (fighting games in particular) I'd definitely run out of space quickly if that wasn't the case.

It's weird that people are defending it, it's a straight up fuck up by Sony. I dislike the proprietary nature of MS's solution but MS's solution also actually exists soooo

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
I'm in two minds about the issue. On PS4, I had an internal 2TB drive that was about 80% filled. I played only a handful of those titles.
On PS5, my internal storage is about 75% full of PS5 games (+ Destiny 1) and I have a 1TB external drive that is about 90% full of PS4 titles.

I'm pushing up on the limits of the storage that I have and yet I know full-well that most of the titles I have installed will rarely - if ever - be played.
I think if I didn't have an external SSD, then I probably would be really annoyed with the storage options, as trying to store PS4 and PS5 games on the internal SSD is definitely going to be a tight fit.
That said, I'll be buying a 2TB internal SSD for the PS5, the instant that there's a compatible one available for ÂŁ150 or less. At which point, I will go back to having a drive that is 80-90% full of data that I will likely never use - *just in case*.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It would not be right for me to complain about it. When I switched to SSD on PC, I had to make sacrifices in term of space or be utterly broken financially.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I bought the PS5 for the SSD; I'm not installing PS4 games on an external myself.

I personally don't have a big issue as I have gigabit and the PS5 seems to have a faster PSN connection (like Sony is reserving more bandwidth for us or something, at least for now), but it's still a really poor showing.

The lack of ability to swap games in/out of cold storage is just sort of mindblowing.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I play sports titles with friends, warzone/cod with others and am playing through FF7R. Yeah...I could use the internal drive like yesterday haha. Going to have to get crafty with downloading the Outriders demo haha.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Had it since launch day, no storage issues thus far, but I also don't have fairly reasonably speedy internet without caps. If low storage was the compromise for decent pricing then it worked out for me, but understandably others might be feeling it more

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
It is small, and it needs to have the ability to upgrade which it will, however I haven't personally had any issue with it, I don't keep games I am not playing installed, and it downloads so much faster than the PS4 that it isn't a problem overall for me yet.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
So far I've been mostly okay just deleting stuff I don't play. Still have nearly 200 gigs available. If I played CoD with any regularity though I'd be kinda boned lol.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The copy/install/update process makes it count for even less. I had to delete 40 gigs to download a 435mb patch.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be able to work with the limited storage if the update situation wasn't so messed up and requires like 10x (I'm exaggerating) the space of the patch to install.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Cod is the only reason this is an issue for me. That game is ridiculously large. I cant see why either. Doesn't seems like it's doing anything to require THAT much fucking space.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020

I was livid.
Because t's not a PS5 game. PS5 games don't do this because they can rely on the SSD for instant seek.

PS4 games need to be patched by copying because it would otherwise add expensive seeks on the PS4 HDD.

Just put your PS4 games on an external drive.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Its not great but there aren't too many ps5 games I'm interested in yet and I send the ps4 stuff to external. In a few months time I will start to feel the crunch.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
It's really terrible especially if you put PS4 BC games on that. Also, Sony's external drive support is pretty damn bad. It's unstable, and of course rest mode with external drives is complete crapshoot.

Kashibaba

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 takes a full video + screenshot when you get a trophy (on ps4 it was a screenshot only), so make sure you turn that feature off and delete all the videos which were taken with the trophies, because they take a lot of space (15GB for me, probably it will be more if you got more games+trophies).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Because t's not a PS5 game. PS5 games don't do this because they can rely on the SSD for instant seek.

PS4 games need to be patched by copying because it would otherwise add expensive seeks on the PS4 HDD.

Just put your PS4 games on an external drive.

My Destruction Allstars updates still do the 'copying' thing. I don't know if they require bonus space to download them (I have enough free) but I absolutely had to wait for three times as long as it took to download the last one as it copied.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's not good. I need to get an external for the PS4 games, but I've been having to manage my capture gallery a lot more. I let it get to over 100gigs on ps4 and simply cannot do that on the ps5.

I was livid.

I hated this on PS4 and it's very annoying to see it return here.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I'm constantly running out of room too. Although this may only be a problem for a minority of people, it's probably the people who are buying the most games. It's in Sony's best interest to keep us happy.

I imagine we'll get news of compatible internal drives soon. And I can't think of any technical reason why we can't get a cold storage option on USB drives either.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
Only happens on Ps4 native games but yes it's annoying....also a bummer ps5 games can't be moved to an external cold storage. Both internal and external are about to max out for me

kxSbDET.png

DUoYkd7.png

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
My Destruction Allstars updates still do the 'copying' thing. I don't know if they require bonus space to download them (I have enough free) but I absolutely had to wait for three times as long as it took to download the last one as it copied.
This is weird I didn't notice this on any of my games yet, maybe it's on a game-by-game basis.

Copying a game would require maybe 30 secs to a minute so it would be quite noticeable if a game were to use the old system to patch. Every patch of GTSport takes about a minute on the PS5 SSD but that's the expected behaviour.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Seemed obvious from the get go. It was handwaved away by noting SSD speed would reduce game sizes due to reduced need to duplicate files. But I don't think its clear this has happened

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Considering they shipped this thing at $399/$499, I'm not all that concerned about the limitations. I do have a 5 TB external hooked up for my PS4 games. I'm just hoping they allow to transfer PS5 games to it.