• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, it`s pretty bad. I have only 40 GB left and I haven`t even installed all my PS5 games.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
It's a joke. 500gb was arguably on the small side when PS4 launched and we had games hovering around the 50gb mark. And here we are 7 years later. File size of individual games has tripled in some cases and we can't even store them on external storage.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Still have no idea what the "other" space is. I heard it has something to do with number of PS4 games installed?

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
SSD upgrade possibilities needs to be addressed within the first half of 2021 and preferably activated in that time-frame as well.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I havent had to uninstall a game yet... Have you tried only installing games you are actually playing?

Yeah this is problematic when you play a bunch of Multiplayer games and have multiple single player games on the go at the same time.

I have a few groups that all play different things COD, Warzone, Apex, Fortnite, Wreckfest, Multiple Fighting games, RDR 2 Online, GTAV Online, A Way Out, Fifa. Couple that with the single player stuff I'm currently playing Nier Automata, Control, Dishonored 2, Hitman, Monster Hunter World and it's pretty easy to run out of space.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm a "start game > finish game > uninstall game" kinda guy so I'm yet to run into any storage issues with it. I'm sure in the future I will though...but hopefully by then they support cold storage of PS5 games.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I've got that and a Series X and, touch wood, it's not been an issue. Probably because I've got most of my PS4 titles on an external HDD and the previous generation got me into the habit of deleting a game when I was certain I'd finished playing it on my PS4/XB1.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember jim ryan mentioning in an interview this isn't an issue for alot of people, which worries me they don't take it as priority. Maybe we get lucky and hear something today.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
It's related to PS4 games installed on the SSD, main reason why I maintain my PS4 library in a external drive.

Not exactly, PS4 games installed on an external add to the internal other storage as well. If you disconnect your external drive and then browse the internal storage it actually temporarily breaks them out from other storage so you can see how much each externally installed game is using on the internal (it varies between maybe 10MB at the smallest and 1GB at the largest per game).

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I will probably do it like always, delete the game once I finished it.

I kinda refuse to buy more storage just to make it more convienent for me. Wasted money.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Could be worse, could act like an Apple product and charge you 300-400% premium for space improvements. At least we can fit a few games on it.

Ginusagi

Nov 14, 2020
Portugal
I'm afraid of buying external storage for my ps5 while there's so many reported cases of crashes and other issues
Did they patch most of those problems by now? Is there something I should know before I go shopping for a ssd? (or hdd, I don't know if there's a huge difference while playing ps4 games)

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
It's a momentary phase, in a couple of years this will only be a bad memory, pun intended, and we'll have plenty of space on bigger SSDs.

I had a 20Gb PS3 and yet I still survived and upgraded the HDD later down the road.

Aug 14, 2020
As annoying as it is for us early adopters, in the long-term it will probably be a non-issue.

There's enough space for a good selection of games to be installed at once, and in the future there will be storage upgrades available for those who want it, and hopefully file compression makes things more manageable.

Hasn't bothered me too much so far. Just a minor annoyance that I can't keep all of my games installed, but I can live with it.

teenaxta

Feb 13, 2021
I often feel that these consoles should have included a fast thunderbolt port for viable external storage. 600GB is nothing

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
It's ridiculous and I can't see how anyone would say otherwise.

In an age of constant deals, the massive appeal of a digital library, and all the buzz around fast SSDs, it's a damn shame there's no way to expand the poor internal memory, made many times worse since Sony won't allow external cold storage for PS5 games, which is frankly absurd since competition has been doing since launch.

It's another area where MS is much better served with a bigger (and expandable) SSD, with no penalty to loading times so far, plus cold storage support.

Having Spiderman/Miles Morales/Astrobot for my kid, my 2 multiplayer games (COD//Fifa), a racing game (Dirt5) and my story game (Valhalla), that's it for storage. Of those, the only one I can comfortably delete after completing is Valhalla. It's a damn hard balancing act and honestly probably the one thing that makes me question my purchase.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony should release those compatibility lists asap.

I personally don't have any problems with the size of the ssd. But i also only install games i want to play.

With even big downloads taking only a few minutes to finish i don't need more space in the near - medium future.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
This is why I really want game-streaming to take off.
Hundreds of games, zero installs, and no worries about storage space whatsoever.
Unfortunately it seems like we aren't there yet, either in terms of infrastructure, or peoples attitudes towards game-streaming itself.

Shame, because I get the feeling this generation is going to end up limping over the finish line, mostly due to storage issues.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah might differ by a bit depending on the mysterious "other" section but 586 avaliable gbs for games in 2021.

I feel like I spend half an hour every few weeks managing space. It's just absurd and thankfully I have fast internet but for those who don't? Yikes.
Half an hour every few weeks really doesn't sound like a huge deal to me.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
It's ridiculous and I can't see how anyone would say otherwise.

In an age of constant deals, the massive appeal of a digital library, and all the buzz around fast SSDs, it's a damn shame there's no way to expand the poor internal memory, made many times worse since Sony won't allow external cold storage for PS5 games, which is frankly absurd since competition has been doing since launch.

It's another area where MS is much better served with a bigger (and expandable) SSD, with no penalty to loading times so far, plus cold storage support.

Having Spiderman/Miles Morales/Astrobot for my kid, my 2 multiplayer games (COD//Fifa), a racing game (Dirt5) and my story game (Valhalla), that's it for storage. Of those, the only one I can comfortably delete after completing is Valhalla. It's a damn hard balancing act and honestly probably the one thing that makes me question my purchase.

You may think its ridiculous but you do need to be realistic about the situation. They've chosen to use cutting edge storage technology - and whether or not that was the right decision versus going with last generation NVME storage like the Xbox remains to be seen - but the reality is that cutting edge is expensive.

We know the expansion slot is there, we know there are NVME drives out there which should meet the minimum specs so this is largely going to be a moot point in a few months time. Yes it's inconvenient now but I think I'd rather take this storage management pain now so that we can see how the benefits of having this super fast storage play out over the course of this generation. It's just a matter of being patient while they sort out enabling it (also something something global pandemic).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
SSD's are expensive! im not sure what people expected?

I think we expected to be able to use the SSD expansion bay or to be able to store PS5 games on external drives.

I'm fine with limited on-board storage but they need to open up the two optional expansion methods that we all just assumed we'd be doing.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
I actually believe the 500GB SSD is enough when more developers use the kraken compression.

Just look at Control Ultimate Edition. The PS5 version is 24GB while the Xbox Series X version is 42GB.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, i havnt had to delete anything myself yet to make space, but i havnt really played that many games on my PS5 either. I agree that the internal space on the PS5 can quickly be filled up though, so hopefully the M2-drives for PS5 will be available soon. I think that will solve much of the space issue.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just install what I'm currently playing. Could it be bigger, yes, is it a problem for me, no.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
If they have the same shit going on as on PS4 where I couldn't install a 4,5GB patch with 120GB of free disk space than it's beyond ridiculous.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah it's annoying, I'm constantly having to rearrange / delete / reinstall games. I tend to jump around between multiple games, which exacerbates the issue. However with my 1TB SSD on PC I've got 15+ games installed with room to spare, whereas on PS5 I'm lucky if I can squeeze 5 games on there.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I don't have an issue so far and the download speeds are so fast that I can delete and download anytime. I have now:
  1. Sackboy
  2. Valhalla
  3. Legion
  4. Astro
  5. Allstar
  6. Hitman 3
  7. FIFA 21
  8. Spider-Man remastered
  9. Miles Morales
I don't think anybody needs more than this to have at the same time haha

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a PS5 yet mind you but I don't really find this a bad thing.

I personally find this encourages me to beat the games I have installed rather than have a big abyss of games that make me think a lot of what to play.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I'm dealing with a 360GB Xbox Series S my dude. lol
I do use a 480GB external SSD drive though. I'm sure Sony will release a update to support cold storage.

TwiceNightly

Dec 13, 2017
The 'other' space, as others have said, is used by the PS4 games installed on your PS5 internal SSD. It seems to be about 20% of the install size of the game roughly, for example RDR2 is 110gb on the SSD and takes about 22gb of 'other' space too on top of that.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Ideally, they would have had M.2 expansion available at launch and the ability to move games (not run) to the external HDD.

However, it has only been a few months since launch. I feel like PS4 took years to support an external HDD.

I don't think the M.2 would be overly difficult for them to implement, it is probably more the case that creating a QVL with the compatible drives takes time or they don't feel it is worth it with so few drives passing their internal spec requirements.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's really annoying now but it'll get better. PS5 games should take up less space, both because the games themselves are smaller and they produce no "other" data, and when the external storage slot gets enabled. I think what's there will be perfectly fine for a vast majority of people.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Sony should really get on ironing out the issues with cold storage at least.

That said, I've been managing pretty well with 500 gigs on my PC. Got like 40+ games installed right now, including a few bigger ones (Hitman 2, Nier: A, MCC, Kiwami 2).

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
This and the massive size is why I am not interested in PS5 until the first revision.

What happened to the idea of letting you install only parts of games? I can do it on Xbox although the implementation isn't great; not all games have it and often, like on Gears 5, I have to install everything and then delete chunks from the game's menu, so you still need to clear space in the first place.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
got an update for black ops. Now it's 188gb

i got a seagate ssd on both my serie x. Internal is already full but I have a lot of games

on ps5 i have a dozen which isn't bad but it's painful to see ONE game taking 188/667gb of storage. It's more than 1/4 of the total storage for a single game. That's insane. I'll finish the SP and delete it. It's ridiculous. And Sony need to release ASAP a solution for this as well

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Total non issue for me. I have a 2TB external SSD for PS4 games. There's tons of space left on the internal. By the time it does become an issue, the NVME expansion slot will be available.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Its ludicrous that PS5 still has no way to cold storage games. Xbox at least launched with that so you could shuffle stuff around if you need, can't even do that on PS5. Delete or nothing.

Its a triple whammy on PS5 because of the way saves, trophies, progression, etc is done. Virtually every game has seperate downloads for the PS4 and PS5 editions, so you can't just switch between the two as you feel like.

Right now its not horrible, but as more and more games get PS5 patches it creates an interesting dilema: do you just play the PS4 version so you can play off external drives if you need, or do you play the PS5 version knowing if you start running out of space, you gotta delete your game and reinstall it later...