• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Ever think that maybe in a time of worry, people don't want to think that their government is actively trying to cause them harm?

Ffs

What.

Bad Governments in times of crisis absolutely actively try to harm people. Because bad governments do so in normal times too.

Look at Trump and the GOP, look at Brazil.

Like it helps no one to give bad actors the benefit of the doubt at a time so extremely sensitive.

That's the worst time to put faith in shitty people

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This government has spent a decade demonising and fucking over the poor, sick and disabled.

Nothing is beneath these shower of cunts

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Are we living in a world where there has been political costs for anything the Tories do? From NHS cuts, police cuts, austerity, the shredding of disability benefits and mental health support, Windrush, Grenfell, supping with Neo Nazis, general sexism/homophobia/transphobia/racism, fucking Borris, the brexit clusterfuck, to them approaching a global pandemic crisis with herd immunity?

Even if that was literally what happened and the papers leaked dipshits would still just brush it off as a conspiracy.
I just wonder what those criticising the people saying this is deliberate by the tories, actually think is behind all of their actions?

We have countless examples like you listed of them doing everything to harm the most vulnerable in this country, examples of them showing their true colours by teaming up with far right people, writing their own extreme beliefs and being caught, people who have worked with them coming out and saying it was clear they don't give a fuck about poor/disabled/BAME people and yet it's apparently too far to speculate that they will use any political opportunity they can to hurt these same people?

Either those defending the tories or at least chastising those who believe this is deliberate are completely naive or are just the worst bootlickers around.

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
my anxiety is going through the roof right now. Me and my family are self isolating as most us have underlying health conditions. Not adding much to the discussion so I apologise. Think I'm just going to stop watching the news or reading anything on this anymore. Just gonna read my books, watch films, listen to music, play playstation and my piano. Stay safe comrades. I HATE THE TORIES!

Last edited:

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Has the government announced if they will give compensation to those affected in case they announce the closure of public places like restaurants or bars?

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Better question - when is Dodgy Boris going to show his face?

Put the f***ing country into lock down.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
So good news is I wont get sanctioned with my Universal Credit for self isolating. Bad news is my dad has started feeling unwell.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
We've had so many absences today we're probably going to have to shut before the government gets around to closing schools.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
they're obviously referring to your conspiracy theory that the Tories "are VERY clearly using the virus as an opportunity to make that happen. Peoples lives are being used as a weapon with which to kill the service".

The fact that you shifted the goalposts to them broadly underfunding and curtailing the NHS shows even you know it couldn't be defended.

The fact you really think there's a difference is honestly baffling. I guess they aren't killing the NHS they're just cutting the arteries and letting it bleed out, openly privatising what they can bit by bit. I dont really get where you're seeing death by a thousand cuts as an upgrade.

Theres no shifted goalposts. I'll be very happily surprised if more privatisation doesnt follow this.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
So while the UK is free to do whatever plan it wants to go with - does it mean they will be continuously exporting infected people to other countries?

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still at work today. Boss says "there's no reason to change what we're doing right now".

However he has cancelled his meetings in London this week because "I don't think I should be commuting there right now".

Me sitting there with my train commute every morning like :|

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Some people are going to eat this up as "it's working!!!" when in reality the cases are probably doubling each day.

The failure to test everyone is straight up negligence.

That's why you under test if you're an evil shit who doesn't actually care and just wants to look good ... which of course is the textbook definition of Boris.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Some people are going to eat this up as "it's working!!!" when in reality the cases are probably doubling each day.

The failure to test everyone is straight up negligence.
I don't think they will because the death toll tend to be what hits breaking headlines and the like and sadly we're currently on a exponential curve.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I think it's still a bad idea even with unlimited ICU beds. If the virus passes through 60% of the population, it could end up mutating into a stronger virus that would be harder to find a vaccine for. Herd immunity is an extremely flawed idea. The government is just being cheap and lazy.

It's going to do this anyway and over a much longer period. The approaches are different because the questions are:

Do you infect 80% of the population over 2-3 years or do you infect 80% of the population over 6-12 months. Through changing seasons and possible mutations.

The longer period is obviously preferable, but what measures do you realistically take for the next 2-3 years. That's the logistical question.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't football matches getting suspended a decision made by the FA (the sport's governing body) rather than a ban by the government? If rugby is continuing that's because the RFU hadn't made a decision to stop it, not because of any government action.
I had to point out I was being facetious last week immediately after I posted that. It's the same situation here in the states- private leagues make their own decisions. I used to live directly between Murrayfield rugby stadium and Tynecastle (Hearts) so I was always extremely aware of the crowd differences. But I wasn't seriously suggesting this was the government.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
That's why you under test if you're an evil shit who doesn't actually care and just wants to look good ... which of course is the textbook definition of Boris.
If the government starts bragging about how few new cases they have then you might have a point.

Testing every possible case is a waste of resources at this point.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
If the government starts bragging about how few new cases they have then you might have a point.

Testing every possible case is a waste of resources at this point.

It really isn't a waste of resources at all. You need to know as much detailed information as possible, so you are better able to understand and deal with this.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
First time I see this figure
145062_1584259832_2834.png
Quite scary considering how Italy has fared so far with twice as many beds as the UK and despite taking actual measures to slow the spread.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't a waste of resources at all. You need to know as much detailed information as possible, so you are better able to understand and deal with this.

How does getting someone with mild symptoms to come out and get tested (using up the limited testing/healthcare resources and potentially infecting others in the process) really benefit us over just making them self isolate until they're no longer infectious?

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Are we living in a world where there has been political costs for anything the Tories do? From NHS cuts, police cuts, austerity, the shredding of disability benefits and mental health support, Windrush, Grenfell, supping with Neo Nazis, general sexism/homophobia/transphobia/racism, fucking Borris, the brexit clusterfuck, to them approaching a global pandemic crisis with herd immunity?

Even if that was literally what happened and the papers leaked dipshits would still just brush it off as a conspiracy.

Yeah, complaining about "conspiracies" doesn't work well when we have a government that has been caught actively engaging in conspiracies to harm "undesirable" groups multiple times in the past.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Don't they usually release the number of deaths with the number of new cases?

What's that number?

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't they usually release the number of deaths with the number of new cases?

What's that number?
www.gov.uk

COVID-19: track coronavirus cases

Dashboard showing statistics on cases of coronavirus and deaths associated with coronavirus in the UK, updated daily.

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards

Daily confirmed cases: 330
Total cases: 1,391
Total deaths: 35

(this actually seems to be a bit behind the new numbers but it's the governments site)

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding self-isolating and the over 70s, and any potential lockdown for everyone, what will happen to people with dogs who need to be walked/exercised regularly? It would cruel to keep them locked up in doors and it could have a massive toll on their health. Not everyone has a garden.

Would taking a dog for a walk in a local park or just around the corner while maintaining strict social distancing be okay or not?

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Regarding self-isolating and the over 70s, and any potential lockdown for everyone, what will happen to people with dogs who need to be walked/exercised regularly? It would cruel to keep them locked up in doors and it could have a massive toll on their health. Not everyone has a garden.

Would taking a dog for a walk in a local park or just around the corner while maintaining strict social distancing be enough?
I have heard that people in Italy with a dog are allowed to leave their home .

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
Estimated cases would be a handy number as it gives an idea of the level of risk. Last week the upper estimate was 10,000 which is 1 in 7000 of the UK population. That's acceptable risk for me and doesn't change my behavior, but presumably the ratio is going to change for the worse.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
the actual case is probably something like confirmed cases x100.
This is the number used by doctors here,in France.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017

Would taking a dog for a walk in a local park or just around the corner while maintaining strict social distancing be okay or not?

I know we're not exactly following the rest of europe but what can the Italians and Spanish do?

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
How does getting someone with mild symptoms to come out and get tested (using up the limited testing/healthcare resources and potentially infecting others in the process) really benefit us over just making them self isolate until they're no longer infectious?

I'm not saying people should go out and get tested if they have vague symptoms that they think might be Coronavirus. I'm just saying we aren't even doing anything close to that. If we have some kind of information of how much is out there, the rate of spread and where, then we can better prepare(although I doubt our government could even manage that anyway). I mean even if its not useful now it would be useful for future virus spreads(at least some other countries are attempting some science). The way it is now we have a Tsunami headed for our health system we don't really know how big, or when or where its going to hit.