• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
It sounds like a "heroic choice" by Boris, the sort of thing that turns your average, run of the mill Prime Minister into the stuff of legend, another Churchill.

Assuming it works. If it doesn't, it'll just be a lot of dead people that might have survived if the UK had just done what has worked in China and others.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020

Lol, lock up the olds

this is literally what I said they should do

People over 70 will be instructed by the government to stay in strict isolation at home or in care homes for four months, under a "wartime-style" mobilisation effort by the government likely to be enforced within the next 20 days.
It is part of a series of measures being prepared by the prime minister, health secretary, chief medical officer and chief scientific adviser to prevent the health service from "falling over" and to save lives as Covid-19 becomes an epidemic in the UK.
Other measures already being planned include:
  • the forced requisitioning of hotels and other buildings as temporary hospitals;
  • the requisitioning of private hospitals as emergency hospitals;
  • temporary closure of pubs, bars and restaurants - some time after next weekend's ban on mass gatherings;
  • emergency manufacture by several companies of respirators that would be necessary to keep alive those who become acutely ill;
  • the closure of schools for perhaps a few weeks, but with skeleton staff kept on to provide childcare for key workers in the NHS and police.

• They are deeply worried that some older people will simply die at home from neglect, after they are quarantined, so want to start the quarantine as late as possible - some time within the next five to 20 days.
    The prime minister Boris Johnson and health secretary Matt Hancock are counting on neighbours and friends to rally round to make sure no one is neglected. "We are looking for a huge community effort," said a source.

The prime minister's adviser, Dominic Cummings, has also initiated conversations with Uber and Deliveroo about taking food to the old and vulnerable when they are put into forced isolation

• "Everything is aimed at making sure the NHS is not overwhelmed, to save lives and to prevent hideous choices having to be made," said a source.

Plans are also well under way for doctors to give consultations to patients quarantined at home by video links over the internet.

Last edited:

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
why are we even throwing terms like 'herd immunity' around when there's no vaccine? that seems like malpractice.
I think that the idea is that the virus will only truly slow down when 60-70% of the people are immune. Due to the fact that 1 sick person will spread the sickness to around 2.3 others. Using a calculation model with the basic reproduction number that says 1-(1/2.3)=0.57, in other words that more than 57% needs to be unsusceptible to infection to prevent sustained spread.

Though if everybody gets sick at once the hospitals can't treat everyone's at risk, so I'm not saying that it's the best method.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
this is literally what I said they should do

And the fact that the Tories are doing it should tell you everything you need to know about how abhorrent it is.

It won't do fucking anything except lock all the elderly up who will then be stuck alone dying of an illness that they still catch because they get it from their care workers.

Lockdowns only really work when everyone is doing there part of it, not just the elderly and vunerable, because you still need to stop the people they have to interact with from getting the disease en mass too, whether that is family or care workers. Simply put, without a vaccine, this strategy will never work without a huge and likely otherwise avoidable human death toll.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Their plan is no isolation. No infection control. Let everyone get it and let's move on.
It's not a plan to save people. That would be isolation, massive investment in NHS for equipment and staff and then a controlled release.
[…]
Reduce transmission ... after everyone has been infected. Don't end up with intense pressure on the healthcare systems at once ... buy spreading the infection as much as possible.
People love to take quotes in isolation but you should watch the whole press conference if you have not already.
This is where the most relevant part to our discussion begins:

Their plan is to try and have controlled stages of infection/spread.
  • Phase 1 is to keep children in school, have people continue working as normal, allow younger people to convene at sporting/musical events, and only self-isolate if they show symptoms. This is spreading the infection among the "low-risk" group.
  • Phase 2 in the next few weeks, presumably once the rate of infection gets over a certain level, is to isolate entire households if anyone shows symptoms. In theory that should mean everyone in the household gets it, but are not out spreading the infection to more people and may be better able to help themselves than heading to the nearest hospital.
Now you've developed a sizeable group of people that are, in theory, going to be immune to it; while minimizing disruption.
I'm not saying that I agree with it - I pointed out several things that seem flawed with this approach in the post you replied to.

Their line of thinking seems to be that isolating the at-risk groups of people right now when chance of infection is low means they will get fed up of it and head out by the time things are at their worst - almost guaranteeing infection.
I don't necessarily agree with it. I think people will be able to handle being cooped up at home for a few extra weeks rather than considering the risk to be acceptable right now.

At least that's my understanding of the approach.
Again: I am not saying that I agree with their plan. But it's a bit more than "let everyone get it and let's move on".
If you believe that the best approach is to have the population develop an immunity (as they do), this is probably the most controlled way that you could do it, outside of a total lockdown.

OP
OP

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
There are plenty of places we can set up new care homes. It's not like we use phone boxes for anything else these days.
Have you any experience at all with the current state of care homes in this country, because they're really really bad and the government's talking about letting them slack off a bit.

Sarcasm. I am smart! Also all the phone boxes are cashpoints now.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Have you any experience at all with the current state of care homes in this country, because they're really really bad and the government's talking about letting them slack off a bit.
I was being flippant in a gallows humour kinda way. Sorry I fucked it up. I know the care system is a disaster.

edit: it's fine. It can be hard to tell the difference when people are being genuine shitheels all over the place.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My grandad lives in a residential care home I just wonder how exactly people who need daily help are suppose to self-isolate.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
If people aged over 70 are in "strict" isolation does that preclude relatives providing stuff for them, provided they don't meet in person?

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
My grandad lives in a residential care home I just wonder how exactly people who need daily help are suppose to self-isolate.

you would have restricted access, visitors would be restricted to only authorized healthcare workers who we hope are taking proper precautions. Also residents would be restricted from each other if showing signs of infection. A lot of nursing home plagues are from dirty little children or family members with highly infectious diseases visiting the sanitized care homes. Source: Father is a nursing home director and in geriatrics for 25 years.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair to the government I'm glad I got a cold and the flu once and since then have never caught either because I am completely immune to them for the rest of my life, after having them once. That's how this works right?

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
why are we even throwing terms like 'herd immunity' around when there's no vaccine? that seems like malpractice.
If you look at the other human corona viruses (Common cold, SARS and MERS), the human body generally develops are very poor or no immune response profile, that's not to say it is the same with Covid-19, just that the chances are slim.
again, vaccines and herd immunity work on the exact same basic biological principles:

vaccines contain a portion of the virus and is designed to create an autoimmune response to that virus. Saying that contracting the virus you would develop no immunity would literally be the same as saying the vaccine provides no immunity as it's based on the same premises of your body developing a natural autoimmune response.

Oct 31, 2017
What I'm wondering, my sister lives with my Nan and Grandad, both are over 70, she can't just move out and has work, so can't be isolated for 4 months. My grandparents can't just move to a carehome either.

Yeah, something similar for me as well. If this is actual policy it seems incredibly half baked and implausible. So about right for this government

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
What I'm wondering, my sister lives with my Nan and Grandad, both are over 70, she can't just move out and has work, so can't be isolated for 4 months. My grandparents can't just move to a carehome either.

that's correct, but also a great example of why circumstances like this are easier to manage in a case by case basis. This will not be the same for everyone and will be a smaller target you need to find unique accommodations for.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
My gran is 90 and lives alone, doesn't have any carers other than her family. Should we just leave her to die alone or what?

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
People love to take quotes in isolation but you should watch the whole press conference if you have not already.
This is where the most relevant part to our discussion begins:

Their plan is to try and have controlled stages of infection/spread.
  • Phase 1 is to keep children in school, have people continue working as normal, allow younger people to convene at sporting/musical events, and only self-isolate if they show symptoms. This is spreading the infection among the "low-risk" group.
  • Phase 2 in the next few weeks, presumably once the rate of infection gets over a certain level, is to isolate entire households if anyone shows symptoms. In theory that should mean everyone in the household gets it, but are not out spreading the infection to more people and may be better able to help themselves than heading to the nearest hospital.
Now you've developed a sizeable group of people that are, in theory, going to be immune to it; while minimizing disruption.
I'm not saying that I agree with it - I pointed out several things that seem flawed with this approach in the post you replied to.

Their line of thinking seems to be that isolating the at-risk groups of people right now when chance of infection is low means they will get fed up of it and head out by the time things are at their worst - almost guaranteeing infection.
I don't necessarily agree with it. I think people will be able to handle being cooped up at home for a few extra weeks rather than considering the risk to be acceptable right now.

At least that's my understanding of the approach.
Again: I am not saying that I agree with their plan. But it's a bit more than "let everyone get it and let's move on".
If you believe that the best approach is to have the population develop an immunity (as they do), this is probably the most controlled way that you could do it, outside of a total lockdown.

Keeping children in school and having parents go to work means the elderly will get it too. Everyone who needs anything from anyone else will get it.

The NHS isn't ready for a fast spread. Nowhere near ready. Not in the slightest, and that's what they've allowed to happen with a complete lack of control, weeks after the infection has been spreading.

The only humane solution now is as tight of a lockdown as possible, as fast as possible. The real numbers are probably in the 10s of thousands by now if not 100s.

Add to the care in a manageable way after the lockdown. Then, slowly releasing parts of the population where care is available.

That takes too long. It's too much work and it costs too much. They aren't even competent enough for that.

They'd rather have a cheap but cruel shit show. Only now are they giving advice for the elderly to isolate. After getting an onslaught of backlash from scientists who didn't buy their herd immunity bullshit as a strategy and saw it as the parrotable distraction catchphrase that it was. Tories were forced to see the weakness in the defense of their strategy - no protection for the vulnerable.

Last edited:

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
The press in this country continue to surpass themselves.

Moving swiftly from defence of the government policy, to defence of the U-turn in 24 hours.

Even supposed satire outlets like 'Have I Got News For You' putting out stuff like 'Barry from Wigan disagrees with the government approach, what an idiot'.

The entire journalist and media class seems to exist only to hold the public to account. They support and placate the rulers.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
again, vaccines and herd immunity work on the exact same basic biological principles:

vaccines contain a portion of the virus and is designed to create an autoimmune response to that virus. Saying that contracting the virus you would develop no immunity would literally be the same as saying the vaccine provides no immunity as it's based on the same premises of your body developing a natural autoimmune response.

Again, from the article you posted yourself, and from "someone much smarter" as you said:

Many public health experts were expecting more dramatic interventions yesterday, says Helen Ward at Imperial College London. The talk of herd immunity is worrying and a distraction from the important vital goal of flattening the peak of the epidemic, she says.

"It's very strange to use this [herd immunity] as a strategy for control without a vaccine," she says. Even if older people are protected, it will still see millions of more resilient people hit by a severe disease.

Basically, word for word exactly what I've been saying for all my posts in this thread. Just took 10 minutes of skimming pubmed for papers on herd immunity to see it was a useful by-product of vaccination. Not remotely a sound strategy for infection control. Their goal was infection spread. And now they're backtracking a little. But not enough.

We're not smarter than Europe and every other country. We're just gullible and trust the man on TV with a suit and tie giving us a buzzword to repeat.

Last edited:
OP
OP

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
The entire journalist and media class seems to exist only to hold the public to account. They support and placate the rulers.
British media is awful, even the passable bits. The Guardian's US branch wrote an open letter to the British lot asking them why they were being such transphobic dicks, and the wider British media landscape is basically "what if fox news... was all of it."

No, it's not as bad as fox, but there's no significant alternative media like there is in the us, just a mass of hate that occasionally squabbles about precisely how disabled you have to be to not be called a scrounger.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
The press in this country continue to surpass themselves.

Moving swiftly from defence of the government policy, to defence of the U-turn in 24 hours.

Even supposed satire outlets like 'Have I Got News For You' putting out stuff like 'Barry from Wigan disagrees with the government approach, what an idiot'.

Uk media is a joke no wonder the population is full of idiots when the news they get is so crap

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Again, from the article you posted yourself, and from "someone much smarter", as you said:

Correct, this isn't about preventing illness, this is about preventing Deaths!!
We don't have a vaccine and can't reliable determine when we will get one. We can't perpetually lockdown the entire population until a vaccine is found. Our systems will collapse and mass hysteria will set in if we attempted something like that.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales

There's no vaccine for the common cold ( three corona virus variants), the first SARS outbreak was in 2002 and there has been no vaccine developed same with MERS which showed up around 2012.

These particular types of virus don't produce long lasting immunity profiles stored in the humoural immune system.

From some of the papers on SARS and MERS these viruses also cause a heavy handed immune response, causing damage to the lungs.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Correct, this isn't about preventing illness, this is about preventing Deaths!!
We don't have a vaccine and can't reliable determine when we will get one. We can't perpetually lockdown the entire population until a vaccine is found. Our systems will collapse and mass hysteria will set in if we attempted something like that.

Making more people ill now means more will die as our NHS can't cope. It's that simple!

The alternative isn't to lock everyone away only to then suddenly release them at the same time, like they've been claiming. It's to do a slow release. NOT a slow lockdown!

But that costs money.

Last edited:

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just a bit of stiff upper lip and elbow grease is all you need! Keep calm and carry on, etc.

I'm just glad my employer seems to have its shit together with this thing. TT/WarnerBros/WarnerMedia/AT&T is advising we all work from home come Monday, letting us take home our work PCs and everything. Deep cleaning the studios, etc etc. Taking no chances.

Meanwhile my mum's working as a nurse on the frontlines and has seen two people die from COVID in just the last couple days alone, and it sounds like the NHS is barely providing them with any sort of protective gear. She's having to self-isolate because she's had direct exposure to it. The whole thing's fucked.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
This is not a sickness that you shrug off after 3 days. You will be down for 2 to 8 weeks dependent on how "mild" your symptoms are. (pneumonia without needing a respirator) is a mild symptom!

Germany is at 4500 positive cases and only 46 recoveries after 17 days, that includes the 20 or so recoveries from the first little outbreak in February.
So just 26 recoveries after 17 days. And Germany must do something right with only 9 deaths.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I've been saying this since even before this thread and UK report appeared. Herd immunity is an effective, scientific, and NATURAL method of combating viruses like this. It's a strategy based on actual scientific fact and information rather than the mass hysteria we are seeing in attempts to "stop the virus".

Where is this science? I havent heard this being used for Ebola or Sars or Measles or anything, where is the evidence that it's a good strategy. Killing a few people(a lot) so the rest maybe are alright, a few of them have permanent debilitating problems but its fine. We have to have a few mass graves, and our Hospitals have collapsed, we have masses of people grieving, and who knows what other problems, we could be the epicentre of reinfection for the entire world, but it's fine the best strategy. I hope they goverment are first in line to test this, and expose themselves on purpose, hope they don't die or end up with permanent lung damage or other problems.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
There's no vaccine for the common cold ( three corona virus variants), the first SARS outbreak was in 2002 and there has been no vaccine developed same with MERS which showed up around 2012.

These particular types of virus don't produce long lasting immunity profiles stored in the humoural immune system.

This is what I'm most scared about.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020

From some of the papers on SARS and MERS these viruses also cause a heavy handed immune response, causing damage to the lungs.

My argument was the idea that we needed a vaccine which may or may not come soon if at all. It's also why extending the spread over 1-2 years in a population makes it worse if we can't guarantee long term immunity.

we know WHO concentrated on containment and eradication of SARS, however we are seeing containment and eradication does not seem like a plausible long term strategy with this strain. Even if immunity only lasts 4 months it will significantly help if has already run much of its course through the population such that it not longer can spread.

Plum

May 31, 2018
This is not a sickness that you shrug off after 3 days. You will be down for 2 to 8 weeks dependent on how "mild" your symptoms are. (pneumonia without needing a respirator) is a mild symptom!

Germany is at 4500 positive cases and only 46 recoveries after 17 days, that includes the 20 or so recoveries from the first little outbreak in February.
So just 26 recoveries after 17 days. And Germany must do something right with only 9 deaths.

Fuck, is it realy that bad?

Fucking hell

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
No one said we have to have a vaccine. We're saying herd immunity is useful when we are using vaccines.

We just need to have emergency support available. And for that we need time. Not rapid infection spread.

Let go of the faith in the Tory party policies. You can't trust them as far as you can kick them.
I really hope there are serious repurcussions for those responsible for a delayed lockdown.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Where is this science? I havent heard this being used for Ebola or Sars or Measles or anything, where is the evidence that it's a good strategy. Killing a few people(a lot) so the rest maybe are alright, a few of them have permanent debilitating problems but its fine. We have to have a few mass graves, and our Hospitals have collapsed, we have masses of people grieving, and who knows what other problems, we could be the epicentre of reinfection for the entire world, but it's fine the best strategy. I hope they goverment are first in line to test this, and expose themselves on purpose, hope they don't die or end up with permanent lung damage or other problems.

you absolutely would not use this strategy for any of those because they are not anywhere near as contagious and those were several times more deadly. Again the strategy is only good in specific ways and not for everything.