• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Would thoroughly appreciate if my government gave a fuck about my health and the lives of the vulnerable in my country but guess not, just gonna brick my front door up instead

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Soccer Matches banned. Rugby matches continuing.

zezD2Ib.gif

I see the government has accurately identified Coronavirus as a dirty working class business rather than a pink cheeked nice middle class family virus.
Isn't that more the Premier league/sports organisations though? Following the links it's not exactly that the government banned football, they are being criticised for letting sporting events continue, it's the corresponding leagues reacting to the situation independently.

Ludon Bear

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 4, 2020
Better fight the enemy you know, instead of creating a new one. Infection so many people, increases the chance for the virus to mutate. Then it may become worse or different enough to infect the already infected again. Rinse and repeat until everybody is death.
Also who is supporting all the ill people? Supply handlers, medical staff and state employees aren't immune to viruses ... or overworking.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
Would thoroughly appreciate if my government gave a fuck about my health and the lives of the vulnerable in my country but guess not, just gonna brick my front door up instead

'Please just get the virus, roll the dice and just shut up about it; also go fuck yourself. Thank you.' - Your Tory Government

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It took a Premier League manager getting the virus for them to actually put a halt on our football pyramid too, despite others being ahead of the curve.

Cheltenham Festival is going on *right now* and 60,000 people are cramped into a racecourse for 3 days.

We literally don't give a fuck.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
The plan is literally to turn the UK into a virus infested pit.
But (hopefully) in a reasonably managed way, with free healthcare. As I understand it in the US you have to pay just to get tested, if you can even find a test. That's not a recipe for a managed spread...

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Seems like the only people that support this approach are not in the risk area. If my Dad gets this he's gonna die.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
But (hopefully) in a reasonably managed way, with free healthcare. As I understand it in the US you have to pay just to get tested, if you can even find a test. That's not a recipe for a managed spread...
You're only getting tested if your in hospital, they've stopped recommending you contact the hotline etc if you think you have symptoms.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody knows whether we get immunity and the virus may even mutate

To be fair on this front, talking with biologists over lunch ( one advantage of being a scientist), I'm told this is extremely unlikely to happen on anything like a short timescale. More likely a 5+ years timescale for that, I'm told.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I had to watch a five minute interview on Sky News to realise that the apparent strategy in the UK was for the sick and elderly to self isolate. That's the apparent plan. The only precaution the people are being told to carry out. It wasn't very clear from any of the messaging I've heard that this is the key part of the plan.

Working in retail serving mostly men over 50 the message clearlyhas not gotten out or being heeded in the slightest. It's a farce.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that more the Premier league/sports organisations though? Following the links it's not exactly that the government banned football, they are being criticised for letting sporting events continue, it's the corresponding leagues reacting to the situation independently.

I was kidding about the blame and class but the inconsistency is real enough.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
My Nan is 85 this year.

I think 2020 may very well be her last year thanks to this virus and the bullheaded way it is being dealt with by our uncaring government.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
It's sounds like a great idea on paper bit once people start dying & ICU gets overwhelmed, then the public & the papers will turn viciously on Boris.
Putting babies/young children, the sick and the elderly in high-ish risk of dying and stressing an already overly stressed public healthcare system to its max or beyond does not sound good even on paper.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Well in the States we have chicken pox parties so the underlying idea sort of makes sense. The problem here is that we do it knowing kids won't die from chicken pox but would be at risk if they got it much later in life.

Since covid 19 is brand new this is just an engaging in an orgy of death.

Chicken pox parties are a side effect of Americans doing pseudoscientific shit and acting like it makes total logical sense. Get your kids vaccinated for chickenpox, jesus.

OP
OP

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Don't worry, they've taken action on the biggest threat of all: local/mayoral elections are cancelled until next year.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
TBH I think it will be better for the economy. I'm from Spain and I think what we are doing here is such a big mistake. Some people are going to work and some are not, how is that going to stop anything? People are going to continue getting infected for months before this is over, the economy is going to be fucked so badly by then that it's going to be a huge disaster.

I really, really hope I'm wrong though. For the first time today I was actually scared about losing my job since we lost 2 projects overnight.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried my best to understand the chief scientific officer's reasoning that delaying more stringent measures will delay peak but I just can't fathom what the fuck he is on about.

Boris has been behind on this from the very start. He didn't cut his holiday short to deal with it. The cobra council was convened a couple of weeks after the seriousness of the spread of the disease was common knowledge and is now having to throw around statement like there could be 10,000 people who have the virus in the UK, in the faint hope it shakes people in this country how serious this virus is. The messaging has been poor and even after yesterday there is still little guidance for sectors such as schools as to what to do, especially for kids with exams coming up.

As a side note there is no way in hell the Brexit deal will be finalised by the end of the year now, so God knows what's going to happen there. Hopefully it doesn't mean we're closer to no deal.

I'm so embarrassed of this country

we cannot contain it fully. Even if we all go into a bunker, when we come out someone will spark off a new infection and it'll blow through the population

mid you accept therefore that the population will be exposed to the virus anyway, what is the best way to do that? The argument is to slow the spread so that the limited resources can focus on those most in need and give them the attention they need. If everyone gets it at the same time that won't be possible and many more will die

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
we cannot contain it fully. Even if we all go into a bunker, when we come out someone will spark off a new infection and it'll blow through the population

mid you accept therefore that the population will be exposed to the virus anyway, what is the best way to do that? The argument is to slow the spread so that the limited resources can focus on those most in need and give them the attention they need. If everyone gets it at the same time that won't be possible and many more will die
I know what he is on about, I just don't understand his reasoning. Allowing more of the public to become infected won't limit NHS to later on down the line

Jun 24, 2019
Are them politicians willing to get infected to build up their immune systems? Or they're gonna let the lesser folk do the job for them?

Last edited:

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
So their strategy is some social darwinism. Let the weak die, so that the society might get stronger.
In the end this horrible plan is in line with their politics.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My work has allowed every single senior employee to work from home. Us juniors are forced to come into the office.

Absolutely ridiculous - this country is doing VERY little about this.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Ah yes, the Lord Farquaad approach.

Litteraly any other politician would be torn to shreds for saying this. Not just Corbyrb, I mean even other conservatives. Imagine if May or Cameron had came out with that.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Not UK but I'm in a position where I'll have to either choose my job or my home. Boss thinks it's a hoax (thanks Trump) and will not be closing business and our job is not possible to do from home, and my sis in law is threatening to lock me out if I continue to go to work. Even though I pay a good amount of rent. This can't end soon enough.

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
This thread is a little embarrassing.

I'm not convinced what the UK is doing is for the best, but there is scientific justification for it. There's not a whole lot of science in the responses here.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
If there was a consensus that this was the best thing to do I'd be less worried, but there very much isn't. The problem is that science isn't black and white and no one can know for sure that this is the best approach. You can often find papers definitively stating completely opposite viewpoints in the scientific literature. (A lot of the bullshit on Dominic Cummings blog is finding one paper that sort of supports his existing ideas and assuming that because it is science it is 100% infallible and the indisputable truth).

Ask five different scientists or models about what the best thing to do right now in the UK is, and you will get five different answers. We seem to have picked one that is at odds with the WHO advice, what has worked in China and South Korea, what everyone else in Europe is doing, and is seemingly based on many assumptions about a disease we don't understand.

There are several dissenting views here:

www.theguardian.com

UK may be included in US travel ban as WHO calls Europe 'centre of pandemic' – as it happened

Mount Everest calls off climbing season; Canadian prime minister self-isolates; London Underground driver tests positive. This blog is now closed

(sorry not sure how to link those live updates properly..)

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not convinced what the UK is doing is for the best, but there is scientific justification for it. There's not a whole lot of science in the responses here.

Isnt this exactly the opposite of "speed run"? They're trying to make it progress, as they expect it to anyway, but slowly.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Uh, yes, if you are capable of completely ignoring the utterly abhorrent ethics behind it when there's another better way sitting right there, i.e. a more controlled spread of the disease which maximises the ability of doctors and nurses to save lives, you could call it embarrassing, I guess.

Oct 27, 2017

It's a global pandemic that's absolutely unprecedented in generations. People are panicking.

Like I said earlier in the thread and that others have also mentioned, on paper I think you can see what they're doing. But you can't blame people for asking questions when it's the polar opposite approach of what literally everybody else within our geographical proximity is doing, and the polar opposite approach to what seems to have shown signs of working in China and Italy. There's also a concern that our NHS - which was underfunded, under resourced and stretched before this even started - is up to the task they've set.

Unless you think people are purposefully spreading misinformation, then I don't think it's right to get pissy at peoples alarm or questioning of what currently stands as an outlier approach to the global response.

OP
OP

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Uh, yes, if you are capable of completely ignoring the utterly abhorrent ethics behind it when there's another better way sitting right there, i.e. a more controlled spread of the disease which maximises the ability of doctors and nurses to save lives, you could call it embarrassing, I guess.
And also if you trust the Tories lead by Boris Johnson. I'd trust the NHS to handle it except they've had a decade of being deliberately sabotaged and are currently taking orders from, well, the Tories lead by Boris Johnson.

At some point my brain broke and it's laugh about how incompetent and evil and awful everything seems to be, or punch a wall or something.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017

As far as I know the scientific justification has been quite hand wavy. Several public health academics are saying they'd like to see what the government is actually basing all of this on.

One thing that sticks out to me, is that an ex WHO director has pointed out that we don't even know if herd immunity will be applicable with coronavirus. So this all seems like a massive gamble. Unless the government has evidence to the contrary, but no one seems to have seen it if it exists..

OP
OP

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Everyone tear down your blackout curtains! The Luftwaffe will soon run out of bombs!
If you see Boris when you're out and about, shine a torch at him. Or give him a nice cough, just in case.

As far as I know the scientific justification has been quite hand wavy. Several public health academics are saying they'd like to see what the government is actually basing all of this on.
I'm sure it's the finest of reports and dossiers that will definitely be released at some point.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I think they've not figured that by not doing anything you bring the peak FORWARD instead of pushing it back.

They're morons. I've thankfully got the goahead from Work to stop myself going into London for a while and if it gets worse we'll be asked to work from home.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
That's... well that's one plan.

Hopefully my elderly grandparents don't die.

If they were effectively practicing herd immunity then you would concentrate on isolating and supporting the most vulnerable of your population. It's easier and economically more sound to isolate and quarantine 25% of your population rather than 100% especially when a bulk of that vulnerable group may not contribute directly to the workforce.

Basically the community at large operates as normal, extended quarantine for vulnerable populations. 30 Days later you hope enough of the population has gotten immunity where it cannot spread effectively to at risk groups.