• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I actually liked this scene when I was watching the movie, but thinking about it conceptually in the greater Star Wars universe it's pretty corny.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I didn't really hate the movie as much as others, but yeah this scene completely fell flat for me.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a complete turd of a movie. Took 2 sittings for me to get through, it was so bad I was only able to endure an hour at a time. Darth Maul scene was brilliant though, I must admit.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I enjoyed Solo, on the whole, but that scene was easily the worst part. We all assumed Solo was a standard Correllian surname, but then they go an pull that shit? Terrible.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
havent watch solo yet.

did it explain where han solo learnt to response 'i love you' with 'i know' within the star wars canon lore?

i need to know that.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I liked Solo, the scene was just as bad as all the other origin scenes which were like half the film.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It was a fun movie that I enjoyed more than I expected, but it really made Han seem shallow and cheap. Which, ya know what, that's maybe more honest to his character than the legend he has built up in fan's minds over the years, so maybe it's great. Everything about him feels unearned from the kessle run, to getting his gun, to getting the falcon, to why he shoots first. That makes his cowardly stance during the OT and the beginning of TFA much more in line. Han Solo is just a fake cool dude.

I relate even more now.

Mib

Nov 16, 2017
It was cheesy initially, but the scene later where he clearly remembers living with what sounds like a (relatively) well off family made me wonder why he didn't want to give his real last name and why he stuck with Solo his whole life.

It retroactively became a neat character moment, and added some mystique to his character and past.

Oct 29, 2017
It was stupid but on balance I actually didn't mind the movie that much, I didn't bother seeing it at the theatre because I didn't really care but grabbed it on 4k and was a fun little ride.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
It was a step too far but I didn't hate it.

The problem with overexplaining a character's origin is it robs them of their mystique. Very rarely is a down-to-earth origin for a key trait more interesting than the mystery of how it came to be.

The worst thing in all the new Star Wars movies is TFA redoing the Death Star, complete with the trench run. So that's where I'm coming from. I'm OK with homages, but three moon- or planet-like battlestations that shoot big lasers is too much for one series. Even the Death Star II was pushing it, but it worked for RotJ's story in the end.

I've seen some of your posts on Star Wars on here and I think we have pretty similar tastes. Curious to see what you thought about the Death Star appearing again in Rogue One. I'm also someone who thinks the idea of a Death Star II is almost pushing it and I actively dislike Starkiller Base in its concept and execution (a different third act would have really elevated TFA).

However, I really like the use of the original Death Star in Rogue One. It's an underappreciated film on here in general, but I think the way it makes the original terrifying again and a central part of the plot is quite inspired. I think it sidesteps the issue of being the fourth battlestation on screen by technically being about the original, and for me it actually enhances my appreciation of it in ANH, as a good prequel should. The extra depth that's afforded to it and the lengths the team go to to retrieve the plans makes the Starkiller Base assault and trench run sequence seem even more ludicrous in comparison.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good thing it turned out to be a fantastic movie. I happen to think Solo and Rogue One felt better and more "Star Wars" than any of the trilogy movies so far, even if I do like them as well.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I didn't expect Han to meet Chewie, Lando, get the Falcon, do the Kessel run, and go work for Jabba all in the space of a couple of days.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit that music swell. The way Han looks up *with purpose* as the guy says Solo.

What a train wreck

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
The funniest is that he basically gets all things that caracterises the Han Solo character (chin scar, etc) 10 minutes apart

Oct 25, 2017
How hard is it to realize Solo's character was better served where the audience doesn't know where the truth ends and bravado begins with his backstory.

Every detail like this doesn't need to be explained.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Solo was a movie made about the memes of Han Solo. Like, the whole "Shoot first" was made into a thematic statement that culminated in the climax of the movie.

"Shoot first" isn't even canonically a thing to Han Solo. It was an editing decision made when Lucas made the specials which the fanbase hated and it became a meme that Han shot first, but....that was like a creative decision/production joke. It never even registered as a conflict for Han the character. But because that became a thing, the writer/director used it as a key feature of his character development.

There's something unnatural to writing a story like that. Using memes as the fundamental basis for your character arc is weird. It bugs me because your not really considering what Han Solo was like as a person so much as you are trying to trigger your audience by packing as many references in the story as possible.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe that they used a generic double cross heist script to tell his origin story. At least Lando was entertaining.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Does ERA like anything?
48958755_001_e

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
That's absurd though, because the prequels are flat out bad movies. Bad writing and acting, bad dialogue. Major failures on every level of production besides the music and art design.

Solo might not be everyone's cup of tea but it's at least competently made. It's not full of bizarre performances, clunky interactions, and forced symmetry with the originals.
A lot of the stuff that's bad from the prequels are at least entertaining to watch, I'd rather watch a Trainwreck that keeps me awake then one that puts me to sleep

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol, it was terrible. I can only imagine people in the writing room were like, "oh my god, that's clever!!!". Such a stupid thing to "explain"

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The only real blunder from that movie, all the other "origin" type stuff worked well and felt natural.
I felt there were WAY too many nods to stuff that happens in the OT. Like I counted at least three or four moments like interactions between Han and Lando that get mirrored in the OT. Like c'mon. They weren't even clever or subtle just BANG. I'd have to watch it again to give examples.