• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I've seen this movie so many times now... I initially watched it on IMAX and then repeatedly wherever and whenever I could.

I bought a friggin' home theater setup (stupidly, but at a bargain price) just for Blade Runner 2049. Rewatched it yesterday.

I'm not here to dissect the movie (as many already have and better than I ever could) or the crazy fact that it's even better than the original (IMO) - I'm just in awe that it wasn't, at the very least, nominated...!

I barely even remember Darkest Hour, truth be told.

At least Roger Deakins recieved his (long overdue) Oscar.

I've said what I needed to say.

Walks Away

205414.gif

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
if Deakins didn't get a win for this, I would have been pissed.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
academy does not care about genre movies outside of technical awards

see: toni collette having the best performance of 2018 and getting nothing. or lupita giving it her all for Us. also nothing.

in short, academy awards don't matter. their finger is not on the pulse and never will be.

OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
academy does not care about genre movies outside of technical awards

see: toni collette having the best performance of 2018 and getting nothing

in short, academy awards don't matter. their finger is not on the pulse and never will be.
You're talking about Hereditary? Wasn't that a 2018 movie...? Either way, I agree, she was snubbed.

There are many examples. Even more recently, Adam Sandler in Uncut Gems.

Heck, this whole thread should be about Oscar snubs.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
People need to stop assuming that the Oscars are actually trying, they're not. I have honestly not taken any academy award seriously for as long as I've not been a teenager and life is better this way.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Oscars hate Sci Fi.
People need to stop assuming that the Oscars are actually trying, they're not. I have honestly not taken any academy award seriously for as long as I've not been a teenager and life is better this way.
Especially if you know how little of a fuck they give about the Animation category.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Award ceremonies are shit so I wouldn't worry about it.

It is a great film.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
It's not that surprising. It was an expensive flop that reviewed worse than 8/9 nominees according to Metacritic. It also didn't have any showy Oscar-worthy performances (the Oscars are mainly decided by actors). Warner also had a much more successful and much better reviewed blockbuster to promote (Dunkirk).

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The Oscars don't actually give a shit. It's fair to be excited for the stuff you like being nominated and winning - that's a cool thing for these people to have to their name, and it puts eyes on things people might not have heard of. Parasite winning was still fucking shocking, and it's awesome.

But actually caring about the Oscars will send you down a hole, and it's just not worth it

Oct 30, 2017
It's a great film, one of the best sci fi of all time, one of the best films in the last 20 years. Who cares about Oscars.

Whenever Leto shows up he takes me out of it and pisses me off, which is my only issue.

OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Award ceremonies are shit so I wouldn't worry about it.

It is a great film.
It just feels bad when something this good isn't recognized.

Like... What would it even take? The movie recieved a lot of Oscar noms. (nominated for 5 and won 2 of them), so evidently they recognise the quality, so they've undoubtedly watched it -

But...

Still no Best Picture nomination.

I just don't get it.

The movie, unlike Dune, wasn't a box office success, so that's why I naively hoped it'd win best picture (prompting even more people to see it).

Jul 9, 2019
I've come around to like the movie, but I think it has its fair share of problems. It's too long and Harrison Ford didn't give a shit.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Oscar or not, movie wasn't that good anyway. Poorly paced and questionable scenes. At least it was pretty visually.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
A24 and Neon released some of the most inspired films this year and got nominated for jack shit. The Academy doesn't get it.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
In my opinion Deakins carries this movie. I thought it was overall a terrible written and paced movie.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
You can't understand why a slow belated sci-fi sequel didn't get a Best Picture nomination? Alright...

I love the film btw, but it is not at all what I picture when I think of what most Oscar voters like.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oscars don't care about sci-fi, but a sci-fi movie won best picture that year…..okay.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
As good as the movie is, I can't feel too bad about this snub considering its almost all-white cast in a story steeped in racism allegory

Oct 27, 2017
You just have to look at the Oscars as its own thing that is likely to miss recognition of many significant and deserving films but can still highlight films that might have been overlooked otherwise.

But movies (especially genre movies) still organically earn appreciation without them.

I also think with the Weinstein reign of terror over the "Oscar bait" lane isn't as obvious as it used to be.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Any film within the Sci-Fi and horror genre aren't looked upon favorably by the Academy. Blade Runner 2049 won a lot of awards, and it won the one it needed to the most with Deakins. But you won't see a film like that win best picture.

And I'll be salty towards the Oscars until my dying day for snubbing Toni Collette because she dared to give her all in a horror movie.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I found it to be a much better movie than Dune tbh (which I also liked) but I guess it was a harder sell to the academy.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Visually, it was amazing but rewatching on Netflix confirms to me that its just not a great movie. Doesnt come close to the original.

Also, Ford looks like he just stepped in to the set straight from his bed.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
It's ok. But the again The Shape of Water was just ok too and that won. The real snub that year was The Florida Project.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Tough year and it sold absolutely terribly. Probably should have been nominated, but I would have given the win to Arrival.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
2049 was a really weird one for me. Obviously, it's a beautiful film but when I watched it for the first time I thought it was good but nothing spectacular. But the more I thought about the movie, the more I liked it. I didn't even watch it again, lol. I just kept thinking about it for a week after I saw it and it got better and better in my mind.

I could say the same for Arrival. I thought that movie at least deserved a nom.
I can't say the same for Arrival. I loved the majority of the movie but the last 20-30 minutes absolutely killed it for me. If those minutes had been cut, it would've been a much better film. They give you everything you need to come to your own conclusions and it's fantastic... and then it keeps going... and it explains everything that you could already piece together yourself, leaving nothing to think about. Villeneuve uncharacteristically had zero faith in the audience on Arrival.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I loved the film the second time even more than the first time because I missed a bunch of stuff the first time.

HK-48

Jan 14, 2021
England
I can very much believe that. The academy doesn't give any nods outside of technical awards. They suck in general

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
One of the GOAT sequel and it got snubbed really hard. The movie was an instant classic for me, watched it twice on imax, and a few more times on netflix.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Besides sci-fi routinely being underappreciated, the academy also usually spurns big box office bombs.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
2049 is also one of my favorite movies now. It does such a faithful recreation of the world from the original and managed to take it further with such incredible cinematography from Villeneuve, who is also quickly becoming one of my favorite directors.

Whenever Leto shows up he takes me out of it and pisses me off, which is my only issue.
This is generally how I feel about Leto. I can't just take him seriously as an actor. I always feel like he phones it in too much or something.

Oct 30, 2017
2049 is also one of my favorite movies now. It does such a faithful recreation of the world from the original and managed to take it further with such incredible cinematography from Villeneuve, who is also quickly becoming one of my favorite directors.

This is generally how I feel about Leto. I can't just take him seriously as an actor. I always feel like he phones it in too much or something.
I never buy him. He just is not a good actor. He's a weird situation where he's not good enough to be great, and he's egotistical enough to not just chill and let other people work and do his part as it is. It always feels like he's screaming for attention, and it pulls me out of it.
Like look at the role of Tyrell in the first film. He's great. Or Rutger Hauer.
Every film Leto is in, it's like every scene is an audition tape, or a different film.

Leto sucks. In everything.

redmason81

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2022
I'm not suprised. They snub sci-fi/fantasy all the time. Look back at films like Alien, Empire Strikes back, Blade Runner, etc. that didn't get best pic nominations. I'm even surprised in hindsight that Lord of the Rings films got nominations and Return of the King won best pic. But Lotr being huge at the box office and loved by critics forced the issue. Blader Runner 2049 didn't have the box office working in its favor.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I think it bombing + being a sequel killed its chances. Had it been an original film or financially successful it might have made it.