• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
By the way complete aside but one thing I always had major issues with:

Ryuji feels like such a different character after dungeon 1 is finished. Like he goes from abused ex-athlete to "literally Yosuke" out of nowhere and it's kind of jarring.

It really feels like someone else wrote Dungeon 1 and everything else was handled by a different writer, I've always wondered if something went on in the background because maaaaaaan the game basically starts out with a bang and then backs down repeatedly.

Ryuji ends up being a lot different and much better than Yosuke.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
it's all okay folks, you're playing as a guy!

you see persona 5 is about questioning power structures and sticking it to the man

and of course that includes indulging typical fantasies of straight dudes, the people most oppressed by power structures!

now if you were, say, playing as a high school girl and you had a romance option with one of the adult male teachers...

also losing my goddamn mind over people complaining about SPOILERS of all things jesus fucking christ
Well in P3P you can date KEN of all people as FeMC. Not an adult but probably the most fucked up of them all.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought about this, on one hand, dating a teacher is wrong because your character is a minor and its statutory rape, but from this angle, Futaba route is just teenagers love...
On the other hand, Futaba is wrong because you, who are playing the game, is given the chance to date a 16 years old girl, but this also make it so dating the teacher is okay because you're also an adult IRL!

People can justify whatever they want to themselves as far as whether they should date a teen or an adult in this game, that's not what I'm addressing. I just take particular issue with Futaba out of all the teenage options because setting her age aside, there are numerous reasons why it's deeply uncomfortable to be pursuing a relationship with her.

Because they know there's plenty of people who like Japanese videogames who are into that sort of thing.

Futaba never came off to me as anything other than Atlus pandering to a specific portion of the Persona fanbase.

Well that's obvious, the game bends over backwards to pander to the fanbase, even if it contradicts the themes the game itself is presenting.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
She's also grievously mentally ill and your surrogate sister.
Preach, why they let you date a girl that was recently a shut-in, who's borderline codependent on you, and is also framed as being your little sister figure is beyond me
715.jpg

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd always sorta assumed "implications" and ambiguity, so they can cover their ass if some asks, but the Anime special extras make no attempt at veiling what's going on here.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Or just remove the juvenile power fantasies altogether.

I'd be all for a college setting just for a change of pace, but it's not necessary.
That'd be fine too, but I don't expect that to ever happen. Just like I never expect mine to happen... because it's Atlus. They somehow only evolve in terms of pandering.
Yeah I don't get the pushback on that. College theme Persona sounds great.
The possibilities alone with what they could do for time management has me wanting it. You can skip classes freely, it's college nobody gives a shit. Probably should make sure your grades don't slip too low though. Rent's a thing! Better make sure you pay those bills. And so on.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Persona 5 shitting on it's themes to pander to the male japanese otaku is par the course.

Also hilarious reaction from the anti spoiler brigade. A game could be hiding it's homophobe agenda among other things and some people would still act irritated to it since it's a "spoiler".

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
By the way complete aside but one thing I always had major issues with:

Ryuji feels like such a different character after dungeon 1 is finished. Like he goes from abused ex-athlete to "literally Yosuke" out of nowhere and it's kind of jarring.

It really feels like someone else wrote Dungeon 1 and everything else was handled by a different writer, I've always wondered if something went on in the background because maaaaaaan the game basically starts out with a bang and then backs down repeatedly.

Although Ryuji never gets as bad as Yosuke, it really feels the beginning of P5 is written by an entirely different team. The way Ann is treated specially highlights this.
forcing a sexual abuse victim to pose naked felt specially slimy, even though it ended up not happening

P5 has a lot of good but a whoooooooole lot of awful too

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Persona's whole thing that it flips wildly between being a being a serious drama about real issues and a fun teenage fantasy?

Like, I get the hot for teacher fantasy, where you're presumably supposed to be seeing things through the protagonist's eyes and get to do stuff that you know you can't in real life. But my understanding is that one of the things that makes this kind of troubling in Persona is that it gets us to tries to get us to think seriously about abuse of power dynamics in relationships before it does this.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New thread worthy?

Persona 3 Portable let's you bang an 11 year old boy

Yes we definitely should ban Persona discussion if this is in their games. Thank you for highlighting this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Persona's whole thing that it flips wildly between being a being a serious drama about real issues and a fun teenage fantasy?

Like, I get the hot for teacher fantasy, where you're presumably supposed to be seeing things through the protagonist's eyes and get to do stuff that you know you can't in real life. But my understanding is that one of the things that makes this kind of troubling in Persona is that it gets us to tries to get us to think seriously about abuse of power dynamics in relationships before it does this.

Got it in one.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty hilarious considering the first arc of the game. It is okay if the roles are reversed I guess :P

Jan 3, 2019

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So I'm gonna be real, I dated all the older SL ladies and ignored the high schoolers. Like I know the MC is a teenager but I had absolutely no interest in getting into a romantic relationship with a bunch of teenagers. Imagine my surprise come White Day...😰

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Futaba is only a year younger than Joker, that age difference is extremely common.
Preach, why they let you date a girl that was recently a shut-in, who's borderline codependent on you, and is also framed as being your little sister figure is beyond me
this right here. what pushes Futaba over the edge for me is the power dynamics are in Joker's favor. aka the player character aka ME and I never noped faster.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah that shit was crazy, I thought P5 was going to be ground breaking in the Persona Series, trying to date a teacher??? The first dungeon has like fucking serious implied sexual assault ???
Then like after the first dungeon it started to die down

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's actually pretty fucked up. Most of the relationships are severely messed up in the game. I guess perhaps that's the point but it always rubbed me the wrong way. Then there's Futaba....

TRUSTNO1

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
Modern Persona is pretty gross with its dating elements, especially grown adults fighting over who's the best girl. Pedo overtones much.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
It's interesting that P5 in Japan has CERO C rating (15+), while for global release it's rated M for Mature.

Now imagine if they make mature games with japanese rating/audience in mind. Probably too degenerate to even make it overseas.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
From the same poster who doesn't know what statutory rape is

A 17 year old girl having sex with an 11 year old boy in Japan would be statutory rape. I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to downplay that fact.

What happens in Persona 5 with Kawakami, and Ohya, Takemi and Chihaya, is not statutory rape.

Ozzie666

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
User Banned (3 Weeks): Concern trolling a sensitive topic
I can't tell if people are being serious or not. It's a game, at the end of the day it's a dam game. It's not real. Don't play if it offends you. There is far worse in anime, movies, music, books etc. Also in the game, you don't have to romance any of them, you can just be friends. If you chose to romance, then maybe it's on you and not the game. Persona presents challenges of morality, maybe we are the ones failing.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inappropriate commentary surrounding minor / adult relationship
Yeah, it's pretty legit.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I can't tell if people are being serious or not. It's a game, at the end of the day it's a dam game. It's not real. Don't play if it offends you. There is far worse in anime, movies, music, books etc. Also in the game, you don't have to romance any of them, you can just be friends. If you chose to romance, then maybe it's on you and not the game. Persona presents challenges of morality, maybe we are the ones failing.

Are we not allowed to criticize games? Because I don't get this defense

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

An RPG that calls the player out on being a degenerate pig would be legit.

A 17 year old girl having sex with an 11 year old boy in Japan would be statutory rape. I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to downplay that fact.

What happens in Persona 5 with Kawakami, and Ohya, Takemi and Chihaya, is not statutory rape.

Joker is a 16 year old in a relationship with women in the mid to late 20s where sex is implied with varying degrees of subtlety.

Yes or no.

I'm not defending P3 fuck Atlus alot of the times but you are just blatantly defending P5 and trying to shift discussion and it frankly disgusting.

Statuary rape the protag is 16 years of age which is below the 18 age that is the age of consent in Japan pretty much.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not compulsory, lol.
Entirely beside the point. Yes. You don't have to do it. Still in the game whether you choose to do it or not and still disgusting all the same. Choosing not to do it dies not magically make it go away or shiekd it from criticism on any level.

And while the relationship itself isn't mandatory, the start of the social link, where you use the fact that you accidentally stunmbke into the fact she has a side-gig as a sex worker to blackmail her into being a Confidant and doing shit for you (whether you actually take advantage of that or not, the blackmail itself still happens), is, and that's already kind of super-messed-up, tbh.

Then you have how Joker's/the Phantom Thieves' whole MO is fighting "corrupt adults" but again, even putting the option for a romantic relationship aside, just how the social link starts, if "corrupt adults" are so bad, where does Joker get off starting a "Confidant relationship" under such pretenses to begin with. Especially after Kamoshida, especially after learning what he was doing to people like Ann and Shiho. And then also later all the stuff that happens in the lead-up to Kaneshiro's Palace as well, making it again pretty clear that blackmail is bad and leads to many bad things just compounding in top of more bad things (no duh)... Unless Joker's the one doing it and taking advantage of people, I guess.

Like, there are layers to this one, and none of them are good.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The entire arc of Kawakimi is wild, and I too struggle to believe that it's real.

But man, P5 went hard in the paint for letting you, a 16 year old boy, have relationships with multiple twenty something women should you so choose. Game is trying to slam dunk the entire concept of male fantasy fulfillment.