• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
With HBOmax a lot of people are now able to see the DC shows from the failed streaming service.

Titans is a show about super heroes, most of which have no powers. It's grim dark tone is at odds with the goofy costumes people wear. They mostly beat up people and or kill them. That's basically what super heroes do but this show really doesn't do anything to disguise their actions as the self-satisfaction of crazy people.

Am I alone here? I'm not opposed to dark representations of "heroes" but the show tries to go into the psychology of the capes and it just makes you like them less and less.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Disagreed pretty strongly. I loved it because of how dark it was. I hope now that it's on HBO Max it gets a second wind!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They did Donna Troy so dirty I don't think I'll ever forgive them even if they do get a season 3.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a terrible edgy show that for 2 seasons in a row is unable to even properly close out a season.

Easily the worst of the DC Universe offerings (I haven't seen Swamp Thing tho)

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was so bad in the second season but I enjoyed the first more or less.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Only issue I've had with the show is I could not care less about any of the characters outside of Dick. Rather watch a Nightwing show tbh

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
With HBOmax a lot of people are now able to see the DC shows from the failed streaming service.

Titans is a show about super heroes, most of which have no powers. It's grim dark tone is at odds with the goofy costumes people wear. They mostly beat up people and or kill them. That's basically what super heroes do but this show really doesn't do anything to disguise their actions as the self-satisfaction of crazy people.

Am I alone here? I'm not opposed to dark representations of "heroes" but the show tries to go into the psychology of the capes and it just makes you like them less and less.

yes, it is a very bad show

the more important question is, are you enjoying it or not?

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
This show had a lot of promise but after two seasons of the "team" constantly fighting each other and CW writing, I don't have high hopes for season 3. Hopefully it will be a marked improvement though. Show still has potential.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
I thought the first season was fine.

The second season though...not great, especially the final episode.

OP
OP
Dali

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
And Harley Quinn. Stargirl is also surprisingly a good watch
I've been watching all of the above too. Harley isn't live action but stargirl and doom patrol are basic CW campy stuff. Titans seems like it's trying to be Daredevil, Luke Cage, or Punisher but it fails at mixing grim dark while still making you on some level like the main characters. Hawk is on video saying hell yeah move over batman when he got his first taste of vigilantism. I cringed watching it but he showed the video to Dawn (Dove) and she's all about it too instead of being like "wtf?!"

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching all of the above too. Harley isn't live action but stargirl and doom patrol are basic CW campy stuff. Titans seems like it's trying to be Daredevil, Luke Cage, or Punisher but it fails at mixing grim dark while still making you on some level like the main characters. Hawk is on video saying hell yeah move over batman when he got his first taste of vigilantism. I cringed watching it but he showed the video to Dawn (Dove) and she's all about it too instead of being like "wtf?!"

Doom Patrol is definitely nothing like the CW shows, no idea how you can say that. Even compared to something like Legends of Tomorrow, of which it would be the most similar to in tone, the acting alone is much better

I'll give you Stargirl though, though the higher budget/better fight scenes help. I went in expecting to be very underwhelmed, but it surprised me

OP
OP
Dali

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Doom Patrol is definitely nothing like the CW shows, no idea how you can say that. Even compared to something like Legends of Tomorrow, of which it would be the most similar to in tone, the acting alone is much better

I'll give you Stargirl though, though the higher budget/better fight scenes help. I went in expecting to be very underwhelmed, but it surprised me
Outside of Brendan Frasier saying "Fuck!" a lot I don't think Doom Patrol is on a different level than Flash, Arrow, or Supernatural.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Terrible show. I struggled to make it through the first episode. Stick to Doom Patrol and Harley, they're great.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Really weird show, has a bunch of promise and bungles alot of easy stuff. The casting for the most part is great

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed s1 alot, s2...i enjoyed certain episodes. It felt like they were trying to do too much. And lol at what happened to Troy.

As for the tone, i think it's fine

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It honestly felt like fan videos from the early 2000s we'd see all over the place. Better and more creative comic book stuff is done on TV and this show is so many steps behind.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Robin (all incarnations and all identities) is a mess of a character without Batman, that was the only takeaway I got from Titans.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The show has very little actual superheroing in it, aside from Hank and Dawn taking out their frustrations on drug dealers every couple of weeks.

All of the characters are murderous assholes, and their "victory" over the S1 big bad said all the wrong things about their character progression.

Doom Patrol and Star Girl are both still pretty bleak, but they at least attempt to morally center the protagonists and they're much better written overall.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
It started really rough, but I eventually enjoyed it. I just got started on season 2 myself.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It's the least of this show's actual problems but nothing bothered me more than how little they actually get in costume. Like they OFTEN go out to do crime fighting or reconnaissance or whatever in straight up civilian clothes and have a complete disregard for hiding their identities.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Titans has no business even being a Titan show, it really should just be a Nightwing thing with Raven in the main cast.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
It's awful. It's not even a good Titans show. They have no idea why people like the team.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Titans is hot garbo, The Doom Patrol is the best *Superhero* show at the moment least IMO.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Teen Titans the cartoon shows how well he could be done separate from Batman.

tenor.gif

I mean, he was always just the serious leader with a bit of that dated "cool guy" flair. He was fine but I wouldn't say that was enough to do the character justice (and lord knows they have tried over the years).

Titans just falls face first into the many pitfalls of the character and thinks "this is character development" lol

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
Basically titans is fine ...but it perfectly encapsulats why I hate DC direction. Yea we get it, superheroes are crazy, but teen titans was about young superheros going through young ppl problems...

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'm on the second season right now and while I think the way season 1 opened and closed rather weakly I enjoy it over all.

Sometimes it is way too edgey for its own good though.

Last edited:

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
I rather liked Season 1, but season 2 was too much of a mess and couldn't endure it.

And here is a hot take: Dick dropped the Robin identity way too soon and robbed much of the fun from the show.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Basically titans is fine ...but it perfectly encapsulats why I hate DC direction. Yea we get it, superheroes are crazy, but teen titans was about young superheros going through young ppl problems...
Think this may be part of the disconnect. Teen Titans and Titans are two separate properties/teams. Whereas Titans focused on more "mature" issues. Issues that young adults may deal with. Dunno how to describe it best.

What's curious is that this show has such a quality difference from the other dcu shows. Harley, doom, and star are much more focused and executed better. Swamp, i need to watch, but i heard it was decent.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
I enjoyed a fair chunk of it, but my eyes roll back into my head every time they try to be edgy. And boy do they try hard.