• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The OST blew my head off. The only disappointing thing about it (which is a very specific thing, I know) is that the music was only mixed in stereo instead of surround, which was a change from XV, where the DLC tracks were mixed in 5.1 and sounded so much better. A certain final boss theme would've kicked sooooo much more ass with a proper 5.1 mix.

Apr 19, 2018
Keiki Kobayashi of Ace Combat fame composed for FF7 Remake

I believe this might be his song

I knew that song sounded Ace Combat like lol

Actually I can think of several ACE combat songs that could be dropped int to this game no problem. Mimic would be amazing here.

I'm guessing Kobayashi as well. Not as familiar with Ace Combat's music, but there's definite strains of Soul Calibur in there. Love it!

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
I can't wait to hear this in the next part, this always filled me with dread even before I knew what happened there. I imagine it'd be changed a lot but I'd love to see a good translation.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Gosh release the soundtrack already.

And tbh I'm more interested in the games score of the next part/s than I am wanting to play it.

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
Man I think my favourite song in the whole OST was that song that plays when you fight
Rufus on the roof

Last edited:

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Cannot wait for the Concert. I've been to 2 general FF concerts and my main motivation was for the FFVII music, so this one being specifically framed around the Remake is going to something special and a mean a lot to me.

Before playing the game I was thinking of just getting the cheapest seats, but now after finishing the game I'll have to go for something fancy. As well as buy the soundtrack.

I can't wait to hear this in the next part, this always filled me with dread even before I knew what happened there. I imagine it'd be changed a lot but I'd love to see a good translation.

This one is very similar.

It was a pleasant surprise to hear a version of that song in this game.

Imagine how beautiful that place is going to look in the sequels.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I was worried they would be a little too slavish in impersonating the original OST, so it's great to see so many fun experimental tracks that don't have a connection to the original (Tifa's theme in particular).

That said I can't help but feel that some of the new stuff (mostly area themes) fails to capture the atmosphere of the original or even set an interesting tone of its own. The new Wall Market theme is pretty forgettable and doesn't have that greasy, sleazy vibe of the original and the sector 5 theme is a pretty dull riff on a pretty dull theme song.

It's a great OST though.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
The OST for FFVIIR is the only aspect of the game I undeniably loved, even thought I didn't enjoy the large number of orchestral pieces. Square knocked the music out, which is what they usually do for these games.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
It's seriously a bit of a slap in the face.
You know this track exists, right?

Honestly, Wall Market in this game is much too vibrant and lively for Oppressed People. It doesn't fit the mood of Remake's portrayal of the town the way it did in original VII. Whether the new song is a good replacement or not is a different matter, but I think opting for something more upbeat in general terms was a correct decision.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
This one is very similar.

Huh I don't remember this although I haven't finished it just yet, but it sounds good. Can't wait for the OST to come out. So glad I got the 7 disc version.

Also I agree about Wall Market, to be honest I didn't really like much of that section at all which is arguably the only area I can say that about. It did feel too bright and didn't have that grimy feel really.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
You know this track exists, right?

Honestly, Wall Market in this game is much too vibrant and lively for Oppressed People. It doesn't fit the mood of Remake's portrayal of the town the way it did in original VII. Whether the new song is a good replacement or not is a different matter, but I think opting for something more upbeat in general terms was a correct decision.

Yeah, I think it was the right call. Same with replacing Anxious Heart in the train graveyard with a new Hamauzu piece.

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen this in the thread.

I mostly prefer the new takes on OG tracks than the new compositions, but there are many notable exceptions, and these are they:

These were just full of different emotions combined with seeing the full destruction of the plate fall with the ascent.

I really like listening to these, and of course The Valkyrie which fits nicely alongside these. My favourite chapter for new music.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I was worried they would be a little too slavish in impersonating the original OST, so it's great to see so many fun experimental tracks that don't have a connection to the original (Tifa's theme in particular).

That said I can't help but feel that some of the new stuff (mostly area themes) fails to capture the atmosphere of the original or even set an interesting tone of its own. The new Wall Market theme is pretty forgettable and doesn't have that greasy, sleazy vibe of the original and the sector 5 theme is a pretty dull riff on a pretty dull theme song.

It's a great OST though.
The Wall Market one is the only one that made me think "On PC I want to mod this to the Remake version of the original (which was in the game right, I'm not imagining things? In the abandoned Speedway area?) or to the original itself.

Also with PC Modding I'd like to do a playthrough with all the normal battles to to the original battle theme and all the boss battles to the original Boss Battle theme, perhaps alternating between the Remake versions and the original versions :P

I like the Remake OST a lot, but just to experience the game in that nostalgic way would be nice. In fact the music of the whole game modded to be limited to the Remake's arrangements that are closest to the original would be nice, as well as the originals. Also do the reverse as well, mod the Remake tracks into the original game :P

I disagree with Sector 5 though. Absolutely loved that and it was a pleasure to hear it at the end be the main theme of the game with lyrics. I'm certain it's a influenced by some parts (or more?) of the original songs, but I can't quite put my figure on which. I think a bit of Cosmo Canyon is in there? Perhaps some others as well.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
The Wall Market one is the only one that made me think "On PC I want to mod this to the Remake version of the original (which was in the game right, I'm not imagining things? In the abandoned Speedway area?) or to the original itself.

Also with PC Modding I'd like to do a playthrough with all the normal battles to to the original battle theme and all the boss battles to the original Boss Battle theme, perhaps alternating between the Remake versions and the original versions :P

Yeah you're right Oppressed People is only briefly in FFVIIR just before you get into the Wall Market and it's an odd dubstep remix.

I disagree with Sector 5 though. Absolutely loved that and it was a pleasure to hear it at the end be the main theme of the game with lyrics. I'm certain it's a influenced by some parts (or more?) of the original songs, but I can't quite put my figure on which. I think a bit of Cosmo Canyon is in there? Perhaps some others as well.

Ehh I think you're giving it too much credit - I think it's just an original composition. I personally find it incredibly grating and repetitive but there aren't many FF songs with lyrics that I think are any good.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I think I've liked all but one track. The one in the collapsed tunnel I think. Just sounds weird.

edit: the one thing that makes me sad is it seems like we are gonna hear all the songs in some form. I was hoping not to hear the overworked theme or One winged angel until later. Lot of theme songs appear in the jukebox. Granted they are jazzed up versions.

I'm only on chapter 16 so I'm not sure if OWA makes an appearance but I'm guessing Jenova does at at least.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I am glad I was wrong. Ost really is amazing with some great variety.

Remixes of old songs or new ones its all fantastic

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty solid. One of the songs I liked was a guitar(?) version of Electric de Chocobo(?) that plays during the loading screen when you fast travel. Well, one of the ones that can play. If I remember right it rotates through 4 or so versions. Sadly I haven't yet been able to find the specific guitar version I liked.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
As a huge fan of the original and the remake, I thought with the distance I could play through it without having to worry about getting overly emotional. That desire completely went out the window when

Cloud drops in with his motorcycle at the Shinra HQ and we hear a triumphant, rather than the normal somber, arrangement of his theme.

It's such a weird moment to cling to, but when the music kicked in, I was just a 34 year old man bawling in his living room. I need to try to find that song.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
I can't HANDLE that we gotta wait until the end of MAY for this OST. At least it's 7 discs (and an 8th of all the jukebox tunes)!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
As a huge fan of the original and the remake, I thought with the distance I could play through it without having to worry about getting overly emotional. That desire completely went out the window when

Cloud drops in with his motorcycle at the Shinra HQ and we hear a triumphant, rather than the normal somber, arrangement of his theme.

It's such a weird moment to cling to, but when the music kicked in, I was just a 34 year old man bawling in his living room. I need to try to find that song.
A lot of people get taken out of it with some of the visuals in Chapter 15, but combined with the amazing music, and
The Soldier 3rds showing up,

the chapter Really got to me, probably my favourite one in the game. Rufas's battle theme combining the Reactor music with the boss theme was ingenious, and it sounds so goddamn amazing.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know the name of the track that plays when
you gain control of Aerith/Tifa after escaping from Corneo's thugs en route to save cloud?

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

w-FAA7.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Berkeley, CA
When hints of Jenova's theme plays during the first two phases of Jenova Dreamweaver, that was okay. But when the full-blown Jenova theme plays in phase 3 (chef-kiss)

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The music is easily my favourite part of the game. Hamauzu and Suzuki have done a great job.

poor Suzuki getting ignored by everyone tho......

A lot of people are getting ignored tbh. There are 11 composers and 11 arrangers listed in the ending credits. I really hope the OST has a detailed breakdown of who did what. Right now I often get the feeling people think Hamauzu was responsible for everything lol

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
What's the correct terminology to use when referring to the Remake's vanilla versions of the original tracks?

Because of course there's a distinction to be made between:

* Vanilla versions of the original tracks. What is the term we use to make distinction between these and the 1997 versions?

* Rearrangements of the original tracks. These are clearly called Rearrangements.

2 different distinct concepts.

But sometimes it can get a bit confusing when we refer to "original versions" as that might be referring to the 1997 tracks lol.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
When hints of Jenova's theme plays during the first two phases of Jenova Dreamweaver, that was okay. But when the full-blown Jenova theme plays in phase 3 (chef-kiss)
There's a very few light notes that play during the dungeons in Hojo's lab. They started building up towards it from there. That alone gave me goosebumps, let alone what it ends up crescendoing towards.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a very few light notes that play during the dungeons in Hojo's lab. They started building up towards it from there. That alone gave me goosebumps, let alone what it ends up crescendoing towards.

As much as so many character themes and the various riffs on Aerith's were tear jerkers, THIS is what truly gave me the most goosebumps. PERFECT.

Apr 19, 2018
So it looks like both Hobbes B's and Asleep in the Fantasy's channels got nuked, as did their audio recordings. =/