• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember this pretty well. Probably heard most of the details on GAF at the time.
The murderer-on-the-loose story that was local for me that stands out turned out to be a cop, and he even got paid to look for himself. One of the survivors of that guy was actress Charisma Carpenter.

Last edited:

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, but it's really well done here (and it all happens in the first episode). They begin with the first murder, but it's only at the end of the episode that you understand why the target was chosen.
Oh absolutely, I agree. I watched it last week and it's a really effective tool.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot believe we are still making movies titled "I, Blank." C'mon folks.

Anyway, I'm interested nonetheless. I grew up in the area during all of this, and it always makes it weird whenever I hear about it. I was so young, in early middle school, and never really grasped the enormity of it. Like, I knew something bad was happening that scared the adults, but it felt like life just kept going, only with paper on the windows. So, the first time I realized it was an event that was known about and remembered nationwide came as such a weird surprise. Even now, as an adult who realizes "of course it was a huge deal" it still seems so strange.

OP
OP
skrskg

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I cannot believe we are still making movies titled "I, Blank." C'mon folks.

Here in Sweden the documentary is called "Brainwashed: The confessions of a serial killer". Malvo describes the shootings, his relationship with Muhammad and how he found a father figure in him.

It's region locked, guess I could use a VPN though

Sorry about that, I was hoping that they hadn't done that.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I remember when this happened. I want to watch the doc but tbh I can't stomach uncensored videos or photos of real life gory crime scenes and deceased victims. Do they show a lot of that here skrskg ?

ebugg

Nov 3, 2018
I remember when this happened. I want to watch the doc but tbh I can't stomach uncensored videos or photos of real life gory crime scenes and deceased victims. Do they show a lot of that here skrskg ?
still 40ish mins on the first part, but there are photos and video of a pretty bloody crime scene in the first 20 mins.

FYI its a little hard to understand the tape recordings (which is how a good portion of the story is told) and accents at some points, and the only subtitles are in swedish.

OP
OP
skrskg

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden

There's footage that shows the aftermath of the shootings. No actual pictures of deceased victims, but there's a lot of blood shown from the crime scenes and descriptions on how the victims were found.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't live in the dc area at the time but my aunt and uncle did. Really scary few weeks.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
There's footage that shows the aftermath of the shootings. No actual pictures of deceased victims, but there's a lot of blood shown from the crime scenes and descriptions on how the victims were found.

Okay thank you. I can handle that probably because I watch a lot of crime stuff anyway but usually it's edited for TV. Thanks!

still 40ish mins on the first part, but there are photos and video of a pretty bloody crime scene in the first 20 mins.

FYI its a little hard to understand the tape recordings (which is how a good portion of the story is told) and accents at some points, and the only subtitles are in swedish.

Wait, so no English subtitles at all? Eehh I might still try but I can't watch anything anymore without them.

Oct 25, 2017
I was a student at University of Maryland at that time, and the shootings were all around us, I remember just expecting their to be one on campus. I remember people running to classes trying not to be a target. Scary shit. Will definitely watch the doc.

ebugg

Nov 3, 2018
Okay thank you. I can handle that probably because I watch a lot of crime stuff anyway but usually it's edited for TV. Thanks!

Wait, so no English subtitles at all? Eehh I might still try but I can't watch anything anymore without them.
no :(
i also prefer subtitles on but I'm already invested in it so i gotta keep watching heh

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
so has anyone found a way to watch this in the US? Not seeing it on Hulu or any of the major streaming channels

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
This looks so interesting but I also can't find a source for it in the US.

looking into some more and Vice TV was planning on airing this back in June and got delayed to TBD. So unless there is a VPN bypass where I can watch it from another country we'll be out of luck until whenever Vice decides to air it

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
One of the things that drew my attention when this was going one is the wild theories and warnings. Everyone was looking for a white van or a truck, and avoiding certain buisnesses. People theorizing the locations were a message. People around me were avoiding places, even though there wasn't a sniper shooting within 100's of miles.

Oct 28, 2017
United States
It was obvious at the time they were not in a white van cause you couldn't go more than 100 yards without getting pulled over if you were driving one. The police stopped them in their car after multiple shootings but no one was recording the license plates so they didn't make the connection.

Yeah it was crazy how you started seeing white vans with ladders fucking everywhere.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Lived in the DC Metro area; 9/11 for 6th Grade, then this the next year and the anthrax scare in the middle of it all was a crazy amount for us kids to deal with at the same time. I remember all outdoor activities being cancelled, speculation about white vans (which they weren't in,) and it gets brought up with friends from the time frequently enough

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give it a watch. I also strongly recommend the series You're Wrong About did on this, it's a very different perspective from the typical true crime angle.

itsrealfood

Oct 25, 2017
looking into some more and Vice TV was planning on airing this back in June and got delayed to TBD. So unless there is a VPN bypass where I can watch it from another country we'll be out of luck until whenever Vice decides to air it
Rather annoying it's airing elsewhere and we can't even get a date! Thanks for the confirmation that it's not just me striking out on sources.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was a kid during this and lived in NC. We had a local Oldies music station and the DJ got in BIG trouble after reporting the news on it. Because right after reporting on one of the new killings the next track played was "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen.

The danger wasn't immediately in my area but that controversy was the talk of the town that I remember. He apologized immediately and explained that a computer handles the playlist for the station and he doesn't individually select the songs that play. That said, it was a bad coincidence at the time lol.

My local radio station had a DJ who reported about a car crash that had victims, only to play a song called Crash and Burn, right after... Probably happens more often than not but still freaky.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I was in elementary school right outside DC when this was going on. They put up tarps along the walkway to the portables so no one could see anyone walking to and from them, and we only had indoor recess while it was going on. I was the only kid that still walked to school during it lol

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was able at work to read about this while it happened. I was in Massachusetts and it was in all the big New York and Boston papers but also in the local city newspapers, this was nationwide news in a time when print still mattered, and I followed it the whole time.

I also listened to a podcast I think someone here mentioned that got deep into the background and from there the story gets even crazier.

I don't think I want to watch this doc but anyone not familiar should it's a fascinating story though tragic and kept the country as far as I could tell gripped in fear.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lived through this as a college student, and having to walk to an off-campus class past where people had been shot before they caught the guys was more than enough for me. Blue Caprice was a tough watch.

Meerkat

Oct 25, 2017
NoVa
I remember my outdoor roller hockey season getting cancelled because of this. Gas stations started putting bed sheets (or something similar) around them so you couldn't see. This was in Loudoun County

Zanosuke

Oct 27, 2017
For those in UK/US who interested in this and can't access the link in the OP I can highly recommend the true crime audiobook "Call Me God" on Audible. It's a hard listen but really well told.

51pNd0McnsL._SL500_.jpg

"Call Me God is the never-before-told story of the fascinating and turbulent investigation that led to the diabolical and elusive killers' capture; one that pitted protocol against instinct, sacred institutions against individual insight. Told firsthand by those few who had the vision and expertise to solve it, and including a fascinating look into the behavioral, ballistic, forensic, and electronic analysis vital to cracking the case, FBI agent brothers Jim Clemente (former FBI behavioral profiler) and Tim Clemente (former FBI counter-terrorism expert) take us through every facet and flaw of a nationwide manhunt that pressure tested nearly every aspect of law enforcement capabilities—and its glaring vulnerabilities.

Anchored by harrowing accounts from victims, intimate conversations with family members of those deceased, as well as candid accounts from those who knew the perpetrators best, relive the haunting events of the DC Sniper attack and piece together a true crime phenomenon that's impact can still be felt today."

Link: https://www.audible.com/pd/Call-Me-...fcf-90198b687a2f&pf_rd_r=YGFT65MKCHQ5R66ZHZJD

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I wouldn't bother with this until it arrives with English subtitles. well, unless you are Swedish obviously. You lose critical dialogue from the Malvo contributions without them.

Oct 27, 2017
So... this was a scary time as I lived in Virginia when this was going on. It also hit a little too close to home...on my way to work at mythic entertainment, I stopped to get gas. Later that day, it turns out the sniper killed someone at the same gas station and at the same pump location where I was... :(

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Very weird how I didn't hear about this.

Maybe I heard about it in passing.

Took place a year after 9/11 too...

I think I was in 5th or 6th grade at the time.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Came in here expecting it to only be available on HBO max or something but surprised to find a link to SVT play of all thing. Låter intressant så tack för tipset OP!

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
I grew up in Manassas and had previously been to the gas station where they shot Harold Meyers while with my mom. It was very scary to go to school at the time. I remember just starting middle school and literally running from the bus to the school with all the other kids because of the shootings. On top of the news, there were all the rumors going around school that we were the next target, etc. It was super surreal.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So... this was a scary time as I lived in Virginia when this was going on. It also hit a little too close to home...on my way to work at mythic entertainment, I stopped to get gas. Later that day, it turns out the sniper killed someone at the same gas station and at the same pump location where I was... :(

That's terrifying.

Apr 25, 2020
For those of you struggling to find a way to watch this, set your VPN to Sweden and the link in the OP should work fine.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't this the case where the guy went around. Murdering random people so when he killed his wife they would think it was a random shooting?

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's crazy man. DAoC gave me a lot of comfort in my teenage years, appreciate your work on that.

Apr 25, 2020
I'm up to episode 3, it's 2:30am where I am, and just wow.....These guys were monsters. It's riveting stuff but in the worst way. The mistake of the White Truck/Van lead emboldened them even further and vindicated their fucked up world view. That must have been a terrible day to be an emergency worker in D.C

collige

Oct 31, 2017
If I really think about it, the craziest thing about all of this for me is that I'm still sitting in Montgomery County going past some of the same intersections where these shootings happened 18 years later. But yesterday, more people died in just the county than Muhammad and Malvo killed in two whole states over the course of a month and we're not doing shit about it.

I guess it's more acceptable for the government to shut down everything when there's someone they can hunt down.