• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda like Drake's face from Uncharted 3->4. It's likely different simply due to graphical advances?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
He's pushing 60, aged like a champ. There's really nothing to fix, his cheeks are maybe a little too chubby, but probably a mocap thing.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
wait, seriously?
those are the images you're going to go with?

nuJoel looks like he could be a real person.
TLOU Joel looks like a video game character.

Those screenshots only reinforce what I'm feeling here. Talking about nuJoel looking like an alien when that shot of TLOU Joel features eyes that are LED backlit

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Looks older and more like a human being rather than a video game render. I don't see the issue.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see a big difference, in a good way, much more realistic and i love it, also fuck yeah a 60 years old main character (i know we play ellie)

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Ehm, i did not even know we had Joel his face available, but thats looks perfect to me actually.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
lol I don't really see much wrong with him tbh. Remember this guy is meant to be old and weary at this point.

Maybe if you could be more specific about what you don't like about this design?

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda like that white & gold / black & blue dress when I first saw him I thought he didn't look anything like Joel but now I can't see him as anything other than slightly more realistic Joel with longer hair.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
No. He looks like a cross between TLoU Joel and Tommy Lee Jones. Given the shit he has been through, he looks more than alright for someone in his 60s.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
He looks like he gained some weight, which is normal. Looks fine to me 🤷‍♂️

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The bottom pic is not an improvement, and in a modern context, looks like what I'd imagine an Elder Scrolls VI custom player character modeled after TLOU2 Joel would look like

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
They made him older and more realistic with today's technology, which is a good choice. I don't see the problem.

I'm the first person bothered by developers changing characters' faces (hello Square Enix, Capcom), but this is just natural evolution as technology gets better.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The look is fine but his mouth movement was the only thing in the trailer that looked off to me. Looked like his skin was moving too fluidly over his face. It just looked...wrong.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Not sure why you posted those pics but thanks, you just reminded me of how amazing this game looks.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Man, his model sure does look excellent now, doesn't it? The Last of Us is a great looking game, so it is fantastic to see this level of improvement. Every time I feel like we are nearing the edge I am shown how much further we can move. Really impressive stuff.

They have really outdone themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
The new Joel does resemble Nathan Drake a bit. If I really look, I can morph him into Drake.

Original Joel I can't.

So in that sense, I can see a difference. Now is one worse than the other? Ehhh, not really. If they tweak him a little than ok, but its not a huge problem/.