• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
If I ever see a Youtuber/Streamer who is worth my ££££££ then I'll have no issue giving it to them.I haven't encountered one yet though.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Street performers with a great big street + people with lots of expendable income = capitalizing on that novelty factor.

A trick as old as time!

Do you think the same when people pay money for a person on a stage to tell jokes?

Same thing, it's entertainment, and you're helping them continue entertaining while they're providing a service. The difference with streaming is that donations aren't mandatory.
Neither's going to the venue lmao

The other things I don't get are the large donations. Who are these people who can donate $20, 30, 50 100+ like it's nothing? I mean, if you have that kind of disposable income, why not donate to charity? Or use it to help people out first responders or something? Not some guy sitting in a DXRacer chair playing Fortnight all day.
Why would we want to think about depressing things? There's flashy stuff on these screens goddammit!

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
If they're entertaining you, you don't want to give them some tips for that entertainment?

It's no different than people giving people money on Patreon for content they enjoy.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
How do you feel about Patreon, OP?

They donate because they like the streamer and their persona or niche they fill, and feel that they want to support them and make certain they can continue streaming, or even stream more full-time.

OP
OP
Aug 3, 2018
User Warned: Needlessly hostile to other users
I forget most of the people on this site are shutins who have no human contact to begin with. And donating five bucks to someone streaming a game they like so the can get a shoutout from the personality....gotcha.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Neither do I, but I probably do lots of shit that other people don't understand. We're all different :)

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't makes sense.

I've never even considered watching a show on OTA broadcast TV and sending an actor a from the show a check.

Why the hell would I do it for someone on Twitch/Youtube/Facebook/mixer,etc?

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
I forget most of the people on this site are shutins who have no human contact to begin with. And donating five bucks to someone streaming a game they like so the can get a shoutout from the personality....gotcha.

Yeah, everyone's a shut in because you don't understand paying someone for their work. If anything I've seen people on this site hate on streamers way more then they should.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I do enjoy watching Gacha streamers when a major unit is released; the highs an or lows are pretty entertaining. I guess the money they get goes right back into the game.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Here's a few reasons:
- You like the entertainment, you pay for it so they can keep making it or to show your appreciation

- You want your name to be read out (or displayed) live on stream for people to see

- You want the streamer, a popular person (perhaps your idol), to see/say your name

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've never truly felt old and out of touch until Twitch blew up. Every aspect about the content and culture is bizarre to me.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with the premise of this topic.

mostly

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

Oh, nice job insulting people here for posting reasons why people do it. You sound incredibly ignorant and narrow-minded.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
You could be doing better things with your time, yet here you are.
omggg

giphy.gif

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018

LOL you never had any intention of actually having a conversation around the topic. Just here to put people down. You're a scumbag.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
People are just that bad with their money. Many monetary problems could be prevented if people would just think for a bit.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
You're wasting your time making threads on a video game forum and you're questioning other people's actions?

Hey look, see how easy it is to throw this back at literally anyone?

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You'll get a lot of shit for this OP, but I tend to agree with you. I'm a hypocrite though because I have a GB Premium membership...so yeah...I don't know why I do that when I could donate that money to a homeless shelter or unicef. I guess it's that we feel better about giving our money to something that we see the direct results of, vs some humanitarian effort that may or may not ever directly impact our lives.

Deleted member 19213

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't enjoy watching people play games unless it's a game that requires some sort of skill. Most big streamers that garner a ton of money are annoying to me. Their content consists of games I don't enjoy, don't require much skill, and in addition, their commentary is generally obnoxious. There are some exceptions, of course. I enjoy watching TheGamer2323 from time to time. He's simply a funny person who plays games.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Yeah I don't understand it either.

I think it's mainly just people wanting to be noticed/mentioned by the streamer. I don't mean to make it sound so pathetic but that's how it comes across, especially with how alerts pop up.

Also streamers have definitely become adept at playing up the "support the stream" angle, as if each individual donation is contributing to food on their plate.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This thread does not seem like it will lead to productive discussion, and is closed to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.