• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Man that sucks. I really want one of these when if vrr drops but the burn in scares me.
I play games with static elements a lot myself but thats maybe not even the problem. I also have a wife and kids that use the tv a lot and throughout the day, every day, there is always something on the screen for a long time, either paused paused movie, a finished dvd, a paused game, Netflix "Are you still watching this screen", the Netflix logo from Netflix just being left open, youtube stuff with logos, my one daughter knows how to turn on the tv and get through some screens, the other likes to hide controllers and then turn it on (thus turning on the TV) and navigating it to weird screens.

So, thrashed in reference to the thread title, aka lots of burn in.
The gamble would be in buying a TV because it has the best picture quality and then having the picture quality ruined by getting burn-in.

Which would annoy you more, a TV with best image quality, completely ruined by image retention problems/burn-in or a different TV set that is almost as good but never has that issue?

If I was the only person using the TV, yeah, that's an easy fix. But I'm okay with buying the 2nd best TV out there where I never have to deal with that situation or worry about it, that's the easiest fix.

I kind of feel the same way.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
If you know about it, it's easy to manage. It only happens if an image is bright and on the same area for hours, but if you go out to the os home for example, or just pause a game, it won't happen.

I don't believe this is true. I believe that image retention is based on consecutive hours of static content, but all the evidence we have is that burn-in is based on cumulative hours, not consecutive hours. I have yet to hear a rational, technology-based argument for why consecutive hours would matter for burn-in.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe this is true. I believe that image retention is based on consecutive hours of static content, but all the evidence we have is that burn-in is based on cumulative hours, not consecutive hours. I have yet to hear a rational, technology-based argument for why consecutive hours would matter for burn-in.
Yeah it's cumulative what counts. Playing a game 24 hours straight is better than playing the same one couple hours a day, every day for months.

If OP really has 800 hours of overwatch played it's 100% permanent burn-in. There's no fixing it other than replacing the panel.

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like you have burn in OP. I have the same thing on my 65" B6. Only shows up on red backgrounds and some orange backgrounds.

I'm honestly not even sure where mine came from, because it's a weird pattern that doesn't match anything that I normally watch. It sucks, but thankfully it's not very noticeable during normal viewing.

I would still try to follow the Clear Panel instructions that other people gave you. It didn't work for me, even after MULTIPLE uses, but maybe yours isn't as bad yet. Also, go see what your OLED Light setting is set at. A lot of what I read says that you shouldn't have it above 50. Mine was set to 100 and I never even realized it, so that's probably what happened to mine.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So when is it burn in and when is it image retention?

It's actually the reverse of how people think "burn-in" occurs when talking about OLEDs. Each OLED pixel has a maximum brightness, and over time, with use, that maximum brightness goes down. Noticable burn-in is actually the opposite of what it sounds like -- when you see burn-in on an android phone at the top of the screen where the status bar goes, what happened is that the status bar is black, meaning those pixels don't get lit up like the rest of the screen, which means that their maximum brightness dims less over time than the rest of the screen. Hence, that portion of the image appears brighter than normal.

Image retention is when the residual color from the previously held static image stays around for a bit, and eventually goes away. Burn-in never goes away.

An example of OLED burn-in:

ICqjE.jpg

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
When LCD's first became popular and LCD vs Plasma was a thing I did heaps of research and ended up going with LCD because of the burn in/image retention issues with the plasma screens and last year when looking for another new TV I was again presented with this exact same problem when looking at LCD vs Oled and now that I have the LG C7 I can tell you the small amount of babysitting you have to do to manage burn in or image retention on the oled is completely worth it for that picture quality. Goddam basically I have never seen a screen wow me almost every time I use it, if you're going to also do a lot of movie watching I wouldn't even think about any other panel tech.

To OP, if you are playing lots of games with static images just make sure to take breaks every couple of hours (you should be doing this anyway) and every time you take a break either turn the TV off or switch to some different content, I would also suggest maybe running the panel fix option in the menu once a week or even every night if you are gaming hard. I have never seen any burn in issue and I play games for hours on mine and have only run the panel fix option once and that was only because I was curious to see how the feature would work.

I have watched those Rtings videos and there should never even be a situation where you doing any of stuff in real life but if it really bothers you then yea get yourself an LCD/LED with the most amount of full local array dimming zones, the Sony ZD9/Z9D is the one you want with around 640 but that is also an expensive TV so I would much rather an oled at that price. If you want some good TV advice watch Vincent Teoh at HDTVTest who basically seems to the giving the most informed and unbiased options: https://www.youtube.com/user/hdtvtest

Also the new 2018 Oleds from LG will further be looking at improving burn in issues with the new Logo Luminance feature (along with some other cool stuff like black frame insertion and 10% brighter HDR etc) which I will be buying the second they are launched.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It's always a risk with OLED and it's not something I think will ever go away. A mid-range to top of the line Sony or Samsung LED/LCD are pretty great alternatives.

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
That's the reason why I still avoid OLED, just like I did with plasma. Even though Sony is pushing hard for its new oled tech, I still prefer LCD. Sadly.
It's always a compromise and be assured that no other tech will give you the same level of picture quality like OLED - at least until microLED is ripe for the consumer market, which is still a long way off from what I remember. So it's either having the best picture and the risk or not taking the risk but at the same time not having the best picture quality. You can't have both.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, spread awareness so more people learn about this and think twice before spending their hard earned money. It's frustrating when OLED fanboys gloss over burn in problem or completely deny it just because it hasn't happened to them personally, yet.

There are TVs which have ALMOST as good picture quality and blacks levels as OLED, without any burn in problems whatsoever.

Care to drop any model names/numbers?

I'm in the market for a new TV.

Oct 28, 2017
Burn-in can occur on any kind of self-emissive display where the pixels degrade in brightness over time. What people call "burn-in" is simply uneven pixel wear, nothing more.

Unfortunately if you have successfully unevenly worn your pixels to the point where something like a game HUD is permanently visible, well your panel is permanently fucked at that point.

This is why with plasma and OLED TV's people suggest you never leave static images showing on them forever.

I have successfully burned the skill bar and chat window from a game into a Panasonic 65VT60 plasma TV. That was not a cheap TV. It sits in a bedroom now and I can look at it and be ashamed every time I walk into that bedroom for some reason. This is why my gaming TV is now an LCD.

It's actually really easy to see burn-in on phones with OLED displays because there's a part of the display which is always black, the notification bar on top of the panel. After a year or two of use, it's easy to see how fucked up your phone OLED screen is with the notification bar permanently burned into the top of it.
I use a 60ZT65B(ZT60 in US) for my PC gaming duties and have zero burn-in; image retention is quite bad though and will show up even just the TV menu when it first turns on and has got worse with age. That being said it's only a minor annoyance as it goes away quickly, played Forza Horizon 3 with its permanent white map HUD with no permanent issues for over 100hrs. Only thing I need to do is put the taskbar on auto-hide and not open windows full screen all the time so the top window bar isn't in the same place constantly.

My TV before that was another plasma the PZ85, which actually was completely resistant after about 1000hrs to both IR and burn-in. I could play one game straight for 100hrs with a static HUD and it would be fine.

Now the key thing with plasma was just aging the pixels evenly in the first few hundred hours as that's when the plasma was most active. The older they got the harder it was to cause permanent burn-in because aging a pixel for 100 out of 1000hrs made very little difference to the ageing, whereas 100hrs in the first 150hrs basically means 2/3 of the time and going forward they'd still have been aged that same amount more.

If OLED is anything like that then these tests are only representative of what happens if you just don't break in the TV like recommended and then abuse it will channel logos and HUDs when it's most susceptible. Sure that's what most consumers will do but if you know about it and still don't bother to listen to advice or can't be bothered then LCD is probably the way to go as you probably aren't the kind of person who'd even care/notice about the difference in picture quality IMO at least.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Yeah OLEDs have image retention and burn-in and before anyone buys them should be given a warning sign that is the double of the tv size because of these problems but be sure to not tell that in AV specific threads on the net or all the OLED people will tell you that you are persecuting them and how OLEDs are perfect and you are wrong blah blah blah.
It's a crappy version of console wars but for tv technologies.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I can't imagine having to baby a TV I spent thousands of dollars on.
The worry would always be in the back of my mind when i'm letting it sit there playing Spotify or games all day.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The worry would always be in the back of my mind when i'm letting it sit there playing Spotify or games all day.

Honestly it depends on your entertainment habits. If you will sit and play the same game for more than 2/3 hours at a time or leave it on the same TV channel (e.g. News channels with tickers at the bottom) all day then I'd recommend staying away from OLED to reduce any potential headaches.

It's down to everyone to judge individually if they feel it's worth it or not.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Never again. I babied the hell out of my plasma, did the 200 hour break in, etc.,and would still constantly worry about burn in and image retention was a real issue. I dont care how good the picture looks that shits not worth it. There are nice LEDs out there where I don't have to worry about falling asleep,watching ESPN or playing a game for massive amounts of hours.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Never again. I babied the hell out of my plasma, did the 200 hour break in, etc.,and would still constantly worry about burn in and image retention was a real issue. I dont care how good the picture looks that shits not worth it. There are nice LEDs out there where I don't have to worry about falling asleep,watching ESPN or playing a game for massive amounts of hours.

Yeah, i'd be the same. And I would never want to worry having my TV running for hours displaying the PS4 home screen, a paused game or Spotify.

Until they have fully fixed this issue, i'm avoiding OLED.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Well, if you say that content is irrelevant, how does that explain that out of 6 TVs only one that has been running CNN for 4 weeks is showing burn-in? There's definitely panel variance to this and content matters, brightness and colour.
FIFA nor COD show no signs of burn-in after 8 weeks, while the CNN TV it's becoming more and more apparent, and both games feature HUDs.

If the OP is still reading the thread would be interesting to know how big Overwatch player is he.

I've played COD4 as much as I've played Overwatch on the TV. Although I am a big Overwatch player. I wouldn't say enough to cause what's happened though.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

Yep, my GTSport burn-in kicked in because my brother played the game for 2 months, after 5 years of babysitting from my part... it's fu**ing painful and soulcrushing :'(

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
Yeah, i'd be the same. And I would never want to worry having my TV running for hours displaying the PS4 home screen, a paused game or Spotify.

Until they have fully fixed this issue, i'm avoiding OLED.
From what I gathered there simply is not definitive fix for this issue and never will be because of how the tech works (self illuminating pixels).
The only thing you can do is to wait for microLED... but that will take a couple more years.

Oct 26, 2017
Dude that sucks a lot. It was mostly my main reason that I decided to quit with OLED for now and go back to LED. I was always afraid to play HUD heavy games on my 65B6 because IR would show up insane fast and when Xbox didn't have that IR protection feature yet I was basically babysitting my TV, nah man.

Unfortunate because the TV was great and I never had these issues with my previous EC9300 OLED. I used to be an avid supporter of OLED and maybe I just had a faulty set although reviews did mention the B6 having these issues.

I really hope you get this fixed man. How old is it? While LG doesn't give warranty on it maybe the store will?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies - not seen it in many posts - but the level of the "back light" (I know OLED doesn't have one - that's the whole point) makes a big difference. I was running my LG OLED at 30 out of 100, and never noticed any signs of image retention. Partly as an experiment with HDR and getting very bright whites (mine is an older OLED and has lower nits) I have een running it at 70 out of 100. I now notice temporary image retention of the square boxes from Xbox menus.

I only notice it on pure grey screens and only temporarily so it hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it. The Tv itself is pretty good about making itself significantly darker once it detects the picture is not moving at all.

I played a shitload of destiny on it and it was fine with that (but that was at 30 "Backlight").

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Yeah it's cumulative what counts. Playing a game 24 hours straight is better than playing the same one couple hours a day, every day for months.

If OP really has 800 hours of overwatch played it's 100% permanent burn-in. There's no fixing it other than replacing the panel.

It sounds like OLED is definitely not for me, since I tend to play Let It Die every weekday, which has constant static icons like this:

mcqDN1dl.jpg

I don't really like the idea that I'd have to baby the TV. I much rather go for the 2nd best option, a full-array LED, and not worry about it.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
What is your backlight set at OP?

95 for gaming, it is high however I did get the numbers from the RTings settings!

Can anyone help me and tell me where the burn in stuff is on the B6 Menu? I'll probably ring where I got it too as I pay £6 a month for insurance. I'll be demanding a replacement though as I need a TV!

Also, would like to point out I don't just play Overwatch. This TV is used for Sky Q, PS4, XB1 And Switch so how I've seemingly burnt this in I don't know. I've cycled through my backgrounds with everything off and it doesn't show it on any of the LG pictures on the TV.

Doesn't show it on the PS4 profile log in page. Or the menu. But then in settings...

https://imgur.com/a/1ZuW

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
95 for gaming, it is high however I did get the numbers from the RTings settings!

Can anyone help me and tell me where the burn in stuff is on the B6 Menu? I'll probably ring where I got it too as I pay £6 a month for insurance. I'll be demanding a replacement though as I need a TV!

Also, would like to point out I don't just play Overwatch. This TV is used for Sky Q, PS4, XB1 And Switch so how I've seemingly burnt this in I don't know. I've cycled through my backgrounds with everything off and it doesn't show it on any of the LG pictures on the TV.

Doesn't show it on the PS4 profile log in page. Or the menu. But then in settings...

https://imgur.com/a/1ZuW
Crikey
Lfw5Afhl.jpg

It sounds like OLED is definitely not for me, since I tend to play Let It Die every weekday, which has constant static icons like this:

I don't really like the idea that I'd have to baby the TV. I much rather go for the 2nd best option, a full-array LED, and not worry about it.

I use mine for hours at a time as a PC monitor. I've never seen a hint of retention. The worst case I've seen was a guy who left his set on with CNN on pretty much constantly. in torch mode like OP's. the DOG was plain as day on 5% grey. Looked like a sticker! If that's you, then OLED, at least this gen, is not for you.

Last edited:

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Had my B6 for well over a year now and the only time I've ever noticed any kind of burn-in / image retention is on the console dashboards when you go from the dash to a black screen. I've literally never noticed it in any kind of meaningful content, and I binge play games on weekends for 5-6+ hours at a time. I have my OLED brightness fairly high around 60-70 and 100 in HDR. Anyone being vastly concerned over it and choosing other TVs over an OLED purely because of this single reason is over-reacting - the benefits far outweigh the negatives. I'm sure it can happen, but I use my TV every single day for games which always feature plenty of static content and it's been a complete non-issue for me.

When you leave the room to go cook for example don't just leave the TV sat on a static screen, turn it off. The LG OLED's do their own cycle if the TV has been on over 4 hours to try clear any image retention that may occur. (I believe that may be a setting to enable)

That said, if you're having a real issue I do recommend taking it up with LG. I imagine just like any TV, there's going to be panel variance and people encountering issues that others don't. Hope you manage to sort it OP!

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Had my B6 for well over a year now and the only time I've ever noticed any kind of burn-in / image retention is on the console dashboards when you go from the dash to a black screen. I've literally never noticed it in any kind of meaningful content, and I binge play games on weekends for 5-6+ hours at a time. I have my OLED brightness fairly high around 60-70 and 100 in HDR. Anyone being vastly concerned over it and choosing other TVs over an OLED purely because of this single reason is over-reacting - the benefits far outweigh the negatives. I'm sure it can happen, but I use my TV every single day for games which always feature plenty of static content and it's been a complete non-issue for me.

When you leave the room to go cook for example don't just leave the TV sat on a static screen, turn it off. The LG OLED's do their own cycle if the TV has been on over 4 hours to try clear any image retention that may occur. (I believe that may be a setting to enable)

That said, if you're having a real issue I do recommend taking it up with LG. I imagine just like any TV, there's going to be panel variance and people encountering issues that others don't. Hope you manage to sort it OP!

Cheers bro! I'm going to ring a few people now, I've got a couple of insurances to ring and see who'll do the best.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Like I said earlier in the thread.

I have 1200 hours on Overwatch on xbone. Probably 1000 hours of that on my E6. And a handful of hours on PS4. I just finished playing 3 hours of it, for probably the 3rd time this week.

Yes we watch TV and movies. But Overwatch has been like 60-70% of the content probably in the last 6 months. And more before that, although I was playing Dark Souls 3 also and a few other games.

There's something more to it. OLED light settings, brightness, whatever else...From the Rtings testing, probably panel lottery?

Warranty claims to LG have been mixed I think, but I've heard of people getting panel replacement for burn in.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Is this going to be an issue on my S9 phone screen? Don't think I ever got it on my S7 despite being on GAF on it constantly.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My understanding is image retention is usually temporary. When I played on a Plasma display, sometimes the outline of the border of something like a minimap would still be visible after stopping the game (most noticeable when the screen went dark/black) but from what I recall it would go away on its own. I personally never ran into true burn in where that image got stuck permanently.
Yup, that's been my understanding and my experience so far.

Burn-in actually ruins screens semi-permanently.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah I get image retention all the time on my Panasonic plasma which I've had for 8 years now. If usually goes away after about 10 minutes, still to thia day never suffered any permanent burn in.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I use mine for hours at a time as a PC monitor. I've never seen a hint of retention. The worst case I've seen was a guy who left his set on with CNN on pretty much constantly. in torch mode like OP's. the DOG was plain as day on 5% grey. Looked like a sticker! If that's you, then OLED, at least this gen, is not for you.

Well, I tend to keep the TV on throughout the day when I'm at home, and it's usually on the same channel. So, it seems like LED would be a safer choice for me.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Well, I tend to keep the TV on throughout the day when I'm at home, and it's usually on the same channel. So, it seems like LED would be a safer choice for me.
All I can tell you is my Firefox taskbar icon has been in the same place for months. I don't get retention from it, but if it's a brightly lit room and you're going to need that backlight way up, yeah avoid OLED.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a B6 myself, just turn on the image shift option and if in case an image retention happens, happened to me 1 time due to The Witness HDR, just turn off the tv. It's gone by the turned it on again and just turn on the retention wiper option so the tv will schedule it every time you turn it off.

Suavesteve

Oct 28, 2017
If you know about it, it's easy to manage. It only happens if an image is bright and on the same area for hours, but if you go out to the os home for example, or just pause a game, it won't happen. Plus the LG ones have screen shift and ways to get rid of the retention. Burn in will happen if you leave the same overlay for long hours and the oled light is set to a 100. Have had mine for months without issues.

The thing is.. Don't go with the lower quality QLED due to this. Nothing beats the OLED contrast out there, especially for HDR.

That's not true. The best hdr comes from FALD led sets.

Coiler

Oct 31, 2017
After a full year of gaming on my B6 with HDR enabled I would say its nothing to be worried of. (My last tv was a Plasma).

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
All I can tell you is my Firefox taskbar icon has been in the same place for months. I don't get retention from it, but if it's a brightly lit room and you're going to need that backlight way up, yeah avoid OLED.
Do you leave the desktop on the screen for long periods? I hide the taskbar and use no desktop icons at all. Not taking any chances.
I have a B6 myself, just turn on the image shift option and if in case an image retention happens, happened to me 1 time due to The Witness HDR, just turn off the tv. It's gone by the turned it on again and just turn on the retention wiper option so the tv will schedule it every time you turn it off.
Screen shift moves only a few pixels at a time so it won't prevent burn-in, only smudges it up a little.

Deleted member 17491

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Key thing for OLEDs it to not cut the power when you turn them off. They'll run a cleaner when the TV is in standby, if you cut the power it can't run the cleaner.

Anecdotal: I own a 2015 OLED TV and use it practically exclusive for games, including static opaque HUDs, with the brightness near max and the TV is still burn-in free. Before this I had a Panasonic P55V60 (plasma) which ended up with burn-in under the same conditions.

Last edited:

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
For my plasma, I use burn-in fix videos on YouTube. They work a lot better than the fixer my TV has built in since it only lasts like 15 minutes. Plus, a lot of them are like 8 hours or longer on YouTube. Some of my burn-in has taken that long or longer to fix.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, it would be a minor inconvenience if they'd replace it within the 2y warranty. If they're not doing that, they can keep it.
Samsung had no issue replacing my KS8000 panel that had a bit of lightbleed in the bottom left corner, at home even.