• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
You're right. I have a 55" C8 and it has those safety options. However they were not ON by default. In fact I had been using the TV for nearly a week before I took a comprehensive check of the menus and found the pixel mover (I think) was off. The other option has to be done manually. I am aware of the issue with burn in and gaming so I try to either limit to a few hours or vary the content. After nearly 4 months it's still fine.
Had mine for 16 months or more now. The 2017 B7A, I game without worrying. Hours upon hours in AC odyssey, 80 hours in RDR2 over a month of gaming on it. 2 Playthroughs of God of War, a lot of Dragon Quest XI and a lot of Spider man. I am knocking on wood, it is fine for me as well.

Whenever I walk out of the room while youtube and netflix are paused, I come back to exploding dot screensaver. Or a Dimmer video until i move the wand remote. I just do not see it happening unless you are purposely leaving it like that without the options

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
My B6 has some burn in, or at least appears to have letterbox shaped burn in, and it's only really obvious when on a bright pink or red screen.

Noticed it playing a couple bits of Spyro a few weeks ago, and again today with my wife playing Luncheon Kingdom in Mario Odyssey, specifically the pink lava goop.

It's a bummer.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
All the "But the image retention is only temporary!!" OLED Apologist Force crack me up. Even if it's temporary, it's still annoying. Having to constantly mind the usage of my TV and run clean up tools is never something I had to do before, and I'm certainly not about to start now. I'll stick with LCD or QLED or something until they sort that shit out.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
All the "But the image retention is only temporary!!" OLED Apologist Force crack me up. Even if it's temporary, it's still annoying. Having to constantly mind the usage of my TV and run clean up tools is never something I had to do before, and I'm certainly not about to start now. I'll stick with LCD or QLED or something until they sort that shit out.

All of that is worth it to have the best image quality on the market. "Almost as good" doesn't cut it for a lot of us.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Plus the fact that no amount of tools will stop burn-in happen. It's accumulative and will happen sooner or later with repeated use of images with static (and even non-static) screen furniture.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I have stayed away from oled for this very reason.

All TVs are lottery's.

It's just another lottery to add into the mix.

Oh, and I can't stand LG. So there is that too.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
fascinating. Those burned-in screens are super scary. As one who pretty much only watches channels with tickers or logos if my TV is on during the day (MSNBC, CNN, ESPN), this pretty much means I am very unlikely to own a current-generation OLED. maybe never.
What I found most interesting is that one of the TVs constantly showing a news channel has not only the static screen graphics burned in, but also a blurry shape in the middle where the presenter sits.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Real bummer to hear. Hopefully next gen TVs don't get this.
High emission sets are coming next year so hopefully they use as much of the extra resources as possible towards eliminating burn in rather then just increasing the brightness. I presume they all come with 5 year warrantys that cover burn in. I might extend mine by another 2 next on top of it next time I buy.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
These T.V.s are like super cars. You can't just start s super car and immediately redline it down a track. You need to warm the car up and let it get to operating temperature to acheive proper clearance.

Same thing with OLEDs, you need to keep in mind how you're using the T.V. and plan accordingly to help mitigate burn in. My solution is simple, I watch a wide range of content on my set. It helps that I play a little bit of a lot of games instead of a lot of one game.

Last edited:

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
remember, the 2017+ OLEDS have loads of safety options. You just need the ones with the safety options.

Unless you plan to use an oled as a desktop monitor with icons, then it is never a good idea.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Plus the fact that no amount of tools will stop burn-in happen. It's accumulative and will happen sooner or later with repeated use of images with static (and even non-static) screen furniture.
How is it accumulative? I noticed the article says it too. But I don't get it.

Also, when I leave the tv for 3 minutes once in a while, I come back to exploding dot screensaver over netflix and youtube. When you combine these explodin dots with actually the images changing on the tv. How does it happen?

You're literally saying.... that if I watch youtube every day for 5 minutes (I click videos and they autochange, im not really roaming the youtube menu)... so if i watch daily for 5 minutes youtube.. in 2 years that youtube logo will finally be static and fixed and burnt in?

Versus leaving youtube on without the screensaver, where the logo stays fixed for an hour without touching the tv. ?

ridaxan

Oct 29, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa

100% agreed. I spent an extensive amount of time (for me at least) trying out various LG's during November/December trying to decide upon what to buy. I wasn't able to encounter a single OLED that didn't have temporary IR or full on burn-in during my visits to various stores to view some of the 2018 models.

I don't have the time to baby a screen. I don't have to time to worry about how it's feeling, whether it's going to be okay if there's a bit of sunlight in the room causing the phosphors to burn. Whether the "fake HDR" implementation of a videogame like RDR2 is gonna end up burning in to the screen around the cores part of the UI.

I used to have a 2012 plasma before this screen. I've done this rodeo before.

I settled for a QLED screen. I know it's not the best, but IR and eventual burn-in is a dealbreaker for me. I'm not going to spend R50000+ (about $3600) on a screen and then have to treat it with kid gloves.

Doorakz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an LG OLED C8, no issues with burn in so far. The way to limit your exposure to burn in is to avoid long play sessions of the same game which have static images and or mix up the content you play/watch. Even when the TV goes idle, it just plays fireworks on a black screen to avoid burn in if the TV is left on.

There should be a clean up option in the settings menu, hopefully that works for you. My understanding is light burn in will go away over time.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
All of that is worth it to have the best image quality on the market. "Almost as good" doesn't cut it for a lot of us.

If that were the case, and the best of the best image quality is that important to them, then all these people would immediately buy an Xbox One X (or build a PC) to play at native 4k instead of checkerboard 4k on Pro.

Somehow i doubt they've all done that.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
remember, the 2017+ OLEDS have loads of safety options. You just need the ones with the safety options.

Unless you plan to use an oled as a desktop monitor with icons, then it is never a good idea.
The fact the 2017 models have dramatically reduced the risk of burn in I'm fairly confident my 2020/21 model will have it almost nullified. I'll obviously take the usual precautions and make sure I have a good warranty.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100% agreed. I spent an extensive amount of time (for me at least) trying out various LG's during November/December trying to decide upon what to buy. I wasn't able to encounter a single OLED that didn't have temporary IR or full on burn-in during my visits to various stores to view some of the 2018 models.

Wouldn't that be a bigger issue for in-store models since they'll be playing a lot of the same display content over and over every day for ~12 hours a day? Burn in is an issue, but an in-store display unit seems like a prime way to get that burn in.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Wouldn't that be a bigger issue for in-store models since they'll be playing a lot of the same display content over and over every day for ~12 hours a day? Burn in is an issue, but an in-store display unit seems like a prime way to get that burn in.
Yeah, it was definitely because they are on and bright without the safety options themselves turned on in store.

In a realistic home setting, when you walk away from the TVs, the exploding dot screen saver turns on (assuming you turn the option on in the settings). With this and a few other options. There is no way the TV could be left on for more than 5-10 minutes when the image is paused or netflix youtube paused.

In a home setting, honestly. an individual has to TRY to get image burn. They have to purposely leave options off, and youtube hud turned on or the netflix logo showing for days.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, my next TV will definitely be a "normal" 4K. I've watched so many videos on yt and read so many posts on this topic
that I finally give in. I'm not the biggest slut when it comes to tech, ok my car is a bum's den, but dealing with this shit after spending 1.200-1.500€... no thanks. I guess I'll have to deal with those poor man's blacks instead.

Friggz

Oct 27, 2017
i was going to make a post about tv recommendations since im in the market for one but ive followed along here as well.

I dont play games that much anymore (and when i do it would be on a projector or plasma) and was looking for a tv with a good picture for the family room. Ive narrowed my search down to LGs 65 inch E8 but as many of you, i dont really want to be mindful of whats being displayed for fear of burn in. Am i better off waiting to see what the 2019 models have or see what progress micro Led makes?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Old topic and old discussion, but I want to put in a few cents.

People have known OLED burn in would be an issue for a very, very long time. Long before any production sets. People were also worried about blue diode lifetime.

OLED has come a really long way. Many issues have been improved or alleviated. I think OLED will absolutely get to better-than-CRT levels of durability. I don't think we're 100% there just yet, but it's coming. I don't think we have a plasma situation here at all (there no risk of OLED being a neglected tech).

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
C6 owner here since April 2016 and have done a ton of gaming on this TV including many 2D platformers with static HUDs and multiplayer like Rocket League. Also lots of kids TV with the logo indents in the corner. What I don't do is play the same game for 8 hours a day every day though (having a job and a life) so perhaps that's the difference.

Absolutely zero burn in. I've even done test slides to check I was missing anything and it's perfectly uniform.

Which is why I get so baffled by the reports of burn in. Obviously there's very occasional temporary image retention (visible with Xbox 'dark' theme for example) but this disappears within a minute as you would expect (and far quicker than my old plasma). It's normal. I wonder if those affected are putting their TV on standby (to allow the compensation cycle) or turning it off at the socket.

That said, if you get burn in I guess you're more likely to complain about it on the internet than someone who has no issues. And there could be variance between panels, models etc, who knows.

But my experience, as a fussy AV enthusiast who used to replace their TV every year, this is the best TV I've ever owned by a long way and the only reason I'm considering replacing it this year is for HDMI 2.1.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
This is why I couldnt bring myself to get an OLED. I simply play too many games or leave consoles on at the home screen etc.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
C6 owner here since April 2016 and have done a ton of gaming on this TV including many 2D platformers with static HUDs and multiplayer like Rocket League. Also lots of kids TV with the logo indents in the corner. What I don't do is play the same game for 8 hours a day every day though (having a job and a life) so perhaps that's the difference.

Absolutely zero burn in. I've even done test slides to check I was missing anything and it's perfectly uniform.

Which is why I get so baffled by the reports of burn in. Obviously there's very occasional temporary image retention (visible with Xbox 'dark' theme for example) but this disappears within a minute as you would expect (and far quicker than my old plasma). It's normal.

That said, if you get burn in I guess you're more likely to complain about it on the internet than someone who has no issues. And there could be variance between panels, models etc, who knows.

But my experience, as a fussy AV enthusiast who used to replace their TV every year, this is the best TV I've ever owned by a long way and the only reason I'm considering replacing it this year is for HDMI 2.1.
What are the safety options like for your set / 2016 year?

Off the top of my head, I can think of the exploding dot screensaver, the pixel shift, the pixel refresher (the automatic one that happens every time you turn tv off and the manual one you can do whenever you have an issue).

Honestly, I would worry a bit if I was you but you seem to be good for now. I am glad you dont have issues. Is it true that the 2016s do not have the safety options for sure. ?

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
This is why I couldnt bring myself to get an OLED. I simply play too many games or leave consoles on at the home screen etc.
If you got a 2017-2018 tv oled or onward .. any game you leave on and paused, You would arrive back a few minutes later to the screensaver at least.

So long as you dont leave the games paused or stationary for 10 hours for a week straight. you should be fine realistically.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
What are the safety options like for your set / 2016 year?

Off the top of my head, I can think of the exploding dot screensaver, the pixel shift, the pixel refresher (the automatic one that happens every time you turn tv off and the manual one you can do whenever you have an issue).

Honestly, I would worry a bit if I was you but you seem to be good for now. I am glad you dont have issues. Is it true that the 2016s do not have the safety options for sure. ?
There's the pixel shifter but I had it disabled since I got it. The screen automatically dims after a couple of minutes if you leave something static on.

Why would I worry a bit? No burn in whatsoever and it's almost 3 years, and will probably be replacing it with a C9 in April anyway.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I'm not babying my screen in the slightest. It's all about knowing what content you're going to use your display for. Same game with static HUD for hundreds and hundreds of hours? 3+ hours of the same TV channel daily for months? Don't get an OLED. Mixed games/movie content? No problem. It's what I'm running on my 2016 and it doesn't have a hint of permanent burn-in anywhere. There is probably temporary burn-in but it's not noticeable if you don't suddenly throw up color slides on the screen after prolonged use.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have the time to baby a screen. I don't have to time to worry about how it's feeling, whether it's going to be okay if there's a bit of sunlight in the room causing the phosphors to burn. Whether the "fake HDR" implementation of a videogame like RDR2 is gonna end up burning in to the screen around the cores part of the UI.

I used to have a 2012 plasma before this screen. I've done this rodeo before.

I settled for a QLED screen. I know it's not the best, but IR and eventual burn-in is a dealbreaker for me. I'm not going to spend R50000+ (about $3600) on a screen and then have to treat it with kid gloves.
This was the stance I took when I upgraded from my Pioneer Elite Pro-111fd plasma set. Having now had an LCD for nearly 3 years now (something I never thought I'd do), it has been so liberating to not ever have burn-in running in the back of my mind. I game for long sessions, too, so it was something I was especially fearful of.

If I get an OLED TV next (which will likely be the case), I'm going to buy it at Best Buy and pay the exorbitant price for Geek Squad protection, which does cover screen burn-in. That way I can at least find solace.

I'm not babying my screen in the slightest.

There is probably temporary burn-in but it's not noticeable if you don't suddenly throw up color slides on the screen after prolonged use.
I'd argue that falls under the "babying" definition.

Last edited:

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Old topic and old discussion, but I want to put in a few cents.

People have known OLED burn in would be an issue for a very, very long time. Long before any production sets. People were also worried about blue diode lifetime.

OLED has come a really long way. Many issues have been improved or alleviated. I think OLED will absolutely get to better-than-CRT levels of durability. I don't think we're 100% there just yet, but it's coming. I don't think we have a plasma situation here at all (there no risk of OLED being a neglected tech).

Yep, I play games on it daily and I don't worry about it. Still have zero burn-in after over year and change.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
There's the pixel shifter but I had it disabled since I got it. The screen automatically dims after a couple of minutes if you leave something static on.

Why would I worry a bit? No burn in whatsoever and it's almost 3 years, and will probably be replacing it with a C9 in April anyway.

eh, i just said it out of worry for lesser safety options.

Good stuff upgrading soon if you do.

I know though that without the screensaver, if i left netflix or youtube turned on, and i walked out of my room for 30 minutes. And if I did that daily. I would assume that burn in would happen. with the Logos of the apps.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
eh, i just said it out of worry for lesser safety options.

Good stuff upgrading soon if you do.

I know though that without the screensaver, if i left netflix or youtube turned on, and i walked out of my room for 30 minutes. And if I did that daily. I would assume that burn in would happen. with the Logos of the apps.
It wouldn't do, because the screen automatically dims after a couple of minutes to prevent that - that's something you can't even disable on the 2016 sets.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Even while gaming or watching movies with HDR? The OLED light needs to be at 100 for that. Otheriwse, for everything else I have mine at 40. Also, most people aren't generally going to do exhaustive research about TV panel types before buying one, so it's a bit unfair to say someone who puts a lot of hours into a single game on one is actually "mistreating" it. Plasmas and now OLEDs are notoriously bad at having to be babied, and the average consumer can't be bothered with such nonsense.
I'm still rocking my Panasonic ST60 with no image retention, and have never had to baby it. If you ask me image retention is the cost of being an early adopter. I still haven't bought into OLED, because I knew there would be these kinds of issues.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝

Here is a video of Rtings burn in test after 1 year. 6000 hours of CoD WW2 or sports clips didn't cause any burn-in. Only the CNN test did serious damage.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Here is a video of Rtings burn in test after 1 year. 6000 hours of CoD WW2 or sports clips didn't cause any burn-in. Only the CNN test did serious damage.

And that is with a C7. C8 has larger red pixels to help prevent burn in + logo dimming. Also if you play MP games you can change the screen safe space in your games options to move around the hud effecively halving your playtime

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still rocking my Panasonic ST60 with no image retention, and have never had to baby it. If you ask me image retention is the cost of being an early adopter. I still haven't bought into OLED, because I knew there would be these kinds of issues.

And I have a G10 from 2009 that had image retention for six months straight after only playing MvC3 in training mode for three hours. I still use it for some 1080p games with consoles, but it's awful at retention. Most any game after only a few hours will leave HUD marks all over the screen, and it takes weeks for it to finally go away. It also has permanent burn in from SF4, but you can only really tell while the TV is turning on. With actual content it's not noticeable, but it's still there.

And that is with a C7. C8 has larger red pixels to help prevent burn in + logo dimming. Also if you play MP games you can change the screen safe space in your games options to move around the hud effecively halving your playtime

Logo dimming was said to not do much of anything at all for burn in when it was first tested by HDTVTest when it was first introduced. That test video is good news I guess, but panels wildly vary.

Last edited:

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
How is it accumulative? I noticed the article says it too. But I don't get it.

Also, when I leave the tv for 3 minutes once in a while, I come back to exploding dot screensaver over netflix and youtube. When you combine these explodin dots with actually the images changing on the tv. How does it happen?

You're literally saying.... that if I watch youtube every day for 5 minutes (I click videos and they autochange, im not really roaming the youtube menu)... so if i watch daily for 5 minutes youtube.. in 2 years that youtube logo will finally be static and fixed and burnt in?

Versus leaving youtube on without the screensaver, where the logo stays fixed for an hour without touching the tv. ?
It's accumulative because what causes burn-in is the uneven aging of pixels. In OLED TVs the pixels get (very slowly) dimmer over time. Burn-in is when pixels are unevenly used in such a way that causes a permanent pattern. The most common thing is fixed screen furniture.

To answer your question, five mins of YouTube a day is about 60h of the logo showing. One of Rtings burn-in test TVs started showing burn-in after around 240h of static elements. So you should be safe. But whether that 60h is in one go or spread across two years, it will age the pixels the same way.

Of course, another factor in how soon uneven pixel aging results in noticeable burn-in is how the TV is used. If you watch a variety of content, permanent burn-in will take longer to notice.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I want to see If Sony brings out crystal LED (Micro LED) out this year and I might see what the pricing is like but I do want a 49 Inch or less screen so I doubt it'll happen.

Image burn does scare me so I haven't pulled the trigger on an OLED (even though the cost has come down a lot)

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
I have had the C8 for a little more than a month now and I am very happy. I have never imagined a TV could look this good. I am not as paranoid about burnin since I don't leave the TV on when I'm not using it. The only time that happened before is hanging out in orbit in Destiny and I moved to PC now so I don't have to worry about that.

I turned on the logo dimming feature though cause why not?

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I remember warning people in the TV thread here over a year ago and being attacked by OLED evangelists.

Luckily I had a lot of crow for them to chow on.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, no burn in, unless you watch movies with subtitles, play games that have slightly saturated UI elements, watch TV channels with slightly saturated logos and lowers 3rds.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
lol the amount of ESPN I've watched on my OLED and I have no burn in issues. Hell I've accidentally left it paused on images for hours.

Don't run it on VIVID, don't only watch one static channel. Most of it seems like red logos and stuff (ie CNN) can cause the most damage.

Anyways, nearly 3 years on an OLED here, and I never even THINK about burn-in, nor have I seen any.

oh and my dog sitter used to watch CNN every day on the TV. No issues there either.

Last edited:

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

Gaddamn it, CNN. I hate watching it on my iPad but I guess I have no choice now.

Edit
zcZuTg0.png

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i just realized my father in law is going to babysit, and will certainly watch hours of CNN at a time

damn... maybe OLED is not in my future :(

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Yeah, no burn in, unless you watch movies with subtitles, play games that have slightly saturated UI elements, watch TV channels with slightly saturated logos and lowers 3rds.

Movies with subtitles? That's varying content on screen for seconds. Do you watch the same movie 1000s of times in a row? Cause unless you're doing that subtitles won't burn in.
My post is also speaking pretty clearly about the cases in which burn in doesn't occur according to evidence provided by Rtings. Can't quite figure out why you decided to do a weird list like that in response to my post.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It's accumulative because what causes burn-in is the uneven aging of pixels. In OLED TVs the pixels get (very slowly) dimmer over time. Burn-in is when pixels are unevenly used in such a way that causes a permanent pattern. The most common thing is fixed screen furniture.

To answer your question, five mins of YouTube a day is about 60h of the logo showing. One of Rtings burn-in test TVs started showing burn-in after around 240h of static elements. So you should be safe. But whether that 60h is in one go or spread across two years, it will age the pixels the same way.

Of course, another factor in how soon uneven pixel aging results in noticeable burn-in is how the TV is used. If you watch a variety of content, permanent burn-in will take longer to notice.
i see, that is so weird.

technically, it sounds like if you were to leave the tv on for 100 hours straight with youtube logo. that would be worse than accumulating 60 hours in 2 years over 5 min per day.

I guess I will have to use with care regardless.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I used to use the internet browser on the Vita (before I got a smartphone) so much that I got burn in from the UI on the right side. OLED burn-in is very much a thing.

It was prone to happen on the vita as it was early oled tech. Most of the TV's from 2016 and onward should be pretty safe unless you are really irresponsible with your use, like leaving a news channel on all day

Oct 25, 2017
Games with static content, sports, etc. have not really exhibited any negative effects after over 5,000 hours. It was really only the CNN use cases.

Also, from the RTINGS.com test:
This test alone only demonstrates the effect of one of the use cases described above. It does not show the effect of changing between multiple sources (such as watching football 20% of the time, playing high-risk video games 50% of the time, and playing low risk video games 30% of the time)

Mixing content and using the panel normally could prevent any such issues although I do think that some panels may be more susceptible than others (e.g. panel lottery).

I owned a plasma for around 5-6 years and bought a new LG OLED E7 back in 2017. I have never had burn in on the plasma and after over a year of ownership I have not had a single problem with my LG OLED either. No image retention or burn in.

I play the majority of my games on PC with a monitor whenever possible but I do still play a fair amount of console exclusives on my TV. I have played hundreds of hours of games with static content like Xenoblade (100+ hours), Xenoblade Chronicles (approaching 100+ hours) and Persona 5 (60+ hours) and watched several hours of Twitch streams with static content on a daily basis like Overwatch and Overwatch League. During the first season of OWL, I watched nearly every single game which was roughly 4-6 hours a night for 3 or more days a week. I still watch some streamers on a fairly regular basis like Seagull, Dafran, XQC, etc.

I might not play any games on my TV at all during the week and then binge for 10-20+ hours of the same game(s) on the weekend. I might also play 10-20+ hours of the same game in one week but spread out in 2-3 hour gaming sessions mixed with a lot of other content. While I am not overly concerned about burn in, I would certainly avoid playing the same game with a static UI for hundreds of hours with no other content mixed in.

I am willing to accept the risk (which based on the tests from RTINGS are extremely minimal) for having the best possible image quality.