• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can a ghost play video games?

• Yes, a ghost can play video games.

Votes: 65 35.5%
  • A ghost could only play certain video games.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • No, a ghost cannot play video games.

Votes: 85 46.4%

• Total voters

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Ghosts are non-corporeal and cannot interact with the physical world directly, but they can manipulate and produce energy. This energy can create sound waves, temperature changes, as well as elicit feelings and sensations in humans and animals. Poltergeists in particular are capable of possessing other entities and objects to varying effect, which they use as a vessel for their energy.

So you might be thinking: a poltergeist can just possess an arcade cabinet or a controller and play a game that way. I can see why you would draw this conclusion, but this is not the solution it seems. When a poltergeist possesses an object it becomes that object. Nobody could be expected to to win a Street Fighter II tournament from inside the cabinet. So while it may technically allow control of the machinery, it's not really akin to playing the game normally.

But controllers and input devices all work by sending electrical signals from the device itself to the system, which produces results in the game. A ghost could easily manipulate these electrical signals to replicate the function of the controller and produce the desired input in the game itself. The question is whether a ghost could produce the thousands of electrical signals necessary, and with the required accuracy, to play all kinds of games. But a ghost could probably play an NES game, right? Could a ghost play Minecraft? How much energy does it take to produce these electrical signals? The strength of the entity would need to be taken into account. Fortnite probably takes way more energy than playing Super Mario Bros on an NES or something.

It's also possible that a poltergeist possess a human and play video games this way, but I don't think a ghost would want to be reliant on a human host unless it wanted to have a public competitive presence. Like if it needed to go to EVO or something.

There are also some ethical concerns to take into account. If a ghost can freely manipulate electrical signals required to play a game, this means they could also alter data. They could probably circumvent trophy and achievement requirements, which is cheap. They also may not be qualified for speedrunning. But as long as they adhere to the category rules they might be able to be ranked.

Why don't more ghosts and spirits play video games? What's your plan to continue gaming when you're dead?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was well established after Casper the not-so-friendly ghost had a few heated gamer moments

housequake

Aug 24, 2021
This is precisely the kind of thing I will suddenly obsess over at 4 in the morning after a night on the bong, and I am totally here for it.

When I die I'm going to haunt my Sonic 3 cartridge like that Ben Drowned creepypasta.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
I love when the boards deliver season-appropriate threads like these. Next up, I want to see a thread that argues whether the monster who lives under my bed is more of a PlayStation or Xbox fan.

Also, ghosts do not exist. If they did, they'd help me nail the QTEs in Metroid Dread.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
i mean how else do people have time for service games

can't do it while you're alive

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
You mention poltergeists OP. In the film of the same name, one possesses the TV. Surely that means a games console is viable as a portal to the netherworld too.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
So you might be thinking: a poltergeist can just possess an arcade cabinet or a controller and play a game that way. I can see why you would draw this conclusion, but this is not the solution it seems. When a poltergeist possesses an object it becomes that object. Nobody could be expected to to win a Street Fighter II tournament from inside the cabinet. So while it may technically allow control of the machinery, it's not really akin to playing the game normally.
You could set up a series of mirrors to see the screen from inside the arcade cabinet that you possessed. But I'm not sure how you would move the mirrors. Maybe you could use your ectoplasm jelly to spell out politely worded instructions to the arcade owner.

FashionRobota

Sep 16, 2021
what games a ghost would play ? and are there ghost gamers, if so, then what would they complaim about ? So many questions

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
The real play is to become a shut-in vampire. Eternity to finish your backlog, and don't need to worry about screen glare from the windows during the day.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, this is all anyone wants to talk about these days 🙄

But yes, a ghost could totally play a video game. In my heart at least. I wanna see a ghost wreck shit on Q*Bert.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Racing games have ghosts, and they're definitely the closest thing to real ghosts were have tbh—an afterimage of someone that appears to us as if they were really there, who we can almost interact with, but never truly touch.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
google search can i fuck a ghost in the sims stomp stop stop voice siri stomp voice recorder stop

Oct 25, 2017
Manipulating electric signals is hard.
Like using an anvil to press the button on the controller.
You'd need to be an exceptionally swoll ghost to do that efficiently.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Racing games have ghosts, and they're definitely the closest thing to real ghosts were have tbh—an afterimage of someone that appears to us as if they were really there, who we can almost interact with, but never truly touch.
This poses the question as whether a ghost, as an entity of pure energy, could take the form of save data.

Could you store a ghost on a hard drive? Maybe if the ghost was cooperative. Maybe it wants to only exist in Skyrim?

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States