• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
It's not just right-wing groups seeking power to make things worse for anyone who's not white and upper class.

It's also climate change. The effect it'll have on Earth, the ecosystem, the species, and future generations.

Not only that, but the continuing social, racial, and economic that still plague the world for many years with no end in sight. Will the marginalized groups ever live their lives without fear or being treated as lesser beings? I doubt it

For anyone who still have hope that the future can be good or things can be fixed, I can't help but feel they are deluded they still believe that.

Like.... how can you keep believing that there's a hope for the future?

Dec 2, 2017
Seriously dude, another topic on your hopeless view of the world? Seek therapy. Don't ignore people who say it, don't find excuses.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I can have hope because even the worst-case studies of climate change have no example where the entire human race is destroyed. That scenario is basically limited to planet-destroying events, like extinction-event meteorites.

So, humans will survive, and as long as humans survive, even if modern civilization is effectively destroyed, there's a chance for a rebound.

EDIT: Oh, you've made this same post a few times now. I mean this 100% genuinely, but if you find yourself dwelling constantly on hopeless thoughts, you may want to seek the help of a professional, e.g. therapy. I say this as someone that is a huge supporter of therapy/psychiatry and I believe almost everyone could benefit from routinely visiting a therapist, but I think it's an especially valuable experience if you have constant thoughts of dread, hopelessness, or existential crises-type of feelings.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Life is better for more people today than at any time in human history
I have faith that humans will continue to make life better for themselves

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
You've been on this vibe for a couple weeks now.

Relax my guy. It'll be ok.

Mostly.

Probably.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
By not having a defeatist attitude.

Yes climate change is a very real issue that needs to be addressed.

Yes racial, social and economic issues are all very real.

It's still an objective fact that for the majority of people that world is a far better place than it ever has been. That's reason for hope.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If you live in a rich nation I assume you'll be mostly fine. Save your concerns for those not so lucky & for wildlife.

Prof. Booty

Banned
Jan 1, 2020
It's not just right-wing groups seeking power to make things worse for anyone who's not white and upper class.

It's also climate change. The effect it'll have on Earth, the ecosystem, the species, and future generations.

Not only that, but the continuing social, racial, and economic that still plague the world for many years with no end in sight. Will the marginalized groups ever live their lives without fear or being treated as lesser beings? I doubt it

For anyone who still have hope that the future can be good or things can be fixed, I can't help but feel they are deluded they still believe that.

Like.... how can you keep believing that there's a hope for the future?

Was their this point in time we achieved utopia and now we are straying from it?
Of all the things you have mentioned where have we regressed over the last 20, 30, 50 years?

While we arent a perfect society when it comes to war, climate, equality..I'm sure all those things have drastically improved between 2000 to 2020.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
By not having a defeatist attitude.

Yes climate change is a very issue that needs to be addressed.

Yes racial, social and economic issues are all very real.

It's still an objective fact that for the majority people that word is a far better place than it ever has been. That's reason for hope.

And yet, millienials feel they're in a tight spot financially and see no light at the end of the tunnel

Why that's the case if the world itself is "objectively better" at the current state?

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I understand the cynicism and scepticism, but try to be the change you want to see in the world. Get politically active, sign up for a political party or an informal group of like-minded individuals, and organise. And if that sounds scary, at the very least read a lot. Read theory, read about what alternative systems we can switch to. The world will need intellectuals now more than ever.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why do you keep making threads about your personal hopelessness.

Talk to someone and stop making topics

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's important to make clear that Climate Change won't make the Earth a lifeless rock and that it will not lead to the extinction of humanity.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
For the most part I am vastly optimistic about the future. One thing I will say though is that I think we need to do a lot more to preserve our knowledge in preparation for potential extinction events (primarily impact events).

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine being born at the begin of the 20th century. And we still made it.

• First World War
• Spanish flu
• Second World War
• Cold War (aka constant fear)

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Go read up on history and how people were treated / had to live in the past.

Life is better now then its ever been, it'll only get better.

Hell; in 2019 I even started believing that we will fix climate change as well.

Deleted member 35217

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
The sky has been falling throughout all of recorded history. Things could be so much better but this is not the end.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Anxiety and hopelessness about global issues is greatly exacerbated by not tending to your mental health. I see too many of these kinds of threads on Era where people interpret the state of the world as a hint that they can never be happy and that life isn't worth living . Please don't ignore the people begging you to seek help, because even in this messed up world there is hope for you and for all of us

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Ignore the world play video games. The world carried on for millions of years before, it'll carry on for millions afterwards. Let humans do their big grand scheme things. It'll get better eventually as far as we can tell even if things are shit now.

But if you aren't able to dissociate your own feelings from the state of the world, then yeah. Therapist.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
That's a bit insidious and a little creepy from you, isn't it?

But I suppose you're satisfied now. Now everyone will mock me and harass me for this :/

I understand how you're feeling OP. Don't bother listening to the Steven Pinker's and his ilk who have a motive for telling folks everything is fine and folks repeating similar rhetoric in here. That only gives into complacency.

The thing is you can't give in despair because things are looking bleak and times are likely to get hard. If anything its a bigger reason to be a light in the darkness. Your body is telling you something is wrong, you need to take that feeling and energy and turn it into action. Even doing something simple like working out if you dont is a start, but I highly suggest like someone else said look into where you can help make societal change at the local level and go from there.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
"Hope is like the sun. If you only believe in it when you can see it, you'll never make it through the night."

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest Animal Crossing is the only reason I'm holding on at this point. It'll be devastating if it isn't good

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Hope is a pseudo-useful but also utterly useless concept to distract from reality. So you don't have to have hope you can just be. Treat every day as it's own thing. Go about your business. Do no harm, as little as you can in ways you can if that is important to you, and death will come in the end. You could be hoping all that time but all that is is a mental go around in your brain. Meanwhile, reality continues to happen regardless of what you are hoping will happen. Only action will bring about change - hope is like prayers = useless mental distractions. Do or do not I think some small green fella once said.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Just a bizarre view of the world to me. Of course there's shitty people and things going on right now... there always has. You are just ignoring all the good out there which is strange to me.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
You never replied back to me Hawkster. You need help friend. This is not normal. Get therapy.

Nos

Oct 27, 2017
You would be surprised just how much of what you feel might just be chemical imbalance in your brain. I'm not saying that what you're describing is not troublesome, but it shouldn't affect you to this level. Go do a blood test, check everything (especially vitamins and testosterone level) and consult with a doctor, you might find your answers there.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm just speaking from my personal experience.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to see it as all things have an end. At some point the Earth will be tired of our bullshit and will try to mostly delete the disease known as humankind. We did nothing to prevent it, so at this point, we deserve it.

I just hope I won't live to witness it at this point.

Mar 30, 2019
Overwhelming despair is an extreme position and just as deluded as pure optimism. It also degrades you and feels like absolute shit. I will not go back to that state of mind ever again and neither should you.

If you are looking for meaning, it is more powerful to start small and build for your own reasons. It will snowball if you put the time in, but you have to care about yourself. You matter, we all do.

Even those massive assholes I vehemently disagree with. I want them to make healthier choices. Because if they are sick, I might get sick again too. Improve what is in reach. That's all you can do and that's meaningful, please believe me.

This is not me reprimanding you. Just do the right thing and seek help for your sake at minimum.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a bit insidious and a little creepy from you, isn't it?

But I suppose you're satisfied now. Now everyone will mock me and harass me for this :/

i noticed it too, it's not hard when you have avatars turned on for threads, to see who's posting a lot incidentally.

i have to echo the others, you need real therapy. not trying to embarrass anyone. but you don't want to end up on A List.

I mean... just these two:

Is it a bad thing to research about firearms?

Have you have had moments where you just don't feel anything at all?

talk to someone, seriously, there's zero shame in doing so

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you guys need to take a break from the Internet and the news cycle, it's seriously not good for your mental health. Go outside, because if what you say is true, you still have some time to enjoy what's left.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And yet, millienials feel they're in a tight spot financially and see no light at the end of the tunnel

Why that's the case if the world itself is "objectively better" at the current state?

Honestly, I think the problem with our generation vs that of our parents is overexposure. We have instant access to everything happening in the world, and with that comes constant panic, because the world is an enormous place and our brains are not really equipped to cope with that kind of influx of information.