• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA

I saw this in store, and holy shit, this might as well be my holy grail. A television sized monitor. Don't really care about HDR as I just want those frames for multiplayer games. Damn, maybe in a year or so if I focus on it I can afford it. I'd be future proof for life...

I don't need it....

All the benefits of a monitor at the size of a television....damn

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When the LG 2019 OLED exists. Why?

My 65" LG C9 cost me $1900 after a 4 year warranty. It blows that away I'm willing to bet.

Zeth

Feb 8, 2018
Ballsy of them to manufacture this, that's for sure. But I can't see paying an extra $800 for this over a 65" C9. I'll have to check it out at Microcenter.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
When the LG 2019 OLED exists. Why?
You get 4K144 today, on a wide range of hardware.
LG's OLEDs will only do 1440p120 today, and requires a 16 or 20 series GPU. They will require another GPU upgrade for 4K120 once HDMI 2.1 is available.

I'd still choose the OLED, but there are reasons you might want one of these at the moment.

TVs don't do true 120 hz, they're interpolated.
They do native 120Hz.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Nvidia released the HDMI 2.1 VRR update to Turing GPUs already, so the owners of an LG C9 and an RTX 20xx or GTX 16XX cards are enjoying it already....I'm jelly

They updated them to work with G-Sync on the OLEDs, but they don't have HDMI 2.1 and therefore lack the bandwidth to send a 2160p120 signal. So you can only do 2160p60 or 1440p120 until NVIDIA releases a GPU with proper HDMI 2.1. The TV is ready, the GPUs aren't.

Oct 25, 2017
The BFGD's seem pretty good at first:

...until you get to the 120hz OLEDs

If the 2020 models get 120fps for 120hz Black Frame Insertion support at 4k resolution, they'll be a m a z i n g .

Last edited:

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
TVs don't do true 120 hz, they're interpolated.
As the others have said, the 2019 LG C9 tv's are true 120hz panels. Probably will be the same going forward for their flagship line.

Nah man burn in and low peak brightness kills OLED. MicroLED and Quantum dot led is where it's at.
From the burn in tests RTings have done, the risk of burn in in modern OLED's is rather low unless you're either very unlucky or using your tv in an extreme constant use scenario with constant static images.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
C9 Pc gaming crew checking in. The future is here now
giphy.gif

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Nah man burn in and low peak brightness kills OLED. MicroLED and Quantum dot led is where it's at.
Top emission oled fixes burn in and brightness.
Good chance Samsung is ditching microled in favor of oled for consumer TVs at least for awhile.
www.cnet.com

Samsung's QD-OLED TV might be here very soon. Here's everything we know

Samsung's rumored OLED TV with quantum dots could be coming as soon as 2022, and the new technology is set to challenge the best from rival LG.

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Monitors are disgustingly overpriced at the moment, im not sure why either, but getting a big OLED does sound better.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
What panel does it have? What's the response time? Is there shadowing?
I bought an ultra wide this summer which turned out to have worse picture in motion than my old ass ASUS gsync 144hz screens. Awesome in still pics but looked like crap in motion. Returned it the same day.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
LG C9's are amazing. G-Sync, HDR, 120hz with the PQ of an OLED is pretty much the holy grail, and we don't even have the GPU's to push them yet. Currently playing RDR2 at 1440p on all high settings. Frame rate rarely goes below 60, and it is incredible to finally not have stuttering.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Was it playing a game?

I'd love to be able to experience a game at 144hz at a store but I've never been to one that let you. I'm always shocked when I go to Fry's and there's a ton of gaming monitors on display, but all you can do is mess around the Windows desktop. Did no one think it might be easier to sell these extremely expensive monitors if you could actually see the benefit of them? It's kind of cool to see how smoothly the cursor moves around the desktop and how text says a lot more legible if you move a window around, but come on, I want to see an FPS running at 144hz or something.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Seems like a downgrade compared to a LG C9 at a higher price. Embrace the fact that TVs >> monitors

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Was it playing a game?

I'd love to be able to experience a game at 144hz at a store but I've never been to one that let you. I'm always shocked when I go to Fry's and there's a ton of gaming monitors on display, but all you can do is mess around the Windows desktop. Did no one think it might be easier to sell these extremely expensive monitors if you could actually see the benefit of them? It's kind of cool to see how smoothly the cursor moves around the desktop and how text says a lot more legible if you move a window around, but come on, I want to see an FPS running at 144hz or something.
Exactly! This is what happened to me in the scenario I explained above. The new screen looked great at the store on the Windows desktop, no problems at all, and it had gsync and 144hz etc going by the specs. What could go wrong? Well at home when playing a game it turned out it had shadowing issues and just wasn't quick enough or whatever, it simply looked worse in motion than the 6 year old screens I planned to swap out.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
PC hardware isn't there yet, even with a beastly rig, so it's kinda wasted money imo.
1440p 144hz is more realistic.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, today I learned.
Hey, it's a cool and useful thread, and you're one of the incredibly few people on the internet who actually listen rather than belligerently argue for no reason :)

I bought a 4k oled a few years ago and genuinely thought I wouldn't need another TV for many years....

But that C9 is looking damn nice with the 120hz....

The best thing is I don't really need the tech until the series X comes out next year!! Hopefully by then I might actually be able to afford one!

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As the others have said, the 2019 LG C9 tv's are true 120hz panels. Probably will be the same going forward for their flagship line.

From the burn in tests RTings have done, the risk of burn in in modern OLED's is rather low unless you're either very unlucky or using your tv in an extreme constant use scenario with constant static images.

You mean like, a PC Desktop?

my B7 LG looks great, but 100% that will get burn in so fast with a PC Desktop.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
kinda nuts i went through two 1440p 144hz monitors the past decade and on the eve of 2020 i spent less than half of what a 4k variant would run me at

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
šŸ
They updated them to work with G-Sync on the OLEDs, but they don't have HDMI 2.1 and therefore lack the bandwidth to send a 2160p120 signal. So you can only do 2160p60 or 1440p120 until NVIDIA releases a GPU with proper HDMI 2.1. The TV is ready, the GPUs aren't.
The TV isn't ready yet either. LG hasn't released the update for 4K HFR over HDMI yet. They said it was coming this year but it clearly isn't. The Q90R can already do 4k 120Hz with 4:2:0 chrome subsampling.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I posted on my twitter , but as there are a few Pc C9ers here. Do not use PC mode.
it kills image quality.
Change your PC input's name to game console instead

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Monitors are disgustingly overpriced at the moment, im not sure why either, but getting a big OLED does sound better.

I wish I had space for a TV on my desk because fishing for monitors right now is depressing. Prices are fucking ridiculous for stuff that's really inferior to what LG offers now with OLED, especially HDR which is so far behind.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
šŸ
I posted on my twitter , but as there are a few Pc C9ers here. Do not use PC mode.
it kills image quality.
Change your PC input's name to game console instead
It causes banding right? Is PC mode the only way to get full chroma? That's going to be an issue for people wanting to use the rumored 2020 smaller OLEDs as a monitor. Unless they fix it next year of course.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It causes banding right? Is PC mode the only way to get full chroma? That's going to be an issue for people wanting to use the rumored 2020 smaller OLEDs as a monitor. Unless they fix it next year of course.

yeah, it basically drops the bit depth down to sub 8bit quality.
It may be a limitation of the processor or the interface, perhaps it will be solved when the full bandwidth update comes.
Even so, at 4K on a small screen Chroma alignment isn't really a concern.