• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I'm mainly complaining about sitting on the COVID thing. Having Trump's words on the danger in February could have pushed him into a corner somewhat and swayed policy or opinion.
Trump had people speaking at his press conferences not 10 feet from him telling him how dangerous Covid was. Trump was going to do what he did any way. The only new information added is that Woodward outed that he was grasping and understanding what he was being told instead of just being stupid.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
They give us money, they have oil, they only exist because of us, we're just going to take his word on it. This is his mindset...
"Do you believe that he did it?" Woodward asked.

"No, he says that he didn't do it," Trump replied.

"I know, but do you really believe —" Woodward began before Trump cut him off.

"He says very strongly that he didn't do it. Bob, they spent $400 billion over a fairly short period of time," the president said. "And you know, they're in the Middle East. You know, they're big. Because of their religious monuments, you know, they have the real power. They have the oil, but they also have the great monuments for religion. You know that, right? For that religion."

"They wouldn't last a week if we're not there, and they know it," he added.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I'm talking about public health not the election. The predominant right-wing talking point for 6 months was "The flu is worse, COVID isn't that dangerous". Having a quote from Trump that said the opposite would have squashed that.

no offense, but Trump has made numerous contradictory statements about the nature of the virus -- why would this one be any different?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
If everything he's continually knocked to second, third, fourth place and even out of memory in just the past two weeks alone is any indication, this won't matter at all. Mind you, he himself, knocks his own abhorrent stories down with new, worse ones. Yet he remains. We will never see anything quite like it again.

Oct 25, 2017
no offense, but Trump has made numerous contradictory statements about the nature of the virus -- why would this one be any different?
Because it was in February and it was an audio recording of Trump saying exactly the opposite of what the dominant talking point was (and still is for many).

Nothing Trump says or does will ever affect his polling - I'm not talking about politically hurting Trump. I'm talking about how the public talked about and understood the virus, especially in the early months.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I feel like Trump has his hand in nearly every major crime in the last 4 years. How is nothing touching him? I'm scared to death that he is going to get re-elected and just continue on committing even worse crimes. :(

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Because it was in February and it was an audio recording of Trump saying exactly the opposite of what the dominant talking point was (and still is for many).

Nothing Trump says or does will ever affect his polling - I'm not talking about politically hurting Trump. I'm talking about how the public talked about and understood the virus, especially in the early months.

Why do people keep saying this when the polling has been affected and continues to be affected? Trump isn't leading any polls, and stuff like this with less than two months to go isn't going to help him.

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep saying this when the polling has been affected and continues to be affected? Trump isn't leading any polls, and stuff like this with less than two months to go isn't going to help him.
He's always been losing in the polls though? I'm saying that the revelations in this book won't sway his supporters.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I feel like Trump has his hand in nearly every major crime in the last 4 years. How is nothing touching him? I'm scared to death that he is going to get re-elected and just continue on committing even worse crimes. :(
President Mitch McConnell won't let anything happen to him.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course Trump protected MBS. This is par for the course. If Hillary was in the Oval Office she would have too, might have voiced some pointed disapproval instead of just ignoring the murder like Trump did, but there are very few politicians inside the Beltway who are going to burn the relationship with Saudi Arabia to the ground. Even though we should have long done so, for their treatment of women, gays, dissidents, etc.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Funny how he believes the worse people.

Was it the Saudies who got Kushner out the hole on his mega debts?

Yes, Trump also benefits directly from them with things like the royals renting hundreds of rooms at his hotels for no reason. Trump has a transactional mind, you give him money and praise = he's good.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019

Hard to predict what would have happened. Maybe on this one Trump is at the whim of his base -- I would imagine if he had said from the start to wear a mask, many still wouldn't have, especially given that it hadn't killed a large amount of people at the time.

Realistically, Trump would have probably been more concerned about the stock market and would have doubled down harder on dismissing any concerns about the virus, despite the recording.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm fed up with all this shit.

He has done enough damage to be put behind bars for more than a lifetime. Yet here we are, with the real possibility he gets to govern another 4 years. At this point not only did the POTUS fail his people, the whole system is broken. It's beyond salvation. The only way for people to win is to tear it all down, but I don't see it happening. Social media and entertainment have effectively brainwashed most. Also when you have a family to feed, a mortgage, a car loan, credit cards and such it's harder to protest and make real change happen.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
This serves zero effect today and zero 3-4 months ago. I'm complaining about him withholding COVID info.

I have little faith that proof Trump was lying about COVID would have made any difference then either. Anyone with half a brain could see that without this further proof, and his poor numbers around COVID prove that that did, in fact, happen without this information.

Disco Stu

Oct 27, 2017

Trump said as much back then publicly too. The transcript from a news briefing was circulating on Twitter (etc) yesterday.

Didn't make a damn bit of difference with this followers.

The rest of us have been taking it seriously since day one.

Your outrage should be at him/them. Not Woodward.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
This stuff just gets even more insane every day, we all knew trump most likely was doing all this corrupt shit non stop as it was clear as day, but seeing it all come out one after another with actual tapes shows just how little he cares for his duties as president and only cares for the fame the position could bring him, it's why he was so happy to do these interviews to try and be famous, his ego just can't be controlled no matter how many adults you throw in a room to try and stop him from himself.

To those saying that it's wrong that the tapes and news was held for a book, while yes it sucks they didn't make it public, especially the covid related stuff until after the usa was basically at war with itself over covid with the sane people trying to stop the crazy trumpers, I have to feel that if this stuff had come out earlier and spread over more time, trump either would have had an easier job to deflect, or wouldn't have said so much on so many subjects that could come out. It's sad so many Americans have died from covid, but I honestly believe if the news related to covid came our earlier trump would find a way to move the narrative again and it would have been forgotten and wouldn't have changed how he reacted and got his base to behave. Now with it all coming all at once there is no way trump can weather this storm so close to the elected I would hope.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm talking about public health not the election. The predominant right-wing talking point for 6 months was "The flu is worse, COVID isn't that dangerous". Having a quote from Trump that said the opposite would have squashed that.
People who actually give a shit what he thinks would have said then what they're saying to me now... "I don't care what he says in private. He tells ME the truth.".

Jan 29, 2018
The way he says "he says he didn't do" and "they spent $400 billion over a fairly short period of time" in practically the same breath is so illustrative of how Trump's mind works.

Of course MBS didn't do it because it would be inconvenient to Trump if he had.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
"Last year, he vetoed a bipartisan bill to end US support for the Saudis in Yemen. The war in Yemen has led to a devastating humanitarian crisis, and the Saudi-led coalition has killed civilians using US-made bombs.

The president also bypassed Congress to push through an arms sale worth roughly $8 billion to the Saudis and the United Arab Emirates, and he later vetoed several resolutions blocking the sale.

More recently, Trump has moved to circumvent a decades-old arms-control pact in order to sell weaponized drones to the Saudis and to other countries in the region, sparking backlash from Democrats and Republicans in Congress."

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I just read this... I have no words... I knew this man had no bottom but just to see him going to new lows just makes me depressed. I am so angry that I want to cry.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
"The people at the Post are upset about the Khashoggi killing, that is one of the most gruesome things. You yourself have said."

"Yeah, but Iran is killing 36 people a day, so —" Trump began.

Man.....

this is just more of a peek inside his psyche. He is such a broken human being. An American resident journalist is murdered secretly in Turkey in an embassy, his body is cut up with a bone saw, and the assassination team is spirited away to Saudi Arabia, the murder was issued by one of the leaders of SAudi Arabia.

And... Trump's response is "But Iran is killing 36 people a day" Like, as if that justifies killing .... an American journalist ....? Like.... because... another country is killing someone somewhere Saudi Arabia should be permitted to murder Americans......?